• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV Lottery 2017 - Questions

From memory there's a function on the DV site that let's you test if the photo is acceptable or not - you can just use that in case you're unsure.
Keep in mind that the photo verification tool only checks for technical specs, as far as I'm aware. It does not check for composition, shadows...
If you put a dog's photo with the correct technical specs, it will pass the verification.

So one can successfully complete the application for the Lottery, but be discarded afterwards for photo requirements.

Keep in mind that the photo verification tool only checks for technical specs, as far as I'm aware. It does not check for composition, shadows...
If you put a dog's photo with the correct technical specs, it will pass the verification.

So one can successfully complete the application for the Lottery, but be discarded afterwards for photo requirements.

What are you suggesting would result in someone's application being "discarded"? A shadow probably isn't going to matter - it would only really be an issue if the photo was so bad it looked nothing like the applicant in real life.

What are you suggesting would result in someone's application being "discarded"? A shadow probably isn't going to matter - it would only really be an issue if the photo was so bad it looked nothing like the applicant in real life.
Bad posture, not looking straight at the camera, hair covering parts of the face, head proportions relative to photo dimension, photo being overexposed/underexposed... Check this link: http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/general/photos/photo-page.html, for examples

Last edited:
I am thinking the same . I hope it opens tomorrow. What is Emily n Mom and SusieQQQ thinking, please share some light.

It will open on time. But bear in mind it will open US time, so it might be 2nd October in some time zones before it opens.

Also bear in mind that you have around a month month to enter. There is a rush in the first and last few days of the lottery and the site will slow down .

Entering earlier makes no difference to whether you get selected or not. In my case, we entered on 23 October 2013 (so towards the end of the lottery) and were selected with a good number.

So take your time, make sure your entry is a good one, that your photo is good and that you've put all correct details in.

It will open on time. But bear in mind it will open US time, so it might be 2nd October in some time zones before it opens.

Also bear in mind that you have around a month month to enter. There is a rush in the first and last few days of the lottery and the site will slow down .

Entering earlier makes no difference to whether you get selected or not. In my case, we entered on 23 October 2013 (so towards the end of the lottery) and were selected with a good number.

So take your time, make sure your entry is a good one, that your photo is good and that you've put all correct details in.
Thank you Emily, for your information, I am so glad.

I am thinking the same . I hope it opens tomorrow. What is Emily n Mom and SusieQQQ thinking, please share some light.
Hey, Shekina. If there is one thing that you will learn in your DV journey, then it is that it will be testing your patience :D
It will take 6 months after the registration period closes (or 7 months from tomorrow) until you will learn whether or not you (or your mom) will have been drawn. Depending on your number, it can then take up to another 15 months to have your interview, depending on your case number which will be allocated to you if and when you win, at the time of the draw. It's not called DV 2017 for nothing, LOL ;)

Hey, Shekina. If there is one thing that you will learn in your DV journey, then it is that it will be testing your patience :D
It will take 6 months after the registration period closes (or 7 months from tomorrow) until you will learn whether or not you (or your mom) will have been drawn. Depending on your number, it can then take up to another 15 months to have your interview, depending on your case number which will be allocated to you if and when you win, at the time of the draw. It's not called DV 2017 for nothing, LOL ;)
Hi there, thank you, I'm trying to be patient, actually I think I'm doing well, I understand that it's a long wait, I'm glad that it's not next year, gives us a lot of time to gather funds. I just got a job in the retail so I'm able to save, it's not much but my mum said I could save all my money for the tickets, she said if we got selected she will bare all other expenses. My mum so nice. One day I will make sure she has everything. I am really hoping to get selected, there's no future here, at least I can't see anything, my mum's has seen better times than this, she says in the 80s, fiji was the best, I find that hard to believe, all I have seen is lack n poverty. .

Emphasizing request to entrants to READ the instructions!!! In particular ensure you understand the country chargeability requirements, and who you need to list as dependents. Good luck to all entrants!
Thanks, it's a beautiful day here and I'm enjoying the long read before I start applying, I want to just read everything and will apply on Saturday when my mum has her day off, we'll do it together.