• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2021 AOS Only

Hello there,

I have won the 2021 DV lottery from Egypt-Africa region.
I live now in US on a J-1 research scholar visa and I wanna go through the AOS process.
But I am afraid that this may too much time compared to the consular pathway, and I may lose my chance if I did not get my interview before September 2021!
Can someone guide me through this?
I have a very complicated situation.

Thanks in advance,
zoomy

Hello there,

I have won the 2021 DV lottery from Egypt-Africa region.
I live now in US on a J-1 research scholar visa and I wanna go through the AOS process.
But I am afraid that this may too much time compared to the consular pathway, and I may lose my chance if I did not get my interview before September 2021!
Can someone guide me through this?
I have a very complicated situation.

Thanks in advance,
zoomy

What complication(s) do you have? We can’t guide you as needed without having any idea of what the complicated situation is.

Ok!

My number is between 26,000 and 27,000.

1. I am on J-1 visa (Research) which is exempt from the 2 year-home rule. But I am a physician and I will be switched into (J-1 clinical) next July, this type of visa necessitate a waiver or a two-year back home.
Is there any chance so I can get the green card before July, 2021?

2. My wife is here with me but she is on B2 Visa
and her stamp will expire next November. Should we apply for an extension?
and If so, best case scenario she will get another 6 months till April! Is this enough?

What is the timeline for the process if I decided to go through AOS instead of the consular pathway?

Heads up to selectees on student visas planning on processing AOS as this information may impact your AOS processing plans.

The current administration is planning on asking international students whose schools/colleges are switching over to online studies for the fall semester to depart from the US and attend classes online from their home countries or anywhere else outside the US. Those who refuse to depart risk facing deportation. So in order to remain in the US, you guys may want to look into programs that requires in-person classes now.

International students may need to leave US if their universities transition to online-only learning

This is helpful.
I think it does not apply in my situation, as I am working full time as a research assistant not a student.

Hi everyone,

Here is a question about the birth certificate. I just realized that the birth certificate issued by my home country (Italy) expires after 6 months. Anyone else in the same situation? Due to the time frame between the certificate request and the interview date my birth certificate will likely expire. If this would be the case, should I ask for another one later during the process? This option looks very odd to me but I don't see what else I should do.

Ok!

1. I am on J-1 visa (Research) which is exempt from the 2 year-home rule. But I am a physician and I will be switched into (J-1 clinical) next July, this type of visa necessitate a waiver or a two-year back home.

and If so, best case scenario she will get another 6 months till April! Is this enough?

What is the timeline for the process if I decided to go through AOS instead of the consular pathway?

Region? And try to be more specific with the actual CN without necessarily disclosing the entire number, e.g AS267xx, AF269xx, etc

Hi everyone,

Here is a question about the birth certificate. I just realized that the birth certificate issued by my home country (Italy) expires after 6 months. Anyone else in the same situation? Due to the time frame between the certificate request and the interview date my birth certificate will likely expire. If this would be the case, should I ask for another one later during the process? This option looks very odd to me but I don't see what else I should do.

USCIS will not take the expiration date listed by your home country into consideration, so not a problem for US immigration purpose.

Ok!

Actually you got it right
It’s AF269xx

1. I don’t see the possibility of your getting your GC by July judging by your CN. Admittedly we don’t know the total number of selectees as of now, there’s the possibility of your CN not becoming current before June or even July as a matter of fact.

2. Assuming your wife files for and gets the extension, (which I’m skeptical about), she most likely will be out of status by the time your CN becomes current. She should have applied for a J-2 in the first place instead of visiting you on a B1/B2.

edit: I just re-read your previous post where it says you’re chargeable to Egypt. I think it is fair to say your CN isn’t likely to become current before July, it may be close to August actually. Egypt gets throttled.

So, you think my best shot is to go back to Egypt by April and get it through the consular pathway from the US Embassy out there, right?

So, you think my best shot is to go back to Egypt by April and get it through the consular pathway from the US Embassy out there, right?

If you’re going to already be out of status by the time your CN becomes current, CP will be your only option.

By the way, I edited my last post to indicate your CN may not even become current before August since you’re chargeable to Egypt. Your CN progression will not follow the rest of Africa, Egypt gets throttled. We may have a better idea when the total number of selectees gets released. For now, I suggest you hold off on submitting your DS260 form.

@Zoomy just underlying what mom said about your wife’s status. Why isn’t she on J2? I think you /she is skating on thin ice having her try extend her stay on B2, there is a very high chance (partly due to the long process and mostly due to her not being on the correct visa) of her going out of status trying to do this. You don’t want the complications involved with that.

Hello people,

So idk if you heard about how theres a risk for F-1 students who are taking fully online classes may have to leave the country. That is honestly freaking me out and i don't know what to do. Should I try and take whatever hybrid class I can find? Please help...

Actually she applied for a J-2 and she has a DS-2019, but due to COVID-19 her interview got canceled twice. We were pushed to this, it was not a choice.

Hello people,

So idk if you heard about how theres a risk for F-1 students who are taking fully online classes may have to leave the country. That is honestly freaking me out and i don't know what to do. Should I try and take whatever hybrid class I can find? Please help...

It helps to read previous posts or follow the ongoing conversations as against popping in and out when one has a question, you know?

Anyway read this post and follow the link in it for more info.

Heads up to selectees on student visas planning on processing AOS as this information may impact your AOS processing plans.

The current administration is planning on asking international students whose schools/colleges are switching over to online studies for the fall semester to depart from the US and attend classes online from their home countries or anywhere else outside the US. Those who refuse to depart risk facing deportation. So in order to remain in the US, you guys may want to look into programs that requires in-person classes now.

International students may need to leave US if their universities transition to online-only learning

Here’s the actual News Release from ICE regarding this new development

Actually she applied for a J-2 and she has a DS-2019, but due to COVID-19 her interview got canceled twice. We were pushed to this, it was not a choice.
Well if you do decide to file an i539 it should probably be for change of status to J2 not extending the B2, then.

Also I understand what you are saying, but “We were pushed to this, it was not a choice” doesn’t cut it with US immigration authorities as an excuse for overstaying or otherwise not abiding with the rules. Many people have had travel and visa plans scuppered by Covid. When she entered, was she upfront with CBP about why she was coming to the US?