• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2020 AOS Only

I know this question has been asked already, but can't seem to be able to find answer to it.
Are we allowed to start working after we are approved, even though we have yet to receive the physical green card?
I tried the e-verify tool with just my social security number, and it says to me that I am authorized to work.

Hey skip1,

My recollection is that you're employer is going to request either for the updated SSN card or the actual green card.

I know this question has been asked already, but can't seem to be able to find answer to it.
Are we allowed to start working after we are approved, even though we have yet to receive the physical green card?
I tried the e-verify tool with just my social security number, and it says to me that I am authorized to work.

Which documents do you plan on presenting to the employer for the I-9 form which they are required to have for e-verify? It’s more than you being able to e-verify yourself. That is why waiting for the actual GC is recommended.

Which documents do you plan on presenting to the employer for the I-9 form which they are required to have for e-verify? It’s more than you being able to e-verify yourself. That is why waiting for the actual GC is recommended.
Got it, I thought e-verify can replace i-9 altogether :)
Thanks for the explanation.

I will make another post about my interview but I just wanted to share that the furloughs have been cancelled. There is no official news out yet but uscis employees got the notification this morning during my interview and there was a loud applause in the office. The immigration officer then told me himself that the loud applause was because of the furloughs being cancelled.

I will make another post about my interview but I just wanted to share that the furloughs have been cancelled. There is no official news out yet but uscis employees got the notification this morning during my interview and there was a loud applause in the office. The immigration officer then told me himself that the loud applause was because of the furloughs being cancelled.
Probably the best possible moment to be interviewing!

Great news

Hey guys, I had my interview today at the Los Angeles FO. I think I couldn't have dreamed of such a smooth interview experience. The IO was extremely polite and friendly. The entire interview took around 5 minutes. Half of the time she just asked me about my major and we were talking about different schools and what my future plans are. Then she asked me about my name and my parent's name. She went briefly through the I-485, asked me just 3-4 YES/NO questions while in between she mentioned "Just make sure you do not sign anywhere to vote because as a permanent resident you do not have the right to do so. It might cause issues when you apply for citizenship later on." ( and I already started to feel very excited but tried to remain as calm as possible). She didn't go over I-944, I even offered to give her my DV payment receipt which wasn't included in the packet and she didn't need it, as well as some other documents I wanted to show such as my health insurance plan renewal etc.. She just said " All of your documents are recent since you applied 2 months ago and you managed to collect and put together everything properly, so I do not need anything else from you (She just took my passport, nothing else). Then she took 10-15 minutes to process my case and gave me the approval letter. The USCIS status changed to "New Card Being Produced" right away.

Now, I really want to thank @Sm1smom for giving me hope and courage to believe in myself that I can do it on my own! Without you Mom and @SusieQQQ , I don't know if I would have been able to prepare myself the way I did without your instructions and amazing advice! This forum and everyone in it brings so much hope and confidence to us all! I THANK YOU @Sm1smom , @SusieQQQ , and @Britsimon for being such angels and helping all DV applicants in any way possible! You guys are truly amazing!

To the rest of you still waiting, just hand tight and you will soon hear back the good news! My fingers are crossed for all of you to get your green cards before the end of the FY!

Side Note for upcoming applicants:
I started this process by consulting with an immigration attorney here in the U.S. and the first thing he told me was "Oh.. your case number is 30 000, there's no way USCIS will process your case before September 30th, you should switch and go for CP from your own country."
I was hopeless for a while until I stumbled upon this holy place. After following all of the guidelines on the spreadsheet, I started believing in myself that I can do this without a lawyer. That was the best decision I made. I remained here with a high CN, and kept believing that AOS is the way to go!
Thank you everyone for contributing and helping each other!

Hey guys, I had my interview today at the Los Angeles FO. I think I couldn't have dreamed of such a smooth interview experience. The IO was extremely polite and friendly. The entire interview took around 5 minutes. Half of the time she just asked me about my major and we were talking about different schools and what my future plans are. Then she asked me about my name and my parent's name. She went briefly through the I-485, asked me just 3-4 YES/NO questions while in between she mentioned "Just make sure you do not sign anywhere to vote because as a permanent resident you do not have the right to do so. It might cause issues when you apply for citizenship later on." ( and I already started to feel very excited but tried to remain as calm as possible). She didn't go over I-944, I even offered to give her my DV payment receipt which wasn't included in the packet and she didn't need it, as well as some other documents I wanted to show such as my health insurance plan renewal etc.. She just said " All of your documents are recent since you applied 2 months ago and you managed to collect and put together everything properly, so I do not need anything else from you (She just took my passport, nothing else). Then she took 10-15 minutes to process my case and gave me the approval letter. The USCIS status changed to "New Card Being Produced" right away.

Now, I really want to thank @Sm1smom for giving me hope and courage to believe in myself that I can do it on my own! Without you Mom and @SusieQQQ , I don't know if I would have been able to prepare myself the way I did without your instructions and amazing advice! This forum and everyone in it brings so much hope and confidence to us all! I THANK YOU @Sm1smom , @SusieQQQ , and @Britsimon for being such angels and helping all DV applicants in any way possible! You guys are truly amazing!

To the rest of you still waiting, just hand tight and you will soon hear back the good news! My fingers are crossed for all of you to get your green cards before the end of the FY!

I started this process by consulting with an immigration attorney here in the U.S. and the first thing he told me was "Oh.. your case number is 30 000, there's no way USCIS will process your case before September 30th, you should switch and go for CP from your own country."
I was hopeless for a while until I stumbled upon this holy place. After following all of the guidelines on the spreadsheet, I started believing in myself that I can do this without a lawyer. That was the best decision I made. I remained here with a high CN, and kept believing that AOS is the way to go!
Congratulations
So happy for you
Now new life will start
Enjoy

Hi All, It's been 20 days since my bio and interview appointments, my case status is still at "Fingerprints were taken". Should I call USCIS at some point? Thanks!

Considering your spouse, the main selectee was approved 4/5 days following your bio/interview, your non-approval to date probably has to do with pending background check clearance. So you need to give it some time. You can call USCIS by the end of next week if there’s still no update.

Nice update. Thanks.

Super duper awesome news :D. Congratulations. Time to break out that special bottle of your favorite drink reserved for special occasions such as this? ;)

Today I had my interview in the Houston FO. It was pretty straightforward. I got there 15 minutes before my appointment, went through security and waited another 20-30 minuted before the officer came out and got me. He took me back to his office, I got sworn in and he asked for my ID, passports and proof of education etc. I showed him originals of all the documents he asked for and he proceeded to ask general information about my first and last entries into the US, my current status etc. As mentioned in my previous post there was a loud outburst of excitment/noise in the USCIS office during my interview because at that exact moment USCIS employees received a notification that the planned furloughs were cancelled. The officer explained that that was the reason for the noise and continued to ask me questions and confirm information on my i-485. I signed the i-485 and my i-944 and he printed out a letter saying that it was held for review seeing that I have not taken biometrics yet. He confirmed that my biometrics was scheduled for next week and then he said that he will be on the lookout for it. He said that he is very aware of the deadline and that he was working on getting all the DV cases approved before the deadline so that definitely made me feel a lot better.

Last edited:
Good news !!

USCIS Averts Furlough of Nearly 70% of Workforce

"USCIS expects to be able to maintain operations through the end of fiscal year 2020. Aggressive spending reduction measures will impact all agency operations, including naturalizations, and will drastically impact agency contracts. "

:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

I had my interview today..
spoiler allert: New card is being Produced!

My FO is NYC Manhattan!

I am the principal applicant and my husband is my derivate, our interview was today at 10am, like everyone we arrived 9:45am, security check, check-in.....we have waited for 2 loooongg hours...

Then the officer show up, as somebody said, he is a pretty young guy, he was very nice and very polite.
Pic identification, index finger identification and Passport.
He started with me, he asked me about my job, I gave him my recent pay slip, he asked me when we changed address, he wanted my Birth certificate, my phd degree, my marriage certificate and my baby birth certificate, we check all the question of the I485 form, I signed and we finished.
Then he made more or less the same question to my husband, the IO asked him about our marriage, when we decide to get marriage, our relation, when we met...we wanted to be sure that our relation is genuine and not for the green card... for us it was easy to show...we get married even before to play and we have a baby...so...pretty obviously.
He asked me if I want to submit documents to show that me and my husband are still together (finally a reasonable question) I gave to him our actual lease, the previous one and the 2019 tax that we filed together...
then he told us that he does not see any reason to not approve our case if the check was fine and told us to wait a decision by next week..
we go home...and after 2 h our status is changed!

I am sooooooo happy! Finally free! o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

Thank you to everyone in this forum, thanks to sharing your experience, thanks for the advises, and in particular thanks @Sm1smom, this forum help me a lot, especially during this stressful year!
:D:D:D:D:D

Thank you for sharing! Very helpful :) Congratulations!!