• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2023 All Selectees (Consular Processing - CP)

Hey all,

I have been selected in the DV-2023. I am filling the DS-260 form but I have to fill a US address which I don't have and unfortunately I don't know anyone in the US. What can I add in this section? If I add a random state, do I have to go there if I get my green card or can I change the address later on?

I would pretty much appreciate your help!
Many people are in this situation and put the address of something like a hotel in the meantime. You will need a “proper” address by the time of your interview (you can change it again when you actually enter the US if necessary). You don’t have to go to this address/state when you land, but it is the address your green card and SSN card will be sent to so it needs to be someone you can trust.

Hi guys,

It's me again with the "father" situation on my birth certificate.

I need advice from you so let me explain what happened.
In my previous post, I mentioned that on my birth certificate my father's real surname is wrong.
I spoke to my mother regarding the real surname and unfortunately, she doesn't know the proper spelling of it to put on the DS-260 nor she can write a notarized statement indicating the proper last name. We don't have any contact with my father to clarify this.

On the reciprocity by country (Uzbekistan) page it states: "If the child’s parents are not in a legal marriage, the father’s information shall be written based on the mother’s statement, certified by a notary public or a medical facility". I've managed to get the following documents: the document that my mother has never been legally married and the second one: the document that the information on my birth certificate was written based on my mother's statement. (In reality, when I was born my mother wanted to leave the field "father's surname" blank but it was not allowed and she was advised by the authorities to put her last name".

Additionally, my mother wrote a statement that she doesn't have any information regarding my father and when my Birth Certificate was issued the decision was made to put her last name in the "father's surname" field. However, the notary's office cannot sign such a document. (I have no idea why)

I'm confused. How can one prove documentarily that he doesn't know his father?

Do I put "I don't know" in the father's surname field on the DS-260 if I don't know the proper spelling of it and I don't have a way to get the proper name due to no contact? At the same time, I am not able to get a statement indicating the name is wrong since we have no information supporting his identity to put on the same statement for the notary.

Do you think the two documents I've managed to get will be of any use to support my case?

Hi guys,

It's me again with the "father" situation on my birth certificate.

I need advice from you so let me explain what happened.
In my previous post, I mentioned that on my birth certificate my father's real surname is wrong.
I spoke to my mother regarding the real surname and unfortunately, she doesn't know the proper spelling of it to put on the DS-260 nor she can write a notarized statement indicating the proper last name. We don't have any contact with my father to clarify this.

On the reciprocity by country (Uzbekistan) page it states: "If the child’s parents are not in a legal marriage, the father’s information shall be written based on the mother’s statement, certified by a notary public or a medical facility". I've managed to get the following documents: the document that my mother has never been legally married and the second one: the document that the information on my birth certificate was written based on my mother's statement. (In reality, when I was born my mother wanted to leave the field "father's surname" blank but it was not allowed and she was advised by the authorities to put her last name".

Additionally, my mother wrote a statement that she doesn't have any information regarding my father and when my Birth Certificate was issued the decision was made to put her last name in the "father's surname" field. However, the notary's office cannot sign such a document. (I have no idea why)

I'm confused. How can one prove documentarily that he doesn't know his father?

Do I put "I don't know" in the father's surname field on the DS-260 if I don't know the proper spelling of it and I don't have a way to get the proper name due to no contact? At the same time, I am not able to get a statement indicating the name is wrong since we have no information supporting his identity to put on the same statement for the notary.

Do you think the two documents I've managed to get will be of any use to support my case?
I think : go with what you have, explain to the CO at interview what the issues are, and if they think it necessary they can update your DS260 during the interview. Not knowing the exact name/validity of what is on the birth certificate etc is only going to be a problem should you want to one day sponsor your father for a green card, and from what you’ve explained that’s clearly not going to happen.

I think : go with what you have, explain to the CO at interview what the issues are, and if they think it necessary they can update your DS260 during the interview. Not knowing the exact name/validity of what is on the birth certificate etc is only going to be a problem should you want to one day sponsor your father for a green card, and from what you’ve explained that’s clearly not going to happen.

Hi guy,
I'm a PhD student and will have a university TA job from July, for this kind of postion do i need to write on DS260 as job? Will it add any value to select for interview or only add more paper work for later process? EU26XXX.

Another question is about non-criminal record, if i lived in a country for more than 6 month but within 9month, do i have to provide it?

Thank you in advance~

Hello I made I two mistake when filling DS260
I used the given name in the place of the surname and verse versa (I flipped them (reverse them)) in my mother's information, and the second one I miss a space in the surname of my father in his information
must I reopen the DS ? or it's okay if u make such error in the parent's information
NB : all the other information in DS is accurate and correct

Another question is about non-criminal record, if i lived in a country for more than 6 month but within 9month, do i have to provide it?

Thank you in advance~
Depends which country it is - if of nationality or current residence, yes. Please make sure you properly read the instructions for civil documents - this is clearly addressed in the decision table for police certificates.

Hello I made I two mistake when filling DS260
I used the given name in the place of the surname and verse versa (I flipped them (reverse them)) in my mother's information, and the second one I miss a space in the surname of my father in his information
must I reopen the DS ? or it's okay if u make such error in the parent's information
NB : all the other information in DS is accurate and correct
does someone have any idea ?

In addition to the spot on response from Susie, yes you can proceed with your schooling plans, there’s no reason to stall it or put it on hold.
Thanks mom and Susie!

If you don't mind could I ask another question?

I just emailed my high school regarding proof of high school education and they said they don't keep records after 7 years, so basically I have no way to prove high school education.

Fortunately, I do have a Bachelor's degree. Do you think I should get a degree equivalency (to the U.S. ) from one of those companies like WES or Trusteforte? I know they do sometimes require it regarding other visa categories. Would it be helpful to have this seeing as though I can't get proof of high school certificate.

Thanks so much!

Thanks mom and Susie!

I just emailed my high school regarding proof of high school education and they said they don't keep records after 7 years, so basically I have no way to prove high school education.

Fortunately, I do have a Bachelor's degree. Do you think I should get a degree equivalency (to the U.S. ) from one of those companies like WES or Trusteforte? I know they do sometimes require it regarding other visa categories. Would it be helpful to have this seeing as though I can't get proof of high school certificate.

Thanks so much!
I don’t see a need for a degree equivalence report for a CP interview. The truth is a bachelors degree equivalence report cannot demonstrate a successful completion of high school completion anyway.

Thanks mom and Susie!

Thanks so much!
Isn’t there a district/provincial/state/national some other education department who keeps high school records where you’re from?

Hello all,

I just filled the DS-260 form and I’ve submitted it immediately. However, I read on a website that I can only submit it during the fiscal year which doesnt start until October! Does this mean that my application does not count? What can I do now? Its so depressing

Hello all,

I just filled the DS-260 form and I’ve submitted it immediately. However, I read on a website that I can only submit it during the fiscal year which doesnt start until October! Does this mean that my application does not count? What can I do now? Its so depressing
No you're fine, if you're DV2023 selectee, then you're encouraged to submit your DS260 immediately

Hello all,

Either the website is inaccurate or you’re confusing it with an adjustment of status packet. Perfectly fine to submit DS260 as soon as you want, once you have been notified of selection.