• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2020 AOS Only

Thank you so much for your words! I in no way tried to disrespect my republican congressman office! I was just under impression from previous posts that republican congress man/woman are less likely to assist you with immigration issues, that is the reason I said I was hoping they do something.

I’ll definitely keep waiting because this is all I can do for now unfortunately. I will definitely follow your advice towards the end of the week and will keep you updated on what’s going on.
Thank you!!!

We attended our second biometric today with code 1 and code 3 (our last bio was with code 2).
While doing our fingerprints, both of us had some issues with the system giving us the green light with some of our fingers.
The officer made us do it multiple times and at some point said is probably okey (we had the feeling that she got frustrated and just wanted to be done with it).
Wondering if anyone else had a similar experience?

We attended our second biometric today with code 1 and code 3 (our last bio was with code 2).
While doing our fingerprints, both of us had some issues with the system giving us the green light with some of our fingers.
The officer made us do it multiple times and at some point said is probably okey (we had the feeling that she got frustrated and just wanted to be done with it).

I had the same experience.

Few of my left hand fingers screen identifier were showing a caution sign in yellow (the system allocates each finger an identifier). So officer tried the right hand fingers and they were all green. Then he tried the left fingers again and after few tries once he had 2 green and 3 yellow he just proceeded and said done.

Not sure if its an issue, I asked the officer as he handed me the bio papers back to me and he said "all done".

yeah, I had the same situation.

silly advise to who has very sweaty hands.
I did bio today, and it took me 30 min to complete because of my sweaty hand. I should have washed my hands before I came into the room.

The longer it took, the more I got nervous, and the more my hands got sweaty. Wash your hands.

In the congressional enquiry request it asks for "Place of Filing"

What should I put as my place of filing? My current City, State or FO?

Anyone has idea about this?

Hello everyone,
F1 PHD student.
From Asia, Iran.
Got current in March, and filed then.
Received NOA in Apr.
Was scheduled for fingerprints and Interview in July.
Did Bio on July 20th.
Today, I had my interview.
Surprisingly, the officer knew me even behind mask and by pointing his finger asked me to go with him. He asked for my ID and passport, and to swear standing. Then, he started by asking some simple questions (name, date of entry, where Iran is etc.). Then, he went over my i-485 and asked me the same questions that are on the form. He said are you still a student? I showed my I-20 and an enrollment verification. He just took a look at my I-20 and compared it with the one in my package. Nothing really out of ordinary at all. I said, I have my tax return documents and he said it's not needed you're exempt from Affidavit of support. Then, he said do you have your approval letter?! I said no, and I showed my 1NL and 2NL. He said I already have them.
Then, he went outside, made a copy of my ID and passport, came back returned them and went away for a few minutes. Then, he returned and said everything looks OK to me but the state department hasn't assigned you a VISA number or something. I said, I am not on a VISA. He smiled and said it's a virtual VISA. He, then, gave me a letter saying a decision can not be made at the moment. Then, he said there's nothing we can do because we are DHS and this is with state department! I said, is there anything I can do? he said no. I said, is there any number I can call if I don't hear back? He said, you have to wait.

Anybody knows what this means? Any similar experience or suggestions?

Hello everyone,
F1 PHD student.
From Asia, Iran.
Received NOA in Apr.
Did Bio on July 20th.
Surprisingly, the officer knew me even behind mask and by pointing his finger asked me to go with him. He asked for my ID and passport, and to swear standing. Then, he started by asking some simple questions (name, date of entry, where Iran is etc.). Then, he went over my i-485 and asked me the same questions that are on the form. He said are you still a student? I showed my I-20 and an enrollment verification. He just took a look at my I-20 and compared it with the one in my package. Nothing really out of ordinary at all. I said, I have my tax return documents and he said it's not needed you're exempt from Affidavit of support. Then, he said do you have your approval letter?! I said no, and I showed my 1NL and 2NL. He said I already have them.
Then, he went outside, made a copy of my ID and passport, came back returned them and went away for a few minutes. Then, he returned and said everything looks OK to me but the state department hasn't assigned you a VISA number or something. I said, I am not on a VISA. He smiled and said it's a virtual VISA. He, then, gave me a letter saying a decision can not be made at the moment. Then, he said there's nothing we can do because we are DHS and this is with state department! I said, is there anything I can do? he said no. I said, is there any number I can call if I don't hear back? He said, you have to wait.

Don't worry! They will just ask your visa slot from KCC and that's it! It's just a matter of seconds your file being transferred from KCC to the local field office.
Some FOs request visa slot from KCC before the interview and others do that after interview!

Hello everyone,
F1 PHD student.
From Asia, Iran.
Received NOA in Apr.
Did Bio on July 20th.

Did you paid the DV administrative fee to DOS i.e 330$ and include receipt in package?

Hello everyone,
F1 PHD student.
From Asia, Iran.
Received NOA in Apr.
Did Bio on July 20th.

Congratulations @sina.d for finishing your interview! Hope everything goes smoothly and you will get your approval soon.

Can you please elaborate on being exempt from Affidavit of support? I didn't understand why they didn't take your tax returns. Did you file affidavit of support together with your case? Thanks in advance!

@Sm1smom I have a question. Does the status "Case updated to show fingerprints were taken" mean that the FBI check has cleared? Or does that simply mean that they registered in the system that you completed a biometrics appointment?
I got a little confused by the wording: "As of August 4, 2020, fingerprints relating to your Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, Receipt Number ***, have been applied to your case." Does applying fingerprints to the case mean that the background check has been passed successfully?

Hello everyone,
F1 PHD student.
From Asia, Iran.
Received NOA in Apr.
Did Bio on July 20th.

Which approval letter did he mean? Is it proof of payment of $330

Congratulations @sina.d for finishing your interview! Hope everything goes smoothly and you will get your approval soon.

Can you please elaborate on being exempt from Affidavit of support? I didn't understand why they didn't take your tax returns. Did you file affidavit of support together with your case? Thanks in advance!
DV ASOers don't need it according to the regulations. I think FOs decide eventually, my FO decided like that.

@Sm1smom I have a question. Does the status "Case updated to show fingerprints were taken" mean that the FBI check has cleared? Or does that simply mean that they registered in the system that you completed a biometrics appointment?
I got a little confused by the wording: "As of August 4, 2020, fingerprints relating to your Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, Receipt Number ***, have been applied to your case." Does applying fingerprints to the case mean that the background check has been passed successfully?

Don’t read meanings into the wordings of fingerprints related updates as those updates are not consistent across board. The only update worth getting exited over (IMO) is the CPO update.

Today I completed my interview in Santa Ana FO. I had not received the letter for my biometrics at that time.
The officer asked for a few documents: a copy of my J-1 visa to show the two year rule is not applicable to me, past EAD card, passport, driver's license, original birth certificate with its certified translation, and latest few pay stubs.
He went through all the Yes/No questions in form I-485, asked me to confirm my contact info (Full name, Address, Email address, Phone number).
I did not have to sign the I-485 and I-944 - I asked to confirm, but he said he did not need it.

Then he mentioned my biometrics appointment was coming up, but I said I had not received anything in the mail yet.
To him the decision on my case was now depending on my background check only, so there was no point waiting further: he printed a referral letter for me to go the ASC right after the interview.
The ASC is in Tustin, and reopened on 7/20, so he did not mention a specific time, only a time range for when I should go.
On the referral letter, there was no code mentioned, but I saw biometrics + fingerprints.

I went to the ASC right after, and there was no one there. They took a picture, 10 fingerprints, my signature, and that's it!
In Santa Ana FO, during the interview, the officer was not sure how long it would take to complete my case. He basically needs to contact KCC for a visa slot, and wait for the background check to be completed. But he said the adjudication would definitely be before September 30th, as he is aware of the deadline for DV selectees.
Thank you so much everyone... I cannot express how grateful I am to you all. Since May 2019 it has been such a roller coaster to most of us, I am certain. To all remaining AOSers, this is the final stretch, you can do it!!! You'll get a good night of sleep very very soon.

My case just changed to "My interview was completed and my case must be reviewed".
I will keep you posted whenever my case status changes!

he printed a referral letter for me to go the ASC right after the interview.
The ASC is in Tustin, and reopened on 7/20, so he did not mention a specific time, only a time range for when I should go.
On the referral letter, there was no code mentioned, but I saw biometrics + fingerprints.

!
Wow, I never heard of that before, great you could just go and get it done!

Hello everyone,
F1 PHD student.
From Asia, Iran.
Received NOA in Apr.
Did Bio on July 20th.

I think that's because the US govt treats Iranian student visa differently. You will be fine once they verify your status.