• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2020 AOS Only

Hi, guys, I am in F-1 status and thinking about transferring to AOS because of my research progress in school. My case number is 2020AS00005xxx, which will be current in December. I am not worried about the timing but I am wondering about the VISA numbers available as this year the visa bulletin for Asia goes very fast. So, my question is:
1. Would it be possible that the visa number may be used out in June or July, before interviews are scheduled?
2. In which step would the visa number be reserved for me? When KCC approves me to go AOS? Or the interview is scheduled?

Hi, guys, I am in F-1 status and thinking about transferring to AOS because of my research progress in school. My case number is 2020AS00005xxx, which will be current in December. I am not worried about the timing but I am wondering about the VISA numbers available as this year the visa bulletin for Asia goes very fast. So, my question is:
1. Would it be possible that the visa number may be used out in June or July, before interviews are scheduled?
2. In which step would the visa number be reserved for me? When KCC approves me to go AOS? Or the interview is scheduled?

1. I don’t know.
2. Visa numbers are not reserved for AOSers.

Admission or re-admission back into the US is always at the discretion of the CBP, a valid visa does not guarantee one would be admitted into the US. Getting a visa is also at the discretion of the CO at the embassy, having being previously issued with a visa does not guarantee a new visa.

Which section of the AOS spreadsheet says “Be prepared to be asked about your intentions when you applied for a non-immigrant visa"? I don’t quite recall this. And yes, you may be asked about your DV selection when you apply for a new F1 visa, you’re required to truthfully answer the question.
I agree, this wasn't a good idea from the get-go.
It's in the sheet "Interview Tips" in row 63.
On a different note, do you think it's not worth the risk of not being scheduled for an interview when I go back home to do CP with a high CN like mine (EU34XXX) since I will lose F1 status?

Thanks!

I agree, this wasn't a good idea from the get-go.
It's in the sheet "Interview Tips" in row 63.
On a different note, do you think it's not worth the risk of not being scheduled for an interview when I go back home to do CP with a high CN like mine (EU34XXX) since I will lose F1 status?

Thanks!

I see - it didn’t make sense because you did not quote the complete statement which is:

“You may be asked about the type of visa you applied for and why you wanted to come to the United States. While it may appear that the USCIS officer is just making polite conversation, he or she may be trying to judge whether or not you had “immigrant intent” at the time you got your visa -- that is, whether you actually intended to come to the U.S. permanently at the time you got your temporary visa (such as a student or tourist visa), despite having claimed at the time that your intention was to return home at the end of your stay”

And the context of course - which is during the AOS interview itself.

I honestly can’t tell you if it’s worth the risk or not - your risk tolerance level is not the same as mine, I may not be able to take the same level of risk you’re open to and vice versa. I have no idea what other factors you have to contend with. The best I can do is to provide you with the pros and cons of each process, which is already available on the AOS process spreadsheet. You make the determination on your own as to what is worth what based on the information available to you.

Thank you again for the help!

Quick question. Do we need to notarize translation of documents issued abroad (e.g. birth certificate)?

Thank you again for the help!

Quick question. Do we need to notarize translation of documents issued abroad (e.g. birth certificate)?

No, not notarized. It however should be accompanied with a certified statement attesting to the fluency of the person who did the translation in English and the language the document was translated from

Hey everyone. Does anyone know how to get police certificates in the US when doing CP? Do I have to get a "live scan"? If so, what do I list as “Requesting” agency listed on the “Request for Live Scan Service” form? Also, won't police certificates expire in 3 or 6 months? I will not be able to go back to US to get fresh certificates since my F1 will be void. What should I do?

Hey everyone. Does anyone know how to get police certificates in the US when doing CP? Do I have to get a "live scan"? If so, what do I list as “Requesting” agency listed on the “Request for Live Scan Service” form? Also, won't police certificates expire in 3 or 6 months? I will not be able to go back to US to get fresh certificates since my F1 will be void. What should I do?

PCC from the US is not required.

PCC from the US is not required.
Not to come off as annoying but I know they are not required for AOS but are they also not required for CP (more than 6 months, of course)?
Just want to be 100% sure that I don't need to get any docs from the US since the only one I needed (I assume) was a PCC and now you're saying it's not needed.
Another question, would a job offer in the US and a bank statement from home (in case I can't deposit money from home to my US account) make up for the lack of I-134?
Thanks!

Not to come off as annoying but I know they are not required for AOS but are they also not required for CP (more than 6 months, of course)?
Just want to be 100% sure that I don't need to get any docs from the US since the only one I needed (I assume) was a PCC and now you're saying it's not needed.
M!
It’s explicitly stated in the official prep for CP interview pages that you don’t need one from US. (On my phone or I’d get the link.)
I always get nervous when people post questions that are answered in there because it makes me wonder if you missed something else. Please read them. All via link from your selection letter.

Hi everyone! My husband was selected for the DV 2020 (we are both on F1 status). Case # EU 42XX. We submitted our AOS package on Nov 5, and still haven't received any confirmation (except that the package was delivered). I was looking at averages from this and previous years and it seems like most people hear back within 10-15 days. Any thoughts to why we may still be waiting?

Hi everyone! My husband was selected for the DV 2020 (we are both on F1 status). Case # EU 42XX. We submitted our AOS package on Nov 5, and still haven't received any confirmation (except that the package was delivered). I was looking at averages from this and previous years and it seems like most people hear back within 10-15 days. Any thoughts to why we may still be waiting?

You’re still within a normal processing window of acceptance confirmation notice. Exercise some patience, keep an eye on your bank account to know if/when your check gets cashed. If there’s no further update in the next two weeks, it most likely means your package has been rejected and on its way back to you.

Dear Mom, could you please help with clarifying the following questions:

1.If I submit I-131 and I-765 together with I-485, I still need to submit only one G-1145, correct?
2. Is this the correct filing address (will it go to the Lockbox): USCIS, PO Box 805887, Chicago, IL 60680-4120?
3. Form I-485, Part 1, question 22: “When I last arrived in the United States,
22.a I was inspected at a port of entry and admitted as (for example, exchange visitor, visitor, waived through, temporary worker, student) ____”. I have G4 status, what shall be my answer?
4. Form I-485, Part 1, question 23c: “Status on Form I-94 (for example, class of admission, or paroled, if paroled)” – shall I indicate G4? The form allows to type only letters.
5. Form I-485, Part 1, question 24: “What is your current immigration status (if it has changed since your arrival)” – my status has not changed since arrival, shall I skip this question?
6. Form I-485, Part 2. Information about your immigration category (questions 3-9). I do not need to answer them, correct?

Dear Mom, could you please help with clarifying the following questions:

1.If I submit I-131 and I-765 together with I-485, I still need to submit only one G-1145, correct?
2. Is this the correct filing address (will it go to the Lockbox): USCIS, PO Box 805887, Chicago, IL 60680-4120?
3. Form I-485, Part 1, question 22: “When I last arrived in the United States,
22.a I was inspected at a port of entry and admitted as (for example, exchange visitor, visitor, waived through, temporary worker, student) ____”. I have G4 status, what shall be my answer?
4. Form I-485, Part 1, question 23c: “Status on Form I-94 (for example, class of admission, or paroled, if paroled)” – shall I indicate G4? The form allows to type only letters.
5. Form I-485, Part 1, question 24: “What is your current immigration status (if it has changed since your arrival)” – my status has not changed since arrival, shall I skip this question?
6. Form I-485, Part 2. Information about your immigration category (questions 3-9). I do not need to answer them, correct?

1. Yes
2. Address depends on the delivery form you plan on using. Go through the Direct Filing Address to cross check where to send your form/package.
3. Foreign government worker? That’s what a G4 visa is for, right?
4. Yes. If that’s the visa you entered the country with. You can hand write G4.
5. Either write N/A or write your current status.
6. 3-9 not applicable to a DV based principal applicant, don’t leave them blank though, write N/A. 5a - 7 applicable to DV beneficiaries.

Does US mailing Address part 13 a. of i-485 asks about the physical address I am currently living or the mailing address that I put in ds 260 form for mailing green card?

I-485, part 1 Recent Immigration History question 16 asks about travel document number used at last arrival. What does this mean? While coming to USA , I had just used passport and I don't have any other travel document. So, do I put passport number again in number 16. I already put the passport number in 15, so do I put it again in 16 or leave it blank?

In Work/Education/Training Information part under ds 260, for questions: do you have other occupations?, were you previously employed? I mistakenly put no in both questions, but I have been working on campus 20 hours a week( as per the rules for international students) since beginning of my college at the current University. I had never worked previously, neither in USA nor in my country.
But , while filling i-485, I need to show my employment history. So, can I correct my ds 260 form now? Does it affect my documentation if I didn't show it in ds 260 but showed it in i-485? Please help me with this.

Does US mailing Address part 13 a. of i-485 asks about the physical address I am currently living or the mailing address that I put in ds 260 form for mailing green card?

You’re presumably currently based in the US. So US mailing address for the I-485 refers to whichever address you use in receiving mail. For most people, the mailing address is the same as the physical address.

I-485, part 1 Recent Immigration History question 16 asks about travel document number used at last arrival. What does this mean? While coming to USA , I had just used passport and I don't have any other travel document. So, do I put passport number again in number 16. I already put the passport number in 15, so do I put it again in 16 or leave it blank?

Travel document number is not applicable to you if you presented a passport the the POE.