• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2024 AOS (Adjustment of Status) Process Only

Hi Mom, I have one concern that worries me after the interview.

When the officer asked for my employer verification letter, I only had brought my most recent three payslips. I asked if she wanted to see these payslips, but it seemed she did not understand the word "payslip" and ignored my question and only took note of the name of my current employer. Because the officer who interviewed me was not a native English speaker. Now my questions:

1. Do you think that not having even a chance to present my most recent payslips during the interview might affect the adjudication of my case?
2. If yes, can USCIS verify my employment with just the name of my employer?
3. If they cannot verify my employment with only the employer's name, should I send my most recent payslips via mail to avoid any potential Request for Evidence (RFE)? I am concerned that if an RFE is issued, I might not have enough time to respond before the end of September.

@Sm1smom I kindly ask for your advice on this awkward situation during the interview, as I am worried about how this might affect the adjudication of my case. Thanks in advance!

Hi all, I have a question regarding my current situation and would like to seek for some advise.
I'm currently working with EAD card with my F1 OPT, my lawyer told me that if I file for I-485 for DV AOS now, I will need to quit my job because I can no longer work legally. Has anyone been in similar situation? Has anyone heard of this before? Any suggestion/ feedback is highly appreciated! Thank you so much!!

Hi Mom, I have one concern that worries me after the interview.

When the officer asked for my employer verification letter, I only had brought my most recent three payslips. I asked if she wanted to see these payslips, but it seemed she did not understand the word "payslip" and ignored my question and only took note of the name of my current employer. Because the officer who interviewed me was not a native English speaker. Now my questions:

1. Do you think that not having even a chance to present my most recent payslips during the interview might affect the adjudication of my case?
2. If yes, can USCIS verify my employment with just the name of my employer?
3. If they cannot verify my employment with only the employer's name, should I send my most recent payslips via mail to avoid any potential Request for Evidence (RFE)? I am concerned that if an RFE is issued, I might not have enough time to respond before the end of September.

@Sm1smom I kindly ask for your advice on this awkward situation during the interview, as I am worried about how this might affect the adjudication of my case. Thanks in advance!
They will send you a RFE if they need any additional information from you. So the fact that you did not have your employer verification letter on hand, or the inability to present recent pay slips is not an automatic show spoiler. It is never a good idea to send in unsolicited information, there's no guarantee the sent information will make it's way to the IO since whatever you send in (unsolicited) will show without a required cover-slip, and will most likely end up being shredded as against before forwarded to your IO.

Hi all, I have a question regarding my current situation and would like to seek for some advise.
I'm currently working with EAD card with my F1 OPT, my lawyer told me that if I file for I-485 for DV AOS now, I will need to quit my job because I can no longer work legally. Has anyone been in similar situation? Has anyone heard of this before? Any suggestion/ feedback is highly appreciated! Thank you so much!!
The question is why are you working with a lawyer in the first place? And are you sure that person is an immigration lawyer? Anyway, regardless of whatever your reason for working with this so called lawyer, that person is completely clueless when it comes to filing for AOS, and not just a DV based AOS application as a matter of fact.

The question is why are you working with a lawyer in the first place? Anyway, regardless of whatever your reason for working with a lawyer, the lawyer is completely clueless when it comes to filing for AOS, and not just a DV based AOS application as a matter of fact.
Hi Mom, thanks for the feedback. I'm consulting a lawyer for a number of different questions regarding filing DV based AOS for me and my spouse and this topic came out during the discussion. Wondering if anyone has an idea, seeking for second opinion here...

Hi Mom, thanks for the feedback. I'm consulting a lawyer for a number of different questions and this question is one of them. So you've never heard of this before?
I think you should read my full response again as I do not wish to repeat myself (looks like you did not get to see my updated post).

First of all, this forum is incredible, and thank you, @Sm1smom and other users :cool: for running it and sharing your experiences.

Currently I am in the US on the L1A visa and proceeding with the AOS. I am about to send my package to the lockbox as I am awaiting the final pieces. I am planning to shortly leave the country, and being on L1 as a dual intent visa, I understand it is OK to leave the country which should not cause rejection of my AOS pending status (knowing that always the CBP officer at re-entry has the full authority whether to let me in or not).

I imagine it is a must to be in the US when signing I-485, but what about the later stages, as your case progresses? My initial plan was to leave the country after sending it to the lockbox. I imagine Lockbox is purely a "back office" stage of scanning and checking the documentation, but the real process starts when the USCIS sends NOA. If I want to travel in the first half of August, what should I avoid? Obviously, after re-entering I will get a new I-94... but with the same class of admission.

I have read the history and FAQ, and my question was mentioned there, but I still have some doubts. I would appreciate your thoughts, especially given the limited time many of us have left (I am Ready to insert my data in the spreadsheet). Thank you!

I am currently an F1 student on OPT and I can tell you for a fact that lawyer needs to resign. You honestly do not need a lawyer for this process. ( lesson learnt). And as @Sm1smom said you do not need to quit your job. Infact you need to be in status while applying and the OPT keeps you in status

First of all, this forum is incredible, and thank you, @Sm1smom and other users :cool: for running it and sharing your experiences.

Currently I am in the US on the L1A visa and proceeding with the AOS. I am about to send my package to the lockbox as I am awaiting the final pieces. I am planning to shortly leave the country, and being on L1 as a dual intent visa, I understand it is OK to leave the country which should not cause rejection of my AOS pending status (knowing that always the CBP officer at re-entry has the full authority whether to let me in or not).

I imagine it is a must to be in the US when signing I-485, but what about the later stages, as your case progresses? My initial plan was to leave the country after sending it to the lockbox. I imagine Lockbox is purely a "back office" stage of scanning and checking the documentation, but the real process starts when the USCIS sends NOA. If I want to travel in the first half of August, what should I avoid? Obviously, after re-entering I will get a new I-94... but with the same class of admission.

I have read the history and FAQ, and my question was mentioned there, but I still have some doubts. I would appreciate your thoughts, especially given the limited time many of us have left (I am Ready to insert my data in the spreadsheet). Thank you!
The Lockbox is not merely a back office for scanning and checking documentation. The Lockbox has the responsibility of issuing the NOA following intake processing completion. You may want to take a look at the NBC_Lockbox_FO tab of the AOS Process spreadsheet. Therefore, case processing starts from when the Lockbox receives the package.

You want to make sure the Lockbox has accepted your AOS package before you depart from the US (if you must travel during the process), which ideally should be after you receive your physical acceptance receipt in the mail. And you want to ensure you have someone who is able to check your mailbox so as to let you know when your bio notice shows (if you're still outside the country by then), and are able to promptly return to attend the bio appointment.

The Lockbox is not merely a back office for scanning and checking documentation. The Lockbox has the responsibility of issuing the NOA following intake processing completion. You may want to take a look at the NBC_Lockbox_FO tab of the AOS Process spreadsheet. Therefore, case processing starts from when the Lockbox receives the package.

You want to make sure the Lockbox has accepted your AOS package before you depart from the US (if you must travel during the process), which ideally should be after you receive your physical acceptance receipt in the mail. And you want to ensure you have someone who is able to check your mailbox so as to let you know when your bio notice shows (if you're still outside the country by then), and are able to promptly return to attend the bio appointment.
Thank you so much! I definitely missed the piece about the bio appointment that comes through regular mail. Regarding the bio: is it possible to reschedule (if really needed) online? It seems USCIS website has such functionality but maybe it's limited. (and yes, I have read about potential walk-ins option as well).

Thank you so much! I definitely missed the piece about the bio appointment that comes through regular mail. Regarding the bio: is it possible to reschedule (if really needed) online? It seems USCIS website has such functionality but maybe it's limited. (and yes, I have read about potential walk-ins option as well).
Yes, it is possible to reschedule the bio appointment. Certainly not an option I personally would entertain at this late stage of the game though.

I’ve recently completed the AOS process while working on OPT the entire time. Quite the opposite of what your lawyer said: you need to be employed while your AOS application is pending. Because in case your application is denied, and you are no longer working, you will have violated your OPT conditions (assuming you have then exhausted your unemployment days) and will subsequently fall out of status.

I suggest you stick to this forum and go through the spreadsheet to build your own application like I did. This place has helped me more than any lawyer could have!

Hi Mom, thanks for the feedback. I'm consulting a lawyer for a number of different questions regarding filing DV based AOS for me and my spouse and this topic came out during the discussion. Wondering if anyone has an idea, seeking for second opinion here...
Suggest you don’t listen to this “lawyer”who clearly knows nothing about DV or, it seems, AOS.