• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2021 AOS Only

Thank you for that, Mom!!!

Guys… Please someone tell me there’s a forum like this one, with mom and susie, for that process!!!!!!
No, you don’t need a forum. go look at the n400 instructions. It’s pretty straightforward, assuming you pay taxes and don’t do crime.

No, you don’t need a forum. go look at the n400 instructions. It’s pretty straightforward, assuming you pay taxes and don’t do crime.

It’s more because I’m gonna miss you, tbh, and all excuses are good to virtually “hang out” with you again!

USEFUL TIP/ PARTING GIFT
Hey folks, with the end of your DV FY fast approaching, figured I should share one more parting tip to those who are still on this thread. For those planning on filing for citizenship later on, your 5 year eligibility window will open before you realize it. So it is not too early to start preparing for it now, especially for those traveling out as soon as they got approved to go see loved ones they've not seen for a while. Create a file for tracking your trips, it could be something as simple as a spreadsheet such as this:

DEPARTURE DATEARRIVAL DATETRIP DURATIONDESTINATION COUNTRYADDITIONAL NOTES / COMMENTS
10/01/202011/30/202058 DAYSFRANKFURT, GERMANYFAMILY
01/08/202101/29/202120 DAYSBOGOTA, COLOMBIASELF
08/27/202112/15/2021109 DAYSLONDON, UKCHILD #2 (Study Abroad)

Or as complicated (detailed) as you like. You may decide to track each family members trip separately on a different tab of your spreadsheet (for those with family members who often travel separately), as against tracking everyone's trip on the same tab such as above. It's your call. Just make sure you keep track of your trips, doing so will make your life easier when the time to file for citizenship comes around.

Congratulations again to all those who already got approved. All the best to those still waiting, don't loose hope, it is not yet over. Like the saying goes: "It ain't over till the fat lady sings"!
Really useful, thank you

Congrats to everyone who received their green cards.
I was also one of the lucky ones and I got my green card in the mail few weeks ago. Today while I was checking my online account to see if there is an option to withdraw the OPT application that was filed online in July. My status says a card is being produced. I am not sure what to do. Like how can they issue me an EAD card when I am a permanent resident. Doesn’t the system gets updated. I would appreciate any advise on what to do in this situation

Congrats to everyone who received their green cards.
I was also one of the lucky ones and I got my green card in the mail few weeks ago. Today while I was checking my online account to see if there is an option to withdraw the OPT application that was filed online in July. My status says a card is being produced. I am not sure what to do. Like how can they issue me an EAD card when I am a permanent resident. Doesn’t the system gets updated. I would appreciate any advise on what to do in this situation
do nothing, why do you care about your EAD now? Your EAD application should be denied because you are no longer eligible.

Last edited:
Anyone has experience doing interview with "authorized representative" ? Can a family member be the one?

Anyone has experience doing interview with translator? Do you need g1256 singed in advance?

Anyone has experience doing interview with "authorized representative" ? Can a family member be the one?

Anyone has experience doing interview with translator? Do you need g1256 singed in advance?
I was allowed to translate for my wife during our interview. Even though, our interviews were supposed to be conducted separately.

@Sm1smom I got my I-485 approved. Thank you a lot for all the helpful information throughout this journey.
I have a question though. Before my interview I applied change of status H4 to F1 for my wife as she arrived US on September 1, 2021 and we didn't have much time for filing her I-485. Now her change of status is pending. I am worried what happens if the change of status is denied? Will the unlawful presence accrual start from the day when her H4 was invalid or the day when the change of status is denied?

@Sm1smom I got my I-485 approved. Thank you a lot for all the helpful information throughout this journey.
I have a question though. Before my interview I applied change of status H4 to F1 for my wife as she arrived US on September 1, 2021 and we didn't have much time for filing her I-485. Now her change of status is pending. I am worried what happens if the change of status is denied? Will the unlawful presence accrual start from the day when her H4 was invalid or the day when the change of status is denied?
Congratulations on your AOS approval. Unfortunately for your wife, if the COS is denied, her unlawful presence accrual will be from when her H4 became invalid.

Congratulations on your AOS approval. Unfortunately for your wife, if the COS is denied, her unlawful presence accrual will be from when her H4 became invalid.

Mom, I believe that although overstay will accrue from the day the H4 i94 ends, unlawful presence only starts accruing from the date of denial.

What if I file for change of status on time but USCIS does not make a decision before my I-94 expires?
Your lawful nonimmigrant status ends and you are out of status when your Form I-94 expires, even if you have timely applied
to change your nonimmigrant status.
Generally, as a matter of discretion, USCIS will defer any removal proceedings until after
the petition is adjudicated and USCIS decides your change of nonimmigrant status request. Nevertheless, DHS may bring a removal proceeding against you, even if you have an application for change of status pending.
Even though you are not actually in a lawful nonimmigrant status, you do not accrue “unlawful presence” for purposes of inadmissibility under section 212(a)(9)(B) of the Act, while your change of status application is pending if it was filed prior to the expiration of your Form I-94.
If your application for a change of status is approved, the change of status will relate back to the date your Form I-94 expired, and your status during the pendency of your application will then be considered to have been lawful.
If your application is denied, you may be required to depart the United States immediately.

Hello everyone
We submitted RFE transcripts , payments receipt, scheduled as evidence for maintenance status, however we submitted unofficial transcripts and I want to know if they have to be official and stamped.... thanks

Hello everyone
We submitted RFE transcripts , payments receipt, scheduled as evidence for maintenance status, however we submitted unofficial transcripts and I want to know if they have to be official and stamped.... thanks
My IO asked for official transcripts. Hopefully, yours will accept the transcripts you sent.

I just got an email from Nashville FO that they accepted my expedite request, although it has not changed online. They say they will give a decision in 30 days. It will be too late.
What are the chances of doing even the interview and the FO just let the case sit over there without approving it and ultimately denied as it after 09/30?

Mom, I believe that although overstay will accrue from the day the H4 i94 ends, unlawful presence only starts accruing from the date of denial.

What if I file for change of status on time but USCIS does not make a decision before my I-94 expires?
Your lawful nonimmigrant status ends and you are out of status when your Form I-94 expires, even if you have timely applied
Generally, as a matter of discretion, USCIS will defer any removal proceedings until after
the petition is adjudicated and USCIS decides your change of nonimmigrant status request. Nevertheless, DHS may bring a removal proceeding against you, even if you have an application for change of status pending.
Even though you are not actually in a lawful nonimmigrant status, you do not accrue “unlawful presence” for purposes of inadmissibility under section 212(a)(9)(B) of the Act, while your change of status application is pending if it was filed prior to the expiration of your Form I-94.
If your application for a change of status is approved, the change of status will relate back to the date your Form I-94 expired, and your status during the pendency of your application will then be considered to have been lawful.
If your application is denied, you may be required to depart the United States immediately.
Yeah Susie, I believe you are correct.

@bhanu_sigdel - please see Susie's response and disregard mine.

I just got an email from Nashville FO that they accepted my expedite request, although it has not changed online. They say they will give a decision in 30 days. It will be too late.
What are the chances of doing even the interview and the FO just let the case sit over there without approving it and ultimately denied as it after 09/30?
Yes that is what will happen IF your background check fails to clear by 9/30 COB (which is not the same as just letting "the case sit over there").

Thank you for the information @SusieQQQ @Sm1smom