• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2024 AOS (Adjustment of Status) Process Only

We have the same FO (Fairfax VA) and I also applied with early filing in May (though I did include the early filing memo). I am sorry you are going through this, I am just commenting to have a record in the forum of two people filing early at the same FO and see what happens now I guess. Good luck!
Thank you. Good luck to you, too. I hope they don't make the same mistake for your case.

There have been a couple of reversed early filing case denials in the past based on either the applicant being able to visit the FO in person and plead their case, or being able to contact the FO through congressional case inquiry/assistance. Take a look at the DV Unique tracker spreadsheet where some of these case have been listed for reference.
Thank you Mom. I will try to reach out to a Tier 2 agent through Emma today. I'm also considering a congressional case inquiry/assistance for this case. But, for me to not lose my pending status (as my authorized stay is ending soon), I'm also preparing a new package to file a new application. Do you think having a new application and trying to convince USCIS for reconsideration of denied case at the same time would have any negative consequences?

Thank you Mom. I will try to reach out to a Tier 2 agent through Emma today. I'm also considering a congressional case inquiry/assistance for this case. But, for me to not lose my pending status (as my authorized stay is ending soon), I'm also preparing a new package to file a new application. Do you think having a new application and trying to convince USCIS for reconsideration of denied case at the same time would have any negative consequences?
Probably wouldn’t.

Heya Im getting nervous that something is amiss with our case or that we won't make the cutoff in time. Fingerprints were taken May 3rd at the Brooklyn Field Office NYC and i would have expected to progress to the Interview stage at this point given the timelines shared in the spreadsheet. It's nearly two months now... Anyone know if the Brooklyn Field OFfice is particularly backed up?

Probably wouldn’t.
Thank you. I will file a new application. Also, I think I will still submit I-290B so I'm officially processing a motion to reopen as mentioned in the denial letter. But I will try to reach out to USCIS in the mean time through any way possible (mail, senator, emma etc.) and explain them that I don't have the time to wait for the result of I-290B. I don't know it makes sense, I'm basically trying every possible way to make it work but your wise advice is always appreciated.

I've also pinged a few users whose cases were reopened back in 2021, to understand what exactly they have done to have USCIS reopen the case but I assume there is no standard way to have them do it.

Last edited:
Heya Im getting nervous that something is amiss with our case or that we won't make the cutoff in time. Fingerprints were taken May 3rd at the Brooklyn Field Office NYC and i would have expected to progress to the Interview stage at this point given the timelines shared in the spreadsheet. It's nearly two months now... Anyone know if the Brooklyn Field OFfice is particularly backed up?
Maybe you should start by updating your case progress to the Timeline spreadsheet seeing as you're utilizing and referencing it?

Thank you. I will file a new application. Also, I think I will still submit I-290B so I'm officially processing a motion to reopen as mentioned in the denial letter. But I will try to reach out to USCIS in the mean time through any way possible (mail, senator, emma etc.) and explain them that I don't have the time to wait for the result of I-290B. I don't know it makes sense, I'm basically trying every possible way to make it work but your wise advice is always appreciated.

I've also pinged a few users whose cases were reopened back in 2021, to understand what exactly they have done to have USCIS reopen the case but I assume there is no standard way to have them do it.
I have no other 'wise' advice to provide, considering I already made my thoughts (based on experience) known to you regarding filing an I-290B. I've also provided you with information on the prudent thing to do. So at this point, I will step aside while you make your decision(s) and proceed with what you deem as the best option(s) to proceed with. Your case, your call. And best of luck to you.

Maybe you should start by updating your case progress to the Timeline spreadsheet seeing as you're utilizing and referencing it?
Yes, at the same time i posted the message above I requested access to the spreadsheet as per the instructions at the top of the document so i could contribute.

I have no other 'wise' advice to provide, considering I already made my thoughts (based on experience) known to you regarding filing an I-290B. I've also provided you with information on the prudent thing to do. So at this point, I will step aside while you make your decision(s) and proceed with what you deem as the best option(s) to proceed with. Your case, your call. And best of luck to you.
Cannot appreciate enough, thank you so much!

Hello another update on the case.
So I requested for tier 2 call back in May and also congressional inquiry few weeks after. The inquiry just came back saying the Field office in Des Moines (previous FO under old address) is waiting for background check to clear so they issue an interview. And I should be receiving a mail soon with the interview date. However the same field office responded back to me few days ago saying the sent my inquiry to the FO Saint Louis on my new address. I’m just confused on where and who even has the case at this point. The tier 2 agent said it was at Des Moines that’s why he sent the inquiry there but the Des Moines IO said he will forward my inquiry to the FO with jurisdiction. I’m sorry to bother I just need expert opinion if anyone has ever encountered a similar situation. Thank you for your input.

“ Applicant’s A file is currently with Des Moines Field Office and awaiting to be scheduled for interview. Cannot be scheduled until background checks are completed. Once completed, applicant will be scheduled for interview and mailed an appointment notice to the address on file."
So I requested for tier 2 call back in May and also congressional inquiry few weeks after. The inquiry just came back saying the Field office in Des Moines (previous FO under old address) is waiting for background check to clear so they issue an interview. And I should be receiving a mail soon with the interview date. However the same field office responded back to me few days ago saying the sent my inquiry to the FO Saint Louis on my new address. I’m just confused on where and who even has the case at this point. The tier 2 agent said it was at Des Moines that’s why he sent the inquiry there but the Des Moines IO said he will forward my inquiry to the FO with jurisdiction. I’m sorry to bother I just need expert opinion if anyone has ever encountered a similar situation. Thank you for your input.
Don’t people even get interview letters while pending background checks so what are they even saying here lol?

Yes, we've seen this type of situation before. This back and forth punting is not unusual when an applicant relocate after filing for AOS. To avoid being in this type of situation is why we keep telling people to not relocate of initiate a change of address after filing for AOS.

I recall @milkypantz, a 2023 selectee was in a similar situation last year, trying to figure out where their case file was - they filed while living in LA and moved to NY shortly after. It took several months for their case to get resolved, although they also had an issue of having sent in an incomplete medical report. They got the run-around response every time they tried to get a status update on their case. Take a look at the 2023 Timeline spreadsheet or search for them on the 2023 AOS Thread to read more about their experience.

“ Applicant’s A file is currently with Des Moines Field Office and awaiting to be scheduled for interview. Cannot be scheduled until background checks are completed. Once completed, applicant will be scheduled for interview and mailed an appointment notice to the address on file."

Don’t people even get interview letters while pending background checks so what are they even saying here lol?
It depends. Different scenarios could apply:
- Some FOs will not schedule or send out the IL while the background check clearance is still pending, (so there is nothing unusual in the above response, if indeed that is what is going on with your case).
- Some will go ahead and schedule the interview and proceed accordingly but will not approve the case until after the background check clears.
- Some will schedule the interview and send out the IL without checking if the background check has cleared or not, they however will refuse to proceed with the interview if the clearance is still pending as at the day of the interview - yes, we've had reports in such situations of IOs canceling the interview after the applicant shows up at the FO, they tell the applicant a new IL would be sent out when a new date gets scheduled.

Hi, mom

My current situation is that I still haven't received the interview notice (FO: Seattle), while my wife's status shows "interview is ready to be scheduled." Does this mean they are still reviewing my background? Will we both need to clear the background check before the interview can proceed?

If my wife's interview is scheduled and I still haven't received my interview notice, should we attend the interview together? Will my case not be approved until my interview is scheduled?

Yes, we've seen this type of situation before. This back and forth punting is not unusual when an applicant relocate after filing for AOS. To avoid being in this type of situation is why we keep telling people to not relocate of initiate a change of address after filing for AOS.

I recall @milkypantz, a 2023 selectee was in a similar situation last year, trying to figure out where their case file was - they filed while living in LA and moved to NY shortly after. It took several months for their case to get resolved, although they also had an issue of having sent in an incomplete medical report. They got the run-around response every time they tried to get a status update on their case. Take a look at the 2023 Timeline spreadsheet or search for them on the 2023 AOS Thread to read more about their experience.
I definitely remember the case cause I have reviewed it a couple times before today. It’s just interesting how they advise us to communicate changes in address but then it turns to affect you negatively. I didn’t know about this forum as of the time I did that as well so that’s the sad part. Anyway, I just hope and pray the Des Moines FO is right and get an IL. My only headache right now is not being surprised at the day of interview that they need to transfer to the new jurisdiction to rather conduct the interview. Thank you so much for you assistance. At this point I will just wait and see if letter comes. I will update if anything else comes up. I’m grateful

It depends. Different scenarios could apply:
- Some FOs will not schedule or send out the IL while the background check clearance is still pending, (so there is nothing unusual in the above response, if indeed that is what is going on with your case).
- Some will go ahead and schedule the interview and proceed accordingly but will not approve the case until after the background check clears.
- Some will schedule the interview and send out the IL without checking if the background check has cleared or not, they however will refuse to proceed with the interview if the clearance is still pending as at the day of the interview - yes, we've had reports in such situations of IOs canceling the interview after the applicant shows up at the FO, they tell the applicant a new IL would be sent out when a new date gets scheduled.
Going to the interview with background checks cleared is probably the most ideal since I won’t have to worry about that after approval. I didn’t know Different FOs had unique ways of handling background checks. I did stay in different places over the years so honestly I am not surprised by the delay. I’m just curious if there is an expedited background process to help move forward once An IO reviews case.

Hello Mom,
Its been 105 days since we submitted the application. My application is in top 90 percentile for application processing time in every major parameter (e.g. since submitted at Dallas Lockbox, since NOA received and since Biometrics completion) from comparison perspective in last 8 years at Houston FO. Only update, we have received from weekly live agent chats via EMMA is IO is reviewing the file. I think I fall under TAL list (chemical engineering background) which may explain longer times for background checks (already ~2.5 months since biometrics completion)
Do you recommend more patience or submitting an congressional inquiry?
Appreciate your feedback.

Hello Mom,
Its been 105 days since we submitted the application. My application is in top 90 percentile for application processing time in every major parameter (e.g. since submitted at Dallas Lockbox, since NOA received and since Biometrics completion) from comparison perspective in last 8 years at Houston FO. Only update, we have received from weekly live agent chats via EMMA is IO is reviewing the file. I think I fall under TAL list (chemical engineering background) which may explain longer times for background checks (already ~2.5 months since biometrics completion)
Do you recommend more patience or submitting an congressional inquiry?
Appreciate your feedback.
If your Timeline is already outside the reported processing timeline of similar cases from your FO, then yes you could initiate a congressional inquiry now.

Hello, Can anybody please tell what other supporting documents (e.g. 1NL or NOA etc.) are required to be submitted along with the summary document created after submitting the congressional inquiry electronically?
Our congresswoman requires to deliver in person the signed inquiry summary document. Is there any other supporting document (e.g. 1NL or NOA etc) i would need to submit along? Appreciate your response.

Last edited:
It is not unusual for all the cases to not get the same update at the same time.

p.s. Update your case progress on the Timeline Spreadsheet. You’re missing quite a couple of pertinent information.
This is the newest update below. And I have updated the speadsheet as well.
Does this mean applications were approved? This took only 39 days since delivery and they ordered cards in the very first date of immidate visa avalibility, thanks MOM!

However, there are updates only for two applications (wife - principal applicant and our daughter) out of three. Mine is still pending.
I am wondering if it is due to system updates or due to some additional backround check for myself. Should I be concerned?

Another theory - I have my Sevis active as F1 student, maybe they should coordinate the status change with my university.

Attachments

• photo_2024-07-02_09-54-56.jpg
    photo_2024-07-02_09-54-56.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 24