• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2020 AOS Only

Hey all, little update. I had my interview today and it went fantastically. The officer asked for my passport, visa and student ID, then we went through the forms and made me sign them. When he figured out I didn't have my biometrics, he tried to schedule an appointment for me but couldn't. Then he tried to take my fingerprints and picture there (yes, at the FO), but the program didn't work. He was sorry he couldn't and let me go, saying that if everything is okay with the biometrics, they'll adjudicate the case without me having to go to the FO again.

Fun part: I was already in the parking lot and the officer came down, looking for me. He had me go back to the office, where this time he actually took a picture and my fingerprints. Unfortunately, it didn't work, so now I'll just have to wait for the bio letter.
Congrats and thank you for sharing your experience! Hope you will not wait too long for biometrics! Good luck

Your question as written above is not quite the same as the question I responded to in my post which you quoted with your post.

AOS application must be approved by Sept. 30th COB. The card can be issued after Sept. 30th, not a problem as long as the case is adjudicated, approved, and the corresponding visa number obtained by the IO on or before that date.

My response which you quoted has to do with the question of if there’s an applicable grace period for remaining in the US if the AOS application is not adjudicated after Sept. 30th.

Thank you for clarifying Sm1smom. I did also have the question, which I asked USCIS and the rep couldn't answer. Is there a grace period to pack up and leave, or would I need to leave on Sept 30 if my case hasn't been adjudicated? Hoping to the heavens that won't be the case but it's getting so close.

Thank you for clarifying Sm1smom. I did also have the question, which I asked USCIS and the rep couldn't answer. Is there a grace period to pack up and leave, or would I need to leave on Sept 30 if my case hasn't been adjudicated? Hoping to the heavens that won't be the case but it's getting so close.
There is always a grace period. In case you are refused in GC, they will send you a notice, and in the letter they will indicate timeframe you must leave the country. I know that in the case of marriage GC refusal, it is about 30 days. It should be similar to DV cases as well. Until they officially sent you a letter you can stay, but if you past Sep 30, it is better to get ready to leave... Hope we all are not going to experience that.

Last edited:
There is always a grace period. In case you are refused in GC, they will send you a notice, and in the letter they will indicate timeframe you must leave the country. I know that in the case of marriage GC refusal, it is about 30 days. It should be similar to DV cases as well. Until they officially sent you a letter you can stay, but if you past Sep 30, it is better to get ready to leave... Hope we all are not going to experience that.

Careful with the “until they officially send you a letter you can stay” advice. Yes I’m aware when a denial notice is issued, it normally says one needs to depart within 30 days of the date on that notice. I’m however not sticking my neck out on purpose and making such a blanket statement here for a reason.

If no interview is scheduled by the end of Sept. 30th or no approval by that date, waiting until USCIS sends an official letter increases the amount of time you’re deemed out of status and subsequently incurring an unlawful presence. Bear in mind the consequences of an unlawful presence varies. Also bear in mind it could take several months before USCIS actually issues a denial notice after the Sept. 30th deadline. So waiting until that notice is received could have major consequences.

Careful with the “until they officially send you a letter you can stay” advice. Yes I’m aware when a denial notice is issued, it normally says one needs to depart within 30 days of the date on that notice. I’m however not sticking my neck out on purpose and making such a blanket statement here for a reason.

If no interview is scheduled by the end of Sept. 30th or no approval by that date, waiting until USCIS sends an official letter increases the amount of time you’re deemed out of status and subsequently incurring an unlawful presence. Bear in mind the consequences of an unlawful presence varies. Also bear in mind it could take several months before USCIS actually issues a denial notice after the Sept. 30th deadline. So waiting until that notice is received could have major consequences.
Gotcha! Will be more careful next time by sharing info.

Hey all, little update. I had my interview today and it went fantastically. The officer asked for my passport, visa and student ID, then we went through the forms and made me sign them. When he figured out I didn't have my biometrics, he tried to schedule an appointment for me but couldn't. Then he tried to take my fingerprints and picture there (yes, at the FO), but the program didn't work. He was sorry he couldn't and let me go, saying that if everything is okay with the biometrics, they'll adjudicate the case without me having to go to the FO again.

Fun part: I was already in the parking lot and the officer came down, looking for me. He had me go back to the office, where this time he actually took a picture and my fingerprints. Unfortunately, it didn't work, so now I'll just have to wait for the bio letter.
Congrats!
Would you please tell more about your case as you were the first interviewee in history subject to new public charge rule?

1- Did officer ask any question about public charge?
2- Are you currently employed?
3- The salary you put in form I-944 is higher than %125 of federal poverty guideline?
4- Did you put anything as your assets in the form?
5- Did you submit form I-134?

Congrats!
Would you please tell more about your case as you were the first interviewee in history subject to new public charge rule?

1- Did officer ask any question about public charge?
2- Are you currently employed?
3- The salary you put in form I-944 is higher than %125 of federal poverty guideline?
4- Did you put anything as your assets in the form?
5- Did you submit form I-134?

Sure. Maybe not in history, but probably on this thread.
On the basis of the interview experiences I've read, I think I had a very nice interviewer. On top of that, just to give some more context, I have to say that I'm in a relatively good position: I'm a PhD student, employed by the university, with a decent salary, and I easily live without anyone else's economic support. So to answer your questions:

1) No. He only confirmed that I work as a teaching assistant.
2) Yes, by the university. Only a fraction of my salary goes on the W-2, the rest is given in the form of a scholarship.
3) Yes.
4) Just my bank accounts (checking and savings).
5) No.

The only doubt I had after the interview is that in my AOS package I only included my Sprintax filings. I had my IRS tax returns at the interview, but the officer didn't ask for them.
Of course, until I have an official approval, I'm not too confident, but it was a good experience overall. Now I just hope to get a biometrics appointment as soon as possible.

On the basis of the interview experiences I've read, I think I had a very nice interviewer. On top of that, just to give some more context, I have to say that I'm in a relatively good position: I'm a PhD student, employed by the university, with a decent salary, and I easily live without anyone else's economic support. So to answer your questions:

2) Yes, by the university. Only a fraction of my salary goes on the W-2, the rest is given in the form of a scholarship.
3) Yes.
5) No.

The only doubt I had after the interview is that in my AOS package I only included my Sprintax filings. I had my IRS tax returns at the interview, but the officer didn't ask for them.
Of course, until I have an official approval, I'm not too confident, but it was a good experience overall. Now I just hope to get a biometrics appointment as soon as possible.
Thanks. I am in the same shoes of yours as a fellow grad student. I think you will be perfectly fine since the scholarship is usually 300% of the federal poverty line.

3) Yes.
5) No.

Same here, Phd with funding only difference is I am married so two people doing AOS.

I am hopeful that you would be approved easily. Just wait for the biometrics to be done.

Its been while that I haven't got any update on my case from USCIS. I do not want to offend/be rude to tier 1 representative. Is there a way I can politely ask for tier2 representative to get more info on the case ?

congratulations

Its been while that I haven't got any update on my case from USCIS. I do not want to offend/be rude to tier 1 representative. Is there a way I can politely ask for tier 2 representative to get more info on the case ?
I called earlier today - for the first time, given that my ASC opened starting this week - and the Tier 1 rep had absolutely no clue about DV (at least I got that impression). She kept asking whether it is family- or employment-based AOS and, after a pause (presumably looking in the system) said that the waiting time is 5 months and I have to call back then... :) I told her that for a DV case it does not make much sense given it will expire by end-Sep and requested to connect to Tier 2 rep. She responded that Rep 2 would have the same info but agreed to connect. The system however said it will take about 400+ minutes of waiting time hence I have chosen a call-back option. Have not received any call yet...

Hello guys and Mom, I wanted to tell you guys that I just received my interview letter and it's schedule for July 30th in the San Francisco FO. I haven't received a biometric letter so my guess is that on the day of the interview they will reschedule.

Hello guys and Mom, I wanted to tell you guys that I just received my interview letter and it's schedule for July 30th in the San Francisco FO. I haven't received a biometric letter so my guess is that on the day of the interview they will reschedule.
Congratulations
Soon we will say congrats for Greencard

I called earlier today - for the first time, given that my ASC opened starting this week - and the Tier 1 rep had absolutely no clue about DV (at least I got that impression). She kept asking whether it is family- or employment-based AOS and, after a pause (presumably looking in the system) said that the waiting time is 5 months and I have to call back then... :) I told her that for a DV case it does not make much sense given it will expire by end-Sep and requested to connect to Tier 2 rep. She responded that Rep 2 would have the same info but agreed to connect. The system however said it will take about 400+ minutes of waiting time hence I have chosen a call-back option. Have not received any call yet...

Thank you so much for info..please let me know if you hear back from them, and I will also try the same.

Let me share my experience with regards of biometrics. We are family of 4. We received interview invitation latter for all of us. However, we received just 3 biometric appointments. Our 9 yo didn’t receive such. Anyway, we broght him over on the biometric appointment today and asked that we apply together but no appointment for him. After some consultations they took a picture and fingerprint (just from one finger) of him and put a stamp that bio were taken on the receipt.

Let me share my experience with regards of biometrics. We are family of 4. We received interview invitation latter for all of us. However, we received just 3 biometric appointments. Our 9 yo didn’t receive such. Anyway, we broght him over on the biometric appointment today and asked that we apply together but no appointment for him. After some consultations they took a picture and fingerprint (just from one finger) of him and put a stamp that bio were taken on the receipt.
Thank you for sharing your experience!
Would you please tell how packed your Application Support Center was and your waiting time to have your biometrics done? You guess how many people they can deal with at Application Support Centers every day?

Hey congrats!!! Kindly remind to update the time spreadsheet! :) thank you!