• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2025 AOS (Adjustment of Status) Process Only

Your SSN is issued for life. You can use it at anytime to undertake any authorized employment you're eligible for.
Yes, I understand, but now I have a student visa. Do you think I could have any problems for having used my SSNN?

Yes, I understand, but now I have a student visa. Do you think I could have any problems for having used my SSNN?
I already answered that. IF you're eligible to undertake authorized employment based on your current status, you can use the SSN with no negative consequence. I cannot help you determine if you can use the SSN to undertake employment or not simply on the basis of already having a SSN from a previous status. I recommend you contact your school's DSO to figure this out.

Hello mom.

I have a sponsor willing to help me with the I-134, i wanted to ask what is ‘PGL’ and where can i see the income requirements for a LPR to be eligible to sponsor someone.

Hello mom.

I have a sponsor willing to help me with the I-134, i wanted to ask what is ‘PGL’ and where can i see the income requirements for a LPR to be eligible to sponsor someone.
The income depends on the size of the sponsor’s household, and may differ if they do not live in the lower 48 states. The number of people being sponsored via the i134 gets added to the sponsor’s actual household size, which is why the minimum size below is 2. The last column is the relevant one . The link has for Alaska and Hawaii too in case that’s where the sponsor lives

Sponsor's Household Size100% of HHS Poverty Guidelines*125% of HHS Poverty Guidelines*
For sponsors on active duty in the U.S. armed forces who are petitioning for their spouse or childFor all other sponsors
2$20,440 $25,550
3$25,820$32,275
4$31,200$39,000
5$36,580$45,725
6$41,960$52,450
7$47,340$59,175
8$52,720 $65,900
Add $5,380 for each additional personAdd $6,725 for each

Hello mom.

PGL = Poverty Guidelines = Applicable income guidelines per household number

Regarding I-134,
I am thinking different scenarios if you can help with picking the best one:
1. Can the sponsor be (approved for green card) but not green card holder yet he is legally working in US and can provide all supporting documents.
2. If the form is not mandatory, what happens if I submit the AOS package without i-134? Will i get RFE to submit one or is there a possibility of denying the case?
3. My spouse is on F1 status now and has an investment in USA, can he provide the I-134 for both of us with business documents and bank statements or he is not eligible as long as he is not LPR or US Citizen as well?

hi, the amount of useful information here is insane, great job @Sm1smom. I have a question, my case number is below EUR 7K, and I am on an F1 status. What I am confused about is the form I-131, I am not planning to leave the US until my case is resolved, however, I need to file it anyway if I want to travel out and into the US, right (let's say after the gc is approved)? When I checked the form, there was no box I could select that was specific to my case (re-entry permit for dv applicants). Any advise on that? Thanks

Regarding I-134,
1. Can the sponsor be (approved for green card) but not green card holder yet he is legally working in US and can provide all supporting documents.
2. If the form is not mandatory, what happens if I submit the AOS package without i-134? Will i get RFE to submit one or is there a possibility of denying the case?
3. My spouse is on F1 status now and has an investment in USA, can he provide the I-134 for both of us with business documents and bank statements or he is not eligible as long as he is not LPR or US Citizen as well?
1. In what situation would that be? The short period of a few days between being approved and receiving the plastic card?
2. Defer to mom but really could be anything if they think you haven’t proved you won’t be public charge
3. They look at you as a household. It makes no sense for one spouse to do a i134 for the other. Just show proof of household income

Regarding I-134,
1. This makes no sense. I don’t understand the scenario you’re trying to paint here.
2. Anything can happen. That is why being adequately prepared is recommended.
3. If using an I-134, it is recommended for it to be provided by a LPR or a USC.

hi, the amount of useful information here is insane, great job @Sm1smom. I have a question, my case number is below EUR 7K, and I am on an F1 status. What I am confused about is the form I-131, I am not planning to leave the US until my case is resolved, however, I need to file it anyway if I want to travel out and into the US, right (let's say after the gc is approved)? When I checked the form, there was no box I could select that was specific to my case (re-entry permit for dv applicants). Any advise on that? Thanks
The I-131 can be filed to request an AP (Advanced Parole) based on a pending I-485 - this is to ensure your AOS application is not deemed as abandoned should you depart from the US while the application is still pending. Or as a re-entry permit based on being a LPR - this is to ensure one is not deemed to have abandoned their LPR status following a prolonged absence from the US. You cannot file an I-131 for a re-entry permit on the basis of a pending I-485.

1. This makes no sense. I don’t understand the scenario you’re trying to paint here.
2. Anything can happen. That is why being adequately prepared is recommended.
3. If using an I-134, it is recommended for it to be provided by a LPR or a USC.
Thanks for clarifying for the other questions.

1. I understand that It might not be a common condition. The person received i-130 approval notice through marriage but had asylum application that was denied before that and was referred to immigration court with a date that is being postponed till now. So from what I understand, the judge must first dismiss the asylum case so that the USCIS can proceed with issuing the green card.

Getting back to my concern, Is it possible that this person fills I-134 or should I look for someone else who is US citizen or Green card holder?

Thanks for clarifying for the other questions.

1. I understand that It might not be a common condition. The person received i-130 approval notice through marriage but had asylum application that was denied before that and was referred to immigration court with a date that is being postponed till now. So from what I understand, the judge must first dismiss the asylum case so that the USCIS can proceed with issuing the green card.

Getting back to my concern, Is it possible that this person fills I-134 or should I look for someone else who is US citizen or Green card holder?
The person is not yet approved for a GC in that case. All they have is an approved I-130, which is basically a document that recognizes their relationship with their sponsor, and authorizes their sponsor (their spouse to petition them). That person still needs to file a marriage based I-485, and if they already filed, it has to be approved. So until the I-485 actually gets approved, that person is not a LPR, they have not been approved for GC - they have been approved/authorized to file for a GC.

If you can, I would recommend looking for a LPR or a USC to provide you with the I-134.

The person is not yet approved for a GC in that case. All they have is an approved I-130, which is basically a document that recognizes their relationship with their sponsor, and authorizes their sponsor (their spouse to petition them). That person still needs to file a marriage based I-485, and if they already filed, it has to be approved. So until the I-485 actually gets approved, that person is not a LPR, they have not been approved for GC - they have been approved/authorized to file for a GC.

If you can, I would recommend looking for a LPR or a USC to provide you with the I-134.
Thanks for taking the time to explain that point. I will definitely be looking for a USC / LPR then to avoid any confusion. Thank you

Hello, brothers and sisters of AOS Journey,

Now that my status is TPS approved, it looks like I might be eligible for Medicaid.

1, Would being part of Medicaid affect my AOS in any way? Could the immigration officer view me as a public charge because of it?

2, If the answer to the first question is no, then I could use Medicaid approval to request a fee waiver for the I-485 application by filing Form I-912. Would this pose any risk to my AOS?

PS. I will be using I-134 sponsor

Thank you.

Attachments

• mediaid .png
    mediaid .png
    98.5 KB · Views: 10
Hello, brothers and sisters of AOS Journey,

Now that my status is TPS approved, it looks like I might be eligible for Medicaid.

1, Would being part of Medicaid affect my AOS in any way? Could the immigration officer view me as a public charge because of it?

2, If the answer to the first question is no, then I could use Medicaid approval to request a fee waiver for the I-485 application by filing Form I-912. Would this pose any risk to my AOS?

PS. I will be using I-134 sponsor

Thank you.
1. Medicaid (other than for long-term use of institutional services under section 1905(a) of the Social Security Act) is not considered by USCIS in making a public charge inadmissibility determination.
2. No, you are not eligible to request a fee waiver on the basis of your TPS status’ eligibility to receive Medicaid on the following basis:
a). General Fee Waiver category: Form I-485 is not eligible for this.
b). Conditional Fee Waiver category: Form I-485 is eligible with a caveat - it is for an applicant who is exempt from the public charge grounds of inadmissibility. DV based AOS applicants are not exempt from the public charge grounds of inadmissibility.
c). Humanitarian Fee Waiver Category: This is for applicants seeking humanitarian relief/protection in certain categories (of which yes, TPS is one of those). This category is not for folks already in those categories who are subsequently applying for other immigration benefits.

Hi, a few questions came up as we are getting ready to assemble the package.

1. A high school certificate we will submit uses the nepalese calendar (Bikram Sambat/BS). The document actually uses both gregorian and BS calendars inconsistently, some dates have the gegorian date in brackets, others dont. Everything else is in english. Whats the appropriate way to handle this? We were thinking of attaching a printout of a calendar converter and a brief explaination but we wanted a second opinion on that. The graduation year is in both gregorian and BS.

2. Is there a need for printing in color when assembling the package, or is black and white sufficient?

3. We will ship with either FedEx or UPS - both offer different delivery times, FedEx allows to choose between delivered by 10:30AM or 5:00PM, while UPS offers by 8:00AM, 10:30AM, or "end of day" - is there any option to avoid here, as the lockbox will be closed, or does it not really matter?

continued...

4. Both of us partially filled the DS260 but we will likely not submit it. We already have a 2NL. Any disadvantages to this situation? I understand that it is reccomended to submit, why?

Hi, a few questions came up as we are getting ready to assemble the package.

1. A high school certificate we will submit uses the nepalese calendar (Bikram Sambat/BS). The document actually uses both gregorian and BS calendars inconsistently, some dates have the gegorian date in brackets, others dont. Everything else is in english. Whats the appropriate way to handle this? We were thinking of attaching a printout of a calendar converter and a brief explaination but we wanted a second opinion on that. The graduation year is in both gregorian and BS.

2. Is there a need for printing in color when assembling the package, or is black and white sufficient?

3. We will ship with either FedEx or UPS - both offer different delivery times, FedEx allows to choose between delivered by 10:30AM or 5:00PM, while UPS offers by 8:00AM, 10:30AM, or "end of day" - is there any option to avoid here, as the lockbox will be closed, or does it not really matter?
1. The inconsistent dates is not a big deal. What matters is to ensure you have a full English certified translation if any part of the Diploma is written in non English.
2. The important thing is to ensure the photocopy is clear and legible.
3. Irrelevant.

continued...

4. Both of us partially filled the DS260 but we will likely not submit it. We already have a 2NL. Any disadvantages to this situation? I understand that it is reccomended to submit, why?
The “why” was already provided in response to your first question back in May. Anyways, I recommend you take a look at the FAQ section of the AOS process spreadsheet to see where the “why” is further covered.

The “why” was already provided in response to your first question back in May. Anyways, I recommend you take a look at the FAQ section of the AOS process spreadsheet to see where the “why” is further covered.
Thank you for all the answers.

Regarding the DS260, I understand it helps with planning - we already have a 2NL so thats where I am coming from, as they already know we will process with AOS. Also, what about the impact of having a partially filled, non submitted form?