• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2022 AOS (Adjustment of Status) Only

I sent my DV admin fee ($330) via USPS Priority Mail last week and it looks like the check was lost in the mail. I've filed an investigation with USPS, but I'm thinking I'll just need to place a 'stop payment' on the check and start over.

I have a few questions, which I'd appreciate your advice on:

1. Would cancelling the check create any issues with Department of State? For example, if the check does arrive and Department of State try to cash it after I cancel it, could that adversely affect my case?

2. My understanding is that I have to use USPS to mail the DV admin fee because the mail is being sent to a P.O. Box. Is that correct?

3. What type of mailing service has worked for others? I used USPS Priority Mail, but maybe there's another service that other people have had success with?

4. I also purchased USPS Priority Mail for the return envelope that I included with my DV Admin Fee. Is there a preferred mail service to use for tracking the self-addressed envelope?

Thanks in advance!
How did you know it was lost? I do not think so. It happened to me many times, USPS sometimes does not scan the items that were delivered by mistake. Filling an investigation may not help, as I did before. I just waited and nothing happened. But I would argue that your envelope was delivered unless you have a piece of concrete evidence.

Hello everyone,

I made a mistake of not including a self-addressed stamped envelope for my DV administrative fee payment. I'm wondering if I should send another one with the self-addressed stamped envelope included? Or should I try to contact them(how?)? Will they get confused by this?
I appreciate your help. Thank you!

How did you know it was lost? I do not think so. It happened to me many times, USPS sometimes does not scan the items that were delivered by mistake. Filling an investigation may not help, as I did before. I just waited and nothing happened. But I would argue that your envelope was delivered unless you have a piece of concrete evidence.
Thanks for the quick reply! I've contacted the bank and they confirmed the check hasn't been cashed, and I've also contacted USPS and they haven't been able to locate the item. So I'm hoping someone can help with the questions below before I attempt to resend the check.

---

1. Would cancelling the check create any issues with Department of State? For example, if the check does arrive and Department of State try to cash it after I cancel it, could that adversely affect my case?

2. My understanding is that I have to use USPS to mail the DV admin fee because the mail is being sent to a P.O. Box. Is that correct?

3. What type of mailing service has worked for others? I used USPS Priority Mail, but maybe there's another service that other people have had success with?

4. I also purchased USPS Priority Mail for the return envelope that I included with my DV Admin Fee. Is there a preferred mail service to use for tracking the self-addressed envelope?

You cannot initiate your AOS as a derivative for now. You can only start the AOS process after your husband enters the US as a LPR (following his successful CP interview and being issued with an IV of course). Let’s revisit this conversation after your husband gets his IV and you know when he plans on entering the US (certain factors which I would rather not go into now may make you ineligible for AOS).
Thank you so much, I will wait till he gets in, I will update you soonest he gets here! I appreciate all your help.

Hello everyone,

I made a mistake of not including a self-addressed stamped envelope for my DV administrative fee payment. I'm wondering if I should send another one with the self-addressed stamped envelope included? Or should I try to contact them(how?)? Will they get confused by this?
You don't need to send in a new payment. Wait for the previously sent fee to be processed. Once you're able to confirm it has been processed, you can them email KCC to inform them of the omission and request the payment receipt be emailed to you.

Thanks for the quick reply! I've contacted the bank and they confirmed the check hasn't been cashed, and I've also contacted USPS and they haven't been able to locate the item. So I'm hoping someone can help with the questions below before I attempt to resend the check.

---

I'm in agreement with @adam69's response. Seems to me like you're pulling the trigger way too early. Your experience with USPS gets reported quite often by the way, quite doubtful the mail is indeed lost. Anyway, to answer your questions:

1. It shouldn't have any adverse effect on the case approval process itself.
2. You can use any form of mail service that delivers to a P.O. Box
3. Overthinking - different types of mail services (priority, express, first class, regular forever stamp) have been successfully used. You use whatever you feel like.
4. Same as 3 above. No such thing as preferred mail service for this.

About the early filing, maybe I am overthinking this, but would like to avoid my I-485 being erroneusly denied for early filing. Do you think it is a good/bad idea to include in part 14 "additional information" of the form i-485, a reference to section part 2 section 1.g with my DV case number and explaining my i-485 "is being submitted on the basis of the Diversity Visa cut off number listed on the Advanced Notification section of the March 2022 Visa Bulletin. The priority date for my case number is April 1st, 2022 and according to Policy Memorandum PM-602-0088 such advance notification enables persons to file their Form I-485 applications prior to the time a DV visa becomes “immediately available.”"
Any thoughts? Thank you!

About the early filing, maybe I am overthinking this, but would like to avoid my I-485 being erroneusly denied for early filing. Do you think it is a good/bad idea to include in part 14 "additional information" of the form i-485, a reference to section part 2 section 1.g with my DV case number and explaining my i-485 "is being submitted on the basis of the Diversity Visa cut off number listed on the Advanced Notification section of the March 2022 Visa Bulletin. The priority date for my case number is April 1st, 2022 and according to Policy Memorandum PM-602-0088 such advance notification enables persons to file their Form I-485 applications prior to the time a DV visa becomes “immediately available.”"
Any thoughts? Thank you!
The section is meant additional information which you did not have enough room to provide under one of the questions earlier asked, not for explaining why you are submitting your application. Plus any IO that has decided to deny a case for early filing (or the Lockbox rep that decides to reject the package for early filing) will not take the time to go through the I-485 to read what you've written down in that section. Don't create unnecessary complications for your case (IMO) by written something the section is not meant for.

You don't need to send in a new payment. Wait for the previously sent fee to be processed. Once you're able to confirm it has been processed, you can them email KCC to inform them of the omission and request the payment receipt be emailed to you.
Thank you! This is very helpful. It seems like it was delivered but the money order hasn't been cashed yet.
Just to confirm, is this the KCC email you're referring to? KCCDV@state.gov

Thank you! This is very helpful. It seems like it was delivered but the money order hasn't been cashed yet.
Just to confirm, is this the KCC email you're referring to? KCCDV@state.gov
I’m referring to whichever email address is listed on your selectee notification letter. I’m unable to confirm if what you’ve written is the same as what is listed on your selectee notification notice. Just be sure to follow the instructions listed there on how to contact the KCC.

Hello everyone,

I forgot to do that too last year. KCC just emailed it to me instead.

By the sound of it, you've sent a regular check (payments on neither cashier's checks, nor money orders can be stopped). Please follow
Thanks @adam69 @Sm1smom and @Xarthisius ! I appreciate your feedback and will wait a little bit longer before taking any action - hopefully the check will reach the Department of State soon. Also, @Xarthisius I used a cashier's check, but my bank said they can process a stop payment on it and return the money to my account if it is lost in the mail. Perhaps 'cancel' was the wrong word to use.

Hi everyone.
I can't understand why in the sample form (I-485), Q2 is answered "NO" while in the NOTE it is mentioned that if you selected the "Diversity Visa immigrant category", you must answer "YES" to the question 2.
I think when we select 1.g, we should answer Q2 as "YES." Could you please help me out?
Thanks

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-22 at 10.58.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-22 at 10.58.14 PM.png
    179.1 KB · Views: 22
Hi everyone.
I can't understand why in the sample form (I-485), Q2 is answered "NO" while in the NOTE it is mentioned that if you selected the "Diversity Visa immigrant category", you must answer "YES" to the question 2.
I think when we select 1.g, we should answer Q2 as "YES." Could you please help me out?
Thanks
May I suggest you google INA 245(i)? If you then believe you are subject to it, you should go ahead and answer “YES” to that question. And remember to fill out Supplement A to I485 which you must submit with your AOS package if you you’re answering “YES” to that question.

Hello, only a question. Are w-2, paystubs, bank statement, and tax return transcripts required to submit with i-485 packet if applicant's income and bank funds are very low, and will fully rely on sponsor's form i-134 affidavit of support.

Hello, only a question. Are w-2, paystubs, bank statement, and tax return transcripts required to submit with i-485 packet if applicant's income and bank funds are very low, and will fully rely on sponsor's form i-134 affidavit of support.
That is a discretionary call, although doing so wouldn’t hurt.

Hi everyone.
Thanks

It doesn't say that. It says "If you answered yes to item 2..."

Hi all,

Is this photo a 2NL or something else? I haven't received anything from KCC since this was sent on 9/29. My que number is 2022OC9XX.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    27 KB · Views: 35
  • 22222.PNG
    22222.PNG
    16.4 KB · Views: 30
Hi, I am processing via AOS AS23XXX and have submitted my DS260 however since I submitted my DS260, I moved to a new place. Do I need to unlock the DS260 and fix the current address? Or will they use the address listed in the I485 once I get current and am able to submit my documents? I guess I am not sure if I need to keep the information in the DS260 up to date if I am processing via AOS. Thank you for your time.