• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2020 All Selectees

Copyright idea sounds great :cool:

Users can’t print the spreadsheet - I disabled download capabilities a couple of years ago when I discovered someone who never went through the AOS process was downloading to their website and charging fees to provide both AOS and CP guidance. I mean this dude wasn’t even a selectee, their only experience was based on their brother being a selectee who went through CP back in the days of DSP122 and DS230 paper documents.

The things people do I can only imagine how many more out there did that too.
What about "NoLongerFree"?

Hahaha or
..."CommonSenseAtAFee"

People need to understand the VB numbers are going to move faster this year, you will be current much earlier than you think. Background checks vary on individual circumstances. Very hard to predict.
Hello Simon,
Do you say this just based on a few reported of high case numbers or there is any other reason?

Hi all,
I could need some advice.

CN: EU43xxx => pretty high, but I expect it to become current super late.

I am a Computer Science master student from Germany with a little dream: moving to California (Silicon Valley) => #1 place for programmers
Next year around August, I want to either study or intern in Silicon Valley. I have pretty high chances to do a semester abroad at Berkley.

How should I proceed with my Green Card application without losing the chance to get an F1 or potentially J1 visa? (issue: filling the DS 260 is an immigration intent)
Is it possible to get an F1/J1 visa when I have already shown the intent of immigration through filling the DS 260?

I know you hate the question but how safe am I with EU43xxx?
If I would actually get the Green Card that I would rather do a semester abroad in Japan/China to experience one more different country before moving to the US. But if I wouldn't get it, then I would rather study or intern in the US to build up a network.

Hi all,

I am a Computer Science master student from Germany with a little dream: moving to California (Silicon Valley) => #1 place for programmers
Next year around August, I want to either study or intern in Silicon Valley. I have pretty high chances to do a semester abroad at Berkley.

How should I proceed with my Green Card application without losing the chance to get an F1 or potentially J1 visa? (issue: filling the DS 260 is an immigration intent)
Is it possible to get an F1/J1 visa when I have already shown the intent of immigration through filling the DS 260?

If I would actually get the Green Card that I would rather do a semester abroad in Japan/China to experience one more different country before moving to the US. But if I wouldn't get it, then I would rather study or intern in the US to build up a network.

Getting a NIV following a demonstrated immigrant intent is pretty tough AFAIK, however there are known stories of past selectees who were granted B/2 visas for some quick work related trips to the US following a demonstrated immigrant intent with their DS260 form submission. No one here can guarantee your being granted with a F1/J1 visa following your demonstrated immigrant intent. You’ll have to flip the coin and decide on your own on how to proceed.

Hi all,

Wouldn't a J-1 visa kill your green card chances anyway? Because you'd have to return home for at least 2 years?

Wouldn't a J-1 visa kill your green card chances anyway? Because you'd have to return home for at least 2 years?
Not every J visa is subject to the 2 year rule. As a matter of fact for most EU countries it's very uncommon to fall under it, unless program you're participating in has explicit funding from the government, etc.

Not every J visa is subject to the 2 year rule. As a matter of fact for most EU countries it's very uncommon to fall under it, unless program you're participating in has explicit funding from the government, etc.
Yes, I had a J1 visa before. This rule doesn't apply to me.

Thanks for your advice. It will be a tough decision then.

@Feynman. I'm in a similar situation as yourself. I'm a Dutch 2020 selectee in the EU30XXX range. I'm also planning to travel to the US on a J1 visum this year as part of my PhD, from Oct-Feb. As I don't expect to be current till late spring (optimistic with the low density) or summer (realist version), I should be back for the medical and interview by the time my number goes current. To avoid issues with the J1, I will submit my DS 260 after I have obtained the J1 and probably not until I'm safely in the US. I have filled most of the DS 260 out or noted down the information so I can find it when I need it. Since I'm a 100% sure I want to process, I've begun collecting my documents and scanning them so I can send them if ask me to submit while I'm abroad. The only issue is the police report with its limited duration, but I'll request that either in September (valid for a year) or when I visit home/return.

I think there's advantage to going to the US even if you get an interview. That network that might get you a workvisum can also help you once when you emigrate, so it will be easier/faster to find a job once you arrive. That's my take on it, anyway.

Once one gets the green card and enters the US, can the person travel back to their home country and finish schooling there? E.g. If I have 3 years of education left, and will only (hopefully) get the green card in a year, can I come back and finish 2 more years? I can travel to the US and back every 2-3 months if needed during the 2 year period.

Have 2020 DV selectees started getting requests for supporting documents yet? It’s been little more than 1.5 months since the DS-260 was submitted. What has been the average time period between submission and request of documents ?

this sounds so funny but on a real though, it would be a perfect "business"

Only you would have to answer each question no matter how dumb it would sound and without telling the "clients" refer to the 2011 link blah blah blah.

I think because of anxiety, jitters and all things bad, common sense tells most of us, "Bye friend, I will see you once you are done filling the form and done your interview"
Now let me think of a company name we love you all.
Guys I believe you are making fun of me for nothing. When you see the spreadsheet, no one take notes on which form does a person need to print? Really there was no reason to put copyright to me. I really do not understand all this sarcasm. For what? Because I wrote what I need for the AOS process on a piece of paper? Really for that?

I was drawn from Oceania: OC 6XX. It sounds low, but going by previous years it would seem my number won't be called until March/April 2020. Is that too late?

My case is a bit complicated as I'm a G4 visa holder already residing in the US. When I completed the online application I checked the box to request my case be transferred to USCIS to apply for an adjustment of status in country. I've received a letter from the State Department stating the following:

"To determine whether you are eligible to adjust your status you must contact USCIS to obtain instructions on how to make an appointment with your local USCIS office. When contacting your local USCIS office they may inform you that you will not be eligible to file your adjustment until your case number is current and available for processing."

The problem is, I can't find anything on USCIS' website that addresses my situation (only other A/G visa types that have diplomatic immunity). Unlike other G visa types, I do not have diplomatic immunity with a G4, so it should not be necessary for me to file Form I-508 immunity waiver.

I don't seem to be able to contact USCIS to determine my eligibility for adjustment of status. What do I do?

Also, now that I have submitted my DS-260, does that mean I can't leave the US until the process is finished next year? Or is that not an issue until I have my interview next spring?

Guys I believe you are making fun of me for nothing. When you see the spreadsheet, no one take notes on which form does a person need to print? Really there was no reason to put copyright to me. I really do not understand all this sarcasm. For what? Because I wrote what I need for the AOS process on a piece of paper? Really for that?

Chill! Relax. No one is making fun of you. The subsequent conversations from when I posted about us starting a business wasn’t poking fun at you or the fact that you took some notes after going through the spreadsheet and used it as a reference point. It’s more of a generalized conversation regarding people with half the knowledge we have in the forum charging DV selectees money and claiming they know about the DV process, when they really don’t.

I was drawn from Oceania: OC 6XX. It sounds low, but going by previous years it would seem my number won't be called until March/April 2020. Is that too late?

My case is a bit complicated as I'm a G4 visa holder already residing in the US. When I completed the online application I checked the box to request my case be transferred to USCIS to apply for an adjustment of status in country. I've received a letter from the State Department stating the following:

"To determine whether you are eligible to adjust your status you must contact USCIS to obtain instructions on how to make an appointment with your local USCIS office. When contacting your local USCIS office they may inform you that you will not be eligible to file your adjustment until your case number is current and available for processing."

The problem is, I can't find anything on USCIS' website that addresses my situation (only other A/G visa types that have diplomatic immunity). Unlike other G visa types, I do not have diplomatic immunity with a G4, so it should not be necessary for me to file Form I-508 immunity waiver.

I don't seem to be able to contact USCIS to determine my eligibility for adjustment of status. What do I do?

You should start by going through the DV2020 AOS thread in this forum. The first post on page one of that thread has a link to the AOS process spreadsheet - a tool I highly encourage you to be familiar it - it has a step by step guidance on DV based AOS process. Then post subsequent AOS related questions on the AOS thread itself, and not on this general DV 2020 selectee thread.

Also, now that I have submitted my DS-260, does that mean I can't leave the US until the process is finished next year? Or is that not an issue until I have my interview next spring?

You can leave the US before your CN becomes current if you need to. However couple of things to be aware of:
  • Your AOS petition itself may get denied if you file for AOS immediately following your return to the US from an international trip.
  • A new NIV petition will most likely be denied due to your demonstrated immigrant intent (if you need to apply for a NIV in order to return to the US).
  • Admission or re-admission to the US is never guaranteed unless you’re a USC - you’re admitted or re-admitted at the discretion of the CBP.
As already stated in my previous response above - go through the AOS process spreadsheet and post subsequent AOS related questions on the 2020 DV AOS thread for better guidance.

Chill! Relax. No one is making fun of you. The subsequent conversations from when I posted about us starting a business wasn’t poking fun at you or the fact that you took some notes after going through the spreadsheet and used it as a reference point. It’s more of a generalized conversation regarding people with half the knowledge we have in the forum charging DV selectees money and claiming they know about the DV process, when they really don’t.
Thank you!!!