• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV Lottery 2017 - Questions

Hi Sorry for bothering everyone again, I have one more query.
1.Are you saying the dv is closing soon?
2.How do we know when?
3. When do you think the dv 2017 entry will open.
Thank you in advance, sorry for my many questions.

Hey Shekina,
you are not bothering, I think we are all here to help each other.
1.To be honest I think nobody really knows, there were some steps done, to stop Green Card Lottery, but its all in process and its all politics,
so I think it all depends. Hope Im right here.
2. I think we all gonna know from media, websites and this forum, I think we still have some ahead though.
3. It should be announced any day now. But the period when you can enter is usually from beginning of October till beginning of November each year.
e.g. For DV2016 it was October 1, 2014 and November 3, 2014. And then you can find out the results beginning of May.

Hey Shekina,
you are not bothering, I think we are all here to help each other.
1.To be honest I think nobody really knows, there were some steps done, to stop Green Card Lottery, but its all in process and its all politics,
so I think it all depends. Hope Im right here.
2. I think we all gonna know from media, websites and this forum, I think we still have some ahead though.
3. It should be announced any day now. But the period when you can enter is usually from beginning of October till beginning of November each year.
e.g. For DV2016 it was October 1, 2014 and November 3, 2014. And then you can find out the results beginning of May.
Thank you for taking your time out and answering my questions, its very kind of you. Once again thank you.

I have been waiting to finish school, I need to get my mum and myself out of here. Do they prefer married couple over single applicants?
Well, if you mean for the lottery, you get randomly picked, so it doesn't matter if you are married or single.

I have been waiting to finish school, I need to get my mum and myself out of here. Do they prefer married couple over single applicants?

No preference on marital status.

You need to be a citizen to sponsor a parent.

Last edited:
There's no way someone can answer that for certain - just guess on past results. Fiji doesn't get elected a certain number of visas, Oceania as a whole does so fiji goes in with the likes of Samoa Tonga nz Australia etc

Well, if you mean for the lottery, you get randomly picked, so it doesn't matter if you are married or single.
Hey you are the Titanic guy funny :):)
Sorry I couldn't not say that anyway I will be looking for my Titanic man once I hit my USA adventures I'd like to on the Route 66

Last edited:
Hey you are the Titanic guy funny :):)
Sorry I couldn't not say that anyway I will be looking for my Titanic man once I hit my USA adventures I'd like to on the Route 66
Well more than Titanic I consider myself to be the wolf lol Wild Parties... Route 66 is on my list as well.

SusieQQQ, what are the chances of getting selected if youre from FIJI? Thank you for answering

Actually the dv lottery Wikipedia page used to have a list of selection probabilities but it's gone now. A pity as it was really good.

I have some good news. Fiji is in Oceania which has the highest probability in the world. Around 5%.

The rest of the world is 1%ish or less.

Actually the dv lottery Wikipedia page used to have a list of selection probabilities but it's gone now. A pity as it was really good.

I have some good news. Fiji is in Oceania which has the highest probability in the world. Around 5%.

One can just go to last year's data and see country selectees as % of total entrants, which will be a rough rule of thumb if no changes in eligibility or sudden upsurge or decrease in a particular country's entries.

"guestgulkan", I appreciate your information, I see a glimmer of hope somewhere in the near future. Thank you.

Last edited:
1. Yes
2. Yet to be confirmed
3. No, if selected your mum cannot benefit from your selection. However, you may be able to sponsor her later on when you get your GC
4. Depends on individual needs and preference
5. Only if you're unable to you'll have enough funds to trying to support yourself.
Why can't I have my mum on my application? Thank you"Sm1smom", I'm sorry if I upset you by asking this question. I will have just enough to pay for the air fare, we don't have good source of income, I will stay at our relatives place for a few weeks. I plan to get any job, waiting tables, cleaning, nannying, anything to just get start earning, get my mum settled and then once we have enough we can get a small place on rent. I can work and study part- time. thank you :)

Last edited:
@ Shekina: that's just the way the DV works, each adult (above age 21) needs to win by themselves. The only exception to this is married couples...so unfortunately, your mom can't tag along on the DV issued visa

Why can't I have my mum on my application? Thank you"Sm1smom", I'm sorry if I upset you by asking this question. I will have just enough to pay for the air fare, we don't have good source of income, I will stay at our relatives place for a few weeks. I plan to get any job, waiting tables, cleaning, nannying, anything to just get start earning, get my mum settled and then once we have enough we can get a small place on rent. I can work and study part- time. thank you :)

The law prohibits adding a parent as a DV derivative, she's not considered an immediate family member as in a spouse or a child. And I'm not upset by your questions. Anyway, you need to get selected first. Then we can discuss the pros and cons of your plans.

Because allowed dependents are only spouses and unmarried children under 21. There are procedures for sponsoring other family members once you are in the US, but for parents and siblings you need to be a citizen first. Suggest you read the instructions fully before you fill in the form as it includes an explanation of who can be included.