• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2022 OC Selectees

In a bit of a pickle - held out as long as I thought I reasonably could but finally pulled the trigger on transferring my case to Suva from Sydney on 23 May and found out this week that I've been scheduled for a mid-July interview date (impressively fast work on their part!)

Happy to be finally proceeding to the next step, but am now second-guessing whether it's worth somehow trying to stay with Sydney (similar to you @Melb2021)

Understand the points made about 'a bird in hand, go with the sure thing', but I'm lucky to have a very low CN (OC1XX) and it would be massively convenient to be able to do that interview locally, not to mention more economical.

I have tried reaching out to the Sydney Consulate via email but have only received their generic reply of 'We're moving locations and have suspended all services. We'll resume as soon as possible. Have a nice day!'. Thinking of trying to push my Suva interview to August so I can at least see if Sydney starts moving, and if not at least I'm not leaving it too late to still get interviewed in Suva. (Side benefit of avoiding the July school holidays when I travel too).

Last edited:
How about work experience instead? P.S. did you get MLC Centre for your interview (I did)? I thought the place was closed...
Yep, I got MLC.

I'm not sure what qualifies as relevant work experience. I've been working in hospitality/events for the last 11 years. The last 3.5 have been for council.

This morning, I got a 2NL for Sydney June 08....? MLC centre too?? how is anyone expected to even get the medical sorted in time for that.
Same here. There is no way I can get the medical done before my June interview as the physician is booked out with visa medical appointments until July.

Perhaps they can provisionally approve the visa pending a normal medical? Either that or they are setting people up to legally fail to avoid law suites....(that's just my inner cynical mind speaking tho)
It’s not uncommon. For any missing documents, assuming the case is otherwise approvable, you go on AP until they receive the documents.
Apologies if this has been answered recently but is there a list of official doctors we can obtain the medical from?
The 2NL should have it, as well as the list of consulates in the pages linked from your 1NL.
Yep, I got MLC.

I'm not sure what qualifies as relevant work experience. I've been working in hospitality/events for the last 11 years. The last 3.5 have been for council.
The entry instructions and instructions for selectees both contain detailed instructions on how to check if your work experience qualifies for DV. You’d need to make sure it’s all properly documented to show it meets the requirements.

Perhaps they can provisionally approve the visa pending a normal medical? Either that or they are setting people up to legally fail to avoid law suites....(that's just my inner cynical mind speaking tho)
I can't speak for SYD, but when I got my 2NL on 19 April for a Suva interview on 2 May, I contacted Suva to see if I could do my medical after my interview and Suva insisted my medical MUST be done in Fiji BEFORE my interview.

Did my medical and interview In Suva last week.

Also, some of the DV2023 1NLs had wrong dates on them and that document submission was required, when there has been no official notification if the pilot program for document submission has been extended.

How hard would it be for KCC to paste into a 2NL an obsolete address for SYD?

I'd be double checking with SYD if they are still at MLC if I received a 2NL for a SYD interview at MLC, and failing that, checking with MLC Centre management if DOS are still tennants at MLC.

During my interview at Suva last week the CO said he would have to check with SYD regarding my education documents, so that suggests SYD as of last week were operating in some capacity for DV matters

------------------------
2022OC5XX
1NL received 9 May 2021
DS 260 submitted 2 November 2021
No documents requested or submitted
Ready to be scheduled for interview 24 December 2021
Current as of 1 January 2022
2NL received 19 April 2022

Bula all. Fiji selectee here. I am just wondering if any of you who interviewed in May in Suva with case number above 1,200 have received your visas? Vinaka.

Hi Everyone, I also received my notification yesterday for an interview in TWO WEEKS!!! Have spoken to both Vic authorised medical providers and emailed Sydney Consulate who advised me to attend anyway and proceed with the medical when I can. I'm still waiting to hear back from the medical provider with my appointment date but hoping its not too far off their next available appointment in a month's time.

The consulate didn't however provide me a direct response to my question re my police check. I requested one in October 2021 as my case number was current in Dec 2021 (prior to KCC no longer requiring documents) so I'm unclear whether that's still valid or not considering they're wanting to see documents provided to KCC. I noticed an earlier post about Police Checks not expiring (pending local preference) but that doesn't seem logical to me - in other contexts they've been valid for 12 months only.

Very excited but also nervous / concerned about the assorted abnormal hurdles to jump!! Fingers crossed they're kind and we can all get through this relatively smoothly!!!

The consulate didn't however provide me a direct response to my question re my police check. I requested one in October 2021 as my case number was current in Dec 2021 (prior to KCC no longer requiring documents) so I'm unclear whether that's still valid or not considering they're wanting to see documents provided to KCC. I noticed an earlier post about Police Checks not expiring (pending local preference) but that doesn't seem logical to me - in other contexts they've been valid for 12 months only.
not sure what other contexts you mean, but the only context that matters here is what the US Dept of State considers valid, from the instructions for Dv selectees linked from the 1NLs:

Important: Police certificates expire after two years, unless the certificate was issued from your country of previous residence and you have not returned there since the police certificate was issued. If at the time of your interview the following three items are all true, you must bring a new police certificate to your visa interview:
  • You are more than 16 years old;
  • The police certificate was obtained more than two years ago; and
  • You still live in the country that issued the certificate.

In a bit of a pickle - held out as long as I thought I reasonably could but finally pulled the trigger on transferring my case to Suva from Sydney on 23 May and found out this week that I've been scheduled for a mid-July interview date (impressively fast work on their part!)

Happy to be finally proceeding to the next step, but am now second-guessing whether it's worth somehow trying to stay with Sydney (similar to you @Melb2021)

Understand the points made about 'a bird in hand, go with the sure thing', but I'm lucky to have a very low CN (OC1XX) and it would be massively convenient to be able to do that interview locally, not to mention more economical.

I have tried reaching out to the Sydney Consulate via email but have only received their generic reply of 'We're moving locations and have suspended all services. We'll resume as soon as possible. Have a nice day!'. Thinking of trying to push my Suva interview to August so I can at least see if Sydney starts moving, and if not at least I'm not leaving it too late to still get interviewed in Suva. (Side benefit of avoiding the July school holidays when I travel too).
I had the same thought, seeing as how Syd interviews are scheduled even before all of the July Suva ones. Im sticking with Suva though, already have everything booked so may be cancellation fees + at this point I just want it over with even though its a massive inconvenience. All you can really do is make your own decision on the info we have. Sydney doesn't have any data to really base anything off right now, for all we know they are doing this as a trial batch, then may focus on other IV again, or take 1-2 months to schedule you. No one knows, of course there's also a chance we see another batch of interviews go out 2-4 weeks now. No one knows :(

So Im sticking with Suva purely for that reason, if I jump shipped back to Sydney now, you might not get an interview til Aug/Sept which is cutting it close. But then again you could also get a June or early July interview. Im sure you could transfer back (assuming they reply with something that isn't automated eventually), but they wouldn't give an interview the instant you do, you'd just have to wait for the next group. So just have to make an educated gamble on whether its worth it or not, local interview but not having it guaranteed, or inconvenient Suva trip with it guaranteed. Not having something guaranteed is too stressful for me at this point so sticking it!

Just a point about people wanting to move back from Suva to Syd. Just be careful. It would not surprise me to get one more nasty shock in DV2022.

Despite what Miles Morgan has said, there is a quota, and that quota applies to the issuance process, not just the selection. The quota for OC is about 850 visas. There is some ability to move unused visas from one region to the other regions, but that process is done in the same percentages that cause the quota in the first place. So - hypothetically, if, optimistically, 5000 unused visas were redistributed (from AF region most likely) that would only increase OC by 85 ish visas.

Now, as of today, KCC scheduled 1132 people. About 150 are on AP and 150 have been refused. All the refusals, and some of the AP cases will have been "recycled", meaning the allocated visas returned to the pool (we can't know exactly the numbers). There will also be some "no shows", but again, cannot know that number with any precision.

But my point is we are already exceeding quota, and relying on redistribution. That could lead to some wacky behavior, which could stop additional scheduling, or even cause cancellation of existing appointments. I think that latter scenario is unlikely, but it has happened before (to Iranian cases).

We also need to be aware that the physicians in Aus have finite availability. Medical appointments could become the new toilet paper.

My point is that you are not out of the woods yet, and when you switch you create a little risk.

Now having said that warning...

The transfer process (after 2NL) is this (assuming you have a Suva appointment and want to transfer to Syd).,

Contact Syd and ask if they would accept the transfer. If they say yes, Contact Suva and request the transfer. KCC are not involved in the transfer at all. They should handle the switch, but of course it will be up to Syd what interview date to give. There is a special CEAC status of "transfer", so your case would go READY > TRANSFER > READY.

Just a point about people wanting to move back from Suva to Syd. Just be careful. It would not surprise me to get one more nasty shock in DV2022.

Despite what Miles Morgan has said, there is a quota, and that quota applies to the issuance process, not just the selection. The quota for OC is about 850 visas. There is some ability to move unused visas from one region to the other regions, but that process is done in the same percentages that cause the quota in the first place. So - hypothetically, if, optimistically, 5000 unused visas were redistributed (from AF region most likely) that would only increase OC by 85 ish visas.

Now, as of today, KCC scheduled 1132 people. About 150 are on AP and 150 have been refused. All the refusals, and some of the AP cases will have been "recycled", meaning the allocated visas returned to the pool (we can't know exactly the numbers). There will also be some "no shows", but again, cannot know that number with any precision.

But my point is we are already exceeding quota, and relying on redistribution. That could lead to some wacky behavior, which could stop additional scheduling, or even cause cancellation of existing appointments. I think that latter scenario is unlikely, but it has happened before (to Iranian cases).

We also need to be aware that the physicians in Aus have finite availability. Medical appointments could become the new toilet paper.

My point is that you are not out of the woods yet, and when you switch you create a little risk.

The transfer process (after 2NL) is this (assuming you have a Suva appointment and want to transfer to Syd).,

Contact Syd and ask if they would accept the transfer. If they say yes, Contact Suva and request the transfer. KCC are not involved in the transfer at all. They should handle the switch, but of course it will be up to Syd what interview date to give. There is a special CEAC status of "transfer", so your case would go READY > TRANSFER > READY.
Thanks Simon, very helpful.
I’m going to stick with Suva.

Need to get some vitamin D after this Melbourne weather anyway.

Hopefully this doesn't accept OC at all, would be a bit of a mess if the quota came in to play. People that transferred to Suva would be pretty devastated if Sydney went and issued all these visas suddenly before they even got a chance to interview in Suva and then miss out. And vice versa, would be devastating to interview in Sydney then find out they've all been issued by the time you get your medical 1-2 months later (if those wait times are accurate). Would be a huge mess. Praying the quota doesn't effect OC and we can all get them issued!

I’ve never heard of a case of interviews being cancelled without one of the hard limits - 7% country limit or total DV quota - being reached. (Even these hard-limit cases have been rare.)

I still wouldn’t lose the bird in the hand if I had a Suva interview already scheduled.

Hopefully this doesn't accept OC at all, would be a bit of a mess if the quota came in to play. People that transferred to Suva would be pretty devastated if Sydney went and issued all these visas suddenly before they even got a chance to interview in Suva and then miss out. And vice versa, would be devastating to interview in Sydney then find out they've all been issued by the time you get your medical 1-2 months later (if those wait times are accurate). Would be a huge mess. Praying the quota doesn't effect OC and we can all get them issued!
Unfortunately, both the maths and the history of DV quotas for OC are against you. This is why I said months ago I suspect DVs for OC will be exhausted before 30 September, and I was chastised for it.

Do the research, do the maths, then consider OC is current, meaning a Fijian family of 10 with a CN above 2k NOW has just an equal chance of getting a 2NL as a single person case from AU.

When I had my medical at Epworth last week I had a talk with the female doctor who examined me, who confirmed Epworth is now being flooded with DV medical appointments from both Fiji and AU. That's what OC going current does.

I also asked the doctor, to confirm my own suspicion, what is the average size of a Fijian family?, Her response, large. Remember about the same amount of entries were selected from Fiji as there were from AU, about 1k, factor in holes, and the combined real CASES, not numbers, for both Fiji and AU is around 1k, then factor in Fiji families are larger, that means many more derivatives from Fiji, maybe not a problem in previous "normal" years, but this year OC has gone current.

Regardless of the 7% max per country, the data for the last 10 normal years shows under 1k DVs were issued for all of OC in any one year, don't shoot the messenger, those are facts, and any basic amount of research will confirm this. Like I said, do the maths, I may not (like anyone else) be able to predict now the exact number of DVs that will be issued in OC, but I guarantee you it won't be over 1k

Good to see you've opted for Suva, if you have a 2NL it means a visa number has been reserved for you.

-----------------------
2022OC5XX
1NL received 9 May 2021

Firstly, Simon and the other moderators and contributors, thank you for all the really helpful expert information provided on this forum and others.

I have slightly different angle on the quota / numbers for your consideration.

Based on the SaveDv website, there are 1132 people scheduled, with 199 refused and 34 on AP. If you take those already issued (282) + AP + those refused, you get 515 already interviewed. So of those interviewed, the refusal rate is quite high at 39% (199 div 515), presumably due to KCC no longer checking docs upfront and no shows?) etc.

If you apply that same refusal rate to those waiting for interviews (617), you get another 400 or so visas to be issued. So total visas issued would be around 700 Based on currently scheduled numbers.

Of course this assumes the refusal rate stays around the same which is unknowable per Simon’s note, but if it is a trend, it suggests a little bit more wriggle room before hitting the 850 quota + any redistributions. How KCC accounts for anticipated/potential refusals where they are scheduling is unclear (to me), or do they assume all scheduled interviews will be issued until proven otherwise?

In any case doesn’t impact Simon’s overall point which is that changing from Suva to Sydney creates risk.

Firstly, Simon and the other moderators and contributors, thank you for all the really helpful expert information provided on this forum and others.

Based on the SaveDv website, there are 1132 people scheduled, with 199 refused and 34 on AP. If you take those already issued (282) + AP + those refused, you get 515 already interviewed. So of those interviewed, the refusal rate is quite high at 39% (199 div 515), presumably due to KCC no longer checking docs upfront and no shows?) etc.

If you apply that same refusal rate to those waiting for interviews (617), you get another 400 or so visas to be issued. So total visas issued would be around 700 Based on currently scheduled numbers.

Of course this assumes the refusal rate stays around the same which is unknowable per Simon’s note, but if it is a trend, it suggests a little bit more wriggle room before hitting the 850 quota + any redistributions. How KCC accounts for anticipated/potential refusals where they are scheduling is unclear (to me), or do they assume all scheduled interviews will be issued until proven otherwise?

In any case doesn’t impact Simon’s overall point which is that changing from Suva to Sydney creates risk.
Yes it was the Save DV site that I considered,. Then I considered these numbers of DVs issued for QC for all normal years since DV began:

Year DVs issued
-------------------------------
2018 - 824
2017 - 766
2016 - 532
2015 - 844
2014 - 761
2013 - 838
2012 - 562
2011 - 578
2010 - 639
2009 - 605
2008 - 710
2007 - 541
2006 - 831
2005 - 769
2004 - 692
2003 - 675
2002 - 625
2001 - 801
2000 - 787
1999 - 797
1998 - 704
1997 - 712
1996 - 707
1995 - 800

I guess the question is what is the formula used to determine the quota of DVs for OC each year?

The average on the above figures is 653 DVs / year for OC

Also, refusals include AP. My case was refused because it was placed into AP, see my refusal letter attached. It appeared to me KCC has not done any vetting at all, Epworth Clinic is vetting, at Suva's request, any histories of violence, alcohol or drug issues (especially DUI) and mental illness, the doctor told me Suva is NOW specifically asking Epworth to ask these questions. The CO also asked the same, despite having my AFP police certificate in front of them.

I 100% agree with you, its way too risky to transfer from Suva back to SYD, if you have a 2NL for a Suva interview, a visa number has been reserved for you, whether that visa number is transferred back to SYD is something I personally would never risk, this is a once in a life time opportunity, the cost and logistics of as little as a 3 day stay in Suva is a drop in the ocean compared to getting a GC other than through the DV.

-----------------------
2022OC5XX
1NL received 9 May 2021

Hi Everyone, I also received my notification yesterday for an interview in TWO WEEKS!!! Have spoken to both Vic authorised medical providers and emailed Sydney Consulate who advised me to attend a with the medical when I can. I'm still waiting to hear back from the medical provider with my appointment date but hoping its not too far off their next available appointment in a month's time.

The consulate didn't however provide me a direct response to my question re my police check. I requested one in October 2021 as my case number was current in Dec 2021 (prior to KCC no longer requiring documents) so I'm unclear whether that's still valid or not considering they're wanting to see documents provided to KCC. I noticed an earlier post about Police Checks not expiring (pending local preference) but that doesn't seem logical to me - in other contexts they've been val

Very excited but also nervous / concerned about the assorted abnormal hurdles to jump!! Fingers crossed they're kind and we can all get through this relatively smoo

I just emailed Sydney for transfer from Suva back to Sydney. Will see what happens, what email did U use the support one or Sydney IV???

I don't think we will see a refusal rate of 39% by the end. Even if we change that to meaning the non issuance rate (which takes in no shows, as well as refusals and AP, I think that 39% would still be on the high side. However, only time will tell.

Yes it was the Save DV site that I considered,. Then I considered these numbers of DVs issued for QC for all normal years since DV began:

Year DVs issued
-------------------------------
2018 - 824
2017 - 766
2016 - 532
2015 - 844
2014 - 761
2013 - 838
2012 - 562
2011 - 578
2010 - 639
2009 - 605
2008 - 710
2007 - 541
2006 - 831
2005 - 769
2004 - 692
2003 - 675
2002 - 625
2001 - 801
2000 - 787
1999 - 797
1998 - 704
1997 - 712
1996 - 707
1995 - 800

I guess the question is what is the formula used to determine the quota of DVs for OC each year?

The average on the above figures is 653 DVs / year for OC

Also, refusals include AP. My case was refused because it was placed into AP, see my refusal letter attached. It appeared to me KCC has not done any vetting at all, Epworth Clinic is vetting, at Suva's request, any histories of violence, alcohol or drug issues (especially DUI) and mental illness, the doctor told me Suva is NOW specifically asking Epworth to ask these questions. The CO also asked the same, despite having my AFP police certificate in front of them.

I 100% agree with you, its way too risky to transfer from Suva back to SYD, if you have a 2NL for a Suva interview, a visa number has been reserved for you, whether that visa number is transferred back to SYD is something I personally would never risk, this is a once in a life time opportunity, the cost and logistics of as little as a 3 day stay in Suva is a drop in the ocean compared to getting a GC other than through the DV.

-----------------------
2022OC5XX
1NL received 9 May 2021

The quota allocation isn't a mystery. I have a spreadsheet for it, and made a video about it just a few weeks ago. It has nothing to do with taking a list of numbers and finding the average, because that would be daft. I also described above what the quota actually is, and how the quota can be increased.

Reactions: TWI