• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2021 AOS Only

Hello everyone,

My CN is AS34,xxx.

I fill out the DS-260 and submitted before I found this page and read the spreadsheet
In the spreadsheet said It might be a problem if fill out the DS-260 form to soon.

what should I do?
There isn’t anything you can do, you can’t withdraw the submission. All you can really do is wait and watch the visa bulletin for when your number might be current.
Hi,
What is the problem exactly with filing DS-260 early? can you please share the link to the spreadsheet that describes the problem with submitting early DS-260. I read in the spreadsheet that the sooner we send the sooner we will get 2NL.
Thank you very much!

guys do you know if the USCIS (through AOS) are more lenient than U.S. embassy in our countries in terms of interviews? I know it's very general but based on the experiences you heard about, what do you think? Thank you

Hi,
What is the problem exactly with filing DS-260 early? can you please share the link to the spreadsheet that describes the problem with submitting early DS-260. I read in the spreadsheet that the sooner we send the sooner we will get 2NL.
Thank you very much!

You didn’t come across the below statement on the spreadsheet?:

“Fill out Form DS-260 Online to confirm your decision to proceed with your DV selection (Highly recommend not rushing into submitting the DS-260 form if your CN is high. A submitted DS-260 demonstrates an immigration intent which may be difficult to overcome if your CN does not become current and you need to renew your visa or apply for a new NIV)

I have a relatively high case number (EU29xxx) and I am in the US on an E2. I usually travel back to my own country around Christmas time for a few weeks. I'm beginning to realize now that it might not be safe to do that if I want to use AOS. I'm not too worried about any risk when renewing my E2 because I renewed it last year for 5 years. But I'm worried about jeopardizing my DV visa chances.

1. Given my case number, should I even be considering filing the DS-260 anything before January anyway?

2. Even assuming I don't have a problem with the DS-260 (either because I decide not to submit it yet, or I do submit it but the CBP don't care), would I be putting my DV chances at risk by entering the US in January and filling for AOS soon after that? Would my recent arrival on a NIV cause a problem?

I'd gladly give up my usual trip back this year if it improves my chances for the DV. But it's hard to know if it makes any difference. I know there's technically always a risk of not being admitted in January but I'm not worried about the usual risk, since it's always there regardless and is usually very low for me. I'm just concerned with minimizing any possible risk to getting a DV GC. Thanks!

guys do you know if the USCIS (through AOS) are more lenient than U.S. embassy in our countries in terms of interviews? I know it's very general but based on the experiences you heard about, what do you think? Thank you

Lenient in what sense? Is there a specific issue with your case you’re worried about?

I have changed my mailing (current) address since the DV lottery application.
Can this be a problem or I should simply indicate the new address when filling the documentation?

I have a relatively high case number (EU29xxx) and I am in the US on an E2. I usually travel back to my own country around Christmas time for a few weeks. I'm beginning to realize now that it might not be safe to do that if I want to use AOS. I'm not too worried about any risk when renewing my E2 because I renewed it last year for 5 years. But I'm worried about jeopardizing my DV visa chances.

1. Given my case number, should I even be considering filing the DS-260 anything before January anyway?

2. Even assuming I don't have a problem with the DS-260 (either because I decide not to submit it yet, or I do submit it but the CBP don't care), would I be putting my DV chances at risk by entering the US in January and filling for AOS soon after that? Would my recent arrival on a NIV cause a problem?

I'd gladly give up my usual trip back this year if it improves my chances for the DV. But it's hard to know if it makes any difference. I know there's technically always a risk of not being admitted in January but I'm not worried about the usual risk, since it's always there regardless and is usually very low for me. I'm just concerned with minimizing any possible risk to getting a DV GC. Thanks!

1. You can safely wait until after January to submit your DS260.

2. Going by historic precedent, I don’t see your CN becoming current in January or February, so you should be ok.

However, I would recommend going with your gut-feelings. If you’re highly concerned (understandable especially given the current administration’s anti-immigration actions), forgo the December trip for this year.

I have changed my mailing (current) address since the DV lottery application.
Can this be a problem or I should simply indicate the new address when filling the documentation?

The old address doesn’t matter. Use your new address on your DS260 going forward.

Thank you so much for the amazing thread! I am here to ask a question on behalf of my friend who won the DV 2021.
She's currently holding an F-1 visa and her CN is AS33,XXX.

I know that she's worked without the authorization by mistake before. She was on CPT with one company (had a valid I-20) and then also working at another company at the same time. I guess working at another company is unauthorized employment? From the excel spreadsheet, it said that undertaking unauthorized employment would cause her to be ineligible for the AOS.

In this case, should I just tell her that she doesn't need to proceed with this and just go back home instead?

Hi @Sm1smom
I was just wondering, how does the number of selectees that gets released towards the end of the year help us determine if a person's CN is high or not? I'm sure it does, its just that i can't seem to figure if more selectees for my region means that my CN of AS33XXX is high or low and vise versa.

Thank you so much for the amazing thread! I am here to ask a question on behalf of my friend who won the DV 2021.
She's currently holding an F-1 visa and her CN is AS33,XXX.

I know that she's worked without the authorization by mistake before. She was on CPT with one company (had a valid I-20) and then also working at another company at the same time. I guess working at another company is unauthorized employment? From the excel spreadsheet, it said that undertaking unauthorized employment would cause her to be ineligible for the AOS.

In this case, should I just tell her that she doesn't need to proceed with this and just go back home instead?

Yes, she’s barred from filing AOS.

Hi @Sm1smom
I was just wondering, how does the number of selectees that gets released towards the end of the year help us determine if a person's CN is high or not? I'm sure it does, its just that i can't seem to figure if more selectees for my region means that my CN of AS33XXX is high or low and vise versa.

Go through Simon’s Historical Visa Bulletin And How to read the VB write-ups for a better understanding.

I’m an F1 student, with an OPT that expires July 2021. Based on my case number OC7** my number is expected to be called around December/January.
  1. Can I apply for AOS when I’m on OPT status?
  2. Once I apply for adjustment of status will it affect my current OPT - can I continue working?
  3. Should I submit form I-765 with my AOS package? Will this extend my OPT status passed July 2021?
    • Or can I submit this later (separate from AOS package) in say April 2021 if my case hasn’t been determined yet?
      • (I am not eligible for OPT-STEM extension)

I’m an F1 student, with an OPT that expires July 2021. Based on my case number OC7** my number is expected to be called around December/January.
  1. Can I apply for AOS when I’m on OPT status?
  2. Once I apply for adjustment of status will it affect my current OPT - can I continue working?
  3. Should I submit form I-765 with my AOS package? Will this extend my OPT status passed July 2021?
    • Or can I submit this later (separate from AOS package) in say April 2021 if my case hasn’t been determined yet?
      • (I am not eligible for OPT-STEM extension)

1. Yes.
2. Submitting the AOS package does not automatically extend your current work authorization. You’ll have to stop work while your AOS filing is pending unless you have an approved EAD.
3. You can include the I765 with your AOS package, again applying does not automatically extend current EAD. If it gets approved before GC is approved, you use the AOS based EAD card to work in the interim.

1. Yes.
2. Submitting the AOS package does not automatically extend your current work authorization. You’ll have to stop work while your AOS filing is pending unless you have an approved EAD.
3. You can include the I765 with your AOS package, again applying does not automatically extend current EAD. If it gets approved before GC is approved, you use the AOS based EAD card to work in the interim.

Thank you for the advice, I really appreciate your time. Just to clarify - my current EAD for my OPT will become invalid once I file AOS? and therefore I will have to file I-765 to receive a new EAD?

Thank you for the advice, I really appreciate your time. Just to clarify - my current EAD for my OPT will become invalid once I file AOS? and therefore I will have to file I-765 to receive a new EAD?

No, current EAD will not become invalid because of AOS filing. The expiration date of your current OPT based EAD does not preclude you from filing an AOS based EAD. The approved AOS based EAD is simply a back up work authorization in the event your current OPT based EAD expires while AOS filing is still pending.

Lenient in what sense? Is there a specific issue with your case you’re worried about?

Yes I'm mostly worried about the fact I used the last year's picture (because I had a long meeting the day I was supposed to take my picture). On the website it says you get automatically denied but is this a rule they are following? I saw in different forums people saying that this would kill your chances but I haven't seen someone who actually experienced it. My lawyer told me he would help me with this process. so yeah basically tryna see if I still got a chance of winning this despite anything and if there's anything I can do to remedy the situation.

Yes I'm mostly worried about the fact I used the last year's picture (because I had a long meeting the day I was supposed to take my picture). On the website it says you get automatically denied but is this a rule they are following? I saw in different forums people saying that this would kill your chances but I haven't seen someone who actually experienced it. My lawyer told me he would help me with this process. so yeah basically tryna see if I still got a chance of winning this despite anything and if there's anything I can do to remedy the situation.
As I recall the photo question already got answered here.

Please ask your lawyer how much diversity visa AOS experience he has? Most don’t have any or hardly any, because there just aren’t a lot of people who do it, and the vast majority who do don’t use lawyers. We have however seen a number of people here who’ve had their cases messed up by lawyers who don’t know the difference between DV and other AOS processes. In my opinion unless you have a complication like a criminal record, a lawyer is at best just a waste of money for this, at worst will actually end up costing you a green card.

As I recall the photo question already got answered here.

Please ask your lawyer how much diversity visa AOS experience he has? Most don’t have any or hardly any, because there just aren’t a lot of people who do it, and the vast majority who do don’t use lawyers. We have however seen a number of people here who’ve had their cases messed up by lawyers who don’t know the difference between DV and other AOS processes. In my opinion unless you have a complication like a criminal record, a lawyer is at best just a waste of money for this, at worst will actually end up costing you a green card.

I’m guessing same lawyer that asked her to fill out form DS160 in place of the DS260.