• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2020 All Selectees

1. No, unless the consulate requires you to. So most people do it in advance if they can to save time / not go on AP.
2. This is the same question as half of #1, it is a sponsor who fills in the I134
3. No one can tell you that, it depends on personal circumstances. I do know of someone who got asked an i134 from a consulate where hardiy anyone was ever asked for one (first time we’d seen it on the local forum). It happens.

As with all public charge concerns and DV, nothing is definitive in advance. It all depends on the CO’s assessment of your personal circumstances.
Thanks, my answers
1- I understand, I will not do it if no one asked me to, I can't anyways since I don't know anybody in the USA who is willing to be my sponsor or a host. I plan to get airbnb the first days and I can manage figuring out life there
2- yes related to the first question
3- I checked the additional documents asked by the embassy (MTL-Montreal) and didn't see anything related to host or sponsor

Thanks, my answers
1- I understand, I will not do it if no one asked me to, I can't anyways since I don't know anybody in the USA who is willing to be my sponsor or a host. I plan to get airbnb the first days and I can manage figuring out life there
2- yes related to the first question
3- I checked the additional documents asked by the embassy (MTL-Montreal) and didn't see anything related to host or sponsor
No, the only embassy that specifcally asks in advance is Sri Lanka. Most embassies don’t mention anything at all about finances for DV, yet as you know public charge applies. I’m not sure how many different ways I can say “depends on personal circumstances”.

“depends on personal circumstances”.
When are people informed about any additional document or step that is not in the list? Do they asked in the interview reason why people prepare it before just in case?

Last edited:
When are people informed about any additional document or step that is not in the list? Do they asked in the interview reason why people prepare it before just in case?

People are informed up front - read the diversity visa instructions again - about the public charge requirement. One last time, THEY CANNOT TELL YOU DEFINITIVELY IN ADVANCE what you need to bring because they do not know your individual circumstances before you get there. A 65 year old with $10m in assets is not treated the same as a 65 year old with barely any savings and a chronic disease. A 22-year old who barely passed high school and has never been able to hold down a job for longer than a few months is not treated the same as a 22-year old with a computer science degree. It is up to you to figure out what you can present to show you will not become a public charge. If it’s not acceptable then they will ask you to get an i134. Please don’t make me repeat the phrase “personal circumstances” again.

Hi to all,
some questions:
1- in the past I worked in various foreign countries for a few months (from 1 to 10 months). If I understand correctly, it is not necessary to ask for a police certificate (o similar), it is required if I have been there for at least 12 months, correct?
2- during these jobs I was resident in my country, do I have to mark the period abroad in my ds260?
3- I reopened the ds260 twice, is it a problem if I ask for a new opening?
4- I have a personal website, should I mention it? if yes, where?
thank you all!
(DV2020 EU29XXX)

Hello All,

My CN Number is AS948* & I got an email for document submission on 3rd October. My question is how long can I delay the document submission, as I have to get police clearance certificate from different country where I used to live before and the expiry date of PCC is only 3 months. The cutoff score of my country for nov is 3100 so I am bit confused. I am looking forward for the suggestion

Hello All,

My CN Number is AS948* & I got an email for document submission on 3rd October. My question is how long can I delay the document submission, as I have to get police clearance certificate from different country where I used to live before and the expiry date of PCC is only 3 months. The cutoff score of my country for nov is 3100 so I am bit confused. I am looking forward for the suggestion

You can delay until you get your PCC.

Breaking news that will affect all DV2020 applicants. Effective November 30th, the U.S government will require applicants, including people with ties to family members in the U.S., to show they have health insurance or prove their financial ability to pay for medical care (plans purchased under the affordable care act will not satisfy this requirement) before being issued a visa that could lead to a green card.

Breaking news that will affect all DV2020 applicants. Effective November 30th, the U.S government will require applicants, including people with ties to family members in the U.S., to show they have health insurance or prove their financial ability to pay for medical care (plans purchased under the affordable care act will not satisfy this requirement) before being issued a visa that could lead to a green card.

What is your source for the date? This policy popped out from nowhere and is not well defined as far as I can see. It will be challenged, without a doubt. So - where did you see more detail about this?

My understanding is not that “plans under ACA do not qualify”, it is that the use of subsidies/tax credits under ACA does not qualify. (This is something that is gamed in the system, usually when people sponsor non-earning parents.)

What is your source for the date? This policy popped out from nowhere and is not well defined as far as I can see. It will be challenged, without a doubt. So - where did you see more detail about this?

This was posted by the New York Times, Washington Post, CBS news and many other major news outlets. If you do a google search “immigrant visas health care” you will see a number of reliable sources all reporting the same thing about this action which will take effect in 30 days.

This was posted by the New York Times, Washington Post, CBS news and many other major news outlets. If you do a google search “immigrant visas health care” you will see a number of reliable sources all reporting the same thing about this action which will take effect in 30 days.

It’s generally bad form to post something without the source.

I have read those. But you mention a specific date (not 30 days). What is your source for that date?

I have read those. But you mention a specific date (not 30 days). What is your source for that date?

The New York Times said November 3rd. Tried posting the link but the forum wouldn’t let me. Would you like me to email you the link?
9EE8829A-2FC9-4072-9C87-73C4E7B0A3A0.jpeg

Your post said Nov 30th, not Nov 3rd... (the ‘th rather than ‘rd adding to sense of not just being a typo but an error of fact)