• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2023 All Selectees (Consular Processing - CP)

Hello there! I have a question about military records that I need to obtain to interview. I have not served the army. I moved from my home country to Kazakhstan and now I have a residency here. So according to the Kazakhstan law I can't have a militaty registration here and thats why any military records( which will say that I have not served the army) from my home country and country of my residence are unavailable to get. What can I do with it? Are these records so important even if I didnt serve? What can I do with my case?

Hello there! I have a question about military records that I need to obtain to interview. I have not served the army. I moved from my home country to Kazakhstan and now I have a residency here. So according to the Kazakhstan law I can't have a militaty registration here and thats why any military records( which will say that I have not served the army) from my home country and country of my residence are unavailable to get. What can I do with it? Are these records so important even if I didnt serve? What can I do with my case?
What is your home country? Does it have compulsory military service?

Its Russia. Yes it does. When a person turns 18 he is taken to the army. But I left country at 17 y.o and have not come back there since.
I’m not 100% sure, but if you left Russia before the age of compulsory military service, and your residency status makes you ineligible for military service in Kazakhstan, i can’t see how you would be expected to show any documents.

Hey guys,

I got a question about documents, do I need to have them stamped by the ministry of foreign affairs or not needed? I've checked the reciprocity but couldn't find any info about that

Hi Mom,

I got selected from the Asia region for DV2023. I have got selected in the H1B lottery and the company has filed for the H1B.
Even though my H1B is in process and is a dual intent visa, will submitting my DS260 affect the approval of H1B?

Also, if I travel to the US by end of this year or early next year and do not want to do a change of status, will I be able to go ahead with consular processing by coming back to my country at the time of interview? or is it mandatory to do the change of status since I moved to the US?

Hi Mom,

I got selected from the Asia region for DV2023. I have got selected in the H1B lottery and the company has filed for the H1B.
Even though my H1B is in process and is a dual intent visa, will submitting my DS260 affect the approval of H1B?

Also, if I travel to the US by end of this year or early next year and do not want to do a change of status, will I be able to go ahead with consular processing by coming back to my country at the time of interview? or is it mandatory to do the change of status since I moved to the US?
1. DS260 submission should not impact your H1B processing - H1B allows for a dual intent.
2. Yes, you can always return home to process CP, no mandate to process AOS on the basis of being based in the US.

Hello! My family won DV-2022 The husband is the main applicant, but he has a criminal record in Russia 18 years ago at the age of 17 for a fight with serious bodily injury. Do we have a chance to get a visa or it makes no sense to go for an interview?
Thank you)

Hello! My family won DV-2022 The husband is the main applicant, but he has a criminal record in Russia 18 years ago at the age of 17 for a fight with serious bodily injury. Do we have a chance to get a visa or it makes no sense to go for an interview?
Thank you)

not sure anyone here is able to give you a definitive answer. Might be worth a consultation with an immigration lawyer (the forums are hosted by one, see details at the top) as this consideration would be the same for any US immigrant visa. There is an exception for criminal ineligibilities for a crime committed under the age of 18 - i have given you a link and the relevant extract below - but would strongly suggest you get proper legal advice on it as it may not be straightforward, and they will also be able to determine how the actual crime of the conviction relates to being a “crime of moral turpitude“

https://fam.state.gov/fam/09FAM/09FAM030203.html

The Minor Exception

(CT:VISA-1541; 05-12-2022)

a. (U) Provisions of INA 212(a)(2)(A)(ii)(I): A conviction or admission of a crime involving moral turpitude will not serve as the basis of ineligibility under INA 212(a)(2)(A)(i)(I), if the following conditions have been met:

(1) (U) The crime was committed when the applicant was under 18 years of age; and

(2) (U) The crime was committed (and the applicant released from any confinement to a prison or correctional institution imposed for the crime) more than five years before the date of application for a visa or other documentation and the date of application for admission to the United States.
b. (U) More Than One Crime: If an applicant has been convicted of more than one crime involving moral turpitude, the minor exception does not apply. Additionally, in some instances the court records might show that an applicant was convicted guilty of conduct constituting more than one crime involving moral turpitude, although only one conviction resulted and the conviction itself encompasses multiple crimes (e.g., a conspiracy involving multiple robberies resulting in a single conviction for “conspiracy”). In such a case, the applicant is ineligible for the minor exception and remains ineligible under INA 212(a)(2)(A)(i)(I), but only if it is clear that the conviction itself encompasses multiple crimes where the elements of each crime were met. By contrast, some court records may reflect that the applicant was charged with multiple individual CIMTs, but convicted of only one, in which case the minor exception would still apply. If you have an applicant who might be eligible for the minor exception but for the fact that it appears that the conviction itself encompasses multiple crimes involving moral turpitude, please contact your attorney advisor in L/CA.

c. (U) Conviction When Applicant Was Over 18: It does not matter if the conviction occurred when the applicant was over the age of 18 if the relevant crime was committed when the applicant was under the age of 18.

d. (U) Confirm Existence of a Conviction: Before applying the minor exception for a crime involving moral turpitude, you should first consider whether the offense was not a crime, but in fact a "juvenile delinquency."

Hello! When filling out ds260 in parents address I wrote Crimea and country Russia instead of Ukraine. I've submitted ds already. Is this going to be a problem at the interview?

Hello!
I have a problem with the original spelling of my name on the original DV-23 application. When I was filling it out, I entered my name as "Felix", but after I received a notification about winning a green card, I found that in my passport my name was transliterated as "Feliks".
Will I have any problems during my interview at the US Consulate in Warsaw?
I filed out my DS-260 application correctly and put my name as in my passport.
I already had US B1/B2 visas where my name was spelled correctly as "Feliks".
Which steps should I make in order to minimize the risk of being refused by that stupid mistake I made?
Thank you in advance!

Hello!
I have a problem with the original spelling of my name on the original DV-23 application. When I was filling it out, I entered my name as "Felix", but after I received a notification about winning a green card, I found that in my passport my name was transliterated as "Feliks".
Which steps should I make in order to minimize the risk of being refused by that stupid mistake I made?
Thank you in advance!
Nothing that you can do, but for a typo it's usually not a problem. I had the same problem, filled in my name right in the DS260, when I got the interview scheduled I informed the embassy and they changed it in the day of the interview.

Nothing that you can do, but for a typo it's usually not a problem. I had the same problem, filled in my name right in the DS260, when I got the interview scheduled I informed the embassy and they changed it in the day of the interview.
Thank you so much!!
Have you filled the line "other names used" in DS-260 application where you put that "incorrect" name originally filled in the DV form?

Hello!
Thank you in advance!
You should list both spelling iterations on your DS260 form. One in the regular name section, the second one in the other name section.

You should list both spelling iterations on your DS260 form. One in the regular name section, the second one in the other name section.
So, dear Sir, you mean, that i should put the original name Feliks as in my passport in DS-260 and the misspelled name Felix in the line "other names used"?

So, dear Sir, you mean, that i should put the original name Feliks as in my passport in DS-260 and the misspelled name Felix in the line "other names used"?
You’ll need to use your discretion as to which name goes where, the important thing is to list both. How is your name spelt on your birth certificate? Put whichever you consider the correct spelling of your name in the name section, and list the second spelling iteration in the other name section.