• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2021 ALL SELECTEES

Hi
My father (DV21 winner) arrived in USA on 26th. Could I know how he can track physical green card status? Is there any way to track SSN ?

Hi
My father (DV21 winner) arrived in USA on 26th. Could I know how he can track physical green card status? Is there any way to track SSN ?
We arrived during last week of Sep, it took 6 days for our SS cards and about 7 weeks for GC. Kids arrived Monday before Thanksgiving and SS bungled their applications. I called them (SS office) 2 weeks ago and they were very helpful once I was able to speak to someone (about 45 minutes hold). They scheduled an in person appointment for mid-February are our closest SS-office. The kids GC's are arriving on Saturday, got USPS notification today.

Hello, my initiation trip was done on 29th October 2021 and to date I have received my GC. I also applied for the SSN as part of the DS 260, however I have not received my SS card yet? has anyone had this experience with SS in covid times? OR Can someone advise what I can do? the hotline I called said there she cannot find my record. Any advise given I would appreciate. I really need to open a bank account and CC.

Last edited:
Hello, my initiation trip was done on 29th October 2021 and to date I have received my GC. I also applied for the SSN as part of the DS 260, however I have not received my SS card yet? has anyone had this experience with SS in covid times? OR Can someone advise what I can do? the hotline I called said there she cannot find my record. Any advise given I would appreciate. I really need to open a bank account and CC.
We had the same issue. Call your local social security office (number will be on their website) and book an appointment.

At the appointment you bring your GC and a Social Security Number (SSN) application. It then takes about a week or two to arrive.

Also, many banks will open an account for you without your SSN, we had no problem using our Passport. They just asked that we updated them with our SSN once received.

American Express will also let you apply for a credit card without a SSN.

We had the same issue. Call your local social security office (number will be on their website) and book an appointment.

At the appointment you bring your GC and a Social Security Number (SSN) application. It then takes about a week or two to arrive.

Also, many banks will open an account for you without your SSN, we had no problem using our Passport. They just asked that we updated them with our SSN once received.

Thank you very much for your response. Can you tell me what you told them? Am I allowed to make another application as I did apply already through the DS 260 process? or should leave that part out and just make a new application?

Also, do you mine sharing how long ago you applied for the SSN and how long did you have to wait to get the appointment? Just trying to gage the process as with covid things are so fluid. Thank you again.

Thank you very much for your response. Can you tell me what you told them? Am I allowed to make another application as I did apply already through the DS 260 process? or should leave that part out and just make a new application?

Also, do you mine sharing how long ago you applied for the SSN and how long did you have to wait to get the appointment? Just trying to gage the process as with covid things are so fluid. Thank you again.

We also applied on the DS260 originally.

Tell them what happened, You don’t apply on the phone, you just make the appointment. When you go to the appointment tell them the situation. That’s what we did, they checked the system at the appointment and I was then in the system (I wasn’t when they made the appointment) so they didn’t need my application and they provided me my SSN at the appointment and mailed the card to me (took just over a week).

My partner still wasn’t in the system at the time of the appointment so they took his application and processed it. His card arrived at the same time as mine (just over a week later) only difference was that they couldn’t give him his number at the appointment.

Our situation was similar to you, we arrived in the US early October and were told our GC and SS card will arrive in a few weeks. They said if the SS card didn’t arrive after 3 weeks then to call. We called the national number several times and it was completely useless as they had no idea what we were talking about.

We then called our local social security office and they were incredibly helpful. They said it happens all the time. They told us neither of us were in the system so no SSN or card had been issued and booked us an appointment and sent us the form.

They told us to call a day before the appointment if we wanted to see if we were in the system yet and if we were we could just cancel the appointment.

For time frame, we arrived first week of October. Called for the appointment late October and got an appointment for mid November, then had our cards by late November. It might depend on how busy your office is. When we arrived I was in there for about 5 minutes (was easy as I was in the system by then), partner was about 15/20 min having to do the whole application.

Tell them what happened, You don’t apply on the phone, you just make the appointment. When you go to the appointment tell them the situation. That’s what we did, they checked the system at the appointment and I was then in the system (I wasn’t when they made the appointment) so they didn’t need my application and they provided me my SSN at the appointment and mailed the card to me (took just over a week).

My partner still wasn’t in the system at the time of the appointment so they took his application and processed it. His card arrived at the same time as mine (just over a week later) only difference was that they couldn’t give him his number at the appointment.

Our situation was similar to you, we arrived in the US early October and were told our GC and SS card will arrive in a few weeks. They said if the SS card didn’t arrive after 3 weeks then to call. We called the national number several times and it was completely useless as they had no idea what we were talking about.

We then called our local social security office and they were incredibly helpful. They said it happens all the time. They told us neither of us were in the system so no SSN or card had been issued and booked us an appointment and sent us the form.

They told us to call a day before the appointment if we wanted to see if we were in the system yet and if we were we could just cancel the appointment.

For time frame, we arrived first week of October. Called for the appointment late October and got an appointment for mid November, then had our cards by late November. It might depend on how busy your office is. When we arrived I was in there for about 5 minutes (was easy as I was in the system by then), partner was about 15/20 min having to do the whole application.
Thank you so much for your detailed response. I so appreciate this. I did call the office and got the opportunity to make an appointment for 10 days later. Thank you again.

When you visit the SSA, do yourself a favor and do NOT raise the fact that you applied in the DS260. The SSA will latch on to almost any reason to avoid doing work, so if they can blame some other department and tell you to wait, they will do that. Just apply for the SSN as if no other request has been made.

Hi, do you mine advising which bank you were able to open the account with? all the banks I checked bank of America, citi and PNC all needed the social security. Also they want verification of a physical address but I am only staying with family for now. Did you also have to provide proof of address? thank you in advance again.

Hi, do you mine advising which bank you were able to open the account with? all the banks I checked bank of America, citi and PNC all needed the social security. Also they want verification of a physical address but I am only staying with family for now. Did you also have to provide proof of address? thank you in advance again.

We went with Bank of America. It won’t let you open an account online without an SSN or ITIN, but they will in person. You have to book an appointment at your nearest BoA financial centre.

For proof of residence they accepted normal things like a bill or lease, however if staying with family or friends they accepted proof from them. We had a lease but they explained before the appointment what to bring and staying with family/friends didn’t seem to be an issue.

When we were looking online it seemed a lot of banks would accept the passport, we just went with BoA as they had what we were looking for so also have a look at a few others if it matters to you.

If you go to the BoA website and go to the section about opening an account it explains that you need SSN etc and then states “If you're missing one of these pieces of information, you can also schedule an appointment with an associate at your local financial center for a day and time that works best for you.”

Good luck!

I was able to open an account with Chase before I got my SSN. I'd also recommend to get a letter from the family/friends that states that you're living with them. Ideally, they have an account at same bank?

Hello, my initiation trip was done on 29th October 2021 and to date I have received my GC. I also applied for the SSN as part of the DS 260 however I have not received my SS card yet? has anyone had this experience with SS in covid times? OR Can someone advise what I can do? the hotline I called said there she cannot find my record. Any advise given I would appreciate. I really need to open a bank account and CC.
I had the same issue. Can you help me?

Hi, thank you again for all your assistance. Did you have to leave your original documents at the SS office when your husband did his application? And if so, how long after did you receive the documents back? Thank you in advance for answering my questions. I am sure you helped so many people sharing your experience the way you did.

Hi, thank you again for all your assistance. Did you have to leave your original documents at the SS office when your husband did his application? And if so, how long after did you receive the documents back? Thank you in advance for answering my questions. I am sure you helped so many people sharing your experience the way you did.
Neither of us had to leave any documents there. Just make sure you bring your required documents - passport, GC and I think from memory birth certificate etc. They checked the documents and I think they made copies (but they definitely didn’t keep anything).

Hi,
We activated our visa and want to register for the SSN but don't have the document given by the embassy.
We have the A number, how to get the DOS number to proceed with the online application?

Thank you for your advice.

Hi,
We activated our visa and want to register for the SSN but don't have the document given by the embassy.
We have the A number, how to get the DOS number to proceed with the online application?

Thank you for your advice.
AFAIK, there's no DOS number required for SSN application, so I have no idea what it is you're asking about.

Hi
When we filled the DS 260 we ticked the option to receive our GC and SSN but since then the address has changed.
Please may I know where to register to change the address and pay the immigrant fee of $220?
Is that fee for the green card and SSN?

Thank you

Last edited:
Hi
When we filled the DS 260 we ticked the option to receive our GC and SSN but since then the address has changed.
Please may I know where to register to change the address and pay the immigrant fee of $220?
Is that fee for the green card and SSN?

Thank you
1. I suggest you go through this How Do I Pay The USCIS Immigrant Fee document which contains a lot of information I believe you will find useful for your questions.
2. There's no fee for the SSN. The $220 Immigrant fee is the GC fee.