• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2020 All Selectees

DV1= principal
DV2=spouse
DV3=child
Thank you,

I have other questions, if I take the attached file as an example, can you please tell me if I got it?
For Afghanistan, for the month of August, 36 DV have been given to 36 principals, 16 DV to spouses and 28 to children (because out of the 36 principals, some of them have spouses and others have spouses and children) for a total of 80 DV (36+16+28)
Right?

Attachments

• AUGUST 2019 - IV Issuances by FSC and Visa Class.pdf
    311.5 KB · Views: 8
It is really weird that Iran, one of the countries affected by Travel Ban, has got almost equal number of diversity visas for August as Nepal, the country with second highest number of winners in Asia:rolleyes:
Iran: 69
Nepal: 72
Maybe not so weird if you look at it in context of past months where
1)Nepal was much higher in those months, as expected given where the concentration of CNs is
2) Iran was much lower in previous months, so possibly August was clearing AP cases to get issuance before year end

Arbitrarily chosen months earlier in the fiscal year eg Feb, Nepal 390 vs Iran 4; April Nepal 383 vs Iran .... 0.

Thank you,

I have other questions, if I take the attached file as an example, can you please tell me if I got it?
For Afghanistan, for the month of August, 36 DV have been given to 36 principals, 16 DV to spouses and 28 to children (because out of the 36 principals, some of them have spouses and others have spouses and children) for a total of 80 DV (36+16+28)
Right?
Yes

Thank you,

I have so many questions, now if I take the other file for the same month of Aug that I attach here
What is the difference between both files and how come I don't see Afghanistan in the 2nd one?

Attachments

• AUGUST 2019 - IV Issuances by Post and Visa Class.pdf
    282.9 KB · Views: 5
Thank you,

I have so many questions, now if I take the other file for the same month of Aug that I attach here
What is the difference between both files and how come I don't see Afghanistan in the 2nd one?

because one is by issuing post (embassy/consulate, for anyone living in that country regardless of birth, nationality etc) and one is by foreign state of chargeability. It is state of chargeability we are interested in for DV.

By the way I found the answer to my 1st question in this document
https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Statistics/Immigrant-Statistics/MonthlyIVIssuances/Immigrant Visa Symbols.pdf

DV1 Diversity Immigrant
DV2 Spouse of DV1
DV3 Child of DV1

Like I said ;)

Here is another question,
Iran is in travel ban list in 2019, how come they got DVs?

Because there are some exceptions/waivers to the ban.

because one is by issuing post (embassy/consulate, for anyone living in that country regardless of birth, nationality etc) and one is by foreign state of chargeability. It is state of chargeability we are interested in for DV.
Like I said ;)
Because there are some exceptions/waivers to the ban.
Thank you very much my dear!! You answered all my questions, I will stop for tonight
By the way, on my way back home from work I was thinking about the DV while I was driving and I asked my self a question that I wished I didn't ask
Is it the right think to leave Canada and move to the USA if I make it in the DV process
If I was living in a poor country where life is hard I think it makes sense but I'm happy here in Canada, so living my situation now and go to the USA and found myself in the unknown, probably I will struggle to find the first job .... Actually I might cancel my DS260 and leave my visa (if I get any) to someone who needs it more. What USA could give me more than what Canada is giving me
I know you might say it is a personal choice but it would be great if I get feedback from people who were happy where they lived before they move to the USA

Thank you very much my dear!! You answered all my questions, I will stop for tonight
By the way, on my way back home from work I was thinking about the DV while I was driving and I asked my self a question that I wished I didn't ask
Is it the right think to leave Canada and move to the USA if I make it in the DV process
If I was living in a poor country where life is hard I think it makes sense but I'm happy here in Canada, so living my situation now and go to the USA and found myself in the unknown, probably I will struggle to find the first job .... Actually I might cancel my DS260 and leave my visa (if I get any) to someone who needs it more. What USA could give me more than what Canada is giving me
I know you might say it is a personal choice but it would be great if I get feedback from people who were happy where they lived before they move to the USA

It’s a hard choice to make. There are always trade-offs. I guess from Canada, the main one would be the greater breadth and depth of opportunities in the US, vs a much more comfortable health and social security system in Canada. I know people who are both extremely happy in Canada and wouldn’t dream of moving here, and those who have moved to the US as soon as they could - it really is individual. You need to decide for yourself what the pros and cons of each country might be. I know it sounds trite, but make a list... you might surprise yourself.

True!!
About the list, I know exactly what I will look for in the USA, I work in IT and when you say IT you would say USA, bye the way if I get the visa and decide to go, it would in CA somewhere between San Francisco and the silicon valley, I always had the dream to work for big IT companies like FB, GOOG or AMZ and I think if I go there I would be one step closer to realize my dream
But also I hear a lot about racism in the USA (probably it is not the right place to talk about) and also crimes so my question would be: Do I make a conservative choice and stay here in Canada where I already have a life that I like or follow my dreams and take the risk...
It would be my 4th immigration but this one is very hard because my biggest fear in life is regrets, I don't want to get to 50 years old with regrets...

True!!
About the list, I know exactly what I will look for in the USA, I work in IT and when you say IT you would say USA, bye the way if I get the visa and decide to go, it would in CA somewhere between San Francisco and the silicon valley, I always had the dream to work for big IT companies like FB, GOOG or AMZ and I think if I go there I would be one step closer to realize my dream
But also I hear a lot about racism in the USA (probably it is not the right place to talk about) and also crimes so my question would be: Do I make a conservative choice and stay here in Canada where I already have a life that I like or follow my dreams and take the risk...
It would be my 4th immigration but this one is very hard because my biggest fear in life is regrets, I don't want to get to 50 years old with regrets...
Silicon Valley/Bay Area is FULL of immigrants, and very immigrant friendly in general. So at least here (I live here too), that’s not really a problem (you always get someone ...but it’s not pervasive here at all).
However be aware it is also stupidly expensive, so be careful when looking at salaries that you are also looking at cost of living - and factor in medical costs. Traffic is horrendous so ideally you want to live not too far from work, or live near a train station that can get you there. Much more of an issue than racism here!

Silicon Valley/Bay Area is FULL of immigrants, and very immigrant friendly in general. So at least here (I live here too), that’s not really a problem (you always get someone ...but it’s not pervasive here at all).
However be aware it is also stupidly expensive, so be careful when looking at salaries that you are also looking at cost of living - and factor in medical costs. Traffic is horrendous so ideally you want to live not too far from work, or live near a train station that can get you there. Much more of an issue than racism here!
Thank you very much for your input, I really appreciate it
I know it is very expensive, in your opinion how much do I need per month after taxes to have a decent life and save a bit each month?
I watched this video but I think the lady is rich so it is not a good example
About the traffic, I live in Greater Toronto Area so I know what is horrendous traffic, but I think it is a bit worst in San Francisco
Also I watched a video on Youtube but couldn't find it, they talk a bout an IT guy who works in the financial area of San Francisco but decided to live in Auckland because it is less expense and he is saying it takes him only 3 minutes to get to his job which is not that bad

You could look further afield than San Fran. Seattle Washington has a lot of IT companies - Microsoft for one. Traffic can be pretty awful here too but I think that'll be the same in pretty much every major city.
As for should you or shouldnt you move, only you can answer that but I do like and agree with Susie's suggestion of making a list, write down all the good things as well as the bad things for both staying and moving... keep reading over it, adding to it, changing it and hopefully your choice will become clearer with time.

Maybe not so weird if you look at it in context of past months where
1)Nepal was much higher in those months, as expected given where the concentration of CNs is
2) Iran was much lower in previous months, so possibly August was clearing AP cases to get issuance before year end

Arbitrarily chosen months earlier in the fiscal year eg Feb, Nepal 390 vs Iran 4; April Nepal 383 vs Iran .... 0.

But if you look at other immigrant categories you see a considerable increase in number of visas being issued to the Iranians like category IR5. Iranians have got 111 IR5 visas versus 431 for China and 178 for India.
As I said two months ago DOS has changed or expedited the way they process waivers for countries affected by Travel Ban since July. I guess for DV2020 we will see, on average, 50 diversity visas issued to the people from Iran each month. It is certain that having an immediate family in the US is a very strong waiver for a diversity lottery selectee.

But if you look at other immigrant categories you see a considerable increase in number of visas being issued to the Iranians like category IR5. Iranians have got 111 IR5 visas versus 431 for China and 178 for India.
As I said two months ago DOS has changed or expedited the way they process waivers for countries affected by Travel Ban since July. I guess for DV2020 we will see, on average, 50 diversity visas issued to the people from Iran each month. It is certain that having an immediate family in the US is a very strong waiver for a diversity lottery selectee.

No. Iranians have just seen a small jump from almost no approved cases per month, to a few dozen. The cases that have been approved have had a VERY long time to wait. Waivers can only be started at the interview, and take months to process, and then there are enhanced background checks also that delay Iranians more than applicants from other countries. . The visas we are seeing approved in July/Aug/Sept are probably cases that were interviewed in October to Jan/Feb. So - DV2020 will see a similar pattern of almost no visas being approved in the early months, and a few being approved in the later months.

Thank you very much for your input, I really appreciate it
I know it is very expensive, in your opinion how much do I need per month after taxes to have a decent life and save a bit each month?
I watched this video but I think the lady is rich so it is not a good example

I honestly can’t answer that ... you’d have to do some research on pay, rent /house prices in various towns in the areas etc. I don’t know what you’d consider a good life, whether living somewhere with a good school district is important to you, etc.

Seattle is a really lovely city, and yes the tech industry is significant and growing there (and house prices rising as a result too). The weather is too much rain for us, but I can’t imagine it’s much worse than many/most places in Canada so maybe fine for you? We have friends who live centrally and on bainbridge island - very different lifestyles but they are all happy. (We do however also have friends who left after a couple of years because they couldn’t stand the extent of the rain.)