• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2021 AOS Only

Thanks - that's super helpful! And yes I'll definitely watch the VB for the CN progression trend. Regardless, I imagine it will be a nervous couple of weeks since my number seems to be on the cusp based on historical acceptance trends.

Thanks again!

Make that a nervous couple of “months”, not weeks.

1. I don’t know, we don’t have any information regarding the total number of selectees to start with. And I generally try to avoid answering questions related to how high or low a CN is.
2. Question is rather vague. Depends on your current situation and why you wish to delay the submission.
3. You can edit in order to make corrections.

1. I understand.
2. I was not aware of this forum, so I started to fill DS260 as per the instructions given in travel.gov. since I've started it I don't want to submit it until my CN gets current. Currently, I'm in my OPT (going into STEM OPT in August). I believe I have enough time to go through AOS.
3. I was wondering whether I can switch to CP form AOS if needed?

1. I understand.
2. I was not aware of this forum, so I started to fill DS260 as per the instructions given in travel.gov. since I've started it I don't want to submit it until my CN gets current. Currently, I'm in my OPT (going into STEM OPT in August). I believe I have enough time to go through AOS.
3. I was wondering whether I can switch to CP form AOS if needed?

2. If going AOS route, you can wait as long as you want (as long as you’re aware that means your AOS 2NL from KCC will be delayed as well. Yes AOS 2NL is not a compulsory have, however most selectees who wait until the last minute to submit the DS260 form tend to start worrying about it after two weeks or so of waiting. Alternatively, you can keep an eye on the VB and watch CN progression trend to enable you decide on when to submit which may be within a month or two of your CN possibly becoming current).

3. Yes you can switch. You’ll need to contact KCC after submitting your DS260 to let them know you’re switching from AOS to CP. If going CP route, you don’t want to wait until your CN becomes current before submitting DS260 form. KCC needs enough time to process DS260 form and would need to have also received required documents before CP interview gets scheduled.

2. If going AOS route, you can wait as long as you want (as long as you’re aware that means your AOS 2NL from KCC will be delayed as well. Yes AOS 2NL is not a compulsory have, however most selectees who wait until the last minute to submit the DS260 form tend to start worrying about it after two weeks or so of waiting. Alternatively, you can keep an eye on the VB and watch CN progression trend to enable you decide on when to submit which may be within a month or two of your CN possibly becoming current).

3. Yes you can switch. You’ll need to contact KCC after submitting your DS260 to let them know you’re switching from AOS to CP. If going CP route, you don’t want to wait until your CN becomes current before submitting DS260 form. KCC needs enough time to process DS260 form and would need to have also received required documents before CP interview gets scheduled.

Thank you!! This is very informative. Keep up the good work!

Now the waiting starts.... :cool:

Hello everyone,
thank you for creating this platform as we need it. I got selected for this year's entry but I'm concerned about so many things. I would really appreciate if you guys can answer my questions:
1) My case number is 9100 (Africa), I know that it's a high number but in the bulletin, Africa is always current. Do you think I can be given an appointment before the end of fiscal year?
2) I'm an F-1 visa student and so I have to apply through AOS. I'm just confused because I'm hearing different versions: some say I should still submit the DS260 along with AOS, others say that I only have to do AOS (not the DS260), and my lawyer told me I should go with DS160 since it's for nonimmigrant. I'm just confused, can anyone here explain?
3) I got selected this year even though I used the same picture for the last year. I have been going through old forums and some say I will get disqualified during the interview (apparently the KCC don't disqualify for duplications, they flag the application to the consulate). While others are saying that they don't look into that a lot and I should be fine. I never thought I would be selected and you have no idea how happy I am (god knows how much I wanted it) but I couldn't sleep thinking I will be disqualified during the interview for using last year's picture.

I appreciate everyone helping with this, god bless you all

Hello everyone,
thank you for creating this platform as we need it. I got selected for this year's entry but I'm concerned about so many things. I would really appreciate if you guys can answer my questions:
1) My case number is 9100 (Africa), I know that it's a high number but in the bulletin, Africa is always current. Do you think I can be given an appointment before the end of fiscal year?
2) I'm an F-1 visa student and so I have to apply through AOS. I'm just confused because I'm hearing different versions: some say I should still submit the DS260 along with AOS, others say that I only have to do AOS (not the DS260), and my lawyer told me I should go with DS160 since it's for nonimmigrant. I'm just confused, can anyone here explain?
3) I got selected this year even though I used the same picture for the last year. I have been going through old forums and some say I will get disqualified during the interview (apparently the KCC don't disqualify for duplications, they flag the application to the consulate). While others are saying that they don't look into that a lot and I should be fine. I never thought I would be selected and you have no idea how happy I am (god knows how much I wanted it) but I couldn't sleep thinking I will be disqualified during the interview for using last year's picture.

I appreciate everyone helping with this, god bless you all

1. Are you AF91xx or AF91xxx - hard to tell from what you’ve written. And no, Africa is NOT always CURRENT.
2. You lawyer clearly doesn’t know ANYTHING about US immigration, considering they’re asking you to fill out form DS160 for an IV application. Go through the AOS process spreadsheet, linked to on the first post on page one of this thread for a step by step guidance.
3. This is why following instructions matters, right? You wouldn’t be dealing with this anxiety if you had. Anyway, so far, especially with AOS, I haven’t come across a denial based on old picture. The only picture related denial I know of has to do with the selectee having the “wrong” picture of the derivative on their eDV entry. I don’t know precisely what was wrong with the picture, the IO never said, but the derivative was denied.

1. Are you AF91xx or AF91xxx - hard to tell from what you’ve written. And no, Africa is NOT always CURRENT.
2. You lawyer clearly doesn’t know ANYTHING about US immigration, considering they’re asking you to fill out form DS160 for an IV application. Go through the AOS process spreadsheet, linked to on the first post on page one of this thread for a step by step guidance.
3. This is why following instructions matters, right? You wouldn’t be dealing with this anxiety if you had. Anyway, so far, especially with AOS, I haven’t come across a denial based on old picture. The only picture related denial I know of has to do with the selectee having the “wrong” picture of the derivative on their eDV entry. I don’t know precisely what was wrong with the picture, the IO never said, but the derivative was denied.

Thank you for answering so fast.
1) it's AF91XX, and yes you are right it's not always current. However, most of time it has a high number of CN but you're the pro so you tell me what you think
2)You are right, I should definitely change lawyer
3)You are right, I should have read the instructions (which I did but not all). My only fear is that I get denied during the interview for duplicated pictures. When you think about it, I should have gotten disqualified during the entry not after being told im selected? I'm trying to figure if I'm very lucky for the software not to detected or if I'm already detected and they just waiting on me in the interview to deny me. Also, what do you mean by the wrong derivative?
4) What can happen if I get denied? do I get deported or I can go back to my F-1 status?

On a last note, Sm1smom, thank you so much for taking the time to help us. I appreciate your efforts!

Since my wife and I both going to go through the AOS process,
1. do I need to file two i-485s?
2. do I need to pay $1225 twice (AOS fee)?

Thank you for answering so fast.
1) it's AF91XX, and yes you are right it's not always current. However, most of time it has a high number of CN but you're the pro so you tell me what you think
2)You are right, I should definitely change lawyer
3)You are right, I should have read the instructions (which I did but not all). My only fear is that I get denied during the interview for duplicated pictures. When you think about it, I should have gotten disqualified during the entry not after being told im selected? I'm trying to figure if I'm very lucky for the software not to detected or if I'm already detected and they just waiting on me in the interview to deny me. Also, what do you mean by the wrong derivative?
4) What can happen if I get denied? do I get deported or I can go back to my F-1 status?

On a last note, Sm1smom, thank you so much for taking the time to help us. I appreciate your efforts!

1. AF91xx is not considered high, even if chargeable to Egypt which tends to get throttled.
3. Nope, not right. Disqualification for re-using old photos doesn’t happen prior to selection, it doesn’t stop people from being selection. The penalty, if they decide to apply it, happens when you go for your interview. Nothing to do with luck or software detection.
4. You don’t get deported (if denied) provided you’ve not violated your current status prior to filing AOS. You simply revert back to that status in that case.

1. AF91xx is not considered high, even if chargeable to Egypt which tends to get throttled.
3. Nope, not right. Disqualification for re-using old photos doesn’t happen prior to selection, it doesn’t stop people from being selection. The penalty, if they decide to apply it, happens when you go for your interview. Nothing to do with luck or software detection.
4. You don’t get deported (if denied) provided you’ve not violated your current status prior to filing AOS. You simply revert back to that status in that case.

So the CO will surely detect the duplication during the interview? Are they able to make exceptions or not? Like can the CO acknowledge the duplication but still approve me??

So based on your #3 answer, you think it's unlikely for me to be denied for using a previous picture with AOS?

1. What I think is irrelevant. The only relevant thing is already shared, which is based on what I know to date.
2. I hate having to repeat myself - asking the same question in different ways will not elicit a response different from what has already been provided.

Hello!

I've got a CN AS 28,XXX. I am currently on F-1 STEM OPT that expires early July 2021. If I submit I-485 say June 2021 when AS is current, would I need to stop my employment when STEM OPT expires? Or will filing I-485 before that day allow me to continue working past that date on my probably EAD?

Thank you

Hello @Britsimon and @Sm1smom,

Thank you for this amazing thread and spreadsheet! It's like a light in the dark

I have one question and would be thankful if you could answer to it.

My husband and I applied to DV 21 and my application was selected. My husband on F1, and Im on F2 visas. I dont have permission to work in the US, so all our financial documents (bank accounts, statements from internship work and so on has only my husband. I have nothing, here in US. I'm sitting with our 3 years old child.

Can this cause a problem for us during AOS, since I'm the main applicant. Can you advise smth in my situation?

Thank you a lot!

Hello everyone,

My CN is AS34,xxx.

I fill out the DS-260 and submitted before I found this page and read the spreadsheet
In the spreadsheet said It might be a problem if fill out the DS-260 form to soon.

what should I do?

Hello!

I've got a CN AS 28,XXX. I am currently on F-1 STEM OPT that expires early July 2021. If I submit I-485 say June 2021 when AS is current, would I need to stop my employment when STEM OPT expires? Or will filing I-485 before that day allow me to continue working past that date on my probably EAD?

Thank you

Please note, there’s no guarantee AS region will be CURRENT come June 2021, your post comes across like that is always the case. So you should have a plan B of how to remain in status in order to file AOS in case your CN is not current by the time your current status is set to expire.

Now directly to your question, if your current status expires while your AOS package is pending, you’ll have to stop working unless you have another approved EAD on hand.

Hello everyone,

My CN is AS34,xxx.

I fill out the DS-260 and submitted before I found this page and read the spreadsheet
In the spreadsheet said It might be a problem if fill out the DS-260 form to soon.

what should I do?

There isn’t anything you can do, you can’t withdraw the submission. All you can really do is wait and watch the visa bulletin for when your number might be current.

Hello @Britsimon and @Sm1smom,

Thank you for this amazing thread and spreadsheet! It's like a light in the dark

I have one question and would be thankful if you could answer to it.

My husband and I applied to DV 21 and my application was selected. My husband on F1, and Im on F2 visas. I dont have permission to work in the US, so all our financial documents (bank accounts, statements from internship work and so on has only my husband. I have nothing, here in US. I'm sitting with our 3 years old child.

Can this cause a problem for us during AOS, since I'm the main applicant. Can you advise smth in my situation?

Thank you a lot!
Your financial situation will be looked at as a family.

Reactions: TZ&