• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2024 AOS (Adjustment of Status) Process Only

AOS is intended for people already residing in the US before the decision to file for AOS was made. Entering the US on a non-dual intent NIV with a preconceived intent of filing for AOS is considered a fraudulent attempt at obtaining an immigration benefit, which is frowned upon. However, if you declare this preconceived intent of filing AOS at the POE and you are subsequently admitted into the US following that declaration, filing for AOS after that will most likely not be considered a fraudulent attempt at obtaining an immigration benefit.

CAVEAT:
The IO, at the time of the AOS can still ask why you decided to enter the US and process AOS even if this intent was disclosed at the POE. You will need to be prepared for this.

DISCLOSURE:
We’ve had previous cases of DV selectees who entered the US on a visitor’s who subsequently successfully processed their selection via AOS without declaring their preconceived AOS intent at the POE.

NOTE:
Should you decide to proceed with entering the US to file for AOS, do make sure you understand the AOS process before doing so. I highly recommend you go through the AOS process spreadsheet to ensure you understand the steps involved.
thank you very much for the quick response!
I contacted immigration lawyers in my country and they recommended this method. I just wanted to ask you about the risks regarding the timing of AOS approval for DV. if I enter the USA on March 25, get married and 60-70 days later submit form i485, I hope that by June-July my number will be current, can this work before the end of the fiscal year?

thank you very much for the quick response!
I contacted immigration lawyers in my country and they recommended this method. I just wanted to ask you about the risks regarding the timing of AOS approval for DV. if I enter the USA on March 25, get married and 60-70 days later submit form i485, I hope that by June-July my number will be current, can this work before the end of the fiscal year?
1. Immigration lawyers in your country have limited understanding of US immigration laws.
2. I cannot answer your questions because that will amount to me encouraging you to bypass the immigration process in place for someone currently based outside the US who is seeking a US immigration benefit. Like I already responded, "AOS is intended for people already residing in the US before the decision to file for AOS was made. Entering the US on a non-dual intent NIV with a preconceived intent of filing for AOS is considered a fraudulent attempt at obtaining an immigration benefit, which is frowned upon". You are pre-emptively planning on entering the US with a pre-conceived intent of filing for AOS, I cannot provide you any guidance on how to go about this, or even tell you if you will have enough time or not to complete the immigration process.

I'm open to answering questions from folks who are already in the US and require guidance on how to complete the AOS process. Meanwhile, I recommend you go over the "AOS FAQ" tab/sheet of the AOS Process Spreadsheet (as a starting point) to learn more about the risks associated your proposed plan.

1. I guess I will just keep the envelope as is. Thank you for your opinion though.
2. it has been processed 1 week after I sent the check. Thank you for directing me to the timeline spreadsheet. It seems it has been about two weeks since my check is cashed which seem to be reasonable considering the "Payment Receipt Date-Payment Cashed Date(Days)". There are a few that arrived within a week though so I hope mine doesn't take too long.

Honestly, it slipped my mind, sorry for that. I've only seen the doctor for a very short period of time when I get my physical exam and all the paperwork was done by his assistant and last time I talked to the assistant about it, he told me that they didn't get any kind of update regarding a requirement for such booster in medical exams. But, I had a booster anyway and I made sure it is added to the vaccine table so I think I'm safe for now.
Hello everyone! Just to contribute to this Covid 19 discussion.

Both my CS and another one I called to confirm told me that no boost is required and if I have at least 2 doses (in my case Moderna vaccine) I am good. I am thinking of doing the booster in any case though as legacy1 did.

Regarding the DV fee receipt, in my case it got paid in 20 of February and got the receipt back 13 of March (so almost a month).

Hello everyone! Just to contribute to this Covid 19 discussion.

Both my CS and another one I called to confirm told me that no boost is required and if I have at least 2 doses (in my case Moderna vaccine) I am good. I am thinking of doing the booster in any case though as legacy1 did.

Regarding the DV fee receipt, in my case it got paid in 20 of February and got the receipt back 13 of March (so almost a month).
If you could add your case updates to the Timeline spreadsheet, that would be great.

Hi Mom,
I have two questions regarding my DV fee receipt and 2NL.
1- Does the DV fee receipt just include the paper information we have sent to them with a "paid" stamp?
2- Is this 2NL?

1710523040828.png

Hi mom,
I have a question regarding question 62, indicate your annual income? As an international student fully sponsored and supported by my family. I answered 0-27,000. In the last page of the form! I explained that I don’t have an income and I am sponsored and supported by my family. I also explained that a huge percentages of my expenses in the us are covered by our rental properties (Family owned) in my home country! I also provided a breakdown to my life expenses in the US, such as School tuition, food, rent, etc. Do you think that providing an explanation to my answer for question 62 in the last page is a good idea. I am just trying to be as transparent as possible!

Hi mom,
I have a question regarding question 62, indicate your annual income? As an international student fully sponsored and supported by my family. I answered 0-27,000. In the last page of the form! I explained that I don’t have an income and I am sponsored and supported by my family. I also explained that a huge percentages of my expenses in the us are covered by our rental properties (Family owned) in my home country! I also provided a breakdown to my life expenses in the US, such as School tuition, food, rent, etc. Do you think that providing an explanation to my answer for question 62 in the last page is a good idea. I am just trying to be as transparent as possible!
Personally, I wouldn't go as far as you've gone, because in my attempt at being transparent as much as possible, I wouldn't want the unsolicited information I'm providing upfront in an attempt at "helping my case" to subsequently be used against me.

Personally, I wouldn't go as far as you've gone, because in my attempt at being transparent as much as possible, I wouldn't want the unsolicited information I'm providing upfront in an attempt at "helping my case" to subsequently be used against me.
Thanks mom! So, there is no need to provide an explanation to my answer to question 62 correct?

hi everyone
I am filling my child form I485 , How should I answer Section 8 , and the section of “public charge” annual household, houshold assets
Thank you

hi everyone
I am filling my child form I485 , How should I answer Section 8 , and the section of “public charge” annual household, houshold assets
Thank you
You were provided a response to this issue on Tuesday. You fill out those sections same as yours.
Alternatively, you can put down zero for household assets, it makes no difference. Your child is applying with you, your income/assets will be used in assessing the child’s application.

Last edited:
How long does response after biometrics usually take? I reviewed the spreadsheet but is there an estimate average over the years?

Thank you

The next step. my current status is “case was updated to show fingerprints were taken”

So I expect that I am close to the finish line.
The next step is already listed on both the AOS Process spreadsheet and the Timeline spreadsheet, which is either the interview letter or a waived interview. How long that step takes is available on the Timeline spreadsheet. Take a look at both the present and some of the past timeline spreadsheets to get an idea of the average processing time for your specific FO.