• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2020 AOS Only

Hi everyone, we had our bio today in Hackensack ASC. It was really quick (about 20 minutes), considering that we went there as a family of five. They took our pictures and fingerprints, then after stamping the letters returned them back. Only passports were necessary. I asked if we can see any changes in the system today and the lady confirmed it. So far, it's been about two and a half hours and there's no any updates, I'll double check the status again later.

Hey @skip1, I'm glad to hear that you finally got the bio.

I had my bio done today at Hartford, CT. The ASC was completely empty, I was the only one. I showed up 20 minutes early and the officer after screening questions about covid let me enter early. He signed and stamped the bio notice and then took my picture and 10 fingerprints. The fingerprints took few tries as the system seems very sensitive. My picture was a bit sideways so I requested to change and the officer retook the picture. He was very nice and helpful. The whole process took 10 minutes.

Now waiting for my wife's bio and our interview, keeping my fingers crossed.

**Funny note, I am pretty sure the ASC officer is a recent naturalized US citizen, he had a very strong accent and English was not his native language. Pretty encouraging to see new citizens working for USCIS.

I had my bio done today at Hartford, CT. The ASC was completely empty, I was the only one. I showed up 20 minutes early and the officer after screening questions about covid let me enter early. He signed and stamped the bio notice and then took my picture and 10 fingerprints. The fingerprints took few tries as the system seems very sensitive. My picture was a bit sideways so I requested to change and the officer retook the picture. He was very nice and helpful. The whole process took 10 minutes.

Now waiting for my wife's bio and our interview, keeping my fingers crossed.

**Funny note, I am pretty sure the ASC officer is a recent naturalized US citizen, he had a very strong accent and English was not his native language. Pretty encouraging to see new citizens working for USCIS.

Hi @asm_dv,
Thank you for sharing your experience. Does your biometric letter have code 2 or code 3 in the letter?

well- he might not be a new citizen - I know people who've been here since the 80s and 90s who still sound like they just stepped off the boat! But yes, I agree it’s nice to see clearly naturalized citizens working in all sorts of places, but especially citizen-only jobs.

How long does it take for the welcome letter to show up after status changes to ‘Case Approved’?
And how soon can we expect to get the physical green card considering the current situation with card production?

Hi Everybody,

I'm very happy to let you know that our GCs were printed and sent out today! For those of you wondering how long the printing backlog is, it took USCIS 15 business days to get it done. My timeline is pretty close to @Giovanna, @yesca, and @Lucky2020. I believe @AOS2020 waited 6 additional business days. If you have the status "New Card Is Being Produced", be patient you are very close to the finish line. For those still in the middle of the process, we'll be here cheering for you. Be strong and keep a positive attitude!

Hello everyone,
Just share our case and really thanks for this great group, help us so much.

Our case is 2020As21xx
File 485(my husband and I) in October 2019 in Louisiana
Interview on 07/24/2020 ( No notice letter)
And now the system showed
New Card Is Being Produced”
In June 2020, we asked Congressman’s help but nothing he can do. Then in July, my husband called USCIS again to expedite the case. Around two weeks past,on 07/20/2020 both of us got an email from Uscis office in New Orleans, asked us that we can go to interview on 07/24/2020 or not. We’re surprised cause there’s no interview notice letter!
When we arrived at the office, every staff knew we came for interview. They were all very friendly.

After taking a picture and fingerprint, we started to interview. The questions he asked were all about i485, it’s easy and soon finished.

It’s so long but finally we got it.
Thanks again and hope everyone of 2020 AOS can get the results soon.
Congratulations. You applied from Louisiana so your FO must've been NOLA right?
What condition did you use to expedite your case?

Here’s an update about my code 2 bio inquiry: today the online status changed to “A response was sent”. I was hoping that meant they would send an email, but I did not receive any email, so that probably means they sent snail mail.

So I’ll call again tomorrow as soon as they open and try to get a hold of a tier 2 before my bio appointment.

@Sm1smom I have quick question.

I have a morning appointment tomorrow, Aug 4th.

My attorney who did my H1-B and H1-B extension, also he is currently working on my PERM. I didn't involve him doing my DV based I-485, however he is aware I was working on my case for this one. I told him, I have an appointment tomorrow, and he keeps asking I should bring him to the interview with us.

1. Will that complicate our interview?
2. Should I have him with us during the interview, or just go without attorney?

Last edited:

My attorney who did my H1-B and H1-B extension, also he is currently working on my PERM. I didn't involve him doing my DV based I-485, however he is aware I was working on my case for this one. I told him, I have an appointment tomorrow, and he keeps asking I should bring him the interview with us.

Our lawyer who worked on our dv case did not come to our interview. We had a call the night before when we went over what will happen and what to expect. Told us to let the officer guide the interview and not volunteer any extra information beyond what they are asking for. Said that the officer would be really nice which he was. We just had to sign a waiver saying we are ok proceeding with the interview without our attorney present. And to be honest the office was pretty cramp (impossible to social distance for everyone) and there was only two chairs available so I'm not sure how would that work with the attorney there.

Our lawyer who worked on our dv case did not come to our interview. We had a call the night before when we went over what will happen and what to expect. Told us to let the officer guide the interview and not volunteer any extra information beyond what they are asking for. Said that the officer would be really nice which he was. We just had to sign a waiver saying we are ok proceeding with the interview without our attorney present. And to be honest the office was pretty cramp (impossible to social distance for everyone) and there was only two chairs available so I'm not sure how would that work with the attorney there.

Thanks for your experience.

Yeah, that is what my exact thought was, if we bring him, there will be no space, that will make the IO, to call us one by one. OR, even worse, it will make the IO take the case very seriously.

But I'm very puzzled. He is keep saying that I need to also bring my H1B petitions, and show it to the IO. I thought my H1-B status is proved by the I-797 of the H1-B. Do I need to print the whole petitions for H1-B? It is like 100 pages, for initial one and the extension.

My attorney who did my H1-B and H1-B extension, also he is currently working on my PERM. I didn't involve him doing my DV based I-485, however he is aware I was working on my case for this one. I told him, I have an appointment tomorrow, and he keeps asking I should bring him to the interview with us.

Question really is why is the lawyer insisting on attending this interview with you considering you’ve done everything and come this far on your own without their involvement? He will not be providing this service free of charge, I’m willing to bet, even if he’s not charging you directly.

Do you have issues with regards to your status? Ever fallen out of status? Complicated background? If the answers to these are no, I don’t see what benefit the lawyer’s presence will be.

However this is your case, your call. If you think you may need him for moral support, then sure have them tag along. They definitely wouldn’t be answering any question on your behalf, and their presence will not intimate the IO one way or the other.

Thanks for your experience.

Yeah, that is what my exact thought was, if we bring him, there will be no space, that will make the IO, to call us one by one. OR, even worse, it will make the IO take the case very seriously.

But I'm very puzzled. He is keep saying that I need to also bring my H1B petitions, and show it to the IO. I thought my H1-B status is proved by the I-797 of the H1-B. Do I need to print the whole petitions for H1-B? It is like 100 pages, for initial one and the extension.

Naaw! The I-797 is enough. You don’t need to print the entire petitions. Several past selectees in similar status have successfully completed the DV based AOS process with just the I-797 NOA.

Question really is why is the lawyer insisting on attending this interview with you considering you’ve done everything and come this far on your own without their involvement? He will not be providing this service free of charge, I’m willing to bet, even if he’s not charging you directly.

Do you have issues with regards to your status? Ever fallen out of status? Complicated background? If the answers to these are no, I don’t see what benefit the lawyer’s presence will be.

However this is your case, your call. If you think you may need him for moral support, then sure have them tag along. They definitely wouldn’t be answering any question on your behalf, and their presence will not intimate the IO one way or the other.
Thank you for the quick reply.

No, My case is straight, I was never out of status. F1 -> OPT -> H1-B -> H1-B Extended -> and he is working on the PERM.

He said, he wouldn't be charging me, but this is the service already included in the PERM case package he is charging my company who is sponsoring me. He said.

If bringing along attorney wouldn't intimidate the IO, I will think about it.

I will have my wife and me for the interview, and I hope the room is big enough for him also.

Thank you for the quick reply.

No, My case is straight, I was never out of status. F1 -> OPT -> H1-B -> H1-B Extended -> and he is working on the PERM.

He said, he wouldn't be charging me, but this is the service already included in the PERM case package he is charging my company who is sponsoring me. He said.

If bringing along attorney wouldn't intimidate the IO, I will think about it.

I will have my wife and me for the interview, and I hope the room is big enough for him also.

In my opinion, if you cannot actually identify a way in which the attorney will be beneficial /needed for your case, why bother bringing him? He has already given you bad information about what you need to bring, which makes me think he might complicate things. He clearly is not familiar with DV based interviews. (Surely the service paid for by your company is for employment based AOS?) If best case is he says and does nothing... what’s the point?

Spoke to tier 2 representative today, and they confirmed my biometrics appointment was booked yesterday, for August 17th, which I've added to the spreadsheet. I asked which code, and the representative confirmed it was a code 3, and emailed me a copy of the notice. Oddly enough, even though my local ASC is only a few miles from me, the ASC I've been assigned, is one 25 miles away.
I received the physical biometrics notices today- yes, notices, as there were two of them. They appear to be identical (same date/time/ASC/codes, etc.), but the notice date on one was 28 July, and the other, 29 July. I'm not worried about it, but I did find it peculiar...

Just a quick update on my case.
Almost 2 weeks ago I had an interview in Phoenix, AZ (~12 days ago).
Today I've received an approval notice form.
The status on the web site still shows (Case Was Approved).
Thus, waiting for the actual card to be mailed (I know it may take a while considering current circumstances).