• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2024 AOS (Adjustment of Status) Process Only

Hi @Sm1smom ,

My husband and I updated our case in the spreadsheet. We hope it helps other people. While I received my card on Thursday (same as @rondon ), my husband's case is still stuck on the fingerprints. Do you have an advice about the best way to initiate a query about my husband's case?
Thank you for your help!

@themarina
Hmm, it seems like you were interviewed in Detroit the same day I did. Wishing I had company along the way :) :)..

Was your officer Bakko?

Hello, Just a quick question on SSN number. I already have SSN card because of my work visa. Just to confirm, the SSN number does not change after the greencard approval right? The SSN card gets replaced with the same number after the green card approval right?
Thank you in advance.

Hello, Just a quick question on SSN number. I already have SSN card because of my work visa. Just to confirm, the SSN number does not change after the greencard approval right? The SSN card gets replaced with the same number after the green card approval right?
Thank you in advance.
SSN is for life, it doesn’t change. If you selected the option of being issued with a SSN on your I-486, you will receive a new card, same number, with DHS restrictions still listed on it. If you want a new card without DHS restrictions listed, you’ll need to visit the SSA office with your GC to update your information and apply for the replacement card.

hi mom,

should I send the original translations to USCIS or just a copy of the documents?
Ideally, the original translation should be sent. But if you’re able to make very clear and legible copies (and if getting a new translation could be an issue in the future), then you could send a copy in that case.

Hello Mom, I had chat with EMMA today and the agent told me "back ground checks will continue until applications have a decision made. there is no definitive "completed"". Is this true?
Also, is it normal for IO to review the case file weakly basis?

Last edited:
IMG_3389.jpegHi everyone,

I would like to know more better about if we can do AOS through TPS though we applied for it while being out of status .

I’ve read in the USCIS website that travel document issued through TPS if the TPS holder traveled outside USA and was admitted upon return that will make the applicant eligible to do the AOS .

I appreciate your advice and experience if someone know or did this path to do the AOS .

Hello,

I have a question regarding paying the I-485 fee with a money order. Should the money order be addressed to USCIS or Homeland Security? Also, what is the correct address for sending it?

Hello Mom, I had chat with EMMA today and the agent told me "back ground checks will continue until applications have a decision made. there is no definitive "completed"". Is this true?
Also, is it normal for IO to review the case file weakly basis?
Frontline agents have no access to an applicant’s full case file, asking them if your background check has cleared is a waste of time. The only time it makes sense to ask about background check clearance is at the end of the interview (for those scheduled to attend one). The IO can open a case file as many times as they deem necessary.

Frontline agents have no access to an applicant’s full case file, asking them if your background check has cleared is a waste of time. The only time it makes sense to ask about background check clearance is at the end of the interview (for those scheduled to attend one). The IO can open a case file as many times as they deem necessary.
Thank you Mom.

View attachment 4736Hi everyone,

I would like to know more better about if we can do AOS through TPS though we applied for it while being out of status .

I’ve read in the USCIS website that travel document issued through TPS if the TPS holder traveled outside USA and was admitted upon return that will make the applicant eligible to do the AOS .

I appreciate your advice and experience if someone know or did this path to do the AOS .
AOS eligibility requires the applicant to have never fallen OOS. The only exception to this requirement AFAIK is a marriage based AOS if married to a USC, in which case the OOS gets forgiven.

Per the USCIS Manual:
“The departure and subsequent reentry of an applicant who has at any time failed to maintain a lawful immigration status or violated the terms of the nonimmigrant status on any previous entry into the United States does not erase the bar. Otherwise, an applicant who has failed to maintain lawful status or violated status could simply depart the United States, reenter immediately, and become eligible to file for adjustment of status.

Hello,

I have a question regarding paying the I-485 fee with a money order. Should the money order be addressed to USCIS or Homeland Security? Also, what is the correct address for sending it?
1. U.S. Department of Homeland Security
2. Your applicable Lockbox address

AOS eligibility requires the applicant to have never fallen OOS. The only exception to this requirement AFAIK is a marriage based AOS if married to a USC, in which case the OOS gets forgiven.

Per the USCIS Manual:
“The departure and subsequent reentry of an applicant who has at any time failed to maintain a lawful immigration status or violated the terms of the nonimmigrant status on any previous entry into the United States does not erase the bar. Otherwise, an applicant who has failed to maintain lawful status or violated status could simply depart the United States, reenter immediately, and become eligible to file for adjustment of status.

The AOS spreadsheet says you are eligible if:

1. Physically present in US.
2. You were inspected or paroled when entering the US.
3. Never violated your admitted status.
4. Not currently out of status.

If I'm reading your post correctly, point 4 should say: never been out of status, not currently out of status. Is this correct?

The AOS spreadsheet says you are eligible if:

1. Physically present in US.
2. You were inspected or paroled when entering the US.
3. Never violated your admitted status.
4. Not currently out of status.

If I'm reading your post correctly, point 4 should say: never been out of status, not currently out of status. Is this correct?
No, it should not say that.

That is what point 3 says - more or less. A violation of an admitted status automatically equates to being out of status.

Point 4 is about being in a “pending” status. e.g. someone with a pending COS application is not currently in a valid status. While the person may go ahead and file for AOS if they wish, the AOS application cannot be adjudicated without the COS application being approved.

No, it should not say that.

That is what point 3 says - more or less. A violation of an admitted status automatically equates to being out of status.

Point 4 is about being in a “pending” status. e.g. someone with a pending COS application is not currently in a valid status. While the person may go ahead and file for AOS if they wish, the AOS application cannot be adjudicated without the COS application being approved.
Is "Pending status" a issue at the time of I-485 submission or is it an issue throughout the I-485 AOS adjudication? I was on valid status at the time of AOS package submission. Now, I am waiting for approval of extension of my work visa. Am i currently out of status? or will they not adjudicate I-485 AOS until my extension visa application is resolved?

Last edited:
Is "Pending status" an issue at the time of I-485 submission or is it an issue throughout the I-485 AOS adjudication? I was on valid status at the time of AOS package submission. Now, I am waiting for approval of extension of my work visa. Am i currently out of status? or will they not adjudicate I-485 AOS until my extension visa application is resolved?
That post is about being in a pending status as at the time of AOS filing - I guess I should have made that clarification.

Hi, good morning everyone!
I just received my bio letter yesterday, but I was disappointed to see they are directing me to go to Oakland CA asc. It make sense because I live in Oakland, but I’m much closer from the SF asc (much more convenient to go there also). So, questions:
1) is it a good idea to try to do a walk in at SF asc ?
2) my wife and I have obviously the time and date appointment at Oakland. If I go to the SF asc, should she come along so that both cases are kept together?

Have an excellent day!
Thanks.