• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2021 ALL SELECTEES

Congratulations to all dv 2021 winners hope you best of luck and keep watch on this forum as it helps much and consult with those who knows the process better.
I was DV 2020 winners and I get my visa in January also this year my buddy got selected, Case number 2021AF00037xxx
the initial entry of dv 2021 the passport is required to enter the registration and in my country a person must shows why he/she needs the passport.
1.My friend did not enter the passport and after the selection he has a good reason to get one.
Did this result in automatic disqualification from the process or there little hope enen though this is the first year since this process is effective immediately after dv 2020 ends.

Hello Everyone, my case number is: 2021SA000012XX

I am an international student on a F1 Visa (1 more year till I finish my program in April 2021). Yesterday I found out that I've been selected for a Diversity Visa (Green card Lottery). My question is the following:

I have a relatively high case number (looking at previous years my number may become available in the visa Bulletin at around May 2021). Nevertheless, I am doubting on when to submit my DS-260/I-485 depending if I go through "Consular Processing (CP)" or "Adjustment of status (AOS)" as I will need to apply for OPT next year. In my career we have to apply to "The Match" in December (2020) so that next year we will have a Residency (work in my field) starting at around July of the following year (in this case July 2021). So I do not know if submitting the previously mentioned documents too early could negatively impact my chances to obtain OPT or a H1-B visa (inmigration intent, because I won the Lottery).

What should I do? When should I submit my paperwork for the diversity visa? Will I have any issues with getting my OPT/H1-B visa? Should I use Adjustment of Status or Consular Processing? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

One more question: If I decide to go through Consular Processing instead of AOS, do I need to stay all the time in my homecountry? If I can get all the required documents (family can help) can I just do my normal life and then travel back to my homecountry just for the interview dates? (2-3)

Hello, my child was selected for DV2021. CN# AS00005xxx.

Current status is F1 visa, finishing Freshman year.

My concern is if they opt for AOS (california center) and adjudication is not done by 30th September, (or denied) will the child have to leave US or can they fall back on F1 and continue studying on a legal status.

If they can fall back on F1 as a valid status, does any application need to be filed?

Thnx
@DV21 please see the AoS thread https://forums.immigration.com/threads/dv-2021-aos-only.342993/
and have your child read and understand the spreadsheet linked in the first post of that. It takes time, don’t rush it. So you can understand the process. Your questions are all answered and misconceptions addressed (California center has nothing to do with DV) in there. Anything still unclear can ask a question in the thread.

To those asking about CP vs AOS, suggest you too read this spreadsheet in depth to understand the process. Each of those approved has its pros and cons and which is better depends on your own unique situation. Example @SimonTemplar86 you asked which is fastest - CP is usually faster (not always) but it can be disruptive to your situation in the US to do it.

edit: whoops, I just saw mom already addressed these. Sorry for repeat!

Last edited:
Congratulations to all dv 2021 winners hope you best of luck and keep watch on this forum as it helps much and consult with those who knows the process better.
I was DV 2020 winners and I get my visa in January also this year my buddy got selected, Case number 2021AF00037xxx
the initial entry of dv 2021 the passport is required to enter the registration and in my country a person must shows why he/she needs the passport.
1.My friend did not enter the passport and after the selection he has a good reason to get one.
Did this result in automatic disqualification from the process or there little hope enen though this is the first year since this process is effective immediately after dv 2020 ends.
What did your friend enter in the part of the entry form that asked for passport details? Did he claim one of the exceptions or use made up information?

I don't know if your number is high or not but I believe you should send your DS-260 anyway, even if they don't call you for interview, because in case of your future selection (with low case number in next years) they might consider you unserious for playing, getting selected and not sending your application for further processing. I know this happened to somebody earlier..
Total nonsense. sorry to be so blunt. There is no penalty for not following through with DV or any other immigration process and yes, I speak from personal experience on this one.

@SusieQQQ My friend is a winner and he mistankely put his surname twice whlie entering the details (He put surname as a middle name. Will that be a problem ? His confirmation page have his surnamw twice one after another.

One more question: If I decide to go through Consular Processing instead of AOS, do I need to stay all the time in my homecountry? If I can get all the required documents (family can help) can I just do my normal life and then travel back to my homecountry just for the interview dates? (2-3)
You will need to decide on your own which is better. For CP you will need to do the medical exam in your home country too as well as wait for passport return after interview. even assuming all goes smoothly with this, you should allow for at least two and preferably 3 weeks for this - at a time you won’t be able to choose (you get scheduled for interview when it works for the consulate, you don’t choose the date like for a non immigrant interview). Some consulates return passports a couple of days after interview, others take 1-2 weeks. Medicals generally need to be done about a week before, some countries 2 weeks before.

@SusieQQQ My friend is a winner and he mistankely put his surname twice whlie entering the details (He put surname as a middle name. Will that be a problem ? His confirmation page have his surnamw twice one after another.
See mom’s response above to the question about the nickname used as middle name.

Total nonsense. sorry to be so blunt. There is no penalty for not following through with DV or any other immigration process and yes, I speak from personal experience on this one.
I am sure you're more experienced with DV details than I am. That's why I said to ask some other well known members who are more experienced with immigration details. But I remember very well reading about someone who applied for DV, got selected, then not following through due to personal reasons and later applied for another visa when he was told that DV lottery is not a joke and was handed visa denial. Maybe that was a single unfortunate case. I am certainly not trying to scare anyone rather to open people's eyes to explore all the possible outcomes bcz people got rejected for silly reasons. So it's better to know in advance what to do. Anyway, hope for the best outcome for this and all other selectees.

You will need to decide on your own which is better. For CP you will need to do the medical exam in your home country too as well as wait for passport return after interview. even assuming all goes smoothly with this, you should allow for at least two and preferably 3 weeks for this - at a time you won’t be able to choose (you get scheduled for interview when it works for the consulate, you don’t choose the date like for a non immigrant interview). Some consulates return passports a couple of days after interview, others take 1-2 weeks. Medicals generally need to be done about a week before, some countries 2 weeks before.

Thank you very much for answering my second question.

Could you please help me with the first one please? About the timing? Should I do nothing and wait until after I get an OPT to begin dealing with the Change of Status?

Selectees do not get penalized for not following up on previously selection. This is not true! Whoever told you they got penalized for not following up on a previous selection lied to you, they did not tell you the real reason for their denial (I’m assuming the person got denied).

Ok. I see I created confusion here. I just shared what I read earlier so if that person was lying then I shared a lie too. Sorry about that. Best of luck to all selectees in their further processings! P.S. Maybe it's best to delete my last comments to not create further confusion. Thanks.

Last edited:
I am sure you're more experienced with DV details than I am. That's why I said to ask some other well known members who are more experienced with immigration details. But I remember very well reading about someone who applied for DV, got selected, then not following through due to personal reasons and later applied for another visa when he was told that DV lottery is not a joke and was handed visa denial. Maybe that was a single unfortunate case. I am certainly not trying to scare anyone rather to open people's eyes to explore all the possible outcomes bcz people got rejected for silly reasons. So it's better to know in advance what to do. Anyway, hope for the best outcome for this and all other selectees.

No, people do not get rejected for “silly reasons”. Everything is clearly defined in law.
You don’t seem to know much about the case you talk about or even what type of visa was supposedly being applied for so I’m not going to speculate about actual reasons for denial.

Congratulations all 2021 winners . Please listen always to the experts here , as they speak and guide others from years if personal experiences they had . Also don't rush in sending your DS260 to avoid issues or mistakes and end up having troubles later . It is a very long process , you need to be careful in your steps and be patient .

Thank you very much for answering my second question.

Could you please help me with the first one please? About the timing? Should I do nothing and wait until after I get an OPT to begin dealing with the Change of Status?
AOS thread is the appropriate place for that discussion. In the past we’ve found it confuses a lot of people if AOS questions get discussed on the general thread as the process is quite different.

The story makes sense, but your assessment of why the case was denied was incorrect.

Filing a DS260 is a declaration of immigrant intent, entering the lottery without filing is not. However, sometimes a CO will also ask whether the person has played the lottery, and sometimes even take that into consideration. That isn't strictly accurate but the CO is assessing a number of factors. When the CO said it was not a joke, and denied the case, it was probably due to deciding the person would have tried to overstay their NIV. Failing to prove ties to the home country, or assure the CO that someone will abide by the terms of the NIV is the single largest cause of denial of those cases (NIV cases). The previous entry would have been one factor (not the only, but one factor) in that denial - but it has nothing to do with "not being serious" or anything like that. And advising people to always file the DS260 to avoid the not being serious situation is really bad advice.

The story makes sense, but your assessment of why the case was denied was incorrect.

Filing a DS260 is a declaration of immigrant intent, entering the lottery without filing is not. However, sometimes a CO will also ask whether the person has played the lottery, and sometimes even take that into consideration. That isn't strictly accurate but the CO is assessing a number of factors. When the CO said it was not a joke, and denied the case, it was probably due to deciding the person would have tried to overstay their NIV. Failing to prove ties to the home country, or assure the CO that someone will abide by the terms of the NIV is the single largest cause of denial of those cases (NIV cases). The previous entry would have been one factor (not the only, but one factor) in that denial - but it has nothing to do with "not being serious" or anything like that. And advising people to always file the DS260 to avoid the not being serious situation is really bad advice.

Thanks for reply @Britsimon I didn't advise anyone to file the DS260. I was very specific (please read my earlier post again). I specifically said "I believe you should send your DS-260 anyway"... and then I said to "ask some other well know members who are more experienced with immigration details to confirm this". Just shared the info I read sometime ago to warn people about that particular situation.

No, people do not get rejected for “silly reasons”. Everything is clearly defined in law.
You don’t seem to know much about the case you talk about or even what type of visa was supposedly being applied for so I’m not going to speculate about actual reasons for denial.

Here in comments section you can read about many silly reasons people got rejected their visa application (not related to DV) The law doesn't matter to them.

~ ~ Moderator edited post ~ ~
~ ~ Non-DV related link removed ~ ~

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for reply @Britsimon I didn't advise anyone to file the DS260. I was very specific (please read my earlier post again). I specifically said "I believe you should send your DS-260 anyway"... and then I said to "ask some other well know members who are more experienced with immigration details to confirm this". Just shared the info I read sometime ago to warn people about that particular situation.

Telling the OP “I don't know if your number is high or not but I believe you should send your DS-260 anyway, even if they don't call you for interview,” is the same as “advising” Yes you followed up by also saying OP may want to wait for others with a better understanding of the process to chime in, nonetheless you did “advise” on DS260 submission.