• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2022 All Selectees (Consular Processing - CP)

Hi, for someone like me which CN 2022EU00018XXX won't go current until May next year at least. What's the point on rushing for the documents or even to get DQ now?
I mean I get that there are people with very high case numbers getting the DQ email now, but so what? They will have to wait until May or later next year when their CN go current, to get their interviews. They won't get their interviews any sooner, will they?
Is there a benefit for getting DQ now if you have a really high case number?

Thanks and sorry if my questions are silly they come from unknowledge.
I’m not sure about some of the logic in the other answer, but the main thing is that once all numbers in your range are current interviews are scheduled by DQ order; this may or may not help you, but being DQ earlier only has upside and no downside. (I personally would not assume all numbers go current this year btw. ) I have a simple way of looking at things: might it benefit me to do this? Are there drawbacks to doing this? If the answer to the first question is yes and to the second answer is no, I’d do it.

Susie is exactly right.

The benefit for a high case number is only once the case numbers are current - and mathematically, that shouldn't happen in DV2022, but who the heck knows what will happen. So - since police certs are good for 2 years now, there is no downside to submitting early and there might be some upside.

Hello
I haven’t asked yet to send documents i want send my documents
Question: i m single applicant and have never married but just in case i got certificate from my country that shows that i never been married
Should i send this document and if yes how title should be?
Thanks
There is no need sending any document indicating you are not married. You are only required to send a marriage certificate if you are married or Divorce Certificate if you are divorced. Pls stick to the document instruction on the lottery website website and don't complicate matters for yourself.

Susie is exactly right.

The benefit for a high case number is only once the case numbers are current - and mathematically, that shouldn't happen in DV2022, but who the heck knows what will happen. So - since police certs are good for 2 years now, there is no downside to submitting early and there might be some upside.
Thanks so much Brit. I got it about the upsides and no downsides of being DQ early on.

But what do you mean by "and mathematically, that shouldn't happen in DV2022"? numbers won't go current?

Thanks so much Brit. I got it about the upsides and no downsides of being DQ early on.

But what do you mean by "and mathematically, that shouldn't happen in DV2022"? numbers won't go current?
There are just over 119k selectees. There are 55k visas available. That is one of the highest number of selectees ever drawn and would usually mean it is highly unlikely that there will be enough visas available for everyone who wants one. So yes, on the face of it it would appear unlikely for this to be a year where all numbers and regions go current.

Yea you are right Mr. Simon, I am DV2022AS65** they have send me the DQ message on Friday 09.17.2021. so to complete your theory we are a family of two persons me and my wife, submitted my Ds-260 on 05.10.2021, sent the documents proactively listening to your advice, they unlocked me on 08.11.2021, they asked for documents on 08.17.2021 I sent them again on the same day. so everyone listen to this wise man and send the bloody documents!!! :D
Hello, greetings and congratulations to you. From your explanation I see that unlock request does not affect the original submission date, I gathered from some people that they now consider the new submission date.

There are just over 119k selectees. There are 55k visas available. That is one of the highest number of selectees ever drawn and would usually mean it is highly unlikely that there will be enough visas available for everyone who wants one. So yes, on the face of it it would appear unlikely for this to be a year where all numbers and regions go current.
Wow, I didn't know that! Thanks for the info.

Why would they do that, though? Knowing all the trouble of last 2 years not being able to issue all 55k visas, why would they select way more people than previous "normal" years? Isn't that going against their own benefit?

Sorry about the rant, this last message is me thinking out loud. o_O

We never know what's going to happen. In DV2021 there were around 130k selectees yet all regions are current. Of course, we can't compare DV2020 and DV2021 to a normal year because of several factors (pandemic, politics, etc), but we can't predict what DV2022 will be like especially since those factors still persist. Hopefully it will be better than the past 2 years!

Wow, I didn't know that! Thanks for the info.

Why would they do that, though? Knowing all the trouble of last 2 years not being able to issue all 55k visas, why would they select way more people than previous "normal" years? Isn't that going against their own benefit?

Sorry about the rant, this last message is me thinking out loud. o_O
The flawed logic is explained somewhere properly by britsimon, but the tldr version is that the underallotment of visas the prior year makes it “look like” there was low demand, so they select more people to compensate. Of course two seconds analyzing the reasons for low allotment shows the reasoning is faulty, but …

Their “benefit” is simply to try actually give out the maximum 55k visas.

We never know what's going to happen. In DV2021 there were around 130k selectees yet all regions are current. Of course, we can't compare DV2020 and DV2021 to a normal year because of several factors (pandemic, politics, etc), but we can't predict what DV2022 will be like especially since those factors still persist. Hopefully it will be better than the past 2 years!
There were pretty much zero DV interviews (other than the paltry number of AOS and a lawsuit induced flurry for a few weeks in September) for half the fiscal year in each of DV2020 and DV2021 because of the Trump ban. That is not a factor this year. So no, not all those factors persist.

Yea you are right Mr. Simon, I am DV2022AS65** they have send me the DQ message on Friday 09.17.2021. so to complete your theory we are a family of two persons me and my wife, submitted my Ds-260 on 05.10.2021, sent the documents proactively listening to your advice, they unlocked me on 08.11.2021, they asked for documents on 08.17.2021 I sent them again on the same day. so everyone listen to this wise man and send the bloody documents!!! :D
I submitted mine on 11 May till now no document request email, I am current November, what can be the reason? anyone else in similar situation?

@Britsimon @SusieQQQ @Sm1smom AF4XXX Single person, Current in November, I submitted Submitted DS 260 on 11 May and sent documents without being asked in July, till now I have not received Document request email, but many people from 11 may to 16 May have received, what can be the problem and what can I do?

There were pretty much zero DV interviews (other than the paltry number of AOS and a lawsuit induced flurry for a few weeks in September) for half the fiscal year in each of DV2020 and DV2021 because of the Trump ban. That is not a factor this year. So no, not all those factors persist.
I thought the tiered approach is still in effect for DV2022. Wouldn't that affect the speed at which they're scheduling interviews? Since DV visas are pretty much lowest priority, I imagined it would mean less cases being scheduled and thus overcompensating the allotment in the visa bulletin.

The movement of the VB month to month, and whether a region becomes current or not is a calculation performed by Charlie O. As inputs he looks at how many visas are available, embassy capacity and demand (cases that are DQ). Visa availability is sort of divided into quarterly buckets for a rough guesstimate, so that they would not try to do 100% of cases in 3 months. Embassy capacity may be affected by Tier4 in the calculation, I can'yt be sure.

Last year went current because KCC controlled (and throttled) the pace of cases going through the DQ stage. So - the numbers they reported to Charlie O were very low, even though there were many cases that had submitted their DS260s and were waiting for documents to be processed. They failed to process cases in appropriate volumes, only asked for documents when cases were near to being current and so on. They also cut back on the speed of processing while DV was affected by the bans.

If KCC process documents at "normal" speed, and if there is a constant flow of cases hitting the ds260 and document inboxes, then it is likely that demand would be higher than visa availability, AND capacity could be limited by the tier 4 prioritization.

Assuming NO capacity problems (a dream at this point), and if everyone that submits a DS260 (usually about 65/70% max), ALSO gets their documents processed, that would mean demand would be about 80k (of which about 10% would be denied). So - in that scenario, there would be final caps in some or all regions. That the the "mathematics".

But we don't know so many things. We don't know what will happen with Covid, embassy opening status, if and when tier 4 gets removed, whether people get the message to #sendthebloodydocuments, whether DV2020 or DV2021 process causes impacts, whether KCC #processthebloodydocuments more efficiently and so on, or even whether people are so fed up with the DV process that the response rate is lowered, whether embassies will enforce the passport rule causing higher refusals. Way too many factors. So - whilst we could do the math, that doesn't help predict what will actually happen.

I thought the tiered approach is still in effect for DV2022. Wouldn't that affect the speed at which they're scheduling interviews? Since DV visas are pretty much lowest priority, I imagined it would mean less cases being scheduled and thus overcompensating the allotment in the visa bulletin.
In addition to Simon’s excellent analysis, you might want to note the update on the tier prioritization page https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/News/visas-news/immigrant-visa-prioritization.html on DoS. Whether or not that gets extended to DV2022 is open to question at this stage.

* A U.S. District Court has enjoined the Department of State from applying this prioritization guidance “to DV-2021 selectees and their derivative beneficiaries.

Same here. Ds260 on 22nd may.
Current in October.
Sent docs in june without request.
Case Number: 22AS18X.
Still nothing from KCC.

Hello, Is there any way I can check how is my case moving at KCC? Can I check it from ceac.state.gov/ceac/ under "Check my visa application status" and which number I should put in there? I tried with my case number which is 2022EUxxxxx6xx but it gives me error. Am I doing something wrong?
  • Also, my case number is current in October but haven't received anything from KCC.