• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2021 AOS Only

Hello @Britsimon and @Sm1smom,

I have already submitted my DS-260 online form to KCC, and actualy I`m confused to find out what to do to fix that problem.
Does anyone can help me pleas?
Thank you

Thanks for putting the spreadsheet together. I've read it all but it'll take a while for me to process everything. I was expecting the usual "NOT SELECTED" message so I've been caught a liittle off guard! I didn't realize how complicated it is when you're picked. But it's a nice problem to have after many failed entries ;)

I am in the US on an E2 so it looks like I'm eligible to apply for AOS. The gist of it seems to be that there aren't many disadvantages to AOS if you are eligible. It looks like my chances are better that way, since if I understand it correctly, I might be apply a few weeks early? I have CN EU29xxx so not super low.

I know that no one can say what the chances of success are, but can anyone give a broad sense of what usually happens - for instance, are there years when everyone who does all the right things gets a visa? Or is it inevitable that some of us will be cut off no matter how diligent we are?

Thanks for putting the spreadsheet together. I've read it all but it'll take a while for me to process everything. I was expecting the usual "NOT SELECTED" message so I've been caught a liittle off guard! I didn't realize how complicated it is when you're picked. But it's a nice problem to have after many failed entries ;)

I am in the US on an E2 so it looks like I'm eligible to apply for AOS. The gist of it seems to be that there aren't many disadvantages to AOS if you are eligible. It looks like my chances are better that way, since if I understand it correctly, I might be apply a few weeks early? I have CN EU29xxx so not super low.

I know that no one can say what the chances of success are, but can anyone give a broad sense of what usually happens - for instance, are there years when everyone who does all the right things gets a visa? Or is it inevitable that some of us will be cut off no matter how diligent we are?

You clearly can’t apply if your CN isn’t below the VB cutoff number, the process is not a slam dunk, it’s not a done deal until the approval happens and you actually get the GC. The unexpected can happen, another form of COVID-19 can happen leading to a shutdown, USCIS may be forced to close offices to the public. Go through the last couple of pages of the current DV 2020 AOS thread to get an idea of what the current selectees are faced with.

Also, I believe your selectee notification letter says more people are selected than are available visas, being selected does not guarantee getting a visa even if you’ve done everything right by the books. And yes, we’ve had years we’re visas were exhausted before the end of the FY.

What to do to fix what problem?

sorry, I wasn`t clear. I`m an International stundent here in the US, and I have been selected to the DV Lottery.The thing is, already submit my DS-260. That was the first step I have done, but I dont know if it`s the right way.?

sorry, I wasn`t clear. I`m an International stundent here in the US, and I have been selected to the DV Lottery.The thing is, already submit my DS-260. That was the first step I have done, but I dont know if it`s the right way.?

That’s the first step, however we usually advise against rushing to submit the form. You can make correction or changes to the form if you need to but you can’t withdraw the submission.

That’s the first step, however we usually advise against rushing to submit the form. You can make correction or changes to the form if you need to but you can’t withdraw the submission.
Thank you for your time, and your help.

alright, so in that time, what`s gonna happen after I submitted the DS-260?
what are the others steps following to this one?
I just want to be aware to avoid to make another mistake.

The google spreadsheet linked in the very first post of this thread has all the steps. They are even nicely numbered!

Thank you so much, that`s so nice from you :)

Are you going through AOS or CP? That’s usually the first decision prior to submitting the DS260 form.

Hi @Sm1smom and @Britsimon, so grateful of all the effort you've put into helping others; especially that wonderful spreadsheet!

My husband and I filed our application together and our case number is AS11XXX. We're currently under J1 and J2, which expire on July 31, 2020 (really soon!). We're strongly considering doing AoS, but not sure if there is a way to stay in status for the whole process. I called the USCIS and was advised to file the I-485 as soon as possible as it would extend our status.

My questions:
1. Is it true that we will not be out of status as long as we file the I-485 while we are in status (before July 31, 2020)?
2. Is it wise to file this early since filing this would demonstrate an immigration intent? Or would CP be a better option?

Thanks so much in advance for your advice!

Hi @Sm1smom and @Britsimon, so grateful of all the effort you've put into helping others; especially that wonderful spreadsheet!

My husband and I filed our application together and our case number is AS11XXX. We're currently under J1 and J2, which expire on July 31, 2020 (really soon!). We're strongly considering doing AoS, but not sure if there is a way to stay in status for the whole process. I called the USCIS and was advised to file the I-485 as soon as possible as it would extend our status.

My questions:
1. Is it true that we will not be out of status as long as we file the I-485 while we are in status (before July 31, 2020)?
2. Is it wise to file this early since filing this would demonstrate an immigration intent? Or would CP be a better option?

I know you're not asking me but, were you selected to DV 2021? Because if it is, you cant submit any application to AOS until your case number is current, and you have to wait until visa bulletin is release (it start in October 2021 for the new Fiscal Year)
If you can't extend you legal presence in USA after July 31, i think your option would be CP.

This is a fantastic page and source of information - thank you for maintaining it.

I am currently in the US on a E3 (non immigrant intent visa). My E3 visa expired at the end of May and due to Covid instead of following the usual process of leaving the country to obtain a new Visa, my employer filed an in country extension (which is still pending). Im currently on "implied status" pending the extensions approval.

Once the extension is approved, do you know if the 90 day rule for filing an adjustment of status applies from when I last entered the US (December 2019), from when the extension was filed OR when it was approved? I have a low CN (less than 100) and want to make sure i have everything organized as soon as possible with out jepordizing either my work authorisation or GC chances. Not sure given the nuances if it is worth getting legal advice?

Thank you!!!!!

My questions:

If your current status is set to expire next month with no other means of extending it, you will not be AOS eligible as you will already be out of status by the time your CN becomes current.

1. Not true, you were misinformed by whoever you spoke with - they didn’t seem to know the fact that your FY has not started, and that you can’t file prior to your CN being listed as current on the VB.

2. Demonstrating an immigrant intent early is not what you should be concerned with in this case. Your only option right now is CP.

This is a fantastic page and source of information - thank you for maintaining it.

I am currently in the US on a E3 (non immigrant intent visa). My E3 visa expired at the end of May and due to Covid instead of following the usual process of leaving the country to obtain a new Visa, my employer filed an in country extension (which is still pending). Im currently on "implied status" pending the extensions approval.

Once the extension is approved, do you know if the 90 day rule for filing an adjustment of status applies from when I last entered the US (December 2019), from when the extension was filed OR when it was approved? I have a low CN (less than 100) and want to make sure i have everything organized as soon as possible with out jepordizing either my work authorisation or GC chances. Not sure given the nuances if it is worth getting legal advice?

Thank you!!!!!

90 day rule not applicable, you’re already in the US. The only thing you need to worry about is the approval. If it goes through, you become AOS eligible. If it gets denied, you can’t file AOS. And you can’t file also while the extension filing is pending as you currently have no status to adjust from while the extension request is pending.

This forum is amazing! Thanks so much for all of the help.

I have a similar question to the last post. I entered on an E3 which expires at the end of June and can't currently renew due to the consulate situation. However, my I-94 is valid through the end of 2021 and my employer's lawyers extended the LCA until the end date of the I-94 (also the end of 2021). They are saying that the E3 end date is just the last date that is allowed for entry on the visa but that the LCA and I-94 determine when I am allowed to stay and work until.

I have an OC number 12xx which seems high so imagine I won't be able to apply for a status adjustment until early 2021. As the by that time I'll technically be well past the date written on my E3 does that mean I can't do an adjustment of status? Or does the fact that I entered on a valid E3 and have abided by the dates of the LCA an I-94 mean that I am still technically on the E3 and can do an adjustment of status in early 2021? Also - given that my number appears to be on the high side, I assume I should wait until my number becomes current before I do my DS-260 so as not to jeopardize my chances of applying for a new E3?

Thanks in advance for any insight you might have!

Thank you for all the information you provide.
1. My CN is AS17xxx is this high or low?
2. How long can I keep my DS260 without submitting (until my CN gets current)
3. Is it possible to restart/redo DS260?

Thanks
CH

This forum is amazing! Thanks so much for all of the help.

I have a similar question to the last post. I entered on an E3 which expires at the end of June and can't currently renew due to the consulate situation. However, my I-94 is valid through the end of 2021 and my employer's lawyers extended the LCA until the end date of the I-94 (also the end of 2021). They are saying that the E3 end date is just the last date that is allowed for entry on the visa but that the LCA and I-94 determine when I am allowed to stay and work until.

I have an OC number 12xx which seems high so imagine I won't be able to apply for a status adjustment until early 2021. As the by that time I'll technically be well past the date written on my E3 does that mean I can't do an adjustment of status? Or does the fact that I entered on a valid E3 and have abided by the dates of the LCA an I-94 mean that I am still technically on the E3 and can do an adjustment of status in early 2021? Also - given that my number appears to be on the high side, I assume I should wait until my number becomes current before I do my DS-260 so as not to jeopardize my chances of applying for a new E3?

Thanks in advance for any insight you might have!

1. Your employer’s lawyers are correct in terms of the E3 stamp explanation - the expiration date on it is no longer relevant if you’re already in the US and are not planning on exiting any time soon. That document is basically for admission purpose. The I-94 is what determines how long you’re admitted for.

2. You can wait until your CN becomes current before the DS260 submission as long as you’re aware that means your AOS 2NL from KCC will be delayed as well. Yes AOS 2NL is not a compulsory have, however most selectees who wait until the last minute to submit the DS260 form tend to start worrying about it after two weeks or so of waiting. Alternatively, you can keep an eye on the VB and watch CN progression trend to enable you decide on when to submit which may be within a month or two of your CN possibly becoming current.

1. Your employer’s lawyers are correct in terms of the E3 stamp explanation - the expiration date on it is no longer relevant if you’re already in the US and are not planning on exiting any time soon. That document is basically for admission purpose. The I-94 is what determines how long you’re admitted for.

2. You can wait until your CN becomes current before the DS260 submission as long as you’re aware that means your AOS 2NL from KCC will be delayed as well. Yes AOS 2NL is not a compulsory have, however most selectees who wait until the last minute to submit the DS260 form tend to start worrying about it after two weeks or so of waiting. Alternatively, you can keep an eye on the VB and watch CN progression trend to enable you decide on when to submit which may be within a month or two of your CN possibly becoming current.

Thanks - that's super helpful! And yes I'll definitely watch the VB for the CN progression trend. Regardless, I imagine it will be a nervous couple of weeks since my number seems to be on the cusp based on historical acceptance trends.

Thanks again!

Thank you for all the information you provide.
1. My CN is AS17xxx is this high or low?
2. How long can I keep my DS260 without submitting (until my CN gets current)
3. Is it possible to restart/redo DS260?

Thanks
CH

1. I don’t know, we don’t have any information regarding the total number of selectees to start with. And I generally try to avoid answering questions related to how high or low a CN is.
2. Question is rather vague. Depends on your current situation and why you wish to delay the submission.
3. You can edit in order to make corrections.