• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2020 All Selectees

I like this forum, it is interesting! mostly like the guy who said "English is not my mother tongue" to support their arguments. Thanks Simon for making it clear. They asked you to provide documents because they got your application. but you will go to the interview based on your number being current that is why they publish current numbers every month. that is how I understood it from Simon

I think this is like asking why select 84,000 selectees while there are just 54,650 visas?

It’s a very low number of selectees for the available visas, actually. They select more people than visas because a surprising number of people never follow through on their selection (didn’t realize the cost, decide they don’t want to move, or realize they don’t qualify or made a disqualifying error, etc) and others get refused. If there isn’t a second draw, I’d actually expect them to end up issuing less visas than the total available. The fallout rate often approaches half of selectees.

It’s a very low number of selectees for the available visas, actually. They select more people than visas because a surprising number of people never follow through on their selection (didn’t realize the cost, decide they don’t want to move, or realize they don’t qualify or made a disqualifying error, etc) and others get refused. If there isn’t a second draw, I’d actually expect them to end up issuing less visas than the total available. The fallout rate often approaches half of selectees.
Meaning that potentially all numbers will be current

The normal non response rates will not apply this year since many of the cases that have been disqualified with the new procedure will have been the cases that turned into non responses. BUT yeah - I'd agree - 83K is not high, especially now with 54.6K visas...

the asking for docs email work like this:
when you submit your ds 260 this can happen:
your CN can be ELIGIBLE for an interview, this is NOT the same as CURRENT.
For example, for EU 6000 is the cut-off BUT ELIGIBLE for interviews is 14,000 cut-off.
Why do we see very high numbers get asked for docs? Because the cycle can break.
1. People don't send their ds 260. Docs request cannot be made without the ds 260 . They move to higher numbers.
2. People unlock their 260 for changes and keep it unlocked. In this case, higher numbers are called for docs.

So, unlocking ds 260 breaks the process? Yes, it does but it's necessary. You should update your ds 260 for every change, even the smallest. You can keep updating it even until the day before the interview.

In my example, EU 6k cut off, 14k eligible,.When should I expect the request for docs(my CN is lower 20K)? Anywhere from one week to 2 months.

You can keep updating it even until the day before the interview.
Your advise is a little risky for some - unlocking close to your number becoming current is likely to delay the 2NL. If an update is insignificant (adding a new job, additional travel etc) it can be mentioned during the interview. Obviously significant updates like incorrect names, adding a new spouse should be done ASAP
Additionally, tThe ability to unlock your DS-260 is removed once your interview is scheduled (Simon, Mom, Susie - please correct me if I am wrong on that)

Reactions: YTM
Additionally, tThe ability to unlock your DS-260 is removed once your interview is scheduled (Simon, Mom, Susie - please correct me if I am wrong on that)

That’s correct.

I also dispute changung the DS260 for every little thing. Material changes or errors, yes, especially those that may affect background checks. We changed something at the interview (discovered a parent’s official name was not what had been thought...) and it’s not a problem. I can understand caution but not when it goes as far as sabotaging your case!

I called them and that is what they told me

“Them” being KCC? They are not always correct, especially on matters like ds260 content which is reviewed by the consular officers. KCC is just admin.
And you most definitely cannot unlock until the day before interview.

If you need to make a change you email them. If they unlock it , you do the changes and complete it. If for some reason they can't then nothing you can do. What exactly is the problem?

Lol “very nice people” yes

The problem is people, especially with higher case numbers, potentially delaying their cases past the point of no return by unlocking the ds260 every time they blow their nose. By all means, do what makes you comfortable, but please be careful about the advice you give that may be harmless to others but also may not be depending on circumstances.

And no, this probably won’t be the last time you get incorrect information over the phone from someone in an official US immigration department.

If you need to make a change you email them. If they unlock it , you do the changes and complete it. If for some reason they can't then nothing you can do. What exactly is the problem?
Thats not quite how it works
If YOU want to update your DS-260, you request KCC to unlock it for you - you will need to provide specific details for them to do this
KCC WILL unlock your DS-260 if you have provided all the required info
You can then update and resubmit your DS-260

It's not up to KCC to determine if your information should be updated or not .. this is YOUR decision

I still don't see what problem you two are pointing out. I unlocked my ds-260 already 3 times for changes. Yes, you need to provide information to them. but before the unlock I called them and asked if it will delay my case. Their answer was no if I update it and complete it. The email has all the info. Unlock do changes and complete it.

Yes, I am calling them for any information that is not clear to me.
I also dealt with many immigration officers for the past 15 years and know that people are working in these offices and mistakes can happen.
So if you are unsure pick up the phone.

Also If you plan to send your documents anyway without been asked the email will be ignored. Don't waste your time.

Also If you plan to send your documents anyway without been asked the email will be ignored. Don't waste your time.
Again, this isn't the experiences of people to date. Many people chose to send their documents ahead of being asked and were successfully processed and scheduled.
If things have changed for 2020 and they are now not processing unless they have requested, we are yet to see that.

the asking for docs email work like this:
when you submit your ds 260 this can happen:
your CN can be ELIGIBLE for an interview, this is NOT the same as CURRENT.
For example, for EU 6000 is the cut-off BUT ELIGIBLE for interviews is 14,000 cut-off.
Why do we see very high numbers get asked for docs? Because the cycle can break.
1. People don't send their ds 260. Docs request cannot be made without the ds 260 . They move to higher numbers.
2. People unlock their 260 for changes and keep it unlocked. In this case, higher numbers are called for docs.

So, unlocking ds 260 breaks the process? Yes, it does but it's necessary. You should update your ds 260 for every change, even the smallest. You can keep updating it even until the day before the interview.

In my example, EU 6k cut off, 14k eligible,.When should I expect the request for docs(my CN is lower 20K)? Anywhere from one week to 2 months.

Wow - this post is littered with inaccuracies. If you don't know what you are talking about - probably best you don't try and sound like you do.

"You can keep updating it even until the day before the interview." - Nope. After 2NL you can't request an unlock - although the embassy might in exceptional circumstances.

"People unlock their 260 for changes and keep it unlocked. In this case, higher numbers are called for docs." Nope. Unlocking after the case was processed does not stop them sending a document email. It doesn't even stop them scheduling the case for interview anymore. The only time it stops things is if you unlock so early that the case is not yet processed.

As for the whole cutoff versus eligible thing - well honestly I have no idea what you are talking about - but then that makes two of us.

More utter nonsense. I am CERTAIN that many of my blog readers did exactly that (because I advised them to do so) and that, frankly saved their cases. Again. As respectfully as I can put this - STOP saying things you don't know anything about, please. It just confuses people because they think your statement carries as much weight as others (which it certainly does not).