• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2024 AOS (Adjustment of Status) Process Only

Please one question Now thay i received dv payment receipt i will do early filling, i am getting package ready , do i need so send another payment for biometrics besides $1440?
No, you do not need to extra money for biometric. That is included in the $1440.

Good Morning @Sm1smom ,

I had an interview today at 8:30 am at the Dallas field office. I'm an F1 student currently in my junior year of college. While most DV-based case interviews were waived in Dallas, I went prepared with all the necessary documents, anticipating that there might be something specific in my case prompting the interview.

I was asked to take an oath, and the first thing the officer asked was if I knew why I was there. I replied that it was for the I-485 interview. The officer then informed me that my case was initially assigned to someone else, but they got sick, so he took over and only reviewed my case half an hour ago.

He mentioned that my file showed I was out of status from August 2022 to October 2022, which shocked me. He asked if I had documents from my school proving I was enrolled during that time. I provided my enrollment certificate and transcript from that semester, which clearly showed I was in status. I also mentioned that I transferred to a different school in 2023, which wouldn’t have been possible if I were out of status, adding to my confusion about his claim.

The officer carefully reviewed all the documents I initially submitted and double-checked every detail with me. At the end of the interview, he asked me to keep the documents I had given him, saying he needed to upload them to my file. He didn't even ask for my original birth certificate or anything else; he just asked for the school enrollment proof. He said he would submit a recommendation for review, and I would hear the decision in 6-12 weeks. The interview lasted about 20 minutes.

Now, I'm worried about why the officer thought I was out of status and if it really takes that long to do the final review of my file since the deadline for DV cases is the end of September, which is fast approaching. Do you have any advice on what I should do next? Thanks.

Good Morning @Sm1smom ,

I had an interview today at 8:30 am at the Dallas field office. I'm an F1 student currently in my junior year of college. While most DV-based case interviews were waived in Dallas, I went prepared with all the necessary documents, anticipating that there might be something specific in my case prompting the interview.

I was asked to take an oath, and the first thing the officer asked was if I knew why I was there. I replied that it was for the I-485 interview. The officer then informed me that my case was initially assigned to someone else, but they got sick, so he took over and only reviewed my case half an hour ago.

He mentioned that my file showed I was out of status from August 2022 to October 2022, which shocked me. He asked if I had documents from my school proving I was enrolled during that time. I provided my enrollment certificate and transcript from that semester, which clearly showed I was in status. I also mentioned that I transferred to a different school in 2023, which wouldn’t have been possible if I were out of status, adding to my confusion about his claim.

The officer carefully reviewed all the documents I initially submitted and double-checked every detail with me. At the end of the interview, he asked me to keep the documents I had given him, saying he needed to upload them to my file. He didn't even ask for my original birth certificate or anything else; he just asked for the school enrollment proof. He said he would submit a recommendation for review, and I would hear the decision in 6-12 weeks. The interview lasted about 20 minutes.

Now, I'm worried about why the officer thought I was out of status and if it really takes that long to do the final review of my file since the deadline for DV cases is the end of September, which is fast approaching. Do you have any advice on what I should do next? Thanks.
I'm sorry to hear about your confusing experience. I'm wondering, did you have a past I-20 issued that covered the dates between August and October 2022? That would be my first proof that I was never out of status.

Hi mom,
I received my approval notice yesterday but found out that my COA is incorrectly stated as F-1(my status before AOS). I recall someone having the same typo on their COA here but I couldn't locate the post. Would you suggest that I do nothing until I receive the actual GC?

Hi mom,
I received my approval notice yesterday but found out that my COA is incorrectly stated as F-1(my status before AOS). I recall someone having the same typo on their COA here but I couldn't locate the post. Would you suggest that I do nothing until I receive the actual GC?
Hey, that was me. I think the actual card should have the correct COA. They can’t issue a green card with F1 written on it.
I’m also waiting to receive the GC. Do you know if we get an update when the card is mailed?

I'm sorry to hear about your confusing experience. I'm wondering, did you have a past I-20 issued that covered the dates between August and October 2022? That would be my first proof that I was never out of status.
Yes, my I-20 covers the dates between August and October 2022 that the officer mentioned. It clearly shows that I was in status during that period. Thanks for your input!

Hey, that was me. I think the actual card should have the correct COA. They can’t issue a green card with F1 written on it.
I’m also waiting to receive the GC. Do you know if we get an update when the card is mailed?
Technically yes. I've tracked some approved cases and most of them do have the "Card was mailed to me" status but I wouldn't be surprised if that status doesn't come up.

Yes, my I-20 covers the dates between August and October 2022 that the officer mentioned. It clearly shows that I was in status during that period. Thanks for your input!
I see, that’s really strange. You had everything to prove your status. I hope it gets resolved much earlier than the timeline they gave you.

Good Morning @Sm1smom ,

I'm sorry to learn you were called in for an interview, while similar cases from your FO got their interview waived. At this point, you just have to be a bit more patient. The review will probably not take the 6-12 weeks timeframe you were provided with, as long as your case is not dealing with pending background check clearance in addition. So hang tight for now.

Hi Mom,

It's been a week since my interview. At the end of the interview, I received a paper stating "Your case is being held for review." The officer did not provide a specific timeline for a decision but mentioned awareness of the DV 2024 deadline.

I checked data from others who had interviews at the Santa Ana FO; most received a decision online within a week. During the interview, the officer did not mention a pending background check clearance on my case but focused on ensuring I had never been out of legal status. I applied for asylum before my L1B visa expired. She also, with her questions, tried to ensure that I never worked illegally after applying for asylum, waited 150 days before applying for an EAD, and only started working again legally in the USA after receiving the EAD. In my case, I did everything right and legally.

@Sm1smom from your experience, how long might it take to get a decision, considering my background check clearance wasn't mentioned as pending and concerns were in the areas I mentioned above? How long do you think is a reasonable time to wait from the interview date before seeking help from a congressman to get a decision before the DV 2024 deadline? What would you recommend as alternative actions?

Thanks in advance for your help and advice. I highly appreciate it!

Hi Mom,

It's been a week since my interview. At the end of the interview, I received a paper stating "Your case is being held for review." The officer did not provide a specific timeline for a decision but mentioned awareness of the DV 2024 deadline.

I checked data from others who had interviews at the Santa Ana FO; most received a decision online within a week. During the interview, the officer did not mention a pending background check clearance on my case but focused on ensuring I had never been out of legal status. I applied for asylum before my L1B visa expired. She also, with her questions, tried to ensure that I never worked illegally after applying for asylum, waited 150 days before applying for an EAD, and only started working again legally in the USA after receiving the EAD. In my case, I did everything right and legally.

@Sm1smom from your experience, how long might it take to get a decision, considering my background check clearance wasn't mentioned as pending and concerns were in the areas I mentioned above? How long do you think is a reasonable time to wait from the interview date before seeking help from a congressman to get a decision before the DV 2024 deadline? What would you recommend as alternative actions?

Thanks in advance for your help and advice. I highly appreciate it!
There's no standard timeframe for receiving a decision at the end of an interview when the IO has given a "case is being held for review" notice, considering the reason for handing out the notice varies. It could be because the background check clearance is still pending (even if the IO did not mention the background check clearance is still pending, especially if the applicant did not ask about their background check status). It could be because additional review needs to be conducted with regards to the applicant's status. It could be because the IO is running behind schedule and is unable to approve the case right away. It could be because the IO is not authorized to issue a final decision and they need to review the case with their supervisor first before a decision can be made. So again, there's no definitive timeframe for receiving a decision. In your case, like I previously explained, you are currently OOS (regardless of if your asylum application was before your previous status expired or not). Some IOs have been lenient with their interpretation of treating asylum pending as a valid status to DV AOS from, while some have not be so lenient. That IMHO is what I believe is holding up your approval.

In addition, @agafon, the other forum member who interviewed same day as you did, who was also given the "case is being held for review" like you is equally still waiting for a decision for now. You just need to be patient, while keeping your fingers crossed for them to finish whatever review they're needing to do. One week is not a long time to be waiting for a decision.

Hello,

I wanted to provide an update on our case. We are current for August, and our case is now at the field office. My husband (derivative applicant) received an RFE from the Field Office (Spokane, WA) to provide evidence that we have shared a marital life together since 2015. We have had the same physical address since marriage and have attended/are attending the same school. My husband only included the marriage certificate in his application, but my application included our joint savings accounts and joint IRS transcripts (past three years) for the financial documents section. Just wanted to share this in case it helps someone from the same field office or current/future AOS applicants.

Hello,

I wanted to provide an update on our case. We are current for August, and our case is now at the field office. My husband (derivative applicant) received an RFE from the Field Office (Spokane, WA) to provide evidence that we have shared a marital life together since 2015. We have had the same physical address since marriage and have attended/are attending the same school. My husband only included the marriage certificate in his application, but my application included our joint savings accounts and joint IRS transcripts (past three years) for the financial documents section. Just wanted to share this in case it helps someone from the same field office or current/future AOS applicants.
Please could you tell me how you found out that your current case is in the field office? thank you

Hello,

Assuming your husband was listed on your eDV registration, I think the person that issued the RFE is tripping. Looks like they are so used to dealing with marriage based AOS applications, they have therefore assumed you need to provide proof of shared marital life as required for a marriage base AOS. Anyways, if you're yet to respond to the RFE, here's a list of some additional documents which you may want to include: insurance policies listing each other as beneficiaries, property lease/deed with both names listed, utility bills, joint bank statements, personal wills/testaments, etc.

Earlier this morning, I had my interview and was informed that I was out of status during my first semester of college. I provided the IO with the necessary documents to prove my legal status during that time. At the end of the interview, I was told that it would take weeks to receive a decision. However, when I checked my case status online later, I was pleasantly surprised to see that it said, "New Card is Being Produced." I want to extend my gratitude to everyone who supported me through this process, especially @Sm1smom , who helps everyone in this forum free of charge, which is incredible. I would have wasted a lot of money if I hadn't found this forum. Best of luck to everyone going through their cases—I hope you all get your approvals soon. This has been quite a journey!

Earlier this morning, I had my interview and was informed that I was out of status during my first semester of college. I provided the IO with the necessary documents to prove my legal status during that time. At the end of the interview, I was told that it would take weeks to receive a decision. However, when I checked my case status online later, I was pleasantly surprised to see that it said, "New Card is Being Produced." I want to extend my gratitude to everyone who supported me through this process, especially @Sm1smom , who helps everyone in this forum free of charge, which is incredible. I would have wasted a lot of money if I hadn't found this forum. Best of luck to everyone going through their cases—I hope you all get your approvals soon. This has been quite a journey!
glad to hear it got sorted out so quickly! Congratulations

My husband received a voicemail today with a rambling message along the lines of:

"xxxxx from US immigration. I need information from you..... there was information pending on your background. I guess it's like doctors and people. I can get this done in another way."

I googled the number and it came up as Department of Defense. I called the number and it said Hawaii National Guard (not available).

1. Has anyone received a call from USCIS for information related to background check?
2. Anyone know if USCIS phone numbers go direct to their agency, or routed through generic call centers?

It seems super strange to me and want to make sure it's not spam. But also, huge coincidence considering we're dealing with USCIS at the moment.

Awesome news. Congratulations.