• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2021 Oceania Selectees

Brisbane - they didn't offer another time or date. Just that I had to do it in Sydney instead..
Interesting.. and concerning.. I'm also Brisbane based so will be a little annoying if i have to go down for a medical and interview separately (but will manage if that is the case).

C
Had my interview today in Sydney.

Arrived at 0715 and had to wait to 0730 for the lifts to unlock (pro tip - theres a food court down stairs).

At 0745 we were screened by security and admitted to waiting room.

By 0815 we were being seen by the various people (initial documentation person, cashier, then finally the CO).

By 0900 we had been told our visas were approved and were on our way home.

Everybody at the Sydney consulate was lovely. The staff chatted to my toddlers at every step, they tolerated our noise, and were generally cheerful and nice.

The questions asked were very simple. 'Where will you live?' 'What do you do for work?' 'Ever had any problems with the Police' etc. Nothing at all that could have stumped a reasonable person nor which would require preparation.

There were two other DV winners there by the time we left so it looks like SYD is doing a few today.

I was well prepared with documents, having followed the instructions of the Consulate, the State Department, and BritSimon (with one exception - I filed my DS260 nearly immediately), and as a result I didn't have any issues.

I didn't have years of experience working in Australian local and state government to help me navigate the US system, but inspite of that I didn't read the FAM, I didn't quibble over US college entry requirements, and I didn't even need to insult other selectees of volunteer moderators!
Congratulations!!! This is such great news. What's your plan from here?

Wow

Arrived at 0715 and had to wait to 0730 for the lifts to unlock (pro tip - theres a food court down stairs).

By 0815 we were being seen by the various people (initial documentation person, cashier, then finally the CO).

Everybody at the Sydney consulate was lovely. The staff chatted to my toddlers at every step, they tolerated our noise, and were generally cheerful and nice.

The questions asked were very simple. 'Where will you live?' 'What do you do for work?' 'Ever had any problems with the Police' etc. Nothing at all that could have stumped a reasonable person nor which would require preparation.

There were two other DV winners there by the time we left so it looks like SYD is doing a few today.

I was well prepared with documents, having followed the instructions of the Consulate, the State Department, and BritSimon (with one exception - I filed my DS260 nearly immediately), and as a result I didn't have any issues.

I didn't have years of experience working in Australian local and state government to help me navigate the US system, but inspite of that I didn't read the FAM, I didn't quibble over US college entry requirements, and I didn't even need to insult other selectees of volunteer moderators!
Congratulations

C

Congratulations!!! This is such great news. What's your plan from here?
Thanks mate.

I've got my tickets to Dallas booked for July 16 so in the next few weeks I need to:
- Finish convincing my employer to transfer me to our Dallas office.
- Do all the normal small repairs one does when they sell a home.
- Sell my home.
- Sell my cars and all our stuff.
- Pack what small amount of stuff we are taking in to the 12 bags we're allowed on the plane and the three moving boxes we're sending (arbitrary limit I self imposed).
- Book an AirBnB for the first two months.
- Hopefully find a rental home in advance (we have had some promising contact with realtors in Dallas).
- Train my dog to be more sociable so our two dogs and cat can board at a friend's house while we wait to send them to the USA (they fly when we have a rental).
- Say goodbye to all the people who matter to me.
- All while working full time!

Its going to be a big few weeks!

Congrats! Very exciting and lots to organise before you go (but definitely worth it!). Thank you for the info on your interview today as well. It's some really encouraging news for us all hanging out here waiting :)

A few Q's if you don't mind:
- What range was your case number in? Low?
- From a medical perspective - were there any immunisations you had to get? did the Dr give them on the day?

WELP. I was booked for my medical today and as I was parking up, they called to inform me the Dr. was no longer able to do them and they were cancelling my appointment. I just drove a 2 hr round trip just to go to the bathroom haha :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
But that's ok, I've rebooked another and have to fly into Sydney instead. I know I'm being irrational but I am so nervous for these next parts. Such a rollercoaster, hope everyone is well!
Brisbane based here as well. The lady in the office was very informative and helpful when we called last week so that's a little concerning to hear that your appointment was just cancelled. She did say that the Dr was taking time off in May so perhaps that could be why they couldn't reschedule you before your interview?

Congrats! Very exciting and lots to organise before you go (but definitely worth it!). Thank you for the info on your interview today as well. It's some really encouraging news for us all hanging out here waiting :)

A few Q's if you don't mind:
- What range was your case number in? Low?
- From a medical perspective - were there any immunisations you had to get? did the Dr give them on the day?
My number was very low - under 200.

We had to get the flu shot, MMR, DTaP. Both my wife and I had had chicken pox so we didn't need that vaccine.

All vaccinations were given on the day. We proactively chose to get HEP-B shots because I was worried that with it being a multi-shot course it might delay us, but the doctor said he wouldn't have given it anyway.

My number was very low - under 200.

We had to get the flu shot, MMR, DTaP. Both my wife and I had had chicken pox so we didn't need that vaccine.

All vaccinations were given on the day. We proactively chose to get HEP-B shots because I was worried that with it being a multi-shot course it might delay us, but the doctor said he wouldn't have given it anyway.
Awesome, thanks for that. Under 200 here as well, but only completed everything late March as we were aiming for a late 2021 move. Good luck with your move! :)

I woke up this morning to a 2NL!!!!!!

I can't really find the words to describe how excited i feel right now but i go back to what i said, whatever is meant to be will be!

I hope others woke to a 2NL as well :) :)
Congrats AusJess27!!!

Just out of what was your number range and when did you get your documents verified email?

I’m 16XX, got my documents verified email on the 15th April.

Was hoping to get my 2NL but still waiting on it.

Congrats AusJess27!!!

Just out of what was your number range and when did you get your documents verified email?

I’m 16XX, got my documents verified email on the 15th April.

Was hoping to get my 2NL but still waiting on it.
Thanks @NY9

Case no 13XX, i received a confirmation for my docs but i also processed my DS260 and supporting documents back in July last year.

Congratulations,
What all documents you took with you,im not sure whether different embassy have different sets of documents required or its the same for all.

Congratulations,
What all documents you took with you,im not sure whether different embassy have different sets of documents required or its the same for all.
You should be referring to the reciprocity page for your consulate. This will tell you note just what documents are needed, but also any specific details needed for those documents (e.g. KCC say you need a "police check" but the reciprocity page for Sydney explains its a type 33 police check from the Australian Federal Police).

I can't really find the words to describe how excited i feel right now but i go back to what i said, whatever is meant to be will be!

Yay Jess!! Totally agree with your mentality :)
That's awesome. For June or July?

This is GREAT news!! It definitely gives me hope!!

Yes, I too would like to know if this is for a June interview date or July?
and,
Is this at the SYD consulate?
and lastly,
How were you notified by KCC, did they send you an email?

Yay Jess!! Totally agree with your mentality :)
That's awesome. For June or July?
This is GREAT news!! It definitely gives me hope!!

Yes, I too would like to know if this is for a June interview date or July?
and,
Is this at the SYD consulate?
and lastly,
How were you notified by KCC, did they send you an email?
Interview is at the Sydney Consulate, late June and a Tuesday morning at 8am.

I received an email from 'noreply@state.gov' letting me know that i had an update available on the portal so to log in. I had seen this from someone else on this forum so knew straight away. You can imagine how quickly i jumped out of bed to turn my computer on and check!! haha

I have also just booked my medical in Sydney. I did this because (1) i read recently that someone had a cancellation at the Brisbane one and didnt want to take the risk, (2) im going to syd for the interview i may as well be there for the medical, (3) less transit time for the medical results (the medical centre said only 2 business days and the medical centre is down the road from the consulate, (4) i've been quoted approx $560 (slightly cheaper than what i was quoted in Brisbane)

The lady at the medical centre also assured me that even if the medical results aren't released to the consulate in time for my interview it will just be pending until they are. She honestly made it sound like that wasn't out of the ordinary to do that. Also i know you have 6 months from your medical to enter the US and was trying to stretch it so i could spend Christmas with my family before i go!