• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2020 AOS Only

Hi I had my bio-metrics on Jan 27,2020 at Las Vegas ASC. My online case still shows case was received for I-765, I-485. And For I-131 it says fingerprint review was completed on March 12. I've not received any other updates on my case till date. My OPT is expiring in about near 2 months. Can I file STEM Extension while pending I-485 ? I'm thinking to file around June so can I file my Extension. ? Cause I've no any updates on my case.
Hi,
Were you able to renew your OPT?

I also wanted to add that I have a visa for five years.
Can I go through a change of status here, and my family members from CP?
Thanks!

Hi. CN ***EU*** 51*** First, I filed F 260 through the CP. In the light of closed borders. I wanted to switch CP to AOS.
1) I was on visa f -1. In December 2019 I graduated and applied for OPT. So far they have not given an answer due COVID (answer from phone).
2. Can I enroll again and continue my status on F-1 in case of refusal in opt in another school?
3. If I now will start the status change process - will I have time to complete it by September. I have not yet notified KCC of the intention to change the procedure.
4. While studying, I had work at UBER, opened transportation company. I paid taxes. Whether this will be considered not legal work?
5 What are the chances of an AOS ?
Thank you for the answers.

1. No question asked.
2. Can’t give you an answer - this is not a DV based AOS related question.
3. In the past others have successfully started and completed DV based AOS process as late as July/August.
4. Yes that is unauthorized employment, you’ve violated your F1 status which means you’re technically out of status and are not eligible to process AOS.
5. Read answers 3 and 4 above.

1. No question asked.
2. Can’t give you an answer - this is not a DV based AOS related question.
3. In the past others have successfully started and completed DV based AOS process as late as July/August.
4. Yes that is unauthorized employment, you’ve violated your F1 status which means you’re technically out of status and are not eligible to process AOS.
5. Read answers 3 and 4 above.

Thank you!

Self employment (F-1 visa) also illegally for DV AOS case?

Yes.
Per uscis, this is what is allowed. Uber, self employment etc does not fall into allowed work

Employment
F-1 students may not work off-campus during the first academic year, but may accept on-campus employment subject to certain conditions and restrictions. After the first academic year, F-1 students may engage in three types of off-campus employment:

• Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
  • Optional Practical Training (OPT) (pre-completion or post-completion)
  • Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) Optional Practical Training Extension (OPT)
For both F-1 and M-1 students any off-campus training employment must be related to their area of study and must be authorized prior to starting any work by the Designated School Official (the person authorized to maintain the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS)) and USCIS.

Is it possible that the main applicant goes through the AOS procedure, and family members through CP. How to do it, Where I can read about this situation? Thank you so much!

Yes.
Per uscis, this is what is allowed. Uber, self employment etc does not fall into allowed work

Employment
F-1 students may not work off-campus during the first academic year, but may accept on-campus employment subject to certain conditions and restrictions. After the first academic year, F-1 students may engage in three types of off-campus employment:

• Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
  • Optional Practical Training (OPT) (pre-completion or post-completion)
  • Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) Optional Practical Training Extension (OPT)
For both F-1 and M-1 students any off-campus training employment must be related to their area of study and must be authorized prior to starting any work by the Designated School Official (the person authorized to maintain the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS)) and USCIS.
Thank you!

Whether there was a case who applied to the DV AOS with self employment history (F1 visa). Or is it a 100% failure? Worth a try?

Do you maintain an active SEVIS record? Does anyone know if you have violated your student visa?
You have to answer all questions on your application truthfully, under oath of perjury. Giving a false representation to an immigration official in an attempt to gain an immigration benefit risks a permanent ban from the US. The i485 requires employment history for the last 5 years as well as asking directly if the applicant has ever worked in the US without authorization. Should he do CP he would not need to answer these questions and neither would they be an inadmissibility.

Whether there was a case who applied to the DV AOS with self employment history (F1 visa). Or is it a 100% failure? Worth a try?
It’s a statutory bar to adjustment. See https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-7-part-a-chapter-2
Please do not follow the implied dumb advice above to lie and risk a permanent ban. You are allowed to do CP having worked illegally, but you cannot adjust.

from the link above

1. Bars to Adjustment
Depending on how an alien entered the United States or if an alien committed a particular act or violation of immigration law, he or she may be barred from adjusting status. With certain exceptions, some aliens ineligible for adjustment of status under INA 245 include any alien who:

• Last entered the United States without being admitted or paroled after inspection by an immigration officer;
  • Last entered the United States as a nonimmigrant crewman;
  • Is now employed or has ever been employed in the United States without authorization;
  • Is not in lawful immigration status on the date of filing his or her application;
  • Has ever failed to continuously maintain a lawful status since entry into the United States, unless his or her failure to maintain status was through no fault of his or her own or for technical reasons;
  • Was last admitted to the United States in transit without a visa;
  • Was last admitted to Guam or the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI) as avisitor under the Guam or CNMI Visa Waiver Program and who is not a Canadian citizen;
  • Was last admitted to the United States as a nonimmigrant visitor without a visa under the Visa Waiver Program;
  • Is deportable due to involvement in a terrorist activity or group;
  • Is seeking employment-based adjustment of status and who is not maintaining a lawful nonimmigrant status on the date of filing this application;
  • Has ever violated the terms of his or her nonimmigrant status;
  • Is a conditional permanent resident; and
  • Was admitted as a nonimmigrant fiancé(e), but did not marry the U.S. citizen who filed the petition or any alien who was admitted as the nonimmigrant child of a fiancé(e) whose parent did not marry the U.S. citizen who filed the petition.

Is it possible that the main applicant goes through the AOS procedure, and family members through CP. How to do it, Where I can read about this situation? Thank you so much!

You mean the main applicant who is technically out of status at the moment?

Do you maintain an active SEVIS record? Does anyone know if you have violated your student visa?

So if no one in authority is aware OP has violated their immigration status, are you trying to encourage him to knowingly omit his Uber/self employment history from the I-485? Or is it that they should intentionally lie and answer “NO” to the following questions?:

“Have you EVER worked in the United States without authorization?”
“Have you EVER violated the terms or conditions of your nonimmigrant status?”

FYI - this forum does not condone, allow, nor encourage users to knowingly lie in an attempt at obtaining an immigration benefit. It is a violation of the TOS!

You can give it a shot if you like provided you disclose your employment history and answer “YES” to these two questions on the I-485:

Have you EVER worked in the United States without authorization?”

You can give it a shot if you like provided you disclose your employment history and answer “YES” to these two questions on the I-485:

Have you EVER worked in the United States without authorization?”

Thank you so much! I appreciate your information and help!

You mean the main applicant who is technically out of status at the moment?
Yes, I wanted to try. I still have to indicate self-employment. This is reflected in my tax reports and account statements. I have a large number, I'm afraid that my turn will certainly not reach through my country. Although there are restrictions of no more than 7% per country. But in light of recent events, the chances are diminishing.