• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2024 AOS (Adjustment of Status) Process Only

Hi Mom, my number for 2024 DV lottery was very high but I didn't lost hope. the cutoff number for September is now 50000. I'm an E2 visa holder. I am familiar with your spreadsheet file. The timeline for AOS is worrying me. On your spreadsheet you say that the DV administrative fee payment receipt may take 4-10 week. Do you suggest to early file and sent the package ASAP without the payment receipt or to wait September 1st (when my DV number will became current) and hope I will have the receipt by then? Thanks for your help to the community!
Both options, filing with or without the DV administrative fee payment receipt, has its pros and cons. You’ll need to weigh both carefully and make your own decision based on which you’re most comfortable with. You need to bear in mind though, that your AOS application must be adjudicated by Sept. 30th which is the last day of your DV FY.

Is it correct that the interview will only be scheduled in or after the month the case will be current in ? Assummption- all the previous steps up to bio metric taken are completed.

Is it correct that the interview will only be scheduled in or after the month the case will be current in ? Assummption- all the previous steps up to bio metric taken are completed.
Interview could be scheduled before the CN current month, but approval will be the current month or after.

You were probably wrongly denied for early filing. Which FO is this? Can you post the denial letter (redact sections with personal details)?
Hi Mom and SusieQQQ,

Thank you for the response! That's what I’m thinking as well. My case should still fall within the 50-60 day window for early filing. My Field Office is Salt Lake City. I've attached the denial letter.

I’m debating whether to file Form I-290B ($800) or submit a new I-485 application ($1,440 + medical exam), given that I’m unsure how long it might take for Form I-290B to be processed. Do you have any suggestions?

Here are my additional questions for each situation:
1. In Form I-290B Part 2, which box should I check? (1.d. A motion to reopen; 1.e. A motion to reconsider; 1.f. A motion to reopen and a motion to reconsider)
2. I assume my case is 'Decision made by a USCIS domestic or international field office on Form I-485,' so the USCIS Chicago Lockbox is where I should send Form I-290B. Is that correct?
3. Do I need to pay the application fee of $1,440 again if my case is reopened or reconsidered?
4. If I choose to submit a new I-485, should I include the denial letter and a brief explanation?
5. If I choose to submit a new I-485, will I need to undergo another medical exam and pay the $1,440 application fee again?

Thank you again for your generous help!
YY

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-08-12 at 10.08.43 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-08-12 at 10.08.43 AM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 57
  • Screenshot 2024-08-12 at 10.08.47 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-08-12 at 10.08.47 AM.png
    507.1 KB · Views: 55
  • Screenshot 2024-08-12 at 10.08.22 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-08-12 at 10.08.22 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 55
Hi rondon,

Thank you for the swift response! You are correct; I was referring to the AS number. I might be wrong, but I still remember being surprised by how quickly the number jumped, so I double-checked the number and month. It's pretty strange. Maybe I somehow foresaw the future since the September AS number is 27,500. Lol.
Yeah, as @SusieQQQ and @Sm1smom pointed out, it seems your case was wrongly denied for early filing. Yikes. Best of luck ahead!

Hi Mom,

I received my bio notice for Aug 23rd. Based on my timeline, would you recommend attempting a walk-in for the bio?

Hello! My case 24xxx is still be, at NBC from July. Last notice date from July 07/23/2024. Whenever I call to uscis the answer is the same,'
" We are looking at your form I-485". In the spreadsheet my name is lena86. . I already sent the letter-inquiry to the Congressman and the Senator. Please, suggest to me what have I have to do. I think for some reason my case is being held there and eventually I won't even have a chance to get an interview before the end of the fiscal year. Thank you

Hello. İn the i-485 in public charge part there are questions about household size, income and assests. Are these questions about me or include also my US sponsor? İf it is only about me, I do not have any income in the US, but because I am on F1 visa I have a sponsor from my own country. so should I select 0$ option or select the amount shown on my f1 visa sponsor?

Hi Mom,

I received my bio notice for Aug 23rd. Based on my timeline, would you recommend attempting a walk-in for the bio?
What I did is, I signed in to my USCIS account and rescheduled the bio appointment to the nearest available date. I sent reschedule request on Saturday afternoon and it was approved after 20 minutes for today. You can try the same.

Hi Mom and SusieQQQ,

Thank you for the response! That's what I’m thinking as well. My case should still fall within the 50-60 day window for early filing. My Field Office is Salt Lake City. I've attached the denial letter.

I’m debating whether to file Form I-290B ($800) or submit a new I-485 application ($1,440 + medical exam), given that I’m unsure how long it might take for Form I-290B to be processed. Do you have any suggestions?

Here are my additional questions for each situation:
1. In Form I-290B Part 2, which box should I check? (1.d. A motion to reopen; 1.e. A motion to reconsider; 1.f. A motion to reopen and a motion to reconsider)
2. I assume my case is 'Decision made by a USCIS domestic or international field office on Form I-485,' so the USCIS Chicago Lockbox is where I should send Form I-290B. Is that correct?
3. Do I need to pay the application fee of $1,440 again if my case is reopened or reconsidered?
4. If I choose to submit a new I-485, should I include the denial letter and a brief explanation?
5. If I choose to submit a new I-485, will I need to undergo another medical exam and pay the $1,440 application fee again?

Thank you again for your generous help!
YY
Yeah, as @SusieQQQ and @Sm1smom pointed out, it seems your case was wrongly denied for early filing. Yikes. Best of luck ahead!

Quick update on my case. I was fortunate to speak with a field officer when I went in for my biometric collection (appointment notice dated 07/26/2024; FO denial notice dated 08/06/2024). Although the officer I spoke with doesn't handle DV AOS cases, he was very helpful and took my documents (KCC letter, denial letter, Early Filing Policy Memo PM-602-0088, and the August Visa Bulletin with the September rank cut-off of 27,500) inside to consult with someone more familiar with the situation.

Another officer inside the office insisted that since my DV rank number falls below the September rank cut-off of 27,500, I can only file the I-485 after September 1. I explained the Early Filing Memo again to the field officer, who kindly spoke with me, but he returned with the same answer: 'No.' I have no idea what else I can do.

Given the feedback from the officer, it seems the best solution is to file the I-485 again on September 1. Do you think there’s any chance I should try filing before then? Lol.

Regarding the medical exam, the officer said I can use a copy of the original exam (since I had sent the original version with my initial filing). I’m not sure if I need to go through biometric collection again, though.

Last edited:
What I did is, I signed in to my USCIS account and rescheduled the bio appointment to the nearest available date. I sent reschedule request on Saturday afternoon and it was approved after 20 minutes for today. You can try the same.
Hi, Mdngg6. After rescheduling the BIO appointment, did you get an updated BIO notice with the rescheduled date and time via mail, email, or another method? Which allows you to attend your bio appointment with the scheduled appointment?

Hi, Mdngg6. After rescheduling the BIO appointment, did you get an updated BIO notice with the rescheduled date and time via mail, email, or another method? Which allows you to attend your bio appointment with the scheduled appointment?
After approval, you will be able to download the same bio notice with updated date and time on your USCIS account.

Quick update on my case. I was fortunate to speak with a field officer when I went in for my biometric collection (appointment notice dated 07/26/2024; FO denial notice dated 08/06/2024). Although the officer I spoke with doesn't handle DV AOS cases, he was very helpful and took my documents (KCC letter, denial letter, Early Filing Policy Memo PM-602-0088, and the August Visa Bulletin with the September rank cut-off of 27,500) inside to consult with someone more familiar with the situation.

Another officer inside the office insisted that since my DV rank number falls below the September rank cut-off of 27,500, I can only file the I-485 after September 1. I explained the Early Filing Memo again to the field officer, who kindly spoke with me, but he returned with the same answer: 'No.' I have no idea what else I can do.

Given the feedback from the officer, it seems the best solution is to file the I-485 again on September 1. Do you think there’s any chance I should try filing before then? Lol.

Regarding the medical exam, the officer said I can use a copy of the original exam (since I had sent the original version with my initial filing). I’m not sure if I need to go through biometric collection again, though.
Was not aware you were going back. I would have suggested taking a copy of the updated policy manual rather than the now outdated early filing memo. Not sure what else you can do at this stage other than try go back again with the manual (below) or file Sept 1 as it presumably will be the same officer. Not sure if mom has other suggestions.

2. When Selectees May File for Adjustment of Status​

DV numbers are available for purposes of visa allocation only for selectees with rank numbers below the cut-off numbers in the current month’s DV availability chart. The advance notification chart provides a preview of upcoming rank number cut-offs to help ensure timely filing and adjudication of DV adjustment applications.

A selectee may file an adjustment of status application when the selectee’s rank number is below the appropriate regional rank number cut-off in either:

• The current month’s DV availability chart; or
  • The advance notification chart for the next month.[55]
Although a selectee may file an adjustment application based on the advance notification chart, USCIS cannot approve an adjustment application unless and until DOS allocates a DV based on the current month’s chart.

Hi all! Here is my interview update:
I had an interview at Miami Field Office.
---
I was let in 15 minutes before my appointment. Went through a security check like in airports and then waited around 40 minutes before I was invited in by an officer. I took an oath. An officer just went through my I-485 questions and asked for my most recent I-20 (which was already submitted with a package but I had a copy with me). I had a ticket for careless driving in 2021 and I have disclosed that in my application. The officer asked for the proof of payment for that ticket (I thankfully had a copy with me, so I gave it to her). Then she asked why I have not submitted the proof of payment for that ticket with my application and I said that since it was under $200 ticket and I was never arrested - I did not have to submit it but I brought with me to the interview just in case. Then she laughed and said "you are correct. you really are not taking any chances - good that you brought that with you". The interview overall was nice and easy. The officer did not ask for the birth certificate or any other originals. She took my proof of payment for the ticket and went to another room to make a copy of my passports and driver's license. Then she asked if I had any questions. I asked if the interview was over, as I was surprised that it was this quick. She said yes the interview is over. Then I asked if my background check was cleared and the officer responded that she does not have that information as FBI is processing it not the USCIS. Then she asked what is the reason of my question about the background check and asked if there is something I worry about my criminal background. I responded that no I do not have any criminal record just worrying about the approaching deadline of a fiscal year and want to make sure my case will get adjusted before the end of it. She did not say anything, so I asked about the KCC letter - she responded that she is aware of the deadline and that if I do not hear the decision in 30 days - to contact USCIS contact center . Then she showed me the way out.
---
I am really worried now about the response of an officer. Is it a normal that she said she does not know if my FBI checked has been cleared? And is it normal that she did not give me decision and told me to wait 30 days?
My USCIS portal has not been updated since biometrics, so it just says that biometrics were taken and no update about the interview or anything. I am really worried!

Last edited:
Hi Mom,

yes definitely try a walk in, we did and it works! Just said I had a medical conflict on the proposed day. Went at the end o day when it was practically dead.

Both options, filing with or without the DV administrative fee payment receipt, has its pros and cons. You’ll need to weigh both carefully and make your own decision based on which you’re most comfortable with. You need to bear in mind though, that your AOS application must be adjudicated by Sept. 30th which is the last day of your DV FY.
Do you think the whole AOS process is still doable? Given the timing, as you said application must be adjudicated by sept 30th. I currently hold an E2 visa. Will you risk it to go through AOS and possibly jeopardizing my E2 renewal if green card process doesn't go through?

I mean sending the "package" to lockbox on September 1st (when CN became current) knowing the deadline is September 30th, based on you knowledge will give enough time to USCIS to process, give you appointment for bio, and interview? Did it happened in the past? Was looking at the timeline spreadsheet but infos for this timing are scarce.

Hi All! I was just wondering anyone whose i485 form was delivered on or after 8/02(Chicago lockbox) has got any updates from USCIS? Acceptance text or status on checks whether it's cashed or not ? I checked the Timeline and most of the updates happened about a week. Today I checked with the bank and the cashier's check is still on Pending.

Hi All! I was just wondering anyone whose i485 form was delivered on or after 8/02(Chicago lockbox) has got any updates from USCIS? Acceptance text or status on checks whether it's cashed or not ? I checked the Timeline and most of the updates happened about a week. Today I checked with the bank and the cashier's check is still on Pending.
Uscis lockbox has an ongoing issue for about 3 months. People getting their aos receipt notices around 45 days mark. But I see dv aos filers getting receipts faster.

Hope for the best!

I wouldn't wait if I was in your shoes. Like others mentioned add the new policy manual page printout to your application and file it now.