• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2022 AOS (Adjustment of Status) Only

Hey guys, wanted your opinions on filing the AOS process with lawyers. I currently have all of my documents ready (i-485 filed + additional evidence required, DV fee receipt, 2NL) and I was thinking of getting lawyers' help with review of documents. Is that a service that lawyers help with?
Unless you have an issue in your criminal background or maintaining your status in US, having a lawyer is a waste of resources IMO, plus in many cases they simply can't care less about your case. But if it gives you a sense of security, your money, your choice. Just search "lawyer" in the thread from previous year and see experiences from other users.

Unless you have an issue in your criminal background or maintaining your status in US, having a lawyer is a waste of resources IMO, plus in many cases they simply can't care less about your case. But if it gives you a sense of security, your money, your choice.
Imo a lawyer is also a waste of time if status hasn’t been maintained, they can’t change the fact that the applicant is barred from adjusting ….
advice on whether a criminal background is bad enough to be a problem for immigration is however one of the few cases I can think of where a lawyer could be helpful.

Thanks @SusieQQQ , I looked at it, it is expected to be current in June. The question is, can the file be completely processed within 4 months.
There have been people that even submitted in September and got their cases approved. It all depends on the case, FO, IO, and other factors. Four months is certainly not a short period of time for this process.

There have been people that even submitted in September and got their cases approved. It all depends on the case, FO, IO, and other factors. Four months is certainly not a short period of time for this process.
Thank you , this is motivating :)

Thank you, yes you are right. I will try to find cases.
Do bear in mind that in many FOs the timelines shorten the further into the fiscal year you go, so read what you see in context if things look strange at first glance. So if for example your FO shows that someone who submits in October takes 10 months and someone who submits in June takes 3 months, don’t just average them or think it’s random, understand that what you are reading is that priority changes depending how far from fiscal year end they get the case.

Someone just submitted on 10 September and got approved today.

edit: I wouldn’t recommend this! But 4 months is no problem.
For those reading this, the unsaid part of this is that the spouse (of the person who submitted early Sept and got approved today) had already filed their own case back in mid-May and was waiting for their interview, the NOA attached to the spouse's pending case was included with the newly filed case in September. So USCIS basically fast-tracked it when they associated it with the husband's.

So like Susie noted, waiting until the last minute is not recommended as the above is not the norm.

You are trying to compare apples and oranges with my post which you’ve quoted with yours. To help put things in context, that post was a response related to applications with USCIS. Your K1 and potential DV applications are not going through USCIS, they will be going through consular processing. So my statement of “Upon approval, the second application gets cancelled” is not applicable in your case - that was in the context of cases with USCIS.

Like I already responded to your initial PM, based on your scenario, you can also have both your K1 and DV based immigrant applications in the system at the same time. For CP, the second application only gets canceled if you do not show up for your appointment (assuming the first one (whichever got processed first) already got approved). Since you cannot be issued with two visas simultaneously, if you do show up for the second appointment, the first visa which already got issued will then be canceled without prejudice in order for the second visa to get issued.
Thank you so much. Now I understand the scenario.

I have so many questions about the DV program since it is kind of totally different process with CNs and AoSs and so on. My child was under 21 and included in the DV application, but now reached 21. I put AoS in DS 260 since the child is on F1 status in the US at present giving the current address, whereas the birth country is Japan (we lived at the time of birth). We left Japan some 20 years ago. My question is how to choose the AoS office? I indicated as Detroit, but in the forums I see many have indicated Chicago. Choosing the place of interview has any impact on the application?

I have so many questions about the DV program since it is kind of totally different process with CNs and AoSs and so on. My child was under 21 and included in the DV application, but now reached 21. I put AoS in DS 260 since the child is on F1 status in the US at present giving the current address, whereas the birth country is Japan (we lived at the time of birth). We left Japan some 20 years ago. My question is how to choose the AoS office? I indicated as Detroit, but in the forums I see many have indicated Chicago. Choosing the place of interview has any impact on the application?
First of all, in order for your child to benefit from your selection and process AOS, assuming your child hasn’t aged out, you will need to be approved and enter the US first. Only after that can the AOS portion be initiated. Your child may subsequently miss out as such most especially if your CP process isn’t completed early enough for you to have entered the US and activated your LPR status by May/June at the latest.

All DV based AOS applications get sent to the Chicago Lockbox, before USCIS assign them to the applicable local office based on the applicant’s home address listed on the AOS form. Whatever office you’ve indicated or selected on the DS260 is irrelevant to the AOS process.

Atlanta,GA and sorrounding areas. This is the cheapest i got for form 1-693 medicals.

He charges less than 500 dollars in total. .Not sure if it will change with DV2022 because of addition of COVID-19 vaccine requirement.
Its even cheaper by a few dollars if you pay cash. You wait afew days for labs.
Insist to see the signed I-693 form and get a copy before its sealed. Confirm about USCIS CS designation status incase license expired.

SOUTHERN MEDICAL CLINIC LLC [In Wellstar Atlanta Medical center South hospital complex]​

Dr. Chirag Patel
1136 Cleveland Avenue Suite 221
East Point GA 30344.
Tel; 404-761-1550

First of all, in order for your child to benefit from your selection and process AOS, assuming your child hasn’t aged out, you will need to be approved and enter the US first. Only after that can the AOS portion be initiated. Your child may subsequently miss out as such most especially if your CP process isn’t completed early enough for you to have entered the US and activated your LPR status by May/June at the latest.

All DV based AOS applications get sent to the Chicago Lockbox, before USCIS assign them to the applicable local office based on the applicant’s home address listed on the AOS form. Whatever office you’ve indicated or selected on the DS260 is irrelevant to the AOS process.
Thank you so much. All these are new and complicated for me. Grateful to you for your comments since they shed new light in the areas I have no idea about. In that case, my child is will be considered aged out, because 21 years already completed this year. So it will be only me. Thanks once again.

Thank you so much. All these are new and complicated for me. Grateful to you for your comments since they shed new light in the areas I have no idea about. In that case, my child is will be considered aged out, because 21 years already completed this year. So it will be only me. Thanks once again.
One note that if you already mentioned him on your DV submission, and if you are doing AOS yourself, IMO it would be a good idea to send an email to KCC after sending your payment indicating that you are the only one doing AOS. Sometimes they withhold confirming that to your IO thinking that you have not paid in full for all applicants.

When did he turn 21? How high is your case number? There is a chance he might be protected under CSPA depending on these answers. Effectively he has around 7 months protection - so if there is less than 7 months between his 21st birthday and when your case number is current he will be ok as a derivative.

I am not clear, are you also in the US and doing AOS?

My DV fee is still waiting for it to be picked up and it's been almost a week that it's being delivered to the Post Office. Is it normal? I contacted my delivery carrier they said it has been delivered but is not picked up by them yet. Is there a way I could contact them or should I cancel that DV fee and send the fee again? It was delivered on 24th Sept.

My DV fee is still waiting for it to be picked up and it's been almost a week that it's being delivered to the Post Office. Is it normal? I contacted my delivery carrier they said it has been delivered but is not picked up by them yet. Is there a way I could contact them or should I cancel that DV fee and send the fee again? It was delivered on 24th Sept.

I don't understand - how did you send it exactly? It sounds like you're getting someone else to deliver it to the post office?