• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2024 AOS (Adjustment of Status) Process Only

I have an additional question related to my case. I have an interview scheduled next week, and as other applicants have mentioned, some attorneys recommend not disclosing traffic tickets on the I-485 form. I faced a similar situation and answered "No" to questions 25 and 27 in Part 8, even though I had two traffic citations in 2016 and 2023. I plan to disclose these at the interview, but I want to understand the best way to do so:

1) Should I notify the Immigration Officer (IO) before the oath that I would like to disclose the traffic citations, or should I wait until they ask questions 25 and 27 explicitly so I can answer "Yes" and provide a verbal explanation?
2) Should I update my I-485 form in advance to reflect this information by changing my answers and providing an explanation in Part 14?
3) If the answer to (2) is yes, my I-485 edition is 02/21/23 (outdated). Should I use the same version?
4) My Part 14 is fully filled. Is it acceptable to add an additional page to Part 14 to provide the explanation?
You can inform the IO at any point in time you wish to update the information on your I-485. Nothing formal about it. The IO will add the updated information on their computer.

@Sm1smom please see the following message, have you came across this response from USCIS: USCIS records indicate that case is pending at the Field Office. USCIS is committed to adjudicating immigration benefits in a timely and efficient manner while also ensuring public safety, national security, and compliance with all relevant directives. . Please know that this application is in queue and has not been overlooked.
Yes I have, not an unusual response.

Yes I have, not an unusual response.
could it suggest longer processing time due to TAL list/background check, is it good or bad, or is it just a standard response that I am overthinking? thanks @Sm1smom and I am sorry for the numerous posts. This AOS process can be overwhelming!

could it suggest longer processing time due to TAL list/background check, is it good or bad, or is it just a standard response that I am overthinking? thanks @Sm1smom and I am sorry for the numerous posts. This AOS process can be overwhelming!
It indicates the case is possibly in AP.

Hello,

we are family of 4, currently 10 months in US under U4U (UHP, ukrainian humanitarian parole)
I'm winner of DV2024, filed and sent DS-260 in May 2023

My case number 39XXX is in Current for EU which is 50000 for September

So we were thinking we need to travel and spend a lot of money, but accidentally found this forum

I saw all these google sheets with tons and tons of information

Could you plz just give a hit what to do next and are we eligible for AOS? and is eligible what to do?

Just a quick update: yesterday, I created a e-request (outside of normal processing time), and wrote to the congressman office. I’ll keep you posted if there are any updates and replies from them.
Today, I got a reply regarding my e-Request. Citing it here: “On June 27, 2024, you or your representative contacted USCIS concerning, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status; Form I-485 to notify us that you believe your case is outside of our normal processing time. Below is a summary of what we found and how the issue has been or may be resolved.

Your Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status; Form I-485 is pending review. We are actively reviewing your Form I-485, Receipt Number ***. Our records show nothing is outstanding at this time
. We will let you know if we need anything from you. If you move, go to …”

Looks like a standard response.
1. Is it possible to repeat these e-requests in case nothing happens on the next months?
3. Do you think it’ll make sense to do it at all?

As for the congressman office, I finally managed to call them through yesterday. They told me someone will call me back. I still have no idea if they have initiated an inquiry on my behalf. Maybe they did it, but didn’t inform me. And Chicago FO might be responding slowly. Maybe I’ll need to walk in to the congressman office if no call back this week, and if it’s possible to walk in. They didn’t seem nice when I talked to them.

Last edited:
You can inform the IO at any point in time you wish to update the information on your I-485. Nothing formal about it. The IO will add the updated information on their computer.
Hi Mom! We have the same field office with @agafon. My interview was also scheduled. If I have to make any changes (let's say I have a new employer as an example) in I-485, as I understood I should let the immigration office know about it verbally during the interview, and we don't have to get our I-485 form changed then copy and bring it to the interview? Your help is much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

It indicates the case is possibly in AP.
Is the message an indication of possibly being in AP? Or just because the background check seems to have a longer processing time?

Is there anyway to know if the background check has cleared? We are now 7 weeks post biometrics.

Hello,

we are family of 4, currently 10 months in US under U4U (UHP, ukrainian humanitarian parole)
I'm winner of DV2024, filed and sent DS-260 in May 2023

My case number 39XXX is in Current for EU which is 50000 for September

So we were thinking we need to travel and spend a lot of money, but accidentally found this forum

I saw all these google sheets with tons and tons of information

Could you plz just give a hit what to do next and are we eligible for AOS? and is eligible what to do?
Congratulations on becoming current. I’m guessing when you submitted your DS260 forms back in May 2023, you selected an embassy for processing your selection, right? Yes, you are eligible to process AOS, however if you previously selected CP on your DS260 form, and you now wish to switch to AOS (process your selection from within the US), then you need to contact the KCC right away and let them know you wish to switch from CP to AOS.

Next step, carefully go through the AOS Process spreadsheet - Start by going through the “AOS Process” tab, step 5 downwards are applicable to you. Then go through the AOS FAQ tab also.

Secret to being able to successfully process AOS involves going through the spreadsheet and asking specific follow up questions which you may have. So I recommend you spend some quality time reviewing it.

Today, I got a reply regarding my e-Request. Citing it here: “On June 27, 2024, you or your representative contacted USCIS concerning, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status; Form I-485 to notify us that you believe your case is outside of our normal processing time. Below is a summary of what we found and how the issue has been or may be resolved.

Your Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status; Form I-485 is pending review. We are actively reviewing your Form I-485, Receipt Number ***. Our records show nothing is outstanding at this time

1. Is it possible to repeat these e-requests in case nothing happens on the next months?

As for the congressman office, I finally managed to call them through yesterday. They told me someone will call me back. I still have no idea if they have initiated an inquiry on my behalf. Maybe they did it, but didn’t inform me. And Chicago FO might be responding slowly. Maybe I’ll need to walk in to the congressman office if no call back this week, and if it’s possible to walk in. They didn’t seem nice when I talked to them.
Unfortunately, we are in the same boat as you and @gruss . We are stressed about the Chicago field office because we have not received any updates, either for our own cases or others' waiting cases. I don't know why they are delaying the DV cases this year.

We previously asked Senator Duckworth for assistance on 4/17/2024. I then received a second RFE on 5/8/2024, which was dated 05/02/2024. They only asked about my I-20 forms because they couldn't find them in their records. I responded to it the next day, and I delivered the RFE response by hand to the USCIS local office on 5/9/2024.

On 6/4/2024, we inquired through Emma and received an email on 6/7/2024 from the USCIS local office stating that the case was processing normally and that nothing was outstanding.

On 6/25/2024, I contacted Congressman Danny K. Davis about our situation, but we have not received a response yet.

On 7/2/2024, we both made an e-request stating that our cases were outside the processing time. We have not yet received any response to this inquiry.

Hi Mom! We have the same field office with @agafon. My interview was also scheduled. If I have to make any changes (let's say I have a new employer as an example) in I-485, as I understood I should let the immigration office know about it verbally during the interview, and we don't have to get our I-485 form changed then copy and bring it to the interview? Your help is much appreciated! Thanks in advance!
can you please update the spreadsheet?

You can try a new submission one month down the road if there’s no new update.

That is correct. Do update the Timeline spreadsheet with your progress.

Unfortunately, we are in the same boat as you and @gruss . We are stressed about the Chicago field office because we have not received any updates, either for our own cases or others' waiting cases. I don't know why they are delaying the DV cases this year.

We previously asked Senator Duckworth for assistance on 4/17/2024. I then received a second RFE on 5/8/2024, which was dated 05/02/2024. They only asked about my I-20 forms because they couldn't find them in their records. I responded to it the next day, and I delivered the RFE response by hand to the USCIS local office on 5/9/2024.

On 6/4/2024, we inquired through Emma and received an email on 6/7/2024 from the USCIS local office stating that the case was processing normally and that nothing was outstanding.

On 6/25/2024, I contacted Congressman Danny K. Davis about our situation, but we have not received a response yet.

On 7/2/2024, we both made an e-request stating that our cases were outside the processing time. We have not yet received any response to this inquiry.
Thank you for your response! I’m aware of your case as I saw it in the spreadsheet. I agree we’re at the same boat. I think there are 6 people with Chicago FO, and only 2 of them got the green card/an update after biometrics. I did mine in December 2023.

I have no idea if we could do anything about our cases… but we still have some time, especially if the decide to waive interviews

Thank you for your response! I’m aware of your case as I saw it in the spreadsheet. I agree we’re at the same boat. I think there are 6 people with Chicago FO, and only 2 of them got the green card/an update after biometrics. I did mine in December 2023.

I have no idea if we could do anything about our cases… but we still have some time, especially if the decide to waive interviews
They would have conducted an interview if they had asked, but I don't expect any at the Chicago Field Office this year. There's probably only one officer looking at the DV-based AOS applications, and the officer is piling them together to look at them all at once.

Hello,
I am EU45K with a J1 visa. I was desperate for the DV but seeing that September update gave me hope. Should I start the process and submit the DS260? I am traveling in Europe in August and don't want to show any intent of immigration and be stuck at CBP on the way back. Could you please advise me?
Also, I just started EB2 NIW with a PD in May 2024, i140 is still under review, but the DV would save me a long wait.

Thanks all!
As mom said, make sure you go through the aos spreadsheet in detail, both in terms of what you need to do (especially given how late it is in the Fiscal year) and issues around leaving the US while its pending. I don’t know what your reason for travel is, but I will observe that a number of past applicants have thought it worth deferring travel plans until they have their green cards in hand, not sure if that is something you want to consider.

They would have conducted an interview if they had asked, but I don't expect any at the Chicago Field Office this year. There's probably only one officer looking at the DV-based AOS applications, and the officer is piling them together to look at them all at once.
How did you get information on how many IOs are handling DV based applications in your field office?