• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2021 AOS Only

thank you so much mom. I have a question, I'm filing the ds260 and it's asking for my kcc case number and passport but I recently changed my passport, so the passport number associated with my DV application is different. Do I put my old or new passport number?? I really appreciate it mom

Please use your discretion.

Hi Mom,
I have questions regarding filling form I-944:

1) Part 3, item 1: I am the only one making income in my household. I filled the required info about me in item 1.A. My wife is on F-2 and is not allowed to work (no income) nor needs to file taxes. Do I include here information in Part B?

2) Part 3, item 12: I have a credit report but these do not show the credit score. Can I submit my credit statement from my bank which shows the credit score?

3) Part 3, item 15(D): Do I need to answer this question if I already indicated that I have health insurance in item 15?

4) Part 3, item 17: Do I need to answer this question if I selected that I haven't received any public benefits in item 16?

I apologize for the long list but this form is kind of confusing. I made sure to read all instructions before asking you. Truly appreciate all the help, Mom!

Hello,

How long does it take to receive 2nd notification letter after filling DS-260 nowadays? My number is EU6**. Should I wait for the letter to arrive before I get my medical exam? Thanks!

1. Could be anywhere between 2 weeks to several months.
2. 2NL has no bearing on when the medical exam can or should be completed. Go through the AOS process spreadsheet if you haven’t done so already.

Hi Mom,
I have questions regarding filling form I-944:

1) Part 3, item 1: I am the only one making income in my household. I filled the required info about me in item 1.A. My wife is on F-2 and is not allowed to work (no income) nor needs to file taxes. Do I include here information in Part B?

2) Part 3, item 12: I have a credit report but these do not show the credit score. Can I submit my credit statement from my bank which shows the credit score?

3) Part 3, item 15(D): Do I need to answer this question if I already indicated that I have health insurance in item 15?

4) Part 3, item 17: Do I need to answer this question if I selected that I haven't received any public benefits in item 16?

I apologize for the long list but this form is kind of confusing. I made sure to read all instructions before asking you. Truly appreciate all the help, Mom!

1. She has no income to report, so shouldn’t be listed.
2. Contact Experian or TransUnion for a credit report - they come with the credit score.
3. Question 15 says “If you answered "No" to Item Number 15., proceed to Item D.” - you should be able to figure that out based on this.
4. Q17 is tied to if you answered yes to Q16. There’s nothing to disenrolled or withdraw from if you’ve never applied or received ....

Honestly speaking, those questions are not so confusing, they are not trick questions, they just need to be related to another as you go through the form.

Hello , so i was looking at the visa bulletin page ...for upcoming visa bulletin section it has october 2020 ....and when i click on it and go to section C ..advanced cutoff numbers ..it shows the cutoff numbers for November ( AS 2800) . My number is 26XX. Does this mean i can utilize early file now. OR do i have to wait till october 1st?....confused!

Hello , so i was looking at the visa bulletin page ...for upcoming visa bulletin section it has october 2020 ....and when i click on it and go to section C ..advanced cutoff numbers ..it shows the cutoff numbers for November ( AS 2800) . My number is 26XX. Does this mean i can utilize early file now. OR do i have to wait till october 1st?....confused!
you were directed to find the right answer before, here are the links if you don't remember
link 1
link2

Go through the AOS Process Spreadsheet like you've already been directed to! It is for your own good.

Go through the AOS Process Spreadsheet like you've already been directed to! It is for your own good.
I read through and I understand theres a risk..but confusion is this, which is not mentioned inthe FAQ or the memo. We are in september but they have already released the visa bulletin for october with november cuttof as well. So do i have to wait for that month to utttilize the bulletin OR is there a specific date the october bulletin gets activated

I read through and I understand theres a risk..but confusion is this, which is not mentioned inthe FAQ or the memo. We are in september but they have already released the visa bulletin for october with november cuttof as well. So do i have to wait for that month to utttilize the bulletin OR is there a specific date the october bulletin gets activated

As soon the October bulletin is published (in September), and your CN is below the October cutoff or the November cutoff, then you have the option to file immediately (i.e. September). You do not have to wait until October. This is called the Advanced Filing option. This is described in the example that rabey and Mom shared with you earlier. Use the Advanced Filing at your own discretion as there is a risk as Mom keeps emphasizing.

Use the Advanced Filing at your own discretion as there is a risk as Mom keeps emphasizing.
Also, it's best to wait at least the Fiscal year starts (Oct 1st) before you submit your package because the risk is much higher if you file your application before the fiscal year start.

Hi!

I got selected for DV2021 and I’m debating if I should go with AOS or CP. I’m currently working in NY with O-1 visa, and it’ll expire in March 2021. My case number is 2021AS00012XXX. My questions are...

1. Is it too risky to do AOS since my number isn’t that low?
2. Do I have to renew my current o-1 one more time?
3. How soon can I resume working if I go with CP?

I appreciate all of comments and advices.

Hi!

I got selected for DV2021 and I’m debating if I should go with AOS or CP. I’m currently working in NY with O-1 visa, and it’ll expire in March 2021. My case number is 2021AS00012XXX. My questions are...

1. Is it too risky to do AOS since my number isn’t that low?
2. Do I have to renew my current o-1 one more time?
3. How soon can I resume working if I go with CP?

I appreciate all of comments and advices.

Your visa expires or your i94 expires? What do you mean by renew, a new visa in your home country or extension of status? Answers to 1 & 2 partly depend on these clarifications.
3. If you go with CP you become a LPR with full work authorization the day you enter the US with your immigrant visa.

Your visa expires or your i94 expires? What do you mean by renew, a new visa in your home country or extension of status? Answers to 1 & 2 partly depend on these clarifications.
3. If you go with CP you become a LPR with full work authorization the day you enter the US with your immigrant visa.

My i94 and current visa for the US expires the end of March. My concern is what happens after my current visa expires. I do still want to work in the US while I’m waiting for DV lottery process but my number isn’t that low. It looks like 12000 is usually around July for my area. (2020 was quicker and it was March.)

My i94 and current visa for the US expires the end of March. My concern is what happens after my current visa expires. I do still want to work in the US while I’m waiting for DV lottery process but my number isn’t that low. It looks like 12000 is usually around July for my area. (2020 was quicker and it was March.)

You certainly can’t remain in the US and keep working once your I-94 expires. You will not only be out of status, when your cn becomes current, you’ll also be ineligible to file AOS as a result of being out of status.

So.. would you try extend status? The potential issue with this is the gap between i94 end and approval of an extension of status (EOS) application, when you are technically not in status, so don’t have a status to adjust from. So if you do not think you will be able to submit an AOS package before your i94 expires, you will have to decide whether it is better to (1) wait until you have approval of EOS and valid status before being able to adjust; (2) return home and await your visa number to become current.

My understanding from the FAM is that O is regarded as dual intent for these purposes - so it shouldn’t be a problem to extend the O and then adjust status: https://fam.state.gov/fam/09FAM/09FAM040213.html
9 FAM 402.13-5(B) Effect of Filing Immigrant Visa Petition
DHS has determined that the approval of a permanent labor certification or the filing of a preference petition for an alien shall not be a basis for denying an O-1 or O-3 petition, a request to extend such a petition, or the alien’s application for admission, change of status, or extension of stay.

Seems the risk here would be the unpredictable length of time it takes to approve EOS, before you could send in your i485. Could be close and risky at fiscal year end. Whereas going home might leave you with a few months (no way now to know if that will be the case or how long it might be) of doing nothing but waiting for an interview.

when i did my masters (after 5 years in the US as F1) ..my tax was done by a thirdparty..in one tax transcript i saw that it says Hope scholarship or AOT credit claimed -- YES . Is this problem?

Last edited:
problem in term of what?
Claiming education tax credit ( Hope Scholarship - life time learning) ..I have read online that f1 students cant claim or something like that and also some places it says if you have stayed more 5 years you are condisdered a resident alien and therofre eligible for education tax credit ..wanted to confirm as I could not find a solid answer on this..

Claiming education tax credit ( Hope Scholarship - life time learning) ..I have read online that f1 students cant claim or something like that and also some places it says if you have stayed more 5 years you are condisdered a resident alien and therofre eligible for education tax credit ..wanted to confirm as I could not find a solid answer on this..
Are you in Georgia?