• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV Lottery 2017 - Questions

Do you mean we both can submit an entry?

Yes, if both of you meet the requirements for country and education eligibility. She must list you on her entry as you are under 21, so if she wins you can go with her as a derivative (assuming you are unmarried).

My mum has her 6th form over 300 something marks in 4 or 5 subjects, I asked her to find her forms. She is 42 years old, is that too old to apply?
Form 6 is all she needs. If she can prove that she has funds to sustain you and her in US, allz good :)

Do you mean we both can submit an entry?
Yes both you and your mother can each submit an entry and in the process she can (and should) name you as a derivative. That means if she wins you both get to go, provided you successfully go through the process. On the other hand If you are selected only you are eligible to get a green card and you can start the procedure for your mother after becoming a citizen, for which you have to be a permanent resident for 5 years. Be aware that you both have to fulfill the education requirements (4 years of high school, or qualify through acceptable work experience) if you are going to have a successful application. However the derivative is not subject to this rule which means you can have unsatisfactory education as long as your mother fulfills all the requirements, in case she's the winner.

Yes both you and your mother can each submit an entry and in the process she can (and should) name you as a derivative. That means if she wins you both get to go, provided you successfully go through the process. On the other hand If you are selected only you are eligible to get a green card and you can start the procedure for your mother after becoming a citizen, for which you have to be a permanent resident for 5 years. Be aware that you both have to fulfill the education requirements (4 years of high school, or qualify through acceptable work experience) if you are going to have a successful application. However the derivative is not subject to this rule which means you can have unsatisfactory education as long as your mother fulfills all the requirements, in case she's the winner.
Thank you for your explanation. I'm grateful.

Form 6 is all she needs. If she can prove that she has funds to sustain you and her in US, allz good :)
We will have be careful with the issue of our funds, since my dad past away we have used all his savings, we will never qualify if we have to show how much we have.

Hi,

I was selected on 2015 by my # was too high AF54xxx. I am planning to apply for 2017. Should I use the service of a company to apply? They charge $75 for a family. Or should I do it myself?

Hi,

I was selected on 2015 by my # was too high AF54xxx. I am planning to apply for 2017. Should I use the service of a company to apply? They charge $75 for a family. Or should I do it myself?

Don't throw your money away. Enter the DV lottery yourself. Having someone else or an organization submit the application on your behalf will not achieve anything you cannot achieve on your own - no organization can guarantee a selection to start with, and they cannot influence the case number either.

Hi,

Don't waste your money. The fact that you got selected last time shows you can submit the application no problem ;) and as mom said, no agency can influence selection, number or anything else and in fact judging by posts here these agencies often create problems through mistakes on the forms etc.

Between now and mid-2017, are you able to go back and graduate high school via Adult Equivalency? This would perhaps be a better option than hoping University education would suffice (and probably cheaper option too).

I could but why would I? I always wanted to study in North America an that's what I'm doing right now! And as SusieQQQ said, winning a green card would be great but my plans for the future are not based upon it.

the dv lottery photo is driving me nuts haha I went to a photo place to have my photo taken and I didnt realise until I got home that it was way to close and wouldnt work. I have taken one with my iPhone but wasnt sure if it would be sufficient as I thought it might be too dark as it is not professional lighting and not the same quality as a digital camera?

Attachments

• dvphoto.jpeg
    dvphoto.jpeg
    44.9 KB · Views: 27
the dv lottery photo is driving me nuts haha I went to a photo place to have my photo taken and I didnt realise until I got home that it was way to close and wouldnt work. I have taken one with my iPhone but wasnt sure if it would be sufficient as I thought it might be too dark as it is not professional lighting and not the same quality as a digital camera?

I've just taken them just on a regular camera or my phone against a white wall/brightly lit room every year I entered. No issues. :) From memory there's a function on the DV site that let's you test if the photo is acceptable or not - you can just use that in case you're unsure.

I take my own and use the photo check feature on the website as mentioned by violetion (and choose a light background). I either use my phone or a small camera. :)

Q

Check YOUTUBE videos, that's what I've done and they normally provide a link that allows you to crop photos to meet the DV entry requirements. It annoyed me so much too last year. I understand your frustration:)