• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV Lottery 2017 - Questions

Hello to all, I'm new to the forum and as everyone said before "I started reading to gain more insight about the DV Lottery." I'm from Saudi Arabia, and this is my first time attempting for the DV lottery, I'm excited and nervous in the same time. I have studied in the state from 2006-2013, and I fell in love with the multicultural and the active community that this country has. I'm fully aware that the chances aren't that high, plus I read some posts where some members this forum have been trying and still trying for 3-5 years if not more.

I started reading this forum after I knew about the Photo requirements which it seemed like a nightmare for everyone, it freaked me out as well. I used the photo validato, so I assume I'm fine, No?. If I had any difficulties in understanding, I will try my best not to confuse anyone in the process hahaha

Anyways, I wish everyone the best

Hello to all, I'm new to the forum and as everyone said before "I started reading to gain more insight about the DV Lottery." I'm from Saudi Arabia, and this is my first time attempting for the DV lottery, I'm excited and nervous in the same time. I have studied in the state from 2006-2013, and I fell in love with the multicultural and the active community that this country has. I'm fully aware that the chances aren't that high, plus I read some posts where some members this forum have been trying and still trying for 3-5 years if not more.

I started reading this forum after I knew about the Photo requirements which it seemed like a nightmare for everyone, it freaked me out as well. I used the photo validato, so I assume I'm fine, No?. If I had any difficulties in understanding, I will try my best not to confuse anyone in the process hahaha

Anyways, I wish everyone the best

As long as the photo is a clear photo of you (nothing in there that makes your face look wildly different) that is the right size and measurements, you're fine. Try not to worry too much. The picture I submitted last year was by no means perfect and I was selected no problems. :)

There will be DV2017, there's no official announcement yet. Just keep an eye out.
Hi mom, a friend is applying for 2017. His wife didn't complete high school, the basic academic requirements. She isn't the principal applicant. Will it affect him during the interviews? I have read somewhere that even the derivative (spouse) should meet the academic standards. Please help

Hi,
after the selection can someone get the 1NL late September or all entrants get the message simultaneously?

Keep in mind that the photo verification tool only checks for technical specs, as far as I'm aware. It does not check for composition, shadows...
If you put a dog's photo with the correct technical specs, it will pass the verification.

So one can successfully complete the application for the Lottery, but be discarded afterwards for photo requirements.
hi,does everyone get the message stating that one is selected on may 1st

Hi mom, a friend is applying for 2017. His wife didn't complete high school, the basic academic requirements. She isn't the principal applicant. Will it affect him during the interviews? I have read somewhere that even the derivative (spouse) should meet the academic standards. Please help

The spouse only needs the same qualification if the winner is using her to cross charge. Otherwise it doesn't matter and only the principal needs to meet the requirements.

The spouse only needs the same qualification if the winner is using her to cross charge. Otherwise it doesn't matter and only the principal needs to meet the requirements.
Thanks Susie for prompt response. As an excited successful 2016 winner, I am helping friends where I can and asking many to apply. I am also encouraging two of my fellow winners to join forum so they can get the best advice from the pros directly. For instance, one of them wants to know what entails the Embassy background checks. And does the embassy conduct them when applicant submits his papers on the day of interview? It is really a trying time for every preselectee I guess but you guys help us soak up the pressure. Great work

Most of the background checks are done prior to interview. If there is something particular about a case (anything from the same name as someone on a terrorism list to questions about documents presented) then further checks might be done after, in which case the person is then under 'administrative processing'.

Most of the background checks are done prior to interview. If there is something particular about a case (anything from the same name as someone on a terrorism list to questions about documents presented) then further checks might be done after, in which case the person is then under 'administrative processing'.
Thanks once again

Hi All,
This is my 5th year applying DV. But still, the first question ‘NAME’ always got me confused. I’m Burmese. So basically I have no first and last name. Every year when I fill up the DV application, I just checked no first name, no last name, and put my full name in Middle Name box. But I always felt sceptical about it. Can anybody please suggest is there any other more appropriate way to complete the ‘NAME’ section.
FYI, in my passport itself, my full name appeared under the ‘Name’. That’s it.
Please help.

Hi All,
This is my 5th year applying DV. But still, the first question ‘NAME’ always got me confused. I’m Burmese. So basically I have no first and last name. Every year when I fill up the DV application, I just checked no first name, no last name, and put my full name in Middle Name box. But I always felt sceptical about it. Can anybody please suggest is there any other more appropriate way to complete the ‘NAME’ section.
FYI, in my passport itself, my full name appeared under the ‘Name’. That’s it.
Please help.

This was covered for another user. The advise from USCIS is you can put your full name in either the First Name or Last Name field. Flag the other (unused) fields as no name.

Having said that, I'm sure you wouldn't be penalized for putting your name in the "Middle Name" field either.

Um...I don't see how it is possible to have a middle name if you don't have any others to put it in the middle of? So yes I'd also go either first or last name.

Thanks, MattWatt and SusieQQQ. Is it ok to just put my full name in "First Name" field this time round? The mean it doesn't match with previous years data. Would it be a problem?

As long as the photo is a clear photo of you (nothing in there that makes your face look wildly different) that is the right size and measurements, you're fine. Try not to worry too much. The picture I submitted last year was by no means perfect and I was selected no problems. :)

I feel less worried now haha, Thank you for your reply. I have so many questions, its just I'm not sure where to start. I believe I should read before asking so I won't look/sound like a headless chicken.

The question that I'm currently trying find is: all countries are required to submit the same docs, or its different for every country. I saw the Excel file "I believe mom posted it" in the DV2016 thread, and I wasn't sure if those steps apply to my country "Saudi Arabia" OR I have to wait till I get selected then wait for the instructions.
I FEEL LIKE I JUST ANSWERED MYSELF

Anyways,

My only issue is that I'm getting too excited and I keep forgetting that its based on luck..

I feel less worried now haha, Thank you for your reply. I have so many questions, its just I'm not sure where to start. I believe I should read before asking so I won't look/sound like a headless chicken.

The question that I'm currently trying find is: all countries are required to submit the same docs, or its different for every country. I saw the Excel file "I believe mom posted it" in the DV2016 thread, and I wasn't sure if those steps apply to my country "Saudi Arabia" OR I have to wait till I get selected then wait for the instructions.
I FEEL LIKE I JUST ANSWERED MYSELF

Anyways,

My only issue is that I'm getting too excited and I keep forgetting that its based on luck..

There are some standard docs that all embassies will require (like birth certificate, etc), but there are some embassy specific instructions as well which are at the bottom of the page here. http://travel.state.gov/content/vis...re-selected/prepare-supporting-documents.html

Hi, I have a question regarding the police record requirement.

If the applicant lived in a different country for more than 12 months but not in a row (for example, lived there for 7 months but left on 1 month vacation, then came back and lived there for 6 months), do they still need a police certificate?

Hi, I have a question regarding the police record requirement.

If the applicant lived in a different country for more than 12 months but not in a row (for example, lived there for 7 months but left on 1 month vacation, then came back and lived there for 6 months), do they still need a police certificate?

Yes, a PCC is required in such a situation.