• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2020 AOS Only

Me and my husband are on O2-O3 visas. We had our interviews today and although our toddler is US citizen we decided to take her with us. During the pandemic it felt like a wrong decision to hire a babysitter which we never did before. It turned out it wasn't a problem at all, so if anyone is in the same situation- you can bring your child with you just go prepared, get some new toys and small not messy snacks for him/her to keep him/her busy and relatively quiet :)
Everything was very fast, everyone was professional and friendly. We checked in and waited for about 20 minutes until we got called in. Our officer was very nice and professional, told us he will first interview my husband and then me since his office is small.
The interview took about 10 minutes for each of us, got sworn in, then was requested to provide my passport and birth certificate. After that I was asked to confirm some general information such as my name, most recent entry date to the USA and if my visa status is the same. Then the officer asked me some Yes/No questions from i-485 and said he pre-approves our cases, but can finalize it only after we get biometrics done. I told him that our appointment is scheduled for next Tuesday, he wrote that on a sticker and attached to my case. After that I signed the papers.

A huge thanks to this forum and Sm1smom for all you are doing! Only thanks to this forum i was able to prepare all the documents, to find information etc. It is a real GEM!! I would have never done it without you guys.

To everyone applying - good luck in successfully finalizing your cases!

Last edited:
Me and my husband are on O2-O3 visas. We had our interviews today and although our toddler is US citizen we decided to take her with us. During the pandemic it felt like a wrong decision to hire a babysitter which we never did before. It turned out it wasn't a problem at all, so if anyone is in the same situation- you can bring your child with you just go prepared, get some new toys and small not messy snacks for him/her to keep him/her busy and relatively quiet :)
Everything was very fast, everyone was professional and friendly. We checked in and waited for about 20 minutes until we got called in. Our officer was very nice and professional, told us he will first interview my husband and then me since his office is small.
The interview took about 10 minutes for each of us, got sworn in, then was requested to provide my passport and birth certificate. After that I was asked to confirm some general information such as my name, most recent entry date to the USA and if my visa status is the same. Then the officer asked me some Yes/No questions from i-485 and said he pre-approves our cases, but can finalize it only after we get biometrics done. I told him that our appointment is scheduled for next Tuesday, he wrote that on a sticker and attached to my case. After that I signed the papers.

A huge thanks to this forum and Sm1smom for all you are doing! Only thanks to this forum i was able to prepare all the documents, to find information etc. It is a real GEM!! I would have never done it without you guys.

To everyone applying - good luck in successfully finalizing your cases!

Awesome! Thanks for the update and all the best with the rest of the process.

Hello Mom,

I had my interview last Thursday. The IO called me 45 minutes late. He started asking me with questions from my I-485 form and went on to ask everything and finally reached to my past employer, he took 45 minutes to ask me every question about my past employer from every perspective and at last told me he will send me a letter where I should respond by sending the offer letter send to me by that employer. Its been more than a week now and I am still waiting for the letter/rfe. I see a lot of folks saying here that the IO asked them to sign at the end of the interview, whereas in my case he didn't ask me to sign anything at the end. I am more worried now. Should I be concerned? What should I do now? It this normal?

Hello Mom,

I had my interview last Thursday. The IO called me 45 minutes late. He started asking me with questions from my I-485 form and went on to ask everything and finally reached to my past employer, he took 45 minutes to ask me every question about my past employer from every perspective and at last told me he will send me a letter where I should respond by sending the offer letter send to me by that employer. Its been more than a week now and I am still waiting for the letter/rfe. I see a lot of folks saying here that the IO asked them to sign at the end of the interview, whereas in my case he didn't ask me to sign anything at the end. I am more worried now. Should I be concerned? What should I do now? It this normal?
My case status now says "your interview is completed and your case must be reviewed".

Those who are interested in Dallas, TX FO.

I got a phone call from USCIS this morning.
They scheduled our interview for August 7th.

You can find the rest of the information in my signature as well as in the spreadsheet.

I haven't reached out to USCIS since I sent the package to Chicago's Lockbox.
I was following Mom's recommendation to be patient.

Everything will work out for all of us!

Good luck to all of us!

Yesterday I called the tier 2 rep to ask why I received a Code 2 biometrics. She was puzzled how I knew about the codes because she said it was supposed to be internal. I mentioned I found out about it online.

Anyway, she said she doesn’t know why I was given a Code 2. It may be that they were just trying to speed things up and if they need more fingerprints from me they will do so later on. She mentioned maybe they want to limit exposure due to the pandemic (which doesn’t make much sense since I need to give my 10 fingerprints at some point). She mentioned maybe they thought I had an underlying I795 (which I didn’t). She went on to say that she doesn’t think it was a mistake.

I told her my concern with this being a DV case with the September 30 deadline that if this was in fact a mistake it might delay my case. She then told me she sent a message to my FO about the Code assigned to me and I should be hearing back via email.

I haven’t heard back yet. My online case status shows that “Your fingerprints/Biometrics was assigned to an officer for response”. So I guess we’ll see what’ll happen.

If I don’t hear back by my bio date, the next option is to beg* the officer there to take my 10 fingerprints. :p

*ask politely
Thanks for the update. I don’t know what is this code thing about, but (just for the records) on our bio letters it shows “Code 3” and for both of our kids it’s “Code 2”. I hope there’s no any mistakes.

Hello Mom,

A couple of others have also reported not being asked to sign their forms. I think the IO lost sight of it. They will contact you and ask you to come back if it’s going to be an issue. Nothing you can do about it from your end.

My husband and I had an interview yesterday. My case status was updated but his case status was not updated. I just wonder whether every case status would be updated after an interview.
As far as I understand there is only one dv case for all family. Always one case which includes principal and dependents. Can you please explain how is that possible to have two different cases for the same family members?

Hello Mom,

Which row of the spreadsheet is your information in?

As far as I understand there is only one dv case for all family. Always one case which includes principal and dependents. Can you please explain how is that possible to have two different cases for the same family members?
Each family member gets his or her own visa or green card, albeit under one DV case number. If the principal is denied, no derivative can get a visa, but it is possible for one or more derivatives to be denied even as the principal is approved. (Not implying this is why there is no update for the spouse - just clarifying your question - it is not “all or nothing”. Also, each family member gets their own receipt number - whether for i485 for AOS or for green card fee payment.)

Last edited:

You may consider one case per family and I am not sure this is true or not. However, my husband and I submitted two I-485 forms and we received two receipt numbers (e.g. MSCXXXXXXXXX1 and MSCXXXXXXXXX2). The status of only one receipt has changed since an interview. Another one has not.

You may consider one case per family and I am not sure this is true or not. However, my husband and I submitted two I-485 forms and we received two receipt numbers (e.g. MSCXXXXXXXXX1 and MSCXXXXXXXXX2). The status of only one receipt has changed since an interview. Another one has not.
Did they approve for one case and didn’t update for another one?

Hello all,
I want to give you an update. I had my code 2 biometrics taken at the ASC. Today I got a call from my FO and the officer stated that that was a mistake and I had to do a code 3 biometrics, so he rescheduled me at a different ASC with a code 3 this time for mid August.
Thanks for the update! What sucks is that I’d have to take time off from my job and travel almost 3 hours each way. Hopefully there’s a way to convince the officer at the ASC to just take my fingerprints. I literally am willing to do anything :(

Hi everyone!
I unexpectedly received an interview notice from my FO for Aug 20th. (my biometrics will be Aug 3rd)

Title says "request for applicant to appear for initial interview". why "initial" ? does it say that for everyone?

Hello everyone,
Just share our case and really thanks for this great group, help us so much.

Our case is 2020As21xx
File 485(my husband and I) in October 2019 in Louisiana
Interview on 07/24/2020 ( No notice letter)
And now the system showed
New Card Is Being Produced”
In June 2020, we asked Congressman’s help but nothing he can do. Then in July, my husband called USCIS again to expedite the case. Around two weeks past,on 07/20/2020 both of us got an email from Uscis office in New Orleans, asked us that we can go to interview on 07/24/2020 or not. We’re surprised cause there’s no interview notice letter!
When we arrived at the office, every staff knew we came for interview. They were all very friendly.

After taking a picture and fingerprint, we started to interview. The questions he asked were all about i485, it’s easy and soon finished.

It’s so long but finally we got it.
Thanks again and hope everyone of 2020 AOS can get the results soon.

Hello everyone,
Just share our case and really thanks for this great group, help us so much.

Our case is 2020As21xx
File 485(my husband and I) in October 2019 in Louisiana
Interview on 07/24/2020 ( No notice letter)
And now the system showed
New Card Is Being Produced”
In June 2020, we asked Congressman’s help but nothing he can do. Then in July, my husband called USCIS again to expedite the case. Around two weeks past,on 07/20/2020 both of us got an email from Uscis office in New Orleans, asked us that we can go to interview on 07/24/2020 or not. We’re surprised cause there’s no interview notice letter!
When we arrived at the office, every staff knew we came for interview. They were all very friendly.

After taking a picture and fingerprint, we started to interview. The questions he asked were all about i485, it’s easy and soon finished.

It’s so long but finally we got it.
Thanks again and hope everyone of 2020 AOS can get the results soon.

congratulations!
You filed in October and you had your biometrics on the same day as your interview? Why didn't you go to your biometrics sooner?