• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2020 All Selectees

I dont think trump will extend anything, I think pp10014 was purely for election. He is a business man and he knows its harming the economy ~ especially temp visas. But for his base, he was seen as the one who stopped immigration.

I will personally try to enter usa between 1 and 20th Jan. im more worried, biden will quickly introduce covid related border closure, similar to Canada etc.
I think you misunderstand his motivations. Go ahead and book, but I’d suggest you get a changeable ticket.

And if you think decisions were only taken for election purposes, i present to you the firing of the Defense Secretary today.
You always try to say something against others without describing the likelihood happening the mentioned fact, personally i see some truth in what paul try to say . Did you see the Biden twitter about the pandemic , there might be a chance to have a border close for a temporary period.

You always try to say something against others without describing the likelihood happening the mentioned fact, personally i see some truth in what paul try to say . Did you see the Biden twitter about the pandemic , there might be a chance to have a border close for a temporary period.
I’ve said before I think Trump could well extend the ban as long as he can just because he’s vindictive. The post you responded to was an example of Trump being vindictive. You’re entitled to have a different opinion, even if you’re taking about a different topic than what you responded to.

Wao, I do recall this forum, so inspirational and educative during the start of the dv journey before things turned upside down. Meanwhile congratulations to those who made it. The rest of us, the hustle continues.

Hey everyone,
for those who are named plaintiffs of the Morrison case? Is there - besides his telegram group - any other forum/group chat where plaintiffs can get further infos and exchange?

Hey everyone,
for those who are named plaintiffs of the Morrison case? Is there - besides his telegram group - any other forum/group chat where plaintiffs can get further infos and exchange?
Twitter is the best platform IMO, he also puts updates on his FB page.

Quick question...

(assuming the immigration ban is not extended past 31.12)

I remember when boarding UK/USA/Canada flights at Istanbul Airport, there is extra control before you are even let to the check in desk.

Any chance I could be denied boarding by them? Visa in my passport is with conditions obviously, subject to 2 bans. I have a stamp in my passport and boarding card to Turkey to prove that I would have been outside of Schengen for 2 months at the time of boarding.

What I mean is.. any chance someone could make an issue that visa is with conditions and my explanation won't make a difference I.e. prove that ban expired etc?

Quick question...

(assuming the immigration ban is not extended past 31.12)

I remember when boarding UK/USA/Canada flights at Istanbul Airport, there is extra control before you are even let to the check in desk.

Any chance I could be denied boarding by them? Visa in my passport is with conditions obviously, subject to 2 bans. I have a stamp in my passport and boarding card to Turkey to prove that I would have been outside of Schengen for 2 months at the time of boarding.

What I mean is.. any chance someone could make an issue that visa is with conditions and my explanation won't make a difference I.e. prove that ban expired etc?

Airlines screw up sometimes, so go prepared.

If you are a FY2020 Diversity Visa Selectee who did not receive a diversity visa on or before April 23, 2020, you are a class member in the certified Gomez class.

This means that you are now automatically a party in the Gomez lawsuit – you are before the court as a plaintiff, just like any other plaintiff in Gomez or any of the other related lawsuits (Aker, Mohammed, Fonjong, and Kennedy), and you may benefit from a positive decision on the merits by receiving one of the 9,095 reserved visas. It is not necessary for you to join another lawsuit (or to pay any money to do so) in order to participate as a class member or to be eligible for any remedy from the case, including possibly receiving one of the 9,095 visas the court has set aside for FYI 2020 Diversity Visa selectees.

Your official status as a Gomez class plaintiff was established in the court’s September 30 order, in which Judge Mehta ruled that “[c]lass certification is now required to place putative class members before the court as parties . . . and to ensure their eligibility for the visa numbers that the court has ordered the State Department to reserve after September 30 pending final judgment.”

In certifying the class, Judge Mehta turned all FY2020 Diversity Visa Selectees who haven’t yet received visas into parties before the court. If you are a FY2020 Diversity Visa Selectee but did not receive a diversity visa on or before April 23, 2020, you are now before the court as a plaintiff in the Gomez class action.

However, Judge Mehta also determined “that the number of class members exceeds the number of visas reserved by the court, meaning that many class members will not actually obtain a visa.” Unfortunately, Judge Mehta is correct that many class members will ultimately not receive a visa, because he decided to reserve only an additional 9,095 diversity visas for the thousands of class members.

If the certified class ultimately prevails on the merits before Judge Mehta, each class member (and each class member’s derivative family members) is eligible for one of the 9,095 reserved visas. The government, however, has appealed Judge Mehta’s decision, which could have a material impact on the outcome of our case before Judge Mehta, including possibly reducing the number of reserved visas to zero. While Gomez counsel do not believe any court will increase the number of visas reserved for the class, the appellate court could overturn Judge Mehta’s decision to reserve visas. The appeal will also prolong the time it takes for the case to reach a final judgment on the merits.

There is nothing in Judge Mehta’s order to indicate that Gomez class members will have a better chance at obtaining one of the reserved visas if they are also plaintiffs in any new, duplicative lawsuits. This makes sense because class certification is a legal tool meant to benefit similarly situated individuals in one lawsuit, without the individuals having to initiate separate lawsuits on their own.

Additionally, now that the court has certified a class of FY 2020 Diversity Visa selectees, it would likely be improper to give individuals who join a new case priority in obtaining one of the 9,095 visas because, under the rules of class actions, all class members must be treated fairly. While the court has not yet determined how the 9,095 visas will be allocated, it is highly unlikely that priority will be given to individuals who have paid money to join another lawsuit, without some more compelling reason to do so.

If you are a FY2020 Diversity Visa Selectee who did not receive a diversity visa on or before April 23, 2020, you are a class member in the certified Gomez class.

This means that you are now automatically a party in the Gomez lawsuit – you are before the court as a plaintiff, just like any other plaintiff in Gomez or any of the other related lawsuits (Aker, Mohammed, Fonjong, and Kennedy), and you may benefit from a positive decision on the merits by receiving one of the 9,095 reserved visas. It is not necessary for you to join another lawsuit (or to pay any money to do so) in order to participate as a class member or to be eligible for any remedy from the case, including possibly receiving one of the 9,095 visas the court has set aside for FYI 2020 Diversity Visa selectees.

Your official status as a Gomez class plaintiff was established in the court’s September 30 order, in which Judge Mehta ruled that “[c]lass certification is now required to place putative class members before the court as parties . . . and to ensure their eligibility for the visa numbers that the court has ordered the State Department to reserve after September 30 pending final judgment.”

In certifying the class, Judge Mehta turned all FY2020 Diversity Visa Selectees who haven’t yet received visas into parties before the court. If you are a FY2020 Diversity Visa Selectee but did not receive a diversity visa on or before April 23, 2020, you are now before the court as a plaintiff in the Gomez class action.

However, Judge Mehta also determined “that the number of class members exceeds the number of visas reserved by the court, meaning that many class members will not actually obtain a visa.” Unfortunately, Judge Mehta is correct that many class members will ultimately not receive a visa, because he decided to reserve only an additional 9,095 diversity visas for the thousands of class members.

If the certified class ultimately prevails on the merits before Judge Mehta, each class member (and each class member’s derivative family members) is eligible for one of the 9,095 reserved visas. The government, however, has appealed Judge Mehta’s decision, which could have a material impact on the outcome of our case before Judge Mehta, including possibly reducing the number of reserved visas to zero. While Gomez counsel do not believe any court will increase the number of visas reserved for the class, the appellate court could overturn Judge Mehta’s decision to reserve visas. The appeal will also prolong the time it takes for the case to reach a final judgment on the merits.

There is nothing in Judge Mehta’s order to indicate that Gomez class members will have a better chance at obtaining one of the reserved visas if they are also plaintiffs in any new, duplicative lawsuits. This makes sense because class certification is a legal tool meant to benefit similarly situated individuals in one lawsuit, without the individuals having to initiate separate lawsuits on their own.

Additionally, now that the court has certified a class of FY 2020 Diversity Visa selectees, it would likely be improper to give individuals who join a new case priority in obtaining one of the 9,095 visas because, under the rules of class actions, all class members must be treated fairly. While the court has not yet determined how the 9,095 visas will be allocated, it is highly unlikely that priority will be given to individuals who have paid money to join another lawsuit, without some more compelling reason to do so.
Good stuff
Always good to acknowledge source especially if it's a credible one to instill more confidence to members

https://innovationlawlab.org/blog/gomez-v-trump-what-does-it-mean-to-be-a-class-member/
By: Jesse Bless, Director of Litigation, AILA

And also
http://britsimonsays.com/current-status-for-dv2020-cases/

Hi group,1.do you think that Kennedy plaintiffs amd others will get priority on the final order like the first time on september ?2. What do you think are the chances this to happen

Hi group,1.do you think that Kennedy plaintiffs amd others will get priority on the final order like the first time on september ?2. What do you think are the chances this to happen

The Kennedy suit was included PRIOR to the September 30th deadline, so theoretically could benefit from being "named" plaintiffs. However, the final order would determine if that prioritization (being a remaining named plaintiff) would be the method of priority, OR whether it will be left to the government to decide the priority. If it is the latter, then cases at the embassies (AP and previously cancelled appointments), plus lower case number group 4's is probably who would get the 9095. Again - it depends on the final decision and the way he writes the order.

The Kennedy suit was included PRIOR to the September 30th deadline, so theoretically could benefit from being "named" plaintiffs. However, the final order would determine if that prioritization (being a remaining named plaintiff) would be the method of priority, OR whether it will be left to the government to decide the priority. If it is the latter, then cases at the embassies (AP and previously cancelled appointments), plus lower case number group 4's is probably who would get the 9095. Again - it depends on the final decision and the way he writes the order.
Thanks brit for fast reply, If the prioritization happens by the Judge on final order,will the high case nr have chance like it was on september when first named plaintiffs got priority from KCC ?

Thanks brit for fast reply, If the prioritization happens by the Judge on final order,will the high case nr have chance like it was on september when first named plaintiffs got priority from KCC ?

Again, we have to wait and see what the judge orders.

Ap cases are many. Cancelled appointments are many. 9095 visas cannot even be enough for this group of people. I highly doubt group 4 getting a chance .

Ap cases are many. Cancelled appointments are many. 9095 visas cannot even be enough for this group of people. I highly doubt group 4 getting a chance .

Not all AP cases will be approvals.
Not all ready cases will interview.
We don't know how the order will be written, or operated.

We just have to wait and see without over optimism Or pessimism.

Not all AP cases will be approvals.
Not all ready cases will interview.
We don't know how the order will be written, or operated.

We just have to wait and see without over optimism Or pessimism.
I think there is a chance that named plaintiffs will get priority (there are 2000 people named) and then remaining visas for others.