• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2020 AOS Only

Dear @Sm1smom ,
Official account of USCIS on Twitter says: "Some of our offices remain temporarily closed due to state & local restrictions. Be sure to check your local office status before planning your visit:https://www.uscis.gov/about-us/uscis-office-closings "
But on their website it says all offices are open. Why is there a discrepancy?
Well... just double check your local office via the website? if it’s closed I presume it will say so. https://www.uscis.gov/about-us/find-a-uscis-office/field-offices

Well... just double check your local office via the website? if it’s closed I presume it will say so. https://www.uscis.gov/about-us/find-a-uscis-office/field-offices
I already checked that. I can't tell if it is open or not. They have just put office hours in there and it is not clear if it is open or not. That's the case for all Field Offices. I guess they are still updating the website. When I checked the website 2 hours ago it said that all asylum offices are "Closed due to facilities issues." Now that I am checking they have put a table showing that asylum offices in Houston, Newark and New York are closed. The table wasn't there before.

Last edited:
Bear in mind the link I posted for you earlier. That is the policy manual uscis follows.

by the way... The onus is always on the visa holder to understand and follow the terms of the visa.
HI! I understood! Thank you for valuable advice!

I already checked that. I can't tell if it is open or not. They have just put office hours in there and it is not clear if it is open or not. That's the case for all Field Offices. I guess they are still updating the website. When I checked the website 2 hours ago it said that all asylum offices are "Closed due to facilities issues." Now that I am checking they have put a table showing that asylum offices in Houston, Newark and New York are closed. The table wasn't there before.

a few weeks back when I checked my local office it said closed for all working hours, it now lists the normal hours M-F so I presume it is actually open. Waiting for a reschedule notice for a non-DV matter.

You’re still not getting it! You as the main applicant have violated your F1 status and are therefore not eligible to process AOS. This is regardless of if you’ve been paying your taxes or not, that is immaterial. F1 status does not allow for unauthorized employment, be it private work or not. Your only chance of a successful outcome is CP!
Thank! You are doing a great job.

Hello. This morning i received an email from my bank letting me know that my credit card was charged by Chicago Lockbox for $1225,00.. My AOS package was delivery at May 28th according to UPS tracking.

Me too! Both my checks were cashed today and my my package arrived on 26th May according to USPS.

Hello,

I have a question regarding the interview. Looks like it is important to carry all the original documents to the interview.
Unfortunately my master degree is in my home country and I don't feel comfortable to ask someone to ship it for me in the US (I don't want it to get lost). Do you think it will be ok if I don't have the original and have a scan at the interview?

Hi all,

I have sent my package already but with no irs transcripts, as I couldn't get in touch with them and I also failed to creat an online account (phone verification issue). I included an explanatory letter along with my tax returns and said that I am planning to bring transcripts to the interview.

My concern is that due to pandemic, IRS might continue to operate in a limited capacity till the end of the year.

1. If we fail to get transcripts for the interview (either all of them or only for the last year - my tax returns for 2019 are not processed yet), does it mean no chance to get approved?

2. Is there any option to get help with this issue (e.g. to write to some office/person that would help to get in touch with IRS)?

Thank you in advance!

I have a similar issue.

Here is what I did.
1) I put together an explanation letter per @Sm1smom recommendation.
2) I added my Tax Return as well as a bank statement to my explanation letter. I highlighted the refund amount from IRS both in the bank statement and in the Tax return. It kind of shows that I've paid my taxes and I already got a Tax refund from IRS.
3) I've been trying to register an online account on the IRS website. It keeps showing an error. They don't reply via phone either.
So I mailed a 4506-T form to IRS requesting Tax transcript. As per the IRS website, it can take from 3-6 weeks until I receive the transcript.
It's a 2-page form and it's easy to fill-out.
However, the IRS website claims they don't mail physical Tax transcripts, currently. I hope the process's inertion will help me despite the current constraints:)

Last edited:
I might have missed this - but has there been any information on when the ASC offices will start opening and if there was a rationale provided why those remain closed while the FOs opened?

Also - for collective information - after I and my spouse filed our package in May, our checks were cashed and we even received NOAs, but somehow we never received email/text, even though we filed the Form G-1145. Since we received our NOAs with A-numbers, we chose the option of receiving texts from the USCIS website, but wonder if anyone else have had similar experience and if it has any implications (doubt, but just in case)?

F1_student, we are all in the same boat.
90% of the documents that I scanned for the application is in my home country.
Once I get to at least bio, I will ask my relatives to ship them.
Usually, it's not that risky if you use FedEx, DHL for example.
It's more risky not to have them if they needed for the interview.

Hello,

I have a question regarding the interview. Looks like it is important to carry all the original documents to the interview.
Unfortunately my master degree is in my home country and I don't feel comfortable to ask someone to ship it for me in the US (I don't want it to get lost). Do you think it will be ok if I don't have the original and have a scan at the interview?

You decide which is more risky for you - potential approval delay or potential loss of certificate. Rule of thumb is to be prepared to show the original copy of any document submitted in evidence.

“An officer, however, may request an original document if there is reason to question the authenticity of the document for which a photocopy has been submitted. If originals are requested to validate a photocopy, they should be returned to the applicant after review and verification unless regulations require the originals to be submitted and retained. Failure to submit a requested original document may result in denial or revocation of the underlying application or benefit. [19] An officer may check available systems to validate evidence submitted by the applicant, as well as to verify claimed entries, prior deportations, visa issuance, and criminal history”
Policy Manual - Chapter 4

I saw this list of FOs, but it just seems weird to me that for example, all NY offices are closed (even the Albany one!), while NJ ones are all opened.

I have a similar issue.

Here is what I did.
1) I put together an explanation letter per @Sm1smom recommendation.
2) I added my Tax Return as well as a bank statement to my explanation letter. I highlighted the refund amount from IRS both in the bank statement and in the Tax return. It kind of shows that I've paid my taxes and I already got a Tax refund from IRS.
3) I've been trying to register an online account on the IRS website. It keeps showing an error. They don't reply via phone either.
So I mailed a 4506-T form to IRS requesting Tax transcript. As per the IRS website, it can take from 3-6 weeks until I receive the transcript.
It's a 2-page form and it's easy to fill-out.
However, the IRS website claims they don't mail physical Tax transcripts, currently. I hope the process's inertion will help me despite the current constraints:)
I also included an explanation letter along with my tax returns, W2s, and my bank statements, but I didn't highlighted the numbers (it is a good idea but it didn't come to me :( ). I will mail form 4506-T to IRS too. Thanks for advice!

Did you include tax returns for 3 years or just the recent one?