• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2022 OC Selectees

I just emailed Sydney for transfer from Suva back to Sydney. Will see what happens, what email did U use the support one or Sydney IV???

One thing I want to clarify about the risk. The transfer process (being between two embassies, and NOT involving KCC) includes transfer of the visa numbers allocated to the case (at least within the allocation month). Now that could get screwed up because of quotas, but I am hoping there is a "soft landing" for that. So the risks are at least partially with the process of transfer itself (sometimes gets screwed up, but unlikely with Syd/Suva) but also that the Syd system (including physicians) gets somehow clogged up, something happens with Covid and so on. Syd have done sweet FA for months. Do we think they will just restart work without a bump or two?

Yes it was the Save DV site that I considered,. Then I considered these numbers of DVs issued for QC for all normal years since DV began:

Year DVs issued
-------------------------------
2018 - 824
2017 - 766
2016 - 532
2015 - 844
2014 - 761
2013 - 838
2012 - 562
2011 - 578
2010 - 639
2009 - 605
2008 - 710
2007 - 541
2006 - 831
2005 - 769
2004 - 692
2003 - 675
2002 - 625
2001 - 801
2000 - 787
1999 - 797
1998 - 704
1997 - 712
1996 - 707
1995 - 800

I guess the question is what is the formula used to determine the quota of DVs for OC each year?

The average on the above figures is 653 DVs / year for OC

Also, refusals include AP. My case was refused because it was placed into AP, see my refusal letter attached. It appeared to me KCC has not done any vetting at all, Epworth Clinic is vetting, at Suva's request, any histories of violence, alcohol or drug issues (especially DUI) and mental illness, the doctor told me Suva is NOW specifically asking Epworth to ask these questions. The CO also asked the same, despite having my AFP police certificate in front of them.

I 100% agree with you, its way too risky to transfer from Suva back to SYD, if you have a 2NL for a Suva interview, a visa number has been reserved for you, whether that visa number is transferred back to SYD is something I personally would never risk, this is a once in a life time opportunity, the cost and logistics of as little as a 3 day stay in Suva is a drop in the ocean compared to getting a GC other than through the DV.

-----------------------
2022OC5XX
1NL received 9 May 2021
DS 260 submitted 2 November 2021
No documents requested or submitted
Ready to be scheduled for interview 24 December 2021
Current as of 1 January 2022
2NL received 19 April 2022
Hey @090521@0411 I have a low range DUI from over a decade, are you saying that the Epworth clinic might not even allow me to go for the interview because of this. I have my medical booked in a few days before the interview though my DUI charge is the main thing that concerns me, though alot of people have told me that It should be ok since it was so long ago and that it was low range and I have the court documents about this and there was no fine/suspension/loss of points.

Regarding people considering going transferring back to Sydney from Suva, I might stick with Suva now that I have the interview date and I have a CN in the 2xxx range so not sure Sydney would be able to get back to me in time.

I'm sure everyone that has already planned to do it in Suva is aware though i'd mention in case there were some that weren't aware, whilst you don't have to prove a negative PCR when you arrive in Suva, you just need to be vaccinated and you need to have travel insurance and have an appointment booked at a registered place that does RA tests (if you go on the smart traveller website there is a link), apparently many resorts do this, though there are many pharmacies and health clinics that do it too, though unfortunately i don't think Epworth does it.

Just a point about people wanting to move back from Suva to Syd. Just be careful. It would not surprise me to get one more nasty shock in DV2022.

Despite what Miles Morgan has said, there is a quota, and that quota applies to the issuance process, not just the selection. The quota for OC is about 850 visas. There is some ability to move unused visas from one region to the other regions, but that process is done in the same percentages that cause the quota in the first place. So - hypothetically, if, optimistically, 5000 unused visas were redistributed (from AF region most likely) that would only increase OC by 85 ish visas.

Now, as of today, KCC scheduled 1132 people. About 150 are on AP and 150 have been refused. All the refusals, and some of the AP cases will have been "recycled", meaning the allocated visas returned to the pool (we can't know exactly the numbers). There will also be some "no shows", but again, cannot know that number with any precision.

But my point is we are already exceeding quota, and relying on redistribution. That could lead to some wacky behavior, which could stop additional scheduling, or even cause cancellation of existing appointments. I think that latter scenario is unlikely, but it has happened before (to Iranian cases).

We also need to be aware that the physicians in Aus have finite availability. Medical appointments could become the new toilet paper.

My point is that you are not out of the woods yet, and when you switch you create a little risk.

Now having said that warning...

The transfer process (after 2NL) is this (assuming you have a Suva appointment and want to transfer to Syd).,

Contact Syd and ask if they would accept the transfer. If they say yes, Contact Suva and request the transfer. KCC are not involved in the transfer at all. They should handle the switch, but of course it will be up to Syd what interview date to give. There is a special CEAC status of "transfer", so your case would go READY > TRANSFER > READY.
Thank you for this detail.

I see that in many prior years around 2000 visas were allocated to OC. How does that fit with the 850 number, and the fact that 850 is already exceeded per save diversity visas? Is it because of the family members of the 850 successful selectees are not counted in the 850?

Thank you for this detail.

I see that in many prior years around 2000 visas were allocated to OC. How does that fit with the 850 number, and the fact that 850 is already exceeded per save diversity visas? Is it because of the family members of the 850 successful selectees are not counted in the 850?

The 2000 allocated is selectees, not issuances. They expect many of the 2000 to not proceed, be refused and so on.

The derivatives are counted toward the quota. I explained my rationale for why we don't take the number issued from the number scheduled.

Hey @090521@0411 I have a low range DUI from over a decade, are you saying that the Epworth clinic might not even allow me to go for the interview because of this. I have my medical booked in a few days before the interview though my DUI charge is the main thing that concerns me, though alot of people have told me that It should be ok since it was so long ago and that it was low range and I have the court documents about this and there was no fine/suspension/loss of points.

Regarding people considering going transferring back to Sydney from Suva, I might stick with Suva now that I have the interview date and I have a CN in the 2xxx range so not sure Sydney would be able to get back to me in time.

I'm sure everyone that has already planned to do it in Suva is aware though i'd mention in case there were some that weren't aware, whilst you don't have to prove a negative PCR when you arrive in Suva, you just need to be vaccinated and you need to have travel insurance and have an appointment booked at a registered place that does RA tests (if you go on the smart traveller website there is a link), apparently many resorts do this, though there are many pharmacies and health clinics that do it too, though unfortunately i don't think Epworth does it.
Hi Shezza, when I was young and dumb 18 years ago I had high range DUI (one and only). From my readings it does not fit under "mortal turpitude". For a low range I suspect you would be OK if it was a long time ago. I hope that my saving grace is it was 18 years ago. @Britsimon do you have any experience on this?

Hello I received email with log in details for the US travel documents customer portal. What is this for? doesn't appear to have DV related information I can see K visas. Nothing about DV on there. Should I ignore this email.

Hi Shezza, when I was young and dumb 18 years ago I had high range DUI (one and only). From my readings it does not fit under "mortal turpitude". For a low range I suspect you would be OK if it was a long time ago. I hope that my saving grace is it was 18 years ago. @Britsimon do you have any experience on this?

A DUI "can" become a CIMT, normally if there is some additional aggravating factor (causing death while DUI for example). However, for a "regular" DUI, and especially one from many years ago, the CO will often choose to disregard the DUI.

I just emailed Sydney for transfer from Suva back to Sydney. Will see what happens, what email did U use the support one or Sydney IV???
I used support-australia@ustraveldocs.com as I believe that was indicated on the Consulate website as the preferred contact email, but I did later come across the IV one, so may re-forward my questions to that address too in the hopes of getting an actual answer.

However, based on the discussions here I'm leaning towards staying with Suva unless there's some very immediate and obvious movement from Sydney (or unless they reply with some non-generic guidance) as I am a bit pessimistic about Sydney interviews after the last 7ish months of futile waiting. I'll be crossing my fingers for you though and I very much hope they squeeze you in!

In exactly the same situation. I have booked with Epworth but am looking at booking the medical with Dr Arnold in Lautoka. Just need to confirm that I can get the results in time as I know Epworth have an expedited service but not sure about the others. Going to be a lot easier as we are travelling with young children and don't want to be doing too much back and forth between Nadi and Suva
By the way, did you find out if Lautoka have an expedited option? Thanks for sharing!

By the way, did you find out if Lautoka have an expedited option? Thanks for sharing!
Yes, Dr Arnold in Lautoka has been super helpful with everything and has assured us that the results will be with the consulate by our interview date (although we have about 2.5 working days between). I didn't want to risk any delays so have made sure I leave plenty of time for everything. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Hi All,
I am a bit behind on the forum here and am trying to catch up. My status is still "AT NVC" as a 2022 winner (OC8XX) - I am not willing to transfer to Fiji, is Sydney slowly doing interviews? What can I do to hurry up my case, I am aware we are running out of time. Has anybody reached out to KCC and seen movement happen once contacting them? I'm at stand still and not sure what to do to get this moving for my case. Does anybody have advice?

2022OC8XX
DS 260 submitted JUNE 2021
Ready to be scheduled for interview 24th December 2021
Current as of February 2022

@Shezza85

No I'm not saying Epworth Clinic will prevent you from attending your DV interview, for any reason, what I am saying is based on my own personal experience of being examined at Epworth 2 weeks ago (as opposed to some hearsay rumour) Epworth WILL take your medical history from you, and Epworth asked me if I had a history of a number of things that Suva had asked Epworth to ask, and one of those things was any DUI history. I don't drink or use drugs and when i told the doctor this the doctor told me I would not have to supply a blood urine sample.

To be brutally honest, upon reading your previous post, my concern is you had a DUI conviction and did not declare it on your original DS 260. You then say you unlocked your DS 260 to include your DUI conviction only when you received your AFP police certificate. Look at some of those Border Security shows where the passenger ticks nothing to declare, then when customs search their luggage and find declarable items, the passenger tries to change their declaration. It never works out good for the passenger. I was the opposite, I got my AFP police certificate before I submitted my DS 260, I had a 20 yo customs conviction (got the wrong import permit for a regulated import) that did NOT appear on my AFP police certificate (apparently according to the police because civil customs complaints are not criminal complaints they won't appear on police certificates), yet i declared the customs conviction on my DS 260. The CO thanked me for my honesty, then promptly put my case on a 60 day AP.

Im not a lawyer, but if you want to PM me I will give you my thoughts on reasonable excuses that may excuse a failure to disclose a DUI conviction on your DS 260, but do remember when you submit a DS 260 you are certifying it is true and correct.

I do strongly suggest anyone who has ANY conviction/s for ANYTHING read the 9FAM notes on inadmissibility into the US due to criminal matters. Google 9FAM Criminal. 9FAM is what the CO will rely upon. Importantly, know the statute you were convicted under and have a copy of it at the interview, the statute can make all the difference between something that makes you inadmissible and something that does not.

The age of the conviction/s does not necessarily make the conviction/s irrelivent. There are some waivers available, the problem is, as I read 9FAM, the waiver cannot be issued by the consulate, and must be issued, upon application by the DV Applicant, by the US DHS, upon payment of an application fee (about 1k USD) and the application can take a year to decide, making it fatal for DV applicants.

On the other hand, if it's only one offence, and the maximum sentence under the statute is under one year, and/or you were under 18 at the time of the offence, the "sentencing exception rule" can be applied by the CO, and discretion can be used by the CO.

Also, just to expand on what Shezza85 said, you MUST have the following printouts at check-in in Australia before you fly out to Fiji, if you don't, you won't be allowed on the plane:

Evidence of fully COVID19 vaccination;

Evidence of a pre-booked supervised COVID19 RAT test with an approved Fijian provider WITHIN 72 HOURS OF ARRIVAL IN FIJI;

EVidence of travel insurance with COVID19 cover.

Have print outs, don't rely on screen shots on your mobile phone, if your phone dies at check in your stuffed. I saw people refused boarding in Brisbane when I flew out because they didn't have the
above evidence, and I saw people refused check-in at Nadi for the return flight back to Australia because they didn't have the required documents for entry into Australia. Those documents are:

Australian Government certificate of COVID19 vaccination (no idea how this differs from above;

Australian Government Digital Passenger Declaration (you need to set up an account for this)

A tip, 72 hours is NOT 3 days, within 72 hours of landing in Fiji is you must have your supervised RAT test within 72 hours to the hour, not by the end of the third day, if you test positive you WILL go into 7 day isolation, and if your interview is within that 7 days, YOU WILL MISS IT. therefore, to avoid that risk, have your arrival in Fiji under 72 hours from your interview, or, religiously wear your mask. use hand sanitizer and avoid public places until you pass your RAT test. I had a taxi driver from Suva airport to my accommodation (about 30 mins drive) who coughed non stop and grabbed my suitcase from the boot before I could stop him. I literally saturated my suitcase handle with sanitizer, and to say I was nervous was an understatement. That was a Sunday, once I arrived at my hotel i went nowhere, attended Epworth first thing Monday morning, and then straight from Epworth To my supervised RAT test. RAT test was negative.

-----------------------
2022OC5XX
1NL received 9 May 2021

Hi All,
I am a bit behind on the forum here and am trying to catch up. My status is still "AT NVC" as a 2022 winner (OC8XX) - I am not willing to transfer to Fiji, is Sydney slowly doing interviews? What can I do to hurry up my case, I am aware we are running out of time. Has anybody reached out to KCC and seen movement happen once contacting them? I'm at stand still and not sure what to do to get this moving for my case. Does anybody have advice?

2022OC8XX
DS 260 submitted JUNE 2021
Ready to be scheduled for interview 24th December 2021
Current as of February 2022
Hi Jas, there is nothing you can do to speed up your case. You can only sit back and hope Sydney schedules you. As for the "Is Sydney slowly doing interviews", up until this month (less than a week ago), Sydney had scheduled 0 cases. They recently sent out about 45 2NL's (interviews) for between now and July, and that is the only information we have. So we dont know if they will send them out slowly, or in big batches once a month, or anymore at all. Completely in the dark and Sydney has not communicated anything about their plans. Their new office is not open and the people they have scheduled seem to be scheduled at their old "closed" office.

So you're pretty much caught up now... just have to pray that they schedule more people and get to everyone in time.

@Shezza85

No I'm not saying Epworth Clinic will prevent you from attending your DV interview, for any reason, what I am saying is based on my own personal experience of being examined at Epworth 2 weeks ago (as opposed to some hearsay rumour) Epworth WILL take your medical history from you, and Epworth asked me if I had a history of a number of things that Suva had asked Epworth to ask, and one of those things was any DUI history. I don't drink or use drugs and when i told the doctor this the doctor told me I would not have to supply a blood urine sample.

To be brutally honest, upon reading your previous post, my concern is you had a DUI conviction and did not declare it on your original DS 260. You then say you unlocked your DS 260 to include your DUI conviction only when you received your AFP police certificate. Look at some of those Border Security shows where the passenger ticks nothing to declare, then when customs search their luggage and find declarable items, the passenger tries to change their declaration. It never works out good for the passenger. I was the opposite, I got my AFP police certificate before I submitted my DS 260, I had a 20 yo customs conviction (got the wrong import permit for a regulated import) that did NOT appear on my AFP police certificate (apparently according to the police because civil customs complaints are not criminal complaints they won't appear on police certificates), yet i declared the customs conviction on my DS 260. The CO thanked me for my honesty, then promptly put my case on a 60 day AP.

Im not a lawyer, but if you want to PM me I will give you my thoughts on reasonable excuses that may excuse a failure to disclose a DUI conviction on your DS 260, but do remember when you submit a DS 260 you are certifying it is true and correct.

I do strongly suggest anyone who has ANY conviction/s for ANYTHING read the 9FAM notes on inadmissibility into the US due to criminal matters. Google 9FAM Criminal. 9FAM is what the CO will rely upon. Importantly, know the statute you were convicted under and have a copy of it at the interview, the statute can make all the difference between something that makes you inadmissible and something that does not.

The age of the conviction/s does not necessarily make the conviction/s irrelivent. There are some waivers available, the problem is, as I read 9FAM, the waiver cannot be issued by the consulate, and must be issued, upon application by the DV Applicant, by the US DHS, upon payment of an application fee (about 1k USD) and the application can take a year to decide, making it fatal for DV applicants.

On the other hand, if it's only one offence, and the maximum sentence under the statute is under one year, and/or you were under 18 at the time of the offence, the "sentencing exception rule" can be applied by the CO, and discretion can be used by the CO.

Also, just to expand on what Shezza85 said, you MUST have the following printouts at check-in in Australia before you fly out to Fiji, if you don't, you won't be allowed on the plane:

Evidence of a pre-booked supervised COVID19 RAT test with an approved Fijian provider WITHIN 72 HOURS OF ARRIVAL IN FIJI;

Have print outs, don't rely on screen shots on your mobile phone, if your phone dies at check in your stuffed. I saw people refused boarding in Brisbane when I flew out because they didn't have the
above evidence, and I saw people refused check-in at Nadi for the return flight back to Australia because they didn't have the required documents for entry into Australia. Those documents are:

Australian Government certificate of COVID19 vaccination (no idea how this differs from above;

Australian Government Digital Passenger Declaration (you need to set up an account for this)

A tip, 72 hours is NOT 3 days, within 72 hours of landing in Fiji is you must have your supervised RAT test within 72 hours to the hour, not by the end of the third day, if you test positive you WILL go into 7 day isolation, and if your interview is within that 7 days, YOU WILL MISS IT. therefore, to avoid that risk, have your arrival in Fiji under 72 hours from your interview, or, religiously wear your mask. use hand sanitizer and avoid public places until you pass your RAT test. I had a taxi driver from Suva airport to my accommodation (about 30 mins drive) who coughed non stop and grabbed my suitcase from the boot before I could stop him. I literally saturated my suitcase handle with sanitizer, and to say I was nervous was an understatement. That was a Sunday, once I arrived at my hotel i went nowhere, attended Epworth first thing Monday morning, and then straight from Epworth To my supervised RAT test. RAT test was negative.

-----------------------
2022OC5XX
1NL received 9 May 2021
@090521@0411 and @Britsimon thanks for your input on this. I personally think it should be ok because it was a relatively minor offence and was over a decade ago and the fact that the courts did not impose any suspension/fine/loss of points should point and i did resubmit my DS 260 to state this, i think should be ok. As BS said if you didn't kill or injure anyone should be ok. I've always expected the worse from the get go having such a hign CN so if I did get refused just based on this it'd be disappointing but 'so be it' though I think it should be ok

@Shezza85

-----------------------
2022OC5XX
1NL received 9 May 2021
Can u pls share what medical questions they asked?

I don't drink or use drugs and when i told the doctor this the doctor told me I would not have to supply a blood urine sample.
Seems kind of wild that they just take someone's word for it. Haven't heard of anyone having to supply that anyway, but don't think anyone would openly admit to being a drug user or alcoholic during their medical.

Reactions: TWI
Can u pls share what medical questions they asked?
My medical lasted no more than thirty (30) minutes.

First I was taken into a room and my height and weight was taken.

Then taken to another room where a female doctor asked me if I had any medical conditions. was i on any medication and if I drank or smoked.

I disclosed operations i had had, and that I was on medication for a minor heart attack 7 years ago (no surgery or stents), it's 4 different tablets daily and doctor said that's minor compared to the average Fijian medication list. I had my medication scripts with me and the doctor wrote the medications on the report for Suva. It was at this point the doctor said Suva was requesting Epworth ask if there were any histories of violence, alcohol or drug abuse (including DUI) mental health and criminal histories.

Only had to remove my shirt while I lay on the gurny and the doctor pressed down on my shoulders.

After that you do a basic visual acuity eye sight test and then you go upstairs for your chest XRay.

As I said above, Ive never used drugs and haven't drank since 2015 (personal choice after the heart attack) and the doctor told me there was no need for a blood and urine sample for me. Also disclosed i once was a smoker, but gave up in 1998 (when they hit $10 a packet).

If you search for YouTube channel Anita Katee there is some videos of her 2018 DV journey in Sydney where she says there were tonnes of paperwork and even films herself at her medical, compete with urine sample container, so it appears Australian DV medicals are far more thorough than Epworth, and from what I've read, far more expensive. She appears to be in her early 20's.

I also noticed when. I collected my medical report from Epworth my original photo from my DV entry in 2020 was scanned into the upper corner of the front page. I never gave Epworth that photo, so obviously Suva is in contact with Epworth before your medical. Upon arrival at Epworth the first thing you are asked for is your passport.

-----------------------
2022OC5XX
1NL received 9 May 2021

Seems kind of wild that they just take someone's word for it. Haven't heard of anyone having to supply that anyway, but don't think anyone would openly admit to being a drug user or alcoholic during their medical.
I attended my medical fully expecting a blood and urine test, to the point a month before my medical I spent about $100 on multi vitamin tablets and on the day of my medical I had drank litres of water.

I assumed a blood and urine test would detect drug use and recent alcohol use. I declared I didn't drink or use drugs BEFORE Epworth told me there would be no blood or urine test.

After my medical I had the same opinion you have, plus I was busting for a P*ss with no idea where the nearest toilet was....

-----------------------
2022OC5XX
1NL received 9 May 2021

Hi Jas, there is nothing you can do to speed up your case. You can only sit back and hope Sydney schedules you. As for the "Is Sydney slowly doing interviews", up until this month (less than a week ago), Sydney had scheduled 0 cases. They recently sent out about 45 2NL's (interviews) for between now and July, and that is the only information we have. So we dont know if they will send them out slowly, or in big batches once a month, or anymore at all. Completely in the dark and Sydney has not communicated anything about their plans. Their new office is not open and the people they have scheduled seem to be scheduled at their old "closed" office.

So you're pretty much caught up now... just have to pray that they schedule more people and get to everyone in time.
Obviously it's up to you to prepare for your interview as you see fit, my belief is always you can never over prepare.

I really don't want to comment more on your case publically, however your now saying you had to appear on court? Even if that was for a guilty plea if I were the CO I'd question why you didn't believe your DUI needed to be declared if it involved a court appearance.

Some Australian states have made DUI a ticketable offence, meaning you may be excused for not declaring it if your were ticketed and thought it was a traffic matter. A court appearance however removes that excuse.

Also, for an offence to be considered a crime that involves moral turpitude (CIMT) there needs to be an element of "evil intent" such as deliberate dishonesty.

In my opinion a simple DUI is not a CIMT. However, if for example the court record shows you were asked by police if you had been drinking and you said no, then a BAC test proved you had been drinking, that could be interpreted as deliberate dishonesty, therefore evil intent and therefore a CIMT. It's not as black and white as saying "as long as you didn't injury/kill anyone". This is where your original DS 260 may come into play.

As any competent criminal lawyer will tell you, "never talk to the police" if your pulled over for RBT say nothing, do the BAC test and if you fail you fail, it's simple DUI, but if you talk to the police, lie and say you have not been drinking, and it's proven you have, that lie can come back to bite you if it's on the court file, and if for what ever reason, such as your original DS 260, the CO puts you on AP, you will be on AP so the CO can obtain that court file.

If your in Qld and your DUI was over twelve (12) years ago, Qld magistrates court records are deleted after 12 years (not many people know that).

With my conviction, it's a customs offence, and 9FAM clearly states smuggling offences by themselves are NOT CIMT. however, if there was a false declaration to customs, then the deliberate dishonesty comes into play and the non CIMT smuggling offence becomes a CIMT. Despite having a certified copy of my sentencing transcript where the magistrate said there was no false declaration by me, that I had obtained the import permit I was told to get by customs, and that was the wrong permit, and therefore my import was unlawful, the CO placed me on a 60 AP. I too thought I would be "ok".

Also, as per 9FAM, it's not only the sentence you received that is considered, it is also the maximum sentence you "could" have received. Under US law a felony conviction is a conviction "in any court" where the court "could" have sentenced you to a term of imprisonment of more than one (1) year. Whether "any court" includes a court outside of the US I do not know.

Waivers may be available for a CIMT if the offence was committed more than fifteen (15) years ago, however as I said above, you will time out applying for a waiver, and if your interview is after July, you could time out on a 60 day AP.

Fun fact, the magistrate who sentenced me for my customs offence, and had a history of throwing the book at and recording convictions against DUI offenders was himself charged with a DUI offence, ofcourse though when he plead guilty he received "no conviction recorded".

-----------------------
2022OC5XX
1NL received 9 May 2021