• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2021 AOS Only

I never doubted that you were 100% correct regarding background checks.

Just wanted to make sure, that officer didn't forget about my case, because generally they have 2 months after the last status change and it was hard to wait even for 2 weeks.

Do you know if there is any timeline for officers to make a final decision on a case after a background check is completed?
Getting back to a previously treated case file is at the IO's discretion - it all depends on the case load they're dealing with. There's no defined timeline as to when they get back to such cases. There is no requirement for an IO to get back to a case file within 2 months of when last they touched it.

NOTE: We are actively processing your case if, in the past 60 days, you:
  • Received a notice from us about your case,
  • Responded to a request for evidence, OR
  • Received an online update to your case status.
Above is basically a guideline for when an applicant may be able to initiate a case status update inquiry - it is not written in stone - it is meant to discourage applicants from incessant case follow up attempts. It does not imply the IO has two months after the last update to ensure they're back on a pending file.

Not quite sure how many attempts you made at additional following ups with you congresswoman before giving up on that end. If you've made 3 to 4 follow up attempts with your congress person (through the correct channel for contacting them) and you're not not hearing back from them, then try your senator, they can initiate a congressional inquiry too.

Thank you, Mom. After I submitted my request using the online form on the congresswoman's website, I sent a follow-up email when I never heard back from them. I will try again and if nothing happens, I'll think about contacting my senator in May.

I understand if FO blames NBC for dropping the ball but the weird thing is the first tier 2 agent said my file is at NBC and the second tier 2 agent said my file was sent to FO on March 30. My FO has provided me the same response so far. In this case, which one would be better for me-INFOPASS or congressional inquiry? Thank you.
If you can get an INFOPASS, initiate one. You can also initiate a congressional inquiry. Splitting hairs over what the Tier 2 personnel said, or the FO providing you with the same response are irrelevant IMO, the fact of the matter is your case is stuck somewhere, possibly one of the unfortunate ones that somehow falls through the cracks year after year. Again, it is possible your FO intends to bunch all DV based AOS applications together and treat them towards the end of the year. All I'm trying to tell you is stop trying to read some implied meanings into whatever they're telling you. Keep pushing, keep trying until you get the IL and the much needed approval.

Thank you, Mom. After I submitted my request using the online form on the congresswoman's website, I sent a follow-up email when I never heard back from them. I will try again and if nothing happens, I'll think about contacting my senator in May.
Is there no listed phone number for contacting them?

Am a DV2021 who goes CURRENT in MAy 2021.
I read the google spreadsheet.Thanks.

1. What is the best time to submit the DS-260, in order to get the 2NL KCC letter on time.[ do i need to wait for this before i send the package]
2. Where and when do i pay the DV administrative fee/.

I intent to send my package on May 1st, 2021 , the month i go current.
Thanks

Am a DV2021 who goes CURRENT in MAy 2021.
I read the google spreadsheet.Thanks.

1. What is the best time to submit the DS-260, in order to get the 2NL KCC letter on time.[ do i need to wait for this before i send the package]
2. Where and when do i pay the DV administrative fee/.

I intent to send my package on May 1st, 2021 , the month i go current.
Thanks
1&2: I recommend you go through the spreadsheet again. Another review of the spreadsheet should provide you with the response to these basic questions.

If you can get an INFOPASS, initiate one. You can also initiate a congressional inquiry. Splitting hairs over what the Tier 2 personnel said, or the FO providing you with the same response are irrelevant IMO, the fact of the matter is your case is stuck somewhere, possibly one of the unfortunate ones that somehow falls through the cracks year after year. Again, it is possible your FO intends to bunch all DV based AOS applications together and treat them towards the end of the year. All I'm trying to tell you is stop trying to read some implied meanings into whatever they're telling you. Keep pushing, keep trying until you get the IL and the much needed approval.
Thanks for your advice. I was able to schedule an infopass using Emma. They said the officer will call me in 14 days. Any suggestions that I should be prepared for?

1&2: I recommend you go through the spreadsheet again. Another review of the spreadsheet should provide you with the response to these basic questions.
I read it again, and i need clarity on the DS-260 and 2NL correlation.
If i decide NOT to fill the DS-260 [since its optional for AOS], can i still get the 2NL from KCC.
Thanks

Wondering if I should start imposing levies or charges every time some one comes back to confirm precisely what I already told them :cool:
Dear mom and Suzie, I believe I'm included in this list after my question yesterday and I didn't want to be "that guy." Please know that I didn't mean to waste your time or anyone else. After reading some recent questions on this forum related to Tax and public charge, I started doubting myself again which is why I wanted to reiterate my question back in August 2020. This month has been stressful with the end of the semester approaching and final exams closing in. I also need to prepare for my DV case which is going to be current in May.

I apologize on behalf of myself and everybody whose post might be considered as duplicate or spam. I get it since this is kind of a once in a lifetime opportunity for DV selectees and we are all trying to get the right information to make sure this process goes smoothly. Your contribution to this forum as well as Suzie's is invaluable and I would like to express my gratitude. I will also try to refrain from asking questions that may seem stupid or spam in the future. Thank you.

Last edited:
I read it again, and i need clarity on the DS-260 and 2NL correlation.
If i decide NOT to fill the DS-260 [since its optional for AOS], can i still get the 2NL from KCC.
Thanks
Seeing that your response to my suggestion for you to go through the AOS process spreadsheet is within 10 minutes of my post, I highly doubt you've gone through it again as recommended. I'm sorry I can't give you the "clarity" you're seeking because the spreadsheet is clear enough IMO. If you go through the FAQ tab in particular, you will see the answers to these basic questions. It took a lot of effort to put that tool together, and the expectation is for users to equally put in a little bit of effort by using the resources that is already made available. I'm sorry I can't help you if you're not willing to put in the effort to help your self.

Maybe someone else in the forum may be willing to provide some direct answers to these questions of yours, I certainly don't have an issue with anyone doing so.

Thanks for your advice. I was able to schedule an infopass using Emma. They said the officer will call me in 14 days. Any suggestions that I should be prepared for?
Be prepared for anything and everything. Be prepared to explain when you filed, when you completed the bio, efforts you've made to date, sunset deadline applicable to DV cases, whatever else comes to your mind.

1. They will let you know if they’re able to correct it or not when you call. If they’re unable to make the correction on the phone, you’ll have another opportunity to make the change when you go in for your interview.
2. Yes, you can do that if you like. I can’t say for certain if doing so may negatively impact the second package it however isn’t an option I would personally explore. Withdrawing the first package sends you back to the end of the processing queue though as the second package will be treated as a new one (it wouldn’t be inserted into the previous slot where the first one was).
Hello Sm1simon,

We called the 1800 number, and they told us to write a letter to USCIS to correct the mistake. We are concerned that selecting "yes" to that question implies some additional fees and forms. So, my questions are;
1. Do you think this is a fixable mistake by sending a letter or at the interview?
2. Since the mistake implies more fees and forms, may it delay the process or deny our application?

I really appreciate any help you can provide.

Dear mom and Suzie, I believe I'm included in this list after my question yesterday and I didn't want to be "that guy." Please know that I didn't mean to waste your time or anyone else. After reading some recent questions on this forum related to Tax and public charge, I started doubting myself again which is why I wanted to reiterate my question back in August 2020. This month has been stressful with the end of the semester approaching and final exams closing in. I also need to prepare for my DV case which is going to be current in May.

I apologize on behalf of myself and everybody whose post might be considered as duplicate or spam. I get it since this is kind of a once in a lifetime opportunity for DV selectees and we are all trying to get the right information to make sure this process goes smoothly. Your contribution to this forum as well as Suzie's is invaluable and I would like to express my gratitude. I will also try to refrain from asking questions that may seem stupid or spam in the future. Thank you.
You have completely misinterpreted the cheekiness behind my post. Yes I admit it can be frustrating to answer the same set of questions over and over again, there's no point in time in which I've deemed any one's question as being "stupid". So there's really no need to apologize for anything, but thank you nonetheless.

Hello Sm1simon,

We called the 1800 number, and they told us to write a letter to USCIS to correct the mistake. We are concerned that selecting "yes" to that question implies some additional fees and forms. So, my questions are;
1. Do you think this is a fixable mistake by sending a letter or at the interview?
2. Since the mistake implies more fees and forms, may it delay the process or deny our application?

I really appreciate any help you can provide.
1.Yes it is fixable at the interview.
2. How does the mistake imply more fees and forms? If you're referring to the second set of forms which you already sent in, yes you will have eventually run into problems that may further complicate your case as you cannot have two applications simultaneously filed on the same basis. Which is why I asked you to reach out to your bank again and request they cancel the payment for the 2nd package and hope they follow through this time around

2. How does the mistake imply more fees and forms? If you're referring to the second set of forms which you already sent in, yes you will have eventually run into problems that may further complicate your case as you cannot have two applications simultaneously filed on the same basis. Which is why I asked you to reach out to your bank again and request they cancel the payment for the 2nd package and hope they follow through this time around
Hello Sm1simon,

Thank you for your response.

1. No, it shouldn't cause any problem. Attend your interview with both passports
2. See the Timeline spreadsheet for DS260 submission and 2NL receipt
3. See the FAQ section of the AOS spreadsheet for different scenarios regarding the 2NL (one of those below):
Q: My AOS interview has been scheduled and I am yet to receive my 2NL (it's been over 2 (or several) months since I submitted my DS260), KCC is not being helpful when I contact them. What should I do?
A: Stop stressing over the 2NL. Attend your interview even if the 2NL never shows up. Your AOS application will not be denied simply because you do not have the 2NL (some AOSers who decide to not submit the DS260 do not get the 2NL, that hasn't impacted their cases).

p.s. number your questions if you have more than one in a post.
Thanks a lot!

Hello Sm1simon,

I am referring to the first package. We selected "yes" for question 11 (part 2 - page 4 - 10/15/19 edition). Instructions say to fill suppl. A. We corrected the mistake in the form in the second package.