• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2023 All Selectees (Consular Processing - CP)

Indeed, if the instructions for your embassy don’t ask for something to be authenticated it’s because it’s not necessary. To say it the obvious way, they ask for what they need.

By the way, I was making a very specific recommendation about a very specific instance, it’s generally not a good idea on the forum to jump on something like that and try generalize it.
Oh I'm really sorry, won't happen again! And thank you again for replying to my question!

If I won DV2023, am I allowed to also partecipate to DV2024 meanwhile I wait to be processed for DV2023?
Thanks in advance!

When I went to the passport office last week, they suggested I get a new passport with my spouse's name added to it since I recently got married (My current passport is valid for another 3 years). It is not mandatory to do this but if I do that, I will get a new passport number.

If so, do I need to reopen my DS-260 and update the new passport information? or is it better to avoid it?

When I went to the passport office last week, they suggested I get a new passport with my spouse's name added to it since I recently got married (My current passport is valid for another 3 years). It is not mandatory to do this but if I do that, I will get a new passport number.

If so, do I need to reopen my DS-260 and update the new passport information? or is it better to avoid it?
You don't need to unlock the DS260 for that. But be prepared to attend your interview with both passports.

Is it better to say ,No‘ for SSN in the form ds260?

I‘ve read some people had problems in getting their Social Security Number. It would have been taken longer than people who went to office and asked for SSN.

They reco to go to the office and get it there, when you are in the US after Issuance.

Yes or No in the ds260?

Is it better to say ,No‘ for SSN in the form ds260?

I‘ve read some people had problems in getting their Social Security Number. It would have been taken longer than people who went to office and asked for SSN.

They reco to go to the office and get it there, when you are in the US after Issuance.

Yes or No in the ds260?
Even if you decide to apply in person (because you selected NO on your DS260 form), it will still take at least two weeks for your immigration information (after your arrival to the US) to cycle through the systems before the SSA office can access the required information to process a SSN application. Bear in mind, nobody planned for COVID-19 when it happened which basically led to in-person application processing being suspended for a long time in most government offices. Yes, some people ended up visiting the SSA office to apply in person even after selecting YES on the DS260 form. Majority of those who selected the YES option however did indeed receive the SSN in the mail shortly after their arrival (and without needing to do anything else). So your call as to which option is better to go with.

Even if you decide to apply in person (because you selected NO on your DS260 form), it will still take at least two weeks for your immigration information (after your arrival to the US) to cycle through the systems before the SSA office can access the required information to process a SSN application. Bear in mind, nobody planned for COVID-19 when it happened which basically led to in-person application processing being suspended for a long time in most government offices. Yes, some people ended up visiting the SSA office to apply in person even after selecting YES on the DS260 form. Majority of those who selected the YES option however did indeed receive the SSN in the mail shortly after their arrival (and without needing to do anything else). So your call as to which option is better to go with.
I see. I now gave my Yes to that question and hope to get my SSN shortly After I enter the US.

I was just wondering if you could give me some advice. Thanks so much!

1. In regards to the two year work experience, if I were to ask for a letter from previous employers, what should I ask to be written in the letter to satisfy proof in a position that requires two years training/experience? I was thinking just my position in the company and dates employed would be satisfactory? Is that enough or should I ask for tasks/duties involved and that it required a bachelors degree for the position?

2. If I wanted to get a degree equivalency done for my Bachelor's degree, are there specific companies that USCIS prefers? Eg, Trustforte, WES, ECE?
Is one better than the other?

3. If I choose the CP route, and I have lived in the U.S. before, should I provide tax returns at the interview or email them as well?

4. I understand that going to the U.S. on an NIV after winning the lottery is considered fraud, but if I had been preparing an application for a NIV long before winning lottery, and had worked very hard towards the NIV, should I still go ahead with my application considering the lottery is not guaranteed anyway? If I chose CP would that mean it wasn't fraudelent as along as I apply outside of country versus change of status?

Hello,

My friend contacted me today and they are moving to another address.
I mentioned her address in the ds260 to mailing the GC to her house.

I recently reopened my ds260 and resubmitted it again.
Do I have to unlock it again or is it possible to change the address in the interview?

Hello,

My friend contacted me today and they are moving to another address.
I mentioned her address in the ds260 to mailing the GC to her house.

I recently reopened my ds260 and resubmitted it again.
Do I have to unlock it again or is it possible to change the address in the interview?
You can change it in the interview, and if necessary you can change it again at the port of entry when you immigrate,

I forgot to mention a small overstay of a week on my esta, it was approved, but when going to travel, was denied boarding and esta was cancelled via email a few mins later. no reason was given. I looked up my arrival departure record after that, and saw the overstay. I have now been selected for further processing, and have listed this overstay in my ds260. Will my prior esta cause me misrepresentation in this?

I forgot to mention a small overstay of a week on my esta, it was approved, but when going to travel, was denied boarding and esta was cancelled via email a few mins later. no reason was given. I looked up my arrival departure record after that, and saw the overstay. I have now been selected for further processing, and have listed this overstay in my ds260. Will my prior esta cause me misrepresentation in this?
Unlikely to be a problem.

The reason your ESTA was cancelled was simple, you lose your ESTA privileges when you violate any ESTA conditions, as you did by overstaying. Did you try apply for a tourist visa after that?

the overstay was on a tourist visa from years ago, i stated i had no overstays on my esta form after this. is misrepresentation not taken into account for any prior applications?

the overstay was on a tourist visa from years ago, i stated i had no overstays on my esta form after this. is misrepresentation not taken into account for any prior applications?
Ok, got it. But same principle - ESTA is deniable for past overstays on visas too - that’s why the ESTA was cancelled.

I doubt it would count as a material misrepresentation, certainly not for an immigrant visa (I wouldn’t rate your chances of a tourist visa highly), and it’s declared now as you said.

Ok, got it. But same principle - ESTA is deniable for past overstays on visas too - that’s why the ESTA was cancelled.

I doubt it would count as a material misrepresentation, certainly not for an immigrant visa (I wouldn’t rate your chances of a tourist visa highly), and it’s declared now as you said.
Thank you Susie, this section of Fam had me questioning whether to proceed since if I had declared it I wouldn't have received the ESTA in the first place, thus misrepresentation.

(b) (U) Misrepresentations Concerning Previous Visa Applications
(iii) (U) Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA): A misrepresentation made in an ESTA application is material if it tends to shut off a line of inquiry that is relevant to the individual’s admissibility or eligibility for an ESTA authorization and would predictably have disclosed other facts relevant to such admissibility or eligibility; or if the individual was ineligible for ESTA under the true facts.

Thank you Susie, this section of Fam had me questioning whether to proceed since if I had declared it I wouldn't have received the ESTA in the first place, thus misrepresentation.

(b) (U) Misrepresentations Concerning Previous Visa Applications
(iii) (U) Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA): A misrepresentation made in an ESTA application is material if it tends to shut off a line of inquiry that is relevant to the individual’s admissibility or eligibility for an ESTA authorization and would predictably have disclosed other facts relevant to such admissibility or eligibility; or if the individual was ineligible for ESTA under the true facts.
misrepresentation also has to be wilful to lead to an ineligibility. Did you lie on purpose to get an ESTA?

PS please give proper sources of quotes in future so that the context is clear. The FAM is massive.

a. (U) To find an individual ineligible under INA 212(a)(6)(C)(i), you must determine that the following four elements have been satisfied:

(1) (U) There has been an affirmative act of misrepresentation made by the applicant (see 9 FAM 302.9-4(B)(3));

(2) (U) The misrepresentation was willfully made (see 9 FAM 302.9-4(B)(4));

(3) (U) The fact misrepresented is material (see 9 FAM 302.9-4(B)(5); and

(4) (U) The applicant by using fraud or misrepresentation (see 9 FAM 302.9-4(B)(2) below) seeks to procure, has sought to procure, or has procured a visa, other documentation, admission into the United States (see 9 FAM 302.9-4(B)(7) paragraph a), or other benefit provided under the INA (see 9 FAM 302.9-4(B)(7) paragraph b).

9 FAM 302.9-4(B)(4) (U) Interpretation of the Term Willfully

(CT:VISA-1358; 09-10-2021)

a. (U) Willfully Defined: The term "willfully" as used in INA 212(a)(6)(C)(i) is interpreted to mean knowingly and intentionally, as distinguished from accidentally, inadvertently, or in an honest belief that the facts are otherwise. You must determine that the individual was fully aware of the nature of the information sought and knowingly, intentionally, and deliberately made an untrue statement to find the element of willfulness.

Thank you again Susie. No I didn't but I'm not sure how i prove that, and I understood that the onus is on me to so?

I'm very sorry about that

Last edited:
Thank you again Susie. No I didn't but I'm not sure how i prove that, and I understood that the onus is on me to so?

I'm very sorry about that
Actually if you read the FAM extract, the onus is more on them to prove it was willful - ineligibility is actually a big deal for US visa officers to decide and it’s not something they randomly determine without being sure its applicable. I cant guarantee anything obviously but I honestly think you’ll be fine. If it had been something like deliberately concealing a serious criminal record it would be a different matter.