• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2021 Oceania Selectees

After reading all of your comments on this thread i feel a lot of your remarks are just trying to start a debate about something. This thread is for helpful comments and for everyone to bring their knowledge together, certainly not a competition. Very grateful for a perspective of a former government worker but it would be really appreciated if you could try not to put a negative spin on everything.
My advice to you AusJess27, if you don’t like the free speech of others, who, despite what you may think, may have actually helped some on this forum, even if they don’t realise it (yet), is to abandon your DV application, because, if you do make it to the US, and try to stop 1st amendment rights in the US, you may find out that many who embrace the 1st amendment are also supporters of the 2nd amendment.

So far my “negativity” has identified one member who was quiet prepared to attend their interview with education evidence that did NOT include any results, meaning they would NOT be able to prove they had SUCCESSFULLY completed high school, when the FAM requires evidence of SUCCESSFUL education results, have flagged the possibility of medicals before being offered an interview, or medicals post interview, that education need not be year 12 high school completion to qualify for a DV, and assistance with what evidence may support a work experience submission.

If I were to follow your “appreciations” and not comment because I’m a realist and recognise all circumstances can have a degree of negativity, I would not post on here, and others may not benefit from my experience.

Your above comment is not helpful, and is a hindrance to others.

Fortunately I’m experienced enough to know I don’t have to answer to you and your ilk.

If you want to light a candle, chant/pray/have positive thoughts or whatever and “hope for the best” to get a DV that’s your business, but don’t ruin it for others who may be realists and would benefit from the opinion of someone who does have experience dealing with governments as a civilian, and dealing with civilians as a (former) public servant.

My advice to you AusJess27, if you don’t like the free speech of others, who, despite what you may think, may have actually helped some on this forum, even if they don’t realise it (yet), is to abandon your DV application, because, if you do make it to the US, and try to stop 1st amendment rights in the US, you may find out that many who embrace the 1st amendment are also supporters of the 2nd amendment.
This forum does not condone threatening others, be it subtle or implied.

After reading all of your comments on this thread i feel a lot of your remarks are just trying to start a debate about something. This thread is for helpful comments and for everyone to bring their knowledge together, certainly not a competition. Very grateful for a perspective of a former government worker but it would be really appreciated if you could try not to put a negative spin on everything.
ooh ausjess your rather bland comment seems to have hit a thin-skinned nerve ! lol

(Personally I'm not sure how useful government experience is if it comes from the type of background leading to long diatribes about what the consulate and KCC should do for selectees - the US government just does not work like that - it expects people to figure things out for themselves - but anyway)

As you say plenty useful stuff here, in this and the general selectee thread. Just an FYI, there is an ignore function for people who you find are more annoying than helpful (although you will still see their comments if they are quoted by someone else). I don't use it very often but occasionally people come along who i really can't be bothered to read anymore.

ooh ausjess your rather bland comment seems to have hit a thin-skinned nerve ! lol

(Personally I'm not sure how useful government experience is if it comes from the type of background leading to long diatribes about what the consulate and KCC should do for selectees - the US government just does not work like that - it expects people to figure things out for themselves - but anyway)

As you say plenty useful stuff here, in this and the general selectee thread. Just an FYI, there is an ignore function for people who you find are more annoying than helpful (although you will still see their comments if they are quoted by someone else). I don't use it very often but occasionally people come along who i really can't be bothered to read anymore.

21 minutes!!!!!!

What happed Susie, that’s not your usual speed, late night?

my case number is OC30XX thats what is weird. im really surprised...

Its worth noting my application is REALLY simple. One person, not married, no kids, good education, not sure if that helped?
Well that was a fun lot of crazy to read at 7am LOL

@atang34 this is obviously purely speculative and anecdotal, but I had a pretty similar experience myself and the same type of ‘simple’ application. Single, no derivatives, bachelors degree etc. I was quick to receive docs request email, docs were processed quickly and scheduled for an interview quickly too. I also have only lived in NZ longer than 12 months so only 1 police certificate. We can only speculate though!

Had my interview today in Sydney.

Arrived at 0715 and had to wait to 0730 for the lifts to unlock (pro tip - theres a food court down stairs).

At 0745 we were screened by security and admitted to waiting room.

By 0815 we were being seen by the various people (initial documentation person, cashier, then finally the CO).

By 0900 we had been told our visas were approved and were on our way home.

Everybody at the Sydney consulate was lovely. The staff chatted to my toddlers at every step, they tolerated our noise, and were generally cheerful and nice.

The questions asked were very simple. 'Where will you live?' 'What do you do for work?' 'Ever had any problems with the Police' etc. Nothing at all that could have stumped a reasonable person nor which would require preparation.

There were two other DV winners there by the time we left so it looks like SYD is doing a few today.

I was well prepared with documents, having followed the instructions of the Consulate, the State Department, and BritSimon (with one exception - I filed my DS260 nearly immediately), and as a result I didn't have any issues.

I didn't have years of experience working in Australian local and state government to help me navigate the US system, but inspite of that I didn't read the FAM, I didn't quibble over US college entry requirements, and I didn't even need to insult other selectees of volunteer moderators!

Last edited:
Had my interview today in Sydney.

Arrived at 0715 and had to wait to 0730 for the lifts to unlock (pro tip - theres a food court down stairs).

At 0745 we were screened by security and admitted to waiting room.

By 0815 we were being seen by the various people (initial documentation person, cashier, then finally the CO).

By 0900 we had been told our visas were approved and were on our way home.

Everybody at the Sydney consulate was lovely. The staff chatted to my toddlers at every step, they tolerated our noise, and were generally cheerful and nice.

The questions asked were very simple. 'Where will you live?' 'What do you do for work?' 'Ever had any problems with the Police' etc. Nothing at all that could have stumped a reasonable person nor which would require preparation.

There were two other DV winners there by the time we left so it looks like SYD is doing a few today.

I was well prepared with documents, having followed the instructions of the Consulate, the State Department, and BritSimon (with one exception - I filed my DS260 nearly immediately), and as a result I didn't have any issues.

I didn't have years of experience working in Australian local and state government to help me navigate the US system, but inspite of that I read the FAM, I didn't quibble over US college entry requirements, and I didn't even need to insult other selectees of volunteer moderators!
Thank you so much for sharing and congratulations!!!!! :)

WELP. I was booked for my medical today and as I was parking up, they called to inform me the Dr. was no longer able to do them and they were cancelling my appointment. I just drove a 2 hr round trip just to go to the bathroom haha :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
But that's ok, I've rebooked another and have to fly into Sydney instead. I know I'm being irrational but I am so nervous for these next parts. Such a rollercoaster, hope everyone is well!

WELP. I was booked for my medical today and as I was parking up, they called to inform me the Dr. was no longer able to do them and they were cancelling my appointment. I just drove a 2 hr round trip just to go to the bathroom haha :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
But that's ok, I've rebooked another and have to fly into Sydney instead. I know I'm being irrational but I am so nervous for these next parts. Such a rollercoaster, hope everyone is well!
Is there anything specific you're worried about that you'd like to ask?

Congratulations to you and your family @Archer87 !!!! Which state have you picked for your new home? I’m still waiting for my visa to be issued from 2 weeks ago lol I’m still sitting at ready. Patience Ashley, it will come.

Where was your medical originally scheduled and cancelled?