• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2021 AOS Only

Because of pandemic social security offices are not taking in person appointment and are required to mail in or use the drop box providing them with the original documents.
Check with your local office, some are taking brief in person appointments for people who need to update their SS info.

I need help with my Social Security Number (SSN)

We are prioritizing requests for in-person SSN services for:

• Individuals age 12 or older applying for their first SSN card.
  • Individuals who need to update or correct their SSN information (such as your name, date of birth, or citizenship) to obtain income, resources, or medical care or coverage, or other services or benefits (for example filing a tax return, applying for housing, or seeking an Economic Impact Payment).
If you believe you qualify for an in-person appointment, call your local office. You can look up the phone number for your local office by accessing our office locator. Please note that appointments may not be immediately available, depending on local health and safety conditions and staffing.

Last edited:
Good morning,

I contacted the Embassy and even though the FTJ case only has 1 month since my interview (August 31st) they told me they could not do anything before DHS sends the I-824 to the embassy after USCIS approves my case. Should I e-mail the USCIS officer that is going to interview me and inform her that I will be doing a FTJ and ask her if I can bring the I-824 and give it to her at the interview?

Thank you very much!
The response from the embassy is accurate. Nothing can be done or initiated with the FTJ until you have at least been approved. Do you have the IO's email address?

@Sm1smom , I have a question, please.

When I submitted my package, I filed i485, i765, i131.
You know when the IO approves the case, he approves i485 only.

So when my application I-485 gets approved, do I need to go to SSN to issue social security number, or will be mailed to me automatically?

Best,,,
Yes, you will need to apply for the SSN, it will not be automatically sent to you. Only those who used the new I-485 which addresses SSN request will get sent the SSN card automatically going forward.

Hello guys,

Yesterday I and my wife had our interview at the Queens Field Office. We arrived 15 minutes before the appointment. After the security check-in we headed to the Queens Field Office. The guard at the entrance asked us to turn off our cellphones and then we have been accommodated in the waiting room. After 10 minutes the officer called our names and we had our interview. After the oath the officer asked us for the original version of birth certificates, high-school degree, university degrees, and marriage certificate. Then she went through the questions in the i-485 form.

After the interview she told us that everything was looking good, and that probably she was able to process our cases on the same day, or by the end of the week at the latest.

Few hours later we saw the update "New Card Is Being Produced" in the USCIS tracker (which previously was stuck on "Fingerprints Fee Received"). It has been a very long and stressful journey, but now we can finally start a new chapter of our life.

Thank you to the community for the incredible support provided during the entire process, with a special thanks to Mom and Susie for their relentless assistance and patience.

I wish you all the best!
Congratulations.

The response from the embassy is accurate. Nothing can be done or initiated with the FTJ until you have at least been approved. Do you have the IO's email address?
I do, she is very kind. Do you think it would be a good idea to ask for her help with this?

Hi guys!
I want to share my experience. Today was my interview (the interview notice was received in my attorney’s office. I never received the lL). I arrived 1 hour before the interview( It was in Houston) I passed the checking and I received a number that was called 30 minutes after for the officer. I just went with my 2 oldest children because my husband is Working outside of the US (he is a sailor) and my 3rd child is American. I am F1 and my 2 kids are F2. The officer asked me for ALL my I-20 and transcripts ( I had everything) she checked carefully every I-20 with my transcripts ( everything was ok), after that she asked me about personal information from the I-485 and Y/N questions. At the end I signed the form and she told me that she will do doblecheck and if she needs any other information o evidence she will contact me with a letter that will arrive in few weeks to my home. I assumed that she checked everything because she didn’t have more questions, and my documents were completed. I felt that she was looking something wrong, but I had all my supports and evidences. Now, I am checking my case online, but I don’t see any updates yet. Someone had the same experience? I want to know if it is normal!!! Thank you guys.

Hi guys!
I want to share my experience. Today was my interview (the interview notice was received in my attorney’s office. I never received the lL). I arrived 1 hour before the interview( It was in Houston) I passed the checking and I received a number that was called 30 minutes after for the officer. I just went with my 2 oldest children because my husband is Working outside of the US (he is a sailor) and my 3rd child is American. I am F1 and my 2 kids are F2. The officer asked me for ALL my I-20 and transcripts ( I had everything) she checked carefully every I-20 with my transcripts ( everything was ok), after that she asked me about personal information from the I-485 and Y/N questions. At the end I signed the form and she told me that she will do doblecheck and if she needs any other information o evidence she will contact me with a letter that will arrive in few weeks to my home. I assumed that she checked everything because she didn’t have more questions, and my documents were completed. I felt that she was looking something wrong, but I had all my supports and evidences. Now, I am checking my case online, but I don’t see any updates yet. Someone had the same experience? I want to know if it is normal!!! Thank you guys.

If you mean is it normal to not see any updates in your case status, then yes. Some people see their case approved soon after the interview, others have to wait days or weeks.

Could you add your info to the timelines spreadsheet?

Hi guys!
Many AOSers go through same situation. The fact that IO is not ready to make a decision @ the interview is something completely out of our control. The IO might have his/her own reasonings (waiting for BG check, KCC file, willing to review everything one more time, etc.) And YES they might say that you'll receive a letter in mail in case something else is needed (which does not necessarily mean your documents are not complete! That might simply be a typical answer provided)
So, just take your time for now and wait for the following update.

Good Luck

Question: My case status has not been updated since they got my fee back in June. Not after the bio, not after getting the interview scheduled.
If my interview were to be rescheduled to the hurricane, and wondering if there had been experiences like this in the past, when would they let me know or how? I assume they do not work on the weekends? My interview is next Monday at 8:30am and the only personal experience I have with rescheduling was for my friends marriage GC interview, as hers got rescheduled for Mardi Gras but they let her know through a phone call and through the case status a few weeks in advance, and I understand it cannot be the case with a storm we are getting updates by the minute.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as I try to prepare not only for this interview (praying it still happens) but also for my (maybe) first ever hurricane (praying it does NOT happen).

Thank you all and apologies if this comes off as over-worrying (I admit I am scared, and yes, in a hurricane situation the interview should be the least of my concerns or priorities, I know that. But as of now, here we are and I am for now factoring that in.)

Question: My case status has not been updated since they got my fee back in June. Not after the bio, not after getting the interview scheduled.
If my interview were to be rescheduled to the hurricane, and wondering if there had been experiences like this in the past, when would they let me know or how? I assume they do not work on the weekends? My interview is next Monday at 8:30am and the only personal experience I have with rescheduling was for my friends marriage GC interview, as hers got rescheduled for Mardi Gras but they let her know through a phone call and through the case status a few weeks in advance, and I understand it cannot be the case with a storm we are getting updates by the minute.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as I try to prepare not only for this interview (praying it still happens) but also for my (maybe) first ever hurricane (praying it does NOT happen).

Thank you all and apologies if this comes off as over-worrying (I admit I am scared, and yes, in a hurricane situation the interview should be the least of my concerns or priorities, I know that. But as of now, here we are and I am for now factoring that in.)
Usually USCIS updates office closures in case of inclement weather. You can try to check on the website before going to the FO. If it is closed they will automatically reschedule your appointment.

Maybe other folks may have other insights.

Best of luck!

Usually USCIS updates office closures in case of inclement weather. You can try to check on the website before going to the FO. If it is closed they will automatically reschedule your appointment.

Maybe other folks may have other insights.

Best of luck!
Right! For now it is open but we also have very little information. I assume that website also updates throughout the weekend then? Thank you!

If it’s last minute they will probably call you.

If it’s last minute they will probably call you.
It hits Sunday afternoon, normally if there is no power outage the office will be open Monday morning. Don't worry, USCIS is in Down Town.

View attachment 2935

Thank you!! I will stay on the lookout as much as possible and, hopefully, this will be a non issue y'all can scold me about on Monday afternoon!
This group legit is a life-(and sanity)-saver!

Interview Update

Field Office: Reno, NV
Interview date: 08/24/2021
Interview time: 7:30am

Interview was quick and easy overall.

I am the DV selectee and my wife and daughter are the derivatives. We have two other young kids (2yrs and 5 months olds) who are USC’s. It’s a 4hr drive from where we live to the field office and so we arrived in Reno on the evening of the 23rd. We took along our two USC kids as we did not have anyone to leave them with. On the morning of the 24th, we arrived at the Field Office at approximately 7:20 and were met at the entrance by a security officer. He asked to check our interview letters. He spotted that my wife’s interview and that of my daughter’s were scheduled for later times (8:30 and 10:30 respectively) in the day but I explained to him we were a family and so he was okay with that and wondered why they gave us different times. He took our IDs (passports), went inside and then returned. He said we were good to come inside and had no problems with us coming in with our two USCs. He had me read some covid questions that had been pasted on the entrance door to make sure my answers were “no” for everyone in the family. They were the usual questions about experiencing cough and what not symptoms. The security officer then led us through the entrance door to the security check point where checking mimicked airport security checks. After completing that, we were asked to be seated in a waiting room. I left our interview letters at a window in the waiting room as was instructed by the security and the letter was picked up by the interview officer a couple of minutes after. He then called us to his office to begin the interview.

Before diving into questions, he mentioned that he didn’t have a whole lot of questions. He said they had not handled many DV cases historically but knew DV gets prioritized quickly. He mentioned that he knew that visas were available and so that was not a problem. He had us stand to do the oath and then he went through questions about our physical address, whether I was still working with the company I had on the form, which organizations we were part of and then the yes/no questions. He said all was good and that he would go into the system and update. I mentioned that my last name had been misspelled and he noted that. I also gave him recent paystubs, bank account statements and a copy of my daughter’s new birth certificate which had a correction. I also mentioned we had not done biometrics yet and then he said that’s the most important one and so he quickly arranged for us to do our biometrics. The Reno ASC is in the same building and so he took us over to get that done. The IO didn’t ask to see any originals; he just had us append our signatures on the forms after the questions.

All in all, we were in and out in about an hour between the interview and the biometrics. Biometrics went fine with no issues and was quick too. Just before we left the office, I asked the IO when to expect feedback and he said biometrics usually clears in 48hr; he had everything he needed but will send an RFE if he needed anything more. Everyone there was so nice and polite. Our statuses have not changed yet (still finger fee received) but we wait patiently and are confident we’ll see approval soon. Will update the group as soon as our statuses change.

Apologies for making this long but I hope the details may be useful to someone as other experiences shared on here have been useful to us. Thanks to everyone on this forum and thanks to @Sm1smom and @SusieQQQ for their great efforts. Also thanks to @yaw199 … we live in the same area and luckily from the same country and so we have been in constant touch monitoring progresses of each other.
Did the IO ask for the paystubs or did you volunteer to give the paystubs?