• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV Lottery 2017 - Questions

So you were born in UAE, but live in Palestine - correct?

You should have stated UAE as the country you were born (question 5), and then YES for "Are you claiming eligibility based on the country where you were born?" (question 6).

What did you put for question 5?

NO NO NO i was born in UAE and i'm living in UAE too

in question number 5 which is "
5. Country Where You Were Born? i put UAE

in question number 6

Are you claiming eligibility based on the country where you were born? "i chose NO"

and then
If not, you must enter the country from which you are claiming eligibility ? " i chose UAE"

so my answer is correct or not???

NO NO NO i was born in UAE and i'm living in UAE too

in question number 5 which is "
5. Country Where You Were Born? i put UAE

in question number 6

Are you claiming eligibility based on the country where you were born? "i chose NO"

and then
If not, you must enter the country from which you are claiming eligibility ? " i chose UAE"

so my answer is correct or not???

For question 6, you should have simply selected 'Yes'. However, because you selected UAE as your chargeability country after indicating you're not claiming eligibility based on country of birth, your final answer is still correct. You just went about answering the question the long way. You were obviously overthinking the whole process, hence your missing the obvious. Nothing to worry about now though, you will be fine if selected.

For question 6, you should have simply selected 'Yes'. However, because you selected UAE as your chargeability country after indicating you're not claiming eligibility based on country of birth, your final answer is still correct. You just went about answering the question the long way. You were obviously overthinking the whole process, hence your missing the obvious. Nothing to worry about now though, you will be fine if selected.

so in two cases my answer is right ?

so in two cases my answer is right ?

Again, technically speaking, the right response in your case should have been a 'Yes'. However because you still ended up selecting UAE, since that is your country of birth, you're still alright.

@Brad2017 - so as I understand it, your full name (in your passport) is written as:

[Given Name] [Middle Name(s)] [Your Maiden Name] [Husband's Surname]​

If that is correct, I would suggest you put "[Your Maiden Name] [Husband's Surname]" in the SURNAME field of the application.
Thank you mattwatt. I will follow tour advice

Hi , ok let´s see ...i am working now with the photo tool...i choose a photo , upload it and when i think it´s ready i crop it. It seems that it is ok because i don´t get a message or notice telling me that it is wrong...although i don´t think my head fits exactly between the two ovals. What do you think?
Thankssss

Hi , ok let´s see ...i am working now with the photo tool...i choose a photo , upload it and when i think it´s ready i crop it. It seems that it is ok because i don´t get a message or notice telling me that it is wrong...although i don´t think my head fits exactly between the two ovals. What do you think?
Thankssss
If it crops and saves, it's fine.

I see this as a indicator for the costs involved from New Zealand, family of 5 (upon been granted a visa off course). And this is just a rough guide, I will have other expenses as well.

$428 x5= $2140 Medicals
$350 x5 =$1750 Interview / DV
$165 x5 = $825 before you enter usa/or at the immigration
$9,314 Air fare x 5 (Air NZ seems to be the cheapest- to Colorado Springs)
$120 x 5= $600 Police checks (an estimate cost- I haven't really looked into this.)

Total cost before entering USA from NZ (family of 5) =$14, 629
Rent and Food for 30 days- $5000 (Airbnb)
I think a good $20, 000 well spent. This does not include the moving cost of household items (container)

$10, 000x 5 (NZ Currency) Cash in hand
$300,000 USA Currency- Cost of a house in Colorado Springs, CO.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I'm back again to try my luck for DV-2017. I'm just wondering, I've taken my picture over the weekend, my background is a cream colour, is this ok? I note in the instructions it says the background has to be white or off-white. Is cream considered off-white?

cream/ ivory- I think it should fine- if your face fits within the 2 ovals- after cropping- you are fine.

My brother lives with his partner since 2002 where they are not legally married and they have two children.
Children have the same surname as father while the mother has another.
In which form must be processed for DV-2017 application. Is it possible that my brother be the principal applicant with two children and if selected as a winner in the form DS-260 my brother can add the partner.
In this case my brother's partner is the mother of the children, they live together but they are not married legally.

My brother lives with his partner since 2002 where they are not legally married and they have two children.
In which form must be processed for DV-2017 application. Is it possible that my brother be the principal applicant with two children and if selected as a winner in the form DS-260 my brother can add the partner.
In this case my brother's partner is the mother of the children, they live together but they are not married legally.

Your brother would enter as unmarried and add the children, and the spouse will do the same. If either wins, they would marry.

If selected, your brother and his partner will need to legalize their relationship by getting married if the partner is to benefit from your brother's selection as a derivative.

And if your brother's partner is eligible by country of birth (or through her parents' if applicable) and meets the minimum educational requirements, she can submit an application for herself also with only the children listed as her derivatives.