• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV Lottery 2017 - Questions

Hello there . i have an Uncle who has won the Lottery this year when he checked the result . he wanted to include me as a son because when registering last he stated hes having 4 kids . but the problem is that i have been to the American Embassy during 2012 for a Tourist visa and i was refused . they have my details and finger print already . will there be problem if i change my details as a son to my uncle .

But you're not his son, so you can't be added.

An official adoption has to take place at least 2 years before interview and, if I'm not mistaken, before the child is 16 (and if they took fingerprints from you in 2012 you must already be a way over 16) so this isn't an option either.

And if your uncle put 4 kids that he doesn't actually have ( did he use your photo?) he might have some trouble explaining that at the interview too.

Last edited:
I am 30, my 4 siblings are under 21 ,i am thier legal guardian, can i register myself in dv lottery with my siblings included?

A legal guardian is not the legal or biological parents of a child. So - since you describe yourself as the legal guardian you most likely have not adopted the children - so you cannot enter them as your children.

Only if they've been formally/officially adopted by you
Thanks for reply. My actual problem is that my father passed away 4 years ago and my mom wouldn't qualify for dv lottery but i do. I want my siblings to be with me rather than my mom in case i win lottery, is it possible to intruduce myself as thier legal guardian. I can produce the documents.

Thanks for reply. My actual problem is that my father passed away 4 years ago and my mom wouldn't qualify for dv lottery but i do. I want my siblings to be with me rather than my mom in case i win lottery, is it possible to intruduce myself as thier legal guardian. I can produce the documents.

Legal guardian does not count for immigration purposes as derivatives, there needs to be an official adoption procedure in line with the normal rules (adoptees must be below a certain age, I think it's 16, and have been legally adopted 2 years before the interview). This is not just for DV but a general US immigration rules, which cover DV as well.

You cannot sponsor your siblings, no matter what legal guardian paperwork you have. That would ONLY work if you had legally adopted them - 2 years ago.

Hi Dear Moderator,
I have a question. After filling all information (I am married and we have 1 daughter) in my DV lottery entry page 1. I pressed continue button and waited for page 2 to open ( where I fill the information of derivatives). But there was no page 2. Internet suddenly went wrong or Guess I lost internet connection or site was overloaded so automatically turned to the beginning page where I entered letters in the picture. And redone my entry. Would that be considered as two entry for one person or another unfinished one will be diminished.

Thank you for you support and time

It seems the site overload and associated technical problems are happening "early" this year.

Aska, as far as we can tell, if you don't receive a confirmation number then you don't have a successfully submitted entry.

Hi Dear Moderator,
I have a question. After filling all information (I am married and we have 1 daughter) in my DV lottery entry page 1. I pressed continue button and waited for page 2 to open ( where I fill the information of derivatives). But there was no page 2. Internet suddenly went wrong or Guess I lost internet connection or site was overloaded so automatically turned to the beginning page where I entered letters in the picture. And redone my entry. Would that be considered as two entry for one person or another unfinished one will be diminished.

Thank you for you support and time

If you never got to the stage where a submission confirmation number was generated, you can assume your application hasn't been submitted and start the process all over.

Hello everyone,

I had completed the Dv 2017 in time last monday (Thanks God) Last year I missed the lottery cause of the dates... Anyway now I have a question, I am French and lived my whole life there and it's mostly about education. I never passed the Baccalaureate, but got a diploma that states I had completed high school, now I'm doing a Bachelor degree that I hope having in June 2017. Can anyone tell me if I win the lottery in next May I'd qualify for the lottery or no?! It's mostly that part that scares me also the medicals part too, I had a heart surgeary as a baby, now everything is fine with my heart, I'm also afraid to be rejected because of this... Does anyone have experience regarding this please and can enlighten me?

Thanks in advance! :)

Hello everyone,

I had completed the Dv 2017 in time last monday (Thanks God) Last year I missed the lottery cause of the dates... Anyway now I have a question, I am French and lived my whole life there and it's mostly about education. I never passed the Baccalaureate, but got a diploma that states I had completed high school, now I'm doing a Bachelor degree that I hope having in June 2017. Can anyone tell me if I win the lottery in next May I'd qualify for the lottery or no?! It's mostly that part that scares me also the medicals part too, I had a heart surgeary as a baby, now everything is fine with my heart, I'm also afraid to be rejected because of this... Does anyone have experience regarding this please and can enlighten me?

Thanks in advance! :)

It is possible to finish High school in the USA without graduating (i.e. not passing final exams). IN that case a person would not be able to enter college (University) without taking the GED. The standard is someone who met the graduation standard - and GED is specifically excluded.

So - the education standard applied has been about a formal course of elementary and secondary education - not adult education or "make up" courses. However, it is worth noting that they added the words "at least" to the education requirement description in their manual and some people have passed the interview by showing only the bachelors/masters degrees.

So - bottomline, pass your bachelors and you will have a good chance of passing an interview if selected - but there is a small risk that a CO takes a different view. What the CO says is final.

The medical issue is a non issue.

Thanks for the detailled answer! I am just going to pray for getting selected and the bachelor degree is not going to be a problem, I'm working hard to pass it. :)
Well, actually I made research for my medical issue, apparently it should be OK as long as it's not infectious which is not the case.

From the start, let me say that I am a native-born US citizen who is also a dual national with Brazil (my father is US/Brazilian, my mother native-born American). I applaud all of you for your desire to emigrate to the USA and I wish you all success. Here is my question: Last week I helped a Saudi student of mine with her application to the DV Lottery. We successfully submitted her application and now she is now anxiously waiting for the results to be announced next May. Is there any way of knowing how many other Saudis applied, and how many were accepted, in past years?

From the start, let me say that I am a native-born US citizen who is also a dual national with Brazil (my father is US/Brazilian, my mother native-born American). I applaud all of you for your desire to emigrate to the USA and I wish you all success. Here is my question: Last week I helped a Saudi student of mine with her application to the DV Lottery. We successfully submitted her application and now she is now anxiously waiting for the results to be announced next May. Is there any way of knowing how many other Saudis applied, and how many were accepted, in past years?

You can find the data in the links on this page : http://travel.state.gov/content/vis...y-visa/diversity-visa-program-statistics.html

Also I'm not sure if you just used a different term or if you understand something different by it, but "accepted" to my mind implies someone scans and approves and chooses from the applications - whereas selection in DV via a random draw.

I took my photos using my phone.

I was selected and given a visa so a smartphone photo is fine as long as it meets all the technical specifications.

Hi guestgulkan, just wandering, where are you thinking of settling down? Have you made your move yet? I am waiting for the 2017 selection.

Hi guestgulkan, just wandering, where are you thinking of settling down? Have you made your move yet? I am waiting for the 2017 selection.

I always thought you were a 16-er :)

I'm still in Australia. I used to live in Denver Colorado so I'll probably just settle there again for the connections, however, my current work has offices in Boston, Reno and Seattle so there's a slim possibility I could end up at one of them.

One problem with getting your visa in September is the 6 month visa validity is all in winter, which sucks.

Anyway here's my big adventure trip in February: Hawaii, San Francisco, Denver then road trip to LA via Salt Lake and Vegas.

I always thought you were a 16-er :)

I'm still in Australia. I used to live in Denver Colorado so I'll probably just settle there again for the connections, however, my current work has offices in Boston, Reno and Seattle so there's a slim possibility I could end up at one of them.

One problem with getting your visa in September is the 6 month visa validity is all in winter, which sucks.

Anyway here's my big adventure trip in February: Hawaii, San Francisco, Denver then road trip to LA via Salt Lake and Vegas.

Sounds like a good plan... Vegas is where things get a bit heated up... I am keen on colorado springs... perfect weather during summer, have been browsing all states for a suitable place to live incase we do get selected.

Cheers Maisy