• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2021 AOS Only

Hi, I have two questions regarding DS-260. Just a brief background: I'm an F1 student and will adjust my status here in the U.S.. My husband has returned to the home country after his F1 OPT grace period ended therefore he will interview at the consulate (follow-to-join).
  1. There is a question asking if "your spouse is immigrating to the U.S. with you" and a follow-up question if "your spouse is immigrating to the U.S. at a later date to join you." I believe, as the principal applicant, my answer to these questions would be "No; Yes." However, how should my husband answer these questions?
  2. I understand that as an AOSer, I will have to replace my SSN card once my GC is approved. My husband also has a restricted SSN. Does he need to request a new SSN card on his DS-260?
Thank you in advance!

1. It really doesn’t make a difference how your husband answers the first part since he’s processing FTJ which requires you to have already migrated before he can even proceed. So I see no harm in his answering “NO”
2. Anyone with a restricted SSN, is encouraged to get a replacement unrestricted card upon becoming a LPR. If your husband what’s the replacement process initiated in advance, he can answer “Yes”. If he wants to handle the process on his own, he can answer “NO”. Again, there’s no right or wrong answer here.

I am doing my Ph.D. here in the US. F1 visa status. I obtain F1 visa 2-3 years ago and still have 2 years of visa.

I have another question: Before sending AoS documents to USCIS, can I travel to my country and back to the US? It seems that my case will not be current until 2-3 months, I was planning to visit my family.

Yes you can travel, as long as you’re aware admission or readmission to the US is never guaranteed as it is always at the discretion of the CBP.

Hi Mom,
I have a few questions about form I-485 filling. I am on F1 visa doing AOS.

1) Part I, I selected option 22.a since I entered on F1 visa. I entered in the space provided: "F1 (Student)". Then question 23.c asks about my status on I-94. What is the difference between this and 22.a? Should I also input "F1 (Student) for 23.c?

2) Part 1, item 24: I am still on F1 visa right now but I obtained OPT-STEM authorization. Does this mean that my immigration status changed and that I should write F1 (OPT-STEM) in this space? or should I write "N/A" since I am still on F1 visa?

3) Part 3, item 6.b: if I still live at this place, do I write "present" or should I write today's date?

4) Part 5, items 11.a-16.c. If this part is not applicable to me, should i leave it blank or write N/A everywhere?

5) Part 8. I have a speeding ticket on my record. It says that I was "Convicted" and found "Guilty" on my record. Should I disclose this information along with the court record? If so, which item should I select in Part 8; item 25 or item 27? I read in the instructions that I do not need to submit documentation with regard to traffic fines (of less than $500). Mine is $80. Do you recommend submitting anyways?

Thanks always for your help Mom! Sorry for the long list.

Hi Mom,
I have a few questions about form I-485 filling. I am on F1 visa doing AOS.

1) Part I, I selected option 22.a since I entered on F1 visa. I entered in the space provided: "F1 (Student)". Then question 23.c asks about my status on I-94. What is the difference between this and 22.a? Should I also input "F1 (Student) for 23.c?

2) Part 1, item 24: I am still on F1 visa right now but I obtained OPT-STEM authorization. Does this mean that my immigration status changed and that I should write F1 (OPT-STEM) in this space? or should I write "N/A" since I am still on F1 visa?

3) Part 3, item 6.b: if I still live at this place, do I write "present" or should I write today's date?

4) Part 5, items 11.a-16.c. If this part is not applicable to me, should i leave it blank or write N/A everywhere?

5) Part 8. I have a speeding ticket on my record. It says that I was "Convicted" and found "Guilty" on my record. Should I disclose this information along with the court record? If so, which item should I select in Part 8; item 25 or item 27? I read in the instructions that I do not need to submit documentation with regard to traffic fines (of less than $500). Mine is $80. Do you recommend submitting anyways?

Thanks always for your help Mom! Sorry for the long list.

1. Put whatever is shown on your I-94 on 22c. They're trying to see the correlation between the status you're claiming to have entered with (22a) and the status you were actually admitted in (22c) - for most people these are exactly the same.

2. Still F1, you haven't changed from one NI status to a new NI status.

3. "Present"

4. You can write N/A from 11a to 16c or write "N/A" on just 11a-c and leave the rest blank if you like.

5. Yes, you need to answer yes to both 25 and 27, one says have you EVER been cited (you couldn't have been found guilty if you were not never cited), and the other one says have you EVER been convicted or pled guilty. Documentation is not required in this case, but have it on hand for when you go for your interview, just in case.

You can’t rectify that BUT the email confirmation you received is good enough as evidence of having made the administrative fee payment.
Mom! My postal money order status is cashed however I didn't receive any email confirmation about my payment from DoS/KCC, is there anything to worry about here? I've included a stamped return envelope.
Thanks!

Mom! My postal money order status is cashed however I didn't receive any email confirmation about my payment from DoS/KCC, is there anything to worry about here? I've included a stamped return envelope.
Thanks!

You need to make sure you're reading my response or that of others within the context of the questions in which those responses have been provided. Do just read a posted response and start freaking out right away. You didn't receive an email confirmation because you included a SAE with your payment. The person that got the email confirmation did not include a SAE with their payment, hence the email confirmation from KCC. Your payment receipt will be sent to you with the SAE you included with your payment.

hello everyone, i have a basic question here; i was told that Ds260 is to set up immigrant visa appointment overseas and that I should use uscis forms to apply for adjustment of status. I know that on the forms it says it's recommended but idk why. can anyone here explain to me please? and would it affect me if I don't submit it? I would really appreciate that

hello everyone, i have a basic question here; i was told that Ds260 is to set up immigrant visa appointment overseas and that I should use uscis forms to apply for adjustment of status. I know that on the forms it says it's recommended but idk why. can anyone here explain to me please? and would it affect me if I don't submit it? I would really appreciate that
See the Spreadsheet "AOS FAQs" #6,7,8.

1. Put whatever is shown on your I-94 on 22c. They're trying to see the correlation between the status you're claiming to have entered with (22a) and the status you were actually admitted in (22c) - for most people these are exactly the same.

2. Still F1, you haven't changed from one NI status to a new NI status.

3. "Present"

4. You can write N/A from 11a to 16c or write "N/A" on just 11a-c and leave the rest blank if you like.

5. Yes, you need to answer yes to both 25 and 27, one says have you EVER been cited (you couldn't have been found guilty if you were not never cited), and the other one says have you EVER been convicted or pled guilty. Documentation is not required in this case, but have it on hand for when you go for your interview, just in case.

Thanks,Mom! YOU ARE THE BEST!

hello everyone, today I'm paying for DOS $330 through cashier's check and it's the first time I use the cashiers check but I don't know how to do this:

On the check, it only has the amount, the receiver and my name and address, There's no area on the check for me to put my case number. So do I just take the check, print and fill out this page (https://travel.state.gov/content/tr...m-entry/adjustment-of-status-fee-payment.html) then put them together and mail them to the address on there?? I really appreciate the help here

hello everyone, today I'm paying for DOS $330 through cashier's check and it's the first time I use the cashiers check but I don't know how to do this:

On the check, it only has the amount, the receiver and my name and address, There's no area on the check for me to put my case number. So do I just take the check, print and fill out this page (https://travel.state.gov/content/tr...m-entry/adjustment-of-status-fee-payment.html) then put them together and mail them to the address on there?? I really appreciate the help here
You should include a self stamped/address envelope to get back the paid receipt.

hey thanks for answering, yes I know but I was wondering if I'm supposed to write all the information that are on this page (https://travel.state.gov/content/tr...m-entry/adjustment-of-status-fee-payment.html) on the back of the check (because there's no place to write case number)? or print that form fill it out, put the check and self stamped envelope and mail it?
if you see a memo space, then you should write the case number in there. if not you can write somewhere in the front or back except the places it clearly says do not write anything.

Hello,

How long does it take to receive 2nd notification letter after filling DS-260 nowadays? My number is EU6**. Should I wait for the letter to arrive before I get my medical exam? Thanks!

Fill and print out the form (or vice versa) and include it with the check.
thank you so much mom. I have a question, I'm filing the ds260 and it's asking for my kcc case number and passport but I recently changed my passport, so the passport number associated with my DV application is different. Do I put my old or new passport number?? I really appreciate it mom

also before submitting the ds260 there's a pdf i opened (bc it says I have to read before submitting) it's a NOTICE OF DUTY TO REGISTER WITH U.S. SELECTIVE SERVICE SYSTEM and says :"If you are a man and are between 18 and 25 years old when you enter the United States, you must register with the U.S. Selective Service System within 30 days after you enter the United States. If you are required to register, do so promptly. You cannot register after you reach age 26. Registration is for conscription into military service in an emergency mobilization of the armed forces. There is no conscription at this time. To register, go to the nearest United States Post Office, obtain a registration form, fill in the information requested and hand the completed form to the postal clerk. Within 90 days you should receive a Registration Acknowledgement postcard from Selective Service. If you do not hear from Selective Service within this period, it is important that you contact Selective Service to verify your registration status. You may use the telephone number listed below for this purpose. Failure to register with the Selective Service System is a serious crime in the United States, punishable by imprisonment for up to 5 years and a fine of not more than $250,000. In addition, you may be denied employment with the Federal Government and you may be denied financial aid for college"

What do I do with this? can I ignore it or do I have to submit it?

also before submitting the ds260 there's a pdf i opened (bc it says I have to read before submitting) it's a NOTICE OF DUTY TO REGISTER WITH U.S. SELECTIVE SERVICE SYSTEM and says :"If you are a man and are between 18 and 25 years old when you enter the United States, you must register with the U.S. Selective Service System within 30 days after you enter the United States. If you are required to register, do so promptly. You cannot register after you reach age 26. Registration is for conscription into military service in an emergency mobilization of the armed forces. There is no conscription at this time. To register, go to the nearest United States Post Office, obtain a registration form, fill in the information requested and hand the completed form to the postal clerk. Within 90 days you should receive a Registration Acknowledgement postcard from Selective Service. If you do not hear from Selective Service within this period, it is important that you contact Selective Service to verify your registration status. You may use the telephone number listed below for this purpose. Failure to register with the Selective Service System is a serious crime in the United States, punishable by imprisonment for up to 5 years and a fine of not more than $250,000. In addition, you may be denied employment with the Federal Government and you may be denied financial aid for college"

What do I do with this? can I ignore it or do I have to submit it?
Are you a man between 18 and 25?