• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2024 AOS (Adjustment of Status) Process Only

I don't think you can check that there. The same way you cannot check processing times for I-485 in DV category. I'd haphazard a guess that USCIS is aware of 9 FAM 502.6-4 (b)(3)(a), the same way they are aware of the looming deadline on AOS itself.
We had an example not that long ago: https://forums.immigration.com/threads/dv-2022-aos-adjustment-of-status-only.344334/post-2591363
I'm not saying that 2 weeks is a reasonable timeline, but I'd definitely not discard that possibility based on published statistics.
9FAM is a DOS manual, not USCIS. The cases mom has referenced in the past with tight deadlines didn’t do I824 and liaised directly with FO and consulate to get the cases done and eschewed the i824 entirely, as she has advised this poster to do. Remember it’s not just processing the I824 - it’s acting on it to get the file to the embassy and schedule an interview. The case you referenced had the FTJ beneficiary call the embassy in advance to give them a heads up, and the applicant called their senator the same day they filed the i824 + tier 2 for FO, and they got an appointment- at Tokyo embassy which is probably a lot less busy than Nairobi - 5 weeks later. And that was considered quick. It won’t be nearly quick enough here. It’s also not at all clear from that post that filing the i824 was even necessary given all the direct liaison with the FO, embassy and senator.
but as I said, if the poster wants to spend the time and $590 doing it that’s her prerogative.

Last edited:
You’re currently out of status though. So visas running out (or not running out) is not the major issue you need to be concerned with at this point IMO. How not currently having a valid status could impact your AOS filing is what you need to be concerned with.
Hi mom could you explain what you mean by that? When I arrived the US filled for asylum before my visa expired and they sent me a notice saying that my form i-589 was received and I can stay in the US till I'm called for interview. Could you tell me how it could impact my AOS and what to do since interview on the 25th of September?

Hi mom could you explain what you mean by that? When I arrived the US filled for asylum before my visa expired and they sent me a notice saying that my form i-589 was received and I can stay in the US till I'm called for interview. Could you tell me how it could impact my AOS and what to do since interview on the 25th of September?
the issue is Asylum Pending is Authorized stay but not Valid immigration status as such you were out of status all these time .however , there are also cases where immigration officers approved DV based AOS for cases like yours ... Good Luck keep your figures crossed

There is a difference in immigration law between authorized stay/not accruing unlawful presence (such as when your prior status has expired and you are awaiting a decision on another application), and actually having a lawful status. Technically, you have to be in lawful status to adjust status.
now, we have seen one or two people get DV AOS approved during asylum pending, but we have also seen refusals. I think someone already directed you to the special situations spreadsheet mom has compiled, you can look at that one for an idea.

here is from the USCIS manual distinguishing between the two - note the last line of this extract, which refers to the bar to adjustment.

D. Difference between Lawful Immigration Status and Period of Authorized Stay​

Lawful immigration status is distinct from being in a period of authorized stay. Periods of authorized stay are only relevant when determining a noncitizen’s accrual of unlawful presence for inadmissibility purposes.[17] Although a noncitizen in a lawful immigration status is also in a period of authorized stay, the opposite is not necessarily true. Those in a period of authorized stay may or may not be in a lawful immigration status.

Officers consider the difference between lawful immigration status and a period of authorized stay when determining whether an applicant is in lawful immigration status for purposes of the INA 245(c)(2) adjustment bar.

the issue is Asylum Pending is Authorized stay but not Valid immigration status as such you were out of status all these time .however , there are also cases where immigration officers approved DV based AOS for cases like yours ... Good Luck keep your figures crossed
Thanks for heads up is there any advice on how to approach this before the 25th please?

Good afternoon! I checked my USCIS online account this morning and saw the update. I’m incredibly grateful to everyone who helped me—Mom, and everyone else who answered my questions. I also want to give a big thank you to the girl who referred me to this platform. I handled my application myself without a lawyer, and I couldn’t have done it without all of you. I hope everyone waiting for their green card receives it this week! @lara324830, especially you—please let me know if you have any updates since we’re at the same field office. If you haven't already, I recommend sending an e-request to expedite your appointment through USCIS. I sent mine five days ago and haven’t received a response yet, but I believe it may have helped get the officer’s attention. Thanks again to everyone! I’m here if you have any questions.l.PNG

Good afternoon! I checked my USCIS online account this morning and saw the update. I’m incredibly grateful to everyone who helped me—Mom, and everyone else who answered my questions. I also want to give a big thank you to the girl who referred me to this platform. I handled my application myself without a lawyer, and I couldn’t have done it without all of you. I hope everyone waiting for their green card receives it this week! @lara324830, especially you—please let me know if you have any updates since we’re at the same field office. If you haven't already, I recommend sending an e-request to expedite your appointment through USCIS. I sent mine five days ago and haven’t received a response yet, but I believe it may have helped get the officer’s attention. Thanks again to everyone! I’m here if you have any questions.View attachment 5149
Great update. Congratulations!

Good afternoon! I checked my USCIS online account this morning and saw the update. I’m incredibly grateful to everyone who helped me—Mom, and everyone else who answered my questions. I also want to give a big thank you to the girl who referred me to this platform. I handled my application myself without a lawyer, and I couldn’t have done it without all of you. I hope everyone waiting for their green card receives it this week! @lara324830, especially you—please let me know if you have any updates since we’re at the same field office. If you haven't already, I recommend sending an e-request to expedite your appointment through USCIS. I sent mine five days ago and haven’t received a response yet, but I believe it may have helped get the officer’s attention. Thanks again to everyone! I’m here if you have any questions.View attachment 5149
Screenshot_20240916-115109.png
Many congratulations!! Should I select case outside normal processing time? From the options above? For the e-request?

ll.PNGlll.PNG

Go to Resources=>Schedule an appointment=>Request an appointment=>Emergency Advance Parole=> Choose any date, IMPORTANT: Explain the reason well, therefore USCIS will call your number and ask for your 1NL and one more document(I forgot). Tell them you have it and they will send your local field office an expedite request for you.

Originally, it is for someone who is traveling abroad, however there were no choice for lottery and told me to call the customer service number. When I call them actually, it was so hard to explain my situation, therefore I thought I'll give it a shot. I hope it will help you as well! @De3witt

Originally, it is for someone who is traveling abroad, however there were no choice for lottery and told me to call the customer service number. When I call them actually, it was so hard to explain my situation, therefore I thought I'll give it a shot. I hope it will help you as well! @De3witt
Thank you for the detailed explanation! I really appreciate it.

View attachment 5151View attachment 5152

Go to Resources=>Schedule an appointment=>Request an appointment=>Emergency Advance Parole=> Choose any date, IMPORTANT: Explain the reason well, therefore USCIS will call your number and ask for your 1NL and one more document(I forgot). Tell them you have it and they will send your local field office an expedite request for you.
Hi @Joy_76, congratulations! I want to submit the same request as you explained. Would you mind sharing what kind of explanation you gave? Did you just mention that you are DV24 and need the cases adjudicated by sep 30, etc.? I am just wondering what would be a convincing explanation that they will consider it emergency. Thanks!

hi mom and everyone,

I just received a response from USCIS regarding my case and it says my application is currently in transit to and under the jurisdiction of Santa Ana field office. Does it mean my case is at the field office or is it still transmitting via paper mail or any other means which could mean the field can take more time to get to the field office physically? As always, thank you everyone for being so kind and being very helpful !

@Kerven I wrote just like this "

I am requesting expedited processing of my Form I-485 (Receipt Number#) for the Diversity Visa Lottery 2024. My biometrics were completed on (Month Date), 2024, and I am concerned that my application may not be processed before the fiscal year ends on September 30, 2024.
According to USCIS policy (attach the website URL), DV adjustment applications cannot be approved after September 30 of the relevant fiscal year. Therefore, timely processing is crucial to meet this deadline. I have submitted all required documentation and completed all necessary steps. Thank you

"
I hope this helps!

I am requesting expedited processing of my Form I-485 (Receipt Number#) for the Diversity Visa Lottery 2024. My biometrics were completed on (Month Date), 2024, and I am concerned that my application may not be processed before the fiscal year ends on September 30, 2024.
According to USCIS policy (attach the website URL), DV adjustment applications cannot be approved after September 30 of the relevant fiscal year. Therefore, timely processing is crucial to meet this deadline. I have submitted all required documentation and completed all necessary steps. Thank you

"
I hope this helps!
This is very helpful. Thank you so much! I hope we'll get the good news soon too.

"
I hope this helps!
Hi, how did you exceed the 500-character limit in the explanation?

hi mom and everyone,

I just received a response from USCIS regarding my case and it says my application is currently in transit to and under the jurisdiction of Santa Ana field office. Does it mean my case is at the field office or is it still transmitting via paper mail or any other means which could mean the field can take more time to get to the field office physically? As always, thank you everyone for being so kind and being very helpful !
Honestly speaking, I don't bother to undertake an analysis of this type of response, because I know the NBC typically sends over the case file as soon as the bio gets scheduled (or waived as the case may be), and because I know USCIS frontline agents tend to provide inaccurate response (now and then) about cases being at the NBC when they're already at the FO.