• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2021 soon!

It’ll be interesting to see how COVID-19 will impact DV2021, especially considering the impact it’s having on DV2020 with consulate closures etc. We’ll just have to be positive and see what happens come May - only 43 days to go!

DV 2021 hopeful over here. I really hope I win! So do all of you I guess. I wish you all good luck! With the new rules introduced last year, there's no doubt that there will be a decrease in applicants. Albeit, I think the decrease will be marginal and highly region dependent. (I actually did some research and realized it's actually quite easy to get a passport in most countries, in most regions, except in the African region.) Nevertheless, this is still the best chance we've had in years............

Then, there was the outbreak.

Though I am still anxiously waiting for May, with the virus spreading like crazy with no signs of slowing down, I don't know if winning actually makes a difference at this point. Borders are closing, economies are shutting down. I sincerely hope the situation gets under control, for the sake of the global economy and everyone's health.

DV 2021 hopeful over here. I really hope I win! So do all of you I guess. I wish you all good luck! With the new rules introduced last year, there's no doubt that there will be a decrease in applicants. Albeit, I think the decrease will be marginal and highly region dependent. (I actually did some research and realized it's actually quite easy to get a passport in most countries, in most regions, except in the African region.) Nevertheless, this is still the best chance we've had in years............

Then, there was the outbreak.

Though I am still anxiously waiting for May, with the virus spreading like crazy with no signs of slowing down, I don't know if winning actually makes a difference at this point. Borders are closing, economies are shutting down. I sincerely hope the situation gets under control, for the sake of the global economy and everyone's health.

Hello everyone! Did you guys include passport informations( date of issuance and expiration) in your initial application entry?

Hello everyone! Did you guys include passport informations( date of issuance and expiration) in your initial application entry?

it was required (for the principal entrant) according to the instructions:

NEW FOR DV-2021: The passport number, country of issuance, and expiration date for the principal entrant’s valid, unexpired international travel passport. This requirement applies to the principal entrant only, not to dependents. You must enter valid international travel passport information unless you are stateless, a national of a Communist-controlled country and unable to obtain a passport from the government of the Communist-controlled country, or the beneficiary of
an individual waiver approved by the Secretary of Homeland Security and the Secretary of State.

Furthermore from the FAQs:
What if my passport expires or I lose it before I apply for a visa?
If your passport number changes for any reason, you will have to provide evidence of why it has changed to
KCC before they will schedule your DV interview. If you entered a false, inaccurate, or invalid passport
number on your DV entry, your case will be disqualified or your DV application refused. We suggest you make
a legible photocopy of the passport you use for the entry and store it in a secure location with your entry
confirmation number (FAQ #27). A photocopy alone is not proof you entered a valid passport number on your
entry, but it can help you explain the situation. The final determination is up to the Consular Officer at the
time of your DV interview.

With all this corona stuff going on.. I don't even think this is on anyone's mind at the moment.
I wouldn't say so. It's definitely still on my mind. And I still want to win. BUT if I do, I don't know if I can process my application. Also, with unemployment rates so high in the US and all the benefits that have been given out by the government, I'm sure more emphasis will be placed on Public Charge. This will inevitably make things a lot harder and I believe, will increase refusal rates.

I wouldn't say so. It's definitely still on my mind. And I still want to win. BUT if I do, I don't know if I can process my application. Also, with unemployment rates so high in the US and all the benefits that have been given out by the government, I'm sure more emphasis will be placed on Public Charge. This will inevitably make things a lot harder and I believe, will increase refusal rates.

I think that the whole lottery will be postponed until next year. Because all the people that were selected last year, have still not been processed. It's a mess.

I think that the whole lottery will be postponed until next year. Because all the people that were selected last year, have still not been processed. It's a mess.

It’s very likely that processing will resume as usual. Unfortunately, being selected doesn’t always mean you’re guaranteed an interview/visa. This fact has been clearly stated on all selection letters. USCIS can only try their best to meet the backlog before the 30th of September.

I’m not clear - as unfortunate as that is for current selectees - why that should mean the lottery is “postponed” (do you mean abandoned, or how do you foresee a “postponement“ working?) Selectees for this year don’t carry over into the next fiscal year.
No change to draw date on the official website.

I would certainly expect lower numbers of selectees proceeding with their selection though, I seem to recall that happened during the GFC too. Worse job prospects, higher chance of public charge refusal, reluctance to give up comfort zones/social security safety nets/public healthcare/family support will likely all make many people think twice. Of course, some may have a longer strategic view, but that’s not always practical, especially for those without significant assets.

Yeah, I agree with @Britsimon and @SusieQQQ . The only way the lottery will be cancelled or postponed is if a law that mandates so, is passed and it won't because nobody really cares about immigration at the moment. The results for DV2021 will be released on schedule, electronically. The draw was probably done soon after the application was closed and probably didn't take more than clicks of a few buttons on a computer along with some processing time. DV2020 will end with the fiscal year on September 2020 and the selectees who didn't get interviewed will unfortunately lose their chance. The is very sad but I'm sure nobody wished for the current situation to happen.

That said, selectees for DV 2021 might have a harder time deciding whether or not to process and if they do, will face more hurdles because of the high unemployment rate in the USA leading to lower job prospects as well as other aspects that Susie mentioned above. This situation might drag on for months after the pandemic is under control. This means CO's will place more emphasis on public charge and your financial resources during the interview. The decision of leaving almost everything behind and moving to a new country where you hardly know the culture, people and for some, the language will also not be an easy one to make, especially with the current circumstances. won

Nevertheless, I have personally not given up hope. If I do, by some miracle, WIN. Well....... that'll be the start of my worries, I guess. A good kinda of worry, though. But who knows, the odds of winning are an average of 0.5% across the board anyway. Right now everyone should be focused on getting through the current situation. For certain countries, the peak has passed. For others, things are just about to ramp up.

PS: If things don't ease up in the US or in your own country in the coming months, chances are you won't be able to get out of your country or get into the States anyway.

HI to all,

maybe someone can help me with my concerns
1] i wrongly put in the case where I was suppose to write place of birth I put the nationality its[for my child] as a beneficiary
will this be a reason of disqualifing even though i may modified it in my d260 form?

2] in my high school diploma , birth certificate it happen that my firts name is my last name and in passport which I used to enter the dv lottery my last name is my first name .
what can I DO should I leave it like that or can make a change in filling ds 260 and make a new passport ?

please help, any experience with the same situation, advice anything to help pleassssss

HI to all,

maybe someone can help me with my concerns
1] i wrongly put in the case where I was suppose to write place of birth I put the nationality its[for my child] as a beneficiary
will this be a reason of disqualifing even though i may modified it in my d260 form?

2] in my high school diploma , birth certificate it happen that my firts name is my last name and in passport which I used to enter the dv lottery my last name is my first name .
what can I DO should I leave it like that or can make a change in filling ds 260 and make a new passport ?

please help, any experience with the same situation, advice anything to help pleassssss

Wait and see if you’re selected first. If selected (after the results have been released), you can return to to forum to ask all your questions then.

Sm1smon,

thank you for your reply, but since I ‘be already raised my concerns maybe you or someone else in this forums had the same experience or know someone who had or have the similar situation can help

or having an idea on how to proceed in this kind of situation can help.

much appreciated